Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 8:17:25 AM   
Beetlejuice!

I think it's time for a spin-off list from the Official Top 100 Movies thread. I previously listed our 50 highest rated drama's, which you can find here:  http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2219730

So now it's time to cheer things up a bit with our 50 highest rated comedies. I've taken once again the liberty to use various comments from everyone's threads for the rundown. I've also listed the funniest scene in each film but I've left it open in some cases (either I haven't seen the film or I can't decide) so feel free to suggest what should be placed there.

All films have been up for review in the Official Top 100 thread so if you think you may not have rated them then feel free to do so here.
Post #: 1
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 8:20:59 AM   
Beetlejuice!

COMEDY

A film whose main purpose is to amuse and induce laughter, comedy deals with the preposterous and absurd aspects of human behavior with a sense of humuor. The comedy is usually meant to make the viewer feel good, projecting the foibles of characters onto the screen for the audience to use as scapegoat for the ridiculousness of life. Always a hugely popular genre, there are many types of screen comedy: slapstick (the Mack Sennett shorts), screwball (The Lady Eve), conceptual (Schizopolis, The Meaning of Life), satirical (The Seven Year Itch, Bob Roberts), the spoof (Airplane!), anarchic (Duck Soup), black comedy (Dr. Strangelove)...the list goes on. Comedy in films can also be an effective way of commenting on aspects of society, examining hypocrisies by showing how absurd they are (Dr. Strangelove, for example, makes fun of the arms race and the Cold War by exposing how world leaders act like bullies in a playground sandbox); some comedy, such as the black comedy, seeks to deal with the painful aspects of life in such a way that the humour not readily apparent in such things as Nazism or racism is used to diffuse the horror surrounding it. Even if a comedy is meant to disturb (such as the media satire Man Bites Dog), its primary goal, regardless of happy ending or likable characters, is to look at all things with a sense of humour.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 2
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 8:29:48 AM   
Beetlejuice!

50. Superbad (2007)

Three teenagers embark upon a chaotic quest to buy illegal booze for a party. Raucous comedy produced by Judd Apatow (Knocked Up) and co-written by star Seth Rogen.

I'm aware that some people aren't fond of this but I can't really see why. It's probably the most accurat portrayl of modern teen-life I've ever seen and it's absolutley fucking hilarious from start to finish. Those that don't like it are surley to old to properly remember 'the good old days' - Shawshank Prisoner

Third time having seen this and it still makes me laugh. The scenes with Fogle and the cops are the strong points, although Seth's headbutt is hilarious. Could be one of the best teen comedies around. - wrenster

Hilarious and surprisingly well-acted. And I have been to parties like that before, though, sad to say, I have not yet found myself in the positions of Messrs Cera or Hill. - Pigeon Army

Funniest Scene
(suggestion?)

Post #: 3
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 8:39:24 AM   
Beetlejuice!

49. Bad Taste (1987)

Rarely has a title been more fitting. Peter Jackson's first film, shot with friends at weekends over a four-year period, is a prosthetic-squelching, bowel-popping, Z-movie riot.

Very fun to watch, it is gross, cheap, stupid and delights itself in it. It really has heart and a very crazy humor. - fernetcontonica

Alright but no Evil Dead II - Rhubarb

Peter Jackson just having lots of gory fun and why not. - Beetlejuice!

Funniest Scene
(suggestion?)

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 1/10/2009 8:40:20 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 8:59:08 AM   
Beetlejuice!

48. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983)

The Pythons walk us through the seven ages of man, including 'Birth', 'War' and 'Live Organ Transplant'.

The weakest Python film but that really just goes to show how good the others are, not how bad this is. - Gimli The Dwarf

More patchy than even Flying Circus. Some of it is great, some it not very good at all. - Piles

I've never understood the love of Python - DCMaximo

Funniest Scene
There is of course the grotesque fat man eating in the restuarant (pictured above) but I'm always in fits of giggles at Michael Palin in drag at the dinner party with Death towards the end.

Post #: 5
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 9:15:59 AM   
Beetlejuice!

47. Blazing Saddles (1974)

Mel Brooks' raucous spoof of the western starring Cleavon Little as the black sheriff who teams with Gene Wilder's gunslinger to fight racism and corruption.

Anarchic comic look on Westerns. Any film that references Dodge City is good with me. - DCMaximo

A bit of a mess but a deliberate one. When it breaks the 4th wall at the beginning it's fine, but the ending becomes a bit too silly. - Miles Messervy 007

Mel Brooks can be a bit hit and miss at the best of times, but Blazing Saddles is one of his best comedies and that ending is still a riot (literally as well). - Beetlejuice!

Funniest Scene
I prefer that bonkers ending but let's go with the scene that Empire recently picked as a classic scene. Where Gene Wilder shows the new sherriff why he's known as the fastest draw in the West.

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 1/10/2009 9:16:21 AM >

Post #: 6
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 9:29:54 AM   
Beetlejuice!

46. Ghostbusters (1984)

"Who you gonna call?" A great idea, top notch cast (Murray, Aykroyd, Weaver) and lively script gel to overexcite schoolkids and prompt a sequel.

