Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Walking Dead - US

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Walking Dead - US Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 31/10/2010 4:51:16 PM   
kata

Made sure my Auntie has set her DVR for this. 

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 91
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 31/10/2010 6:48:49 PM   
Chojin

Wow, my evening just got a whole lot better.

I'm not fussed about the quality, i'll re-watch it tomorrow probably when I can get it in better quality :)

ETA = 15 minutes. Thanks guys :)

P.S. - Is it possible to have a spoiler thread where you can also discuss the comics?

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 92
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 31/10/2010 7:19:14 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin
P.S. - Is it possible to have a spoiler thread where you can also discuss the comics?

Sure - just name it something descriptive so there's no confusion.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 93
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 1/11/2010 9:26:44 AM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

When is it being shown on FX? If it's being shown commerical free as Vertigo says, I might wait as I can't find a decent .avi file of the Walking Dead.

Friday 5th - 10pm. Enjoy!

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 94
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 1/11/2010 7:45:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

A great pilot - best I have seen since BSGs.

What really got me was how affecting it was. The gore was fine, and the makecup fine, but this is one of the few zombie pieces where I honestly felt how tragic they were. That poor half zombie, spending a day barely pulling itself along a park - in one look (brilliant FX here) you got what Darabont was saying. His show isn't going to make fun of zombies, have them be goofy and silly. They are humans, they had lives, loves and passions. And now they drag themselves through a park, slowly rotting.

The human element also helped. By keeping it small at first we got to know some of the people trying to function in the world gone mad.

A brilliant start to the series.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 95
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 1/11/2010 7:50:08 PM   
Mr Terrific

Basically, what Rgirvan44 said.

An excellent start to a tv series.  It does have a couple of shocking moments, but it mostly focuses on the human characters and their reactions to the new zombie world.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 96
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 1/11/2010 10:25:23 PM   
4aces

Oh my. This was truly an awesome start of the series. Emotional, exciting but not overplayed. This could be my next favorite show ^^

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 97
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 1/11/2010 10:55:58 PM   
Captain Black

Y'know, while I didn't think it was perfect most of the time when I was watching this I kept thinking about what makes a great and stand-out television series (rather than just a really well-executed one) - it's got to be something new and also really utilise the format. It's got to be technically excellent. It needs to be broadcast at just the right time. And The Walking Dead absolutely hit those marks. It's got that wonderful pacing that you don't always see on time-constrained television (though in fairness it's a recognisable quality of AMC), Darabont really lets the show breathe and treats the material with a respect and seriousness that elevates it above any potential trappings. Anyone watching this for the gore will surely go away getting an awful lot more besides - it's a study in morality, and it's by turns brutal, intense and moving. And the last line suggests it may have a nice sly sense of humour too.

Oh, and the ratings were fantastic.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to 4aces)
Post #: 98
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 12:59:41 AM   
The Mighty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Y'know, while I didn't think it was perfect most of the time when I was watching this I kept thinking about what makes a great and stand-out television series (rather than just a really well-executed one) - it's got to be something new and also really utilise the format. It's got to be technically excellent. It needs to be broadcast at just the right time. And The Walking Dead absolutely hit those marks. It's got that wonderful pacing that you don't always see on time-constrained television (though in fairness it's a recognisable quality of AMC), Darabont really lets the show breathe and treats the material with a respect and seriousness that elevates it above any potential trappings. Anyone watching this for the gore will surely go away getting an awful lot more besides - it's a study in morality, and it's by turns brutal, intense and moving. And the last line suggests it may have a nice sly sense of humour too.