The praise for this film must be based upon childhood nostalgia, for the film hardly stands up now. As controversial as this probably is, the film is nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is. It's got it's moments, and it's starts off well, but it soon descends into a below-par comedy. It pales next to the likes of Back to the Future. - jamesbondguy

Ghostbusters is one of those films that I can stick on when I'm upset and end up happy by the end of it. It's also a film that I can stick on when I'm happy and end up seemingly on drugs by the end of it such is my euphoria. It's so well written, so well acted, it's such a good concept; in my eyes, it's perfect. There is nothing in the film I can fault; from Murray's superb performance to those of his co-stars Ramis and Aykroyd, the astonishingly funny script, and the set pieces. Ghostbusters really is just one of those defining films of the 80's, yet for such a reviled decade I know no one who dislikes it, and for good reason. - Epiphany Demon

It's good fun, but pales in comparison to the truly entertaining greats from the 80s. - Gimli The Dwarf

Funniest Scene
Bill Murray's deadpan delivery provides a huge majority of the laughs, particularly whenever he finds himself in an unusual situation like when he finds himself alone with a possessed Sigourney Weaver. Let's not forget little Rick Moranis as well.

Post #: 7
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 1:25:42 PM   
Beetlejuice!

45. The Graduate (1967)

Boy loves girl but has a fling with her mum in this classic comedy drama that turned Dustin Hoffman into a sex symbol.

I really bloody dislike this film, so much I want to punch Dustin Hoffman. - impqueen

The atmosphere of the film is brilliant. The strip club was almost Taxi Driver-esque, but what I really have in mind is the music. It suits the film as perfect as possible. The film has a lot of stylistic touches, camera-work wise, and I think they also add to the film. I'm not sure why the film resonated with me so much, but it did. - Miles Messervy 007

A classic and very important film of the 60s. Hoffman's ace. - Beetlejuice!

Funniest Scene
"One word: Plastics" - the generation gap between Hoffman and his parents and friends provides a lot of humour throughot the awkward graduation party.

Post #: 8
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 1:36:43 PM   
Beetlejuice!

44. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2007)

A reporter from Kazakhstan offends America while journeying from coast-to-coast in a quest to meet Pamela Anderson. Comedy from Sacha Baron Cohen and 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' director Larry Charles.

Incredibly funny, thought perhaps not as perfect as it could have been. The nude-scene, for all its wrongness, has to be the funniest of the decade. No, make that century. No, wait... - Dantes Inferno

An excruciatingly funny film that isn't really very much of a film at all. The comedy is perfect; cringe-worthy and laugh-out-loud hilarious at the same time. Cohen's creation, going around causing chaos in situations supposedly unscripted, is almost genius; playfully stupid whilst orchestrating some of the best hoaxes seen on film, bringing out the insecurities, ignorance, and offensiveness of more than a few average blue-collar Americans. Therein lies the controversy; several critics, including Mark Kermode, claimed that the film exploited and stereotyped Southern America as racist purists. Perhaps it did, but "Borat” simply puts on screen situations that it sees the humour in. Sure, a lot of film's set-ups involve stereotypical southerners, but their ignorance and hypocrisies are undeniably hilarious –most notably the Rodeo owner who dreams of an America where homosexuals are thrown into jail, and tells Borat that his appearance makes him look like a Muslim. But the film isn't wholly about these people. The scenes where Borat has driving lessons, visits the feminists, or learns how to be the perfect gentlemen are hilarious in their own right, and have nothing to do with this stereotype. The film simply shows the humour in everything, whether it's sweeping statements about American puritism, or Borat bringing an obese whore to a dinner party. The only set back of the film is that, in truth, it's not really much of a film at all. There's nothing done here that couldn't also be done on television or (budget aside) on YouTube. It doesn't really have much of a narrative, and it's more of a string of somewhat inconsistent set-ups held together by a lust for a busty blonde. - Piles

A bit hit and miss (the nude wrestling scene went on far too long, the prolonged attempt to kidnap Pamela Anderson was rather painful), but generally hilarious. - Pigeon Army

Funniest Scene
As Dantes points out above, the nude wrestling scene is pant wettingly funny, gross and totally unforgettable.

Post #: 9
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 1:38:44 PM   
Olaf

Out of interest, how is the order decided?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 10
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 1:56:52 PM   
Rinc

I think it's just the average ratings of the top 100. In which case people need to rate Ghostbusters higher!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 11
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 1:59:13 PM   
Beetlejuice!

43. Play it Again, Sam (1972)

Woody Allen emits volley after volley of super sharp one liners as the neurotic film critic trying to get some satisfaction after the breakdown of his marriage.

One of Woody Allen's best performances in this sweet romantic comedy. - Beetlejuice!

Very, very funny - MOTH

Funniest Scene
Amongst a series of wrong dates, Allen's character jumps on one of the women who tells him she's a nymphomaniac. "How did I misread those signs?" - A typically hilarious one-liner from the great man.

Post #: 12
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 2:00:52 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Spot on Rinc, the films are placed in order of