It pretty much beat everything that aired on NBC, ABC and The CW last week. I wouldn't be surprised it AMC renewed this for a second season tomorrow.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm a fan of Robert Kirkman's superhero comic book series, Invincible. Does anybody know how closely Walking Dead will be following the comic book, or how similar the pilot was to the first few issues? I'd be interested in reading the comic book, but I'd rather wait if the storylines in both are going to be identical.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 99
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 7:41:59 AM   
morg1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

quote:

It pretty much beat everything that aired on NBC, ABC and The CW last week. I wouldn't be surprised it AMC renewed this for a second season tomorrow.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but I'm a fan of Robert Kirkman's superhero comic book series, Invincible. Does anybody know how closely Walking Dead will be following the comic book, or how similar the pilot was to the first few issues? I'd be interested in reading the comic book, but I'd rather wait if the storylines in both are going to be identical.

Already done

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 100
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 10:06:45 AM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: morg1138

quote:

quote:

Already done

Not yet. Trust me, I work for FIC, and if we haven't had a second season officially confirmed by AMC yet, no-one has.

There's absolutely no reason to think they wouldn't though.

"Define 'interesting'"

All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 101
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 10:10:23 AM   
Felix

Vertigo, apologies for treating you like FX's technical support, but any idea why I cant seem to set this for a series record on my V+? The first episode seems to be standalone.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 102
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 10:11:06 AM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

They aren't going to be identical - there are new characters not in the book for a start, so they have their own stories to be used. Darabont has said that the books are a path for the narrative, but that they'll move off that sometimes but always rejoin it later - something Kirkman is happy with as he's also in the writer's room and happy to explore some avenues he wasn't able to do in the comic.

Plus, as a WD comic fan myself, it means I don't always know what's going to happen, which is cool.

(I have no idea how they're going to treat Woodbury. I hope they attempt it though.)

"Define 'interesting'"

All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 103
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 10:15:35 AM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Vertigo, apologies for treating you like FX's technical support, but any idea why I cant seem to set this for a series record on my V+? The first episode seems to be standalone.

Ummm.... sounds more like you need Virgin tech support, not FX tech support!

(That was code for 'I dunno'...)

Me, I have Sky+  - all series linked and everyfink.Believe it or not, even though I've seen 1 - 3, I'm deliberately not watching 4 and 5 (on my desk in front of me now) or 6 (on way soon) so I can watch it go out 'live'.

"Define 'interesting'"

All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 104
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 1:11:28 PM   
kata

Best TV I've seen for a very long time.  I was sucked in almost immediately, that rarely happens nowadays.  The bit in the hospital at the beginning was seriously tense and much better than the opening for 28 days later imo.  By the time the Zombie wife walked onto the porch and tried the door i was sold for the entire series.  I was expecting it to be good but i wasn't expected to be blown away by it as much as i was.

As for that V+ issue i can only imagine it's because the first episode is an hour and half and the rest are an hour? 

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 105
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 1:43:50 PM   
DJ Satan

Loved it. Blah, blah, blah.

The only thing I'm not sure on and a potential plot hole - how long can someone in a coma survive on a single IV drip with no-one to change it?

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 106
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 4:43:42 PM   
elab49

First, I did really enjoy it - and for many of the reasons that RGirvan says, too. I think it really helped that Lennie James was just stunning - a brilliant actor and a really nicely written exposition set-up with his son. Lincoln was pretty good as well - given his last outing that I saw was that godawful Strike thing on Sky I did wonder about the casting, but kudos to him. And ditto on that tragic half thing in the park.

But new? I have to admit I was slightly irritated that we got yet another repeat on the opening scenario of blind/coma in the hospital and waking up afterwards. I mean, if they wanted to skip the initial event, which is fair enough, it would have been nice to see them try something a bit different or use more imagination instead of just copying something else that has already been copied. I don't think we're anywhere near far enough down the road to suggest it's got any kind of groundbreaking stuff going on, just a well told story so far, with a reassuringingly maintained mood.

I did think a bit about The Stand, though - especially when DeMunn turned up and reminded me of Ray Walston's character, sitting there in his chair. And it always seems odd when zombie storys seem to feature mainly characters who appear never to have heard of zombie stories. Surely nowadays it would be slightly common currency in terms of reference? So heading into the heart of a city really wasn't all that bright. Those kind of things do kind of niggle. And please, whatever!, don't end up with a love triangle soap opera in the middle

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 107
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 6:45:56 PM   
sanchia

I quite like the title sequence with the quite heavy bass strings to the music and the simple selection of pictures which is quite evocative.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 108
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 2/11/2010 7:51:31 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Was ace really enjoyed it. Well done everyone, I was also worried about Lincoln but he like the rest of the cast were superb. I want to watch more right now.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 109
RE: The Walking Dead - US - 4/11/2010 7:04:31 AM   
Rob

I'd pretty much echo most of the sentiments here. I got into the comics purely as a result of the sneak preview a few months ago and just couldn't picture Lincoln giving a good account of Rick but do you know what, I thought he was tremendous. Not good, not passable but excellent. Considering for the vast majority of the episode it's really just him and Lennie James' amazing Morgan it's testament to these two that they kept the suspense and pathos up.

Really cracking start and hope they keep the quality going.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 110
RE: The Walking Dead - 4/11/2010 11:52:03 PM   
furrybastard

You can read the first full issue of The Walking Dead here and see how it compares to the first episode (quite closely!) --> Clicky

If you're interested, you can buy the first collection for a fiver on BookDepository (Click) and it's well worth checking out!

Really liked the first episode, looking forward to the rest. Pity it's only six episodes for the first season. After seeing the ratings, I wonder if AMC are regretting giving it such a short order!

(in reply to Jeffy)
Post #: 111
RE: The Walking Dead - 5/11/2010 6:33:38 PM   
paulyboy

Somewhat predictable and not exactly original, but put together tremendously well. From the acting to the excellent score by Bear Mccreary it's quality stuff.

Special mention has to go to the montage mid episode when Grimes goes back to the park to put that zombie out of his/her misery and Morgan is attempting to shoot his wife, suprisingly poignant.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 112
RE: The Walking Dead - 5/11/2010 7:28:35 PM   
Captain Black

Lennie James was really amazing in that scene. Lincoln really impressed me too; normally I find him a bit aloof and smug, but I thought he balanced the opposing resourceful/broken-man aspects of his character.

And Darabont aced that hospital escape sequence in pitch-blackness; very impressed by that.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 113
RE: The Walking Dead - 6/11/2010 5:17:32 PM   
thepluginbaby

Caught the pilot last night. I feel like I've been inundated with zombies lately, but even this felt really fresh. Has a real slow burn, that only TV can do. The bit when the wife tries to open the door to the house was brilliant. Or when he shoots the crawler in the park. Really focuses on the humanity of the zombies in a way that surpasses Romero, his recent movies anyway. Still does the horror excellently, the bit at the end... Christ! No doubt there will be alot of those kind of moments throughout the series. As well as characters getting bitten and slowly degenerating into the undead. Possible zombie intelligence evolution?

Definitely will be tuning in for the next one. Engrossing TV with zombies!

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 114
RE: The Walking Dead - 8/11/2010 8:51:05 PM   
Zaphod121

Officially renewed for second season: CLICK

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 115
RE: The Walking Dead - 8/11/2010 9:03:29 PM   
Felix

I'm never eating blackcurrent jam again.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 116
RE: The Walking Dead - 8/11/2010 9:13:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

Damn fine piece of television entertainment. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 117
RE: The Walking Dead - 8/11/2010 9:22:20 PM   
Felix

I dont think I've ever seen 45 minutes of TV that tense before. It didnt let up from start to finish.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 118
RE: The Walking Dead - 8/11/2010 9:37:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

The whole thing is going to make a great 6-7 hour long movie. 

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 119
RE: The Walking Dead - 8/11/2010 10:32:38 PM   
Mr Terrific

A good, tense episode. Not as good as the pilot IMO. 
Only having a vague knowledge of the graphic novel, I was sure alot of people were going to die.
An espisode with alot of forshadowing of future events...I am hooked.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Walking Dead - US Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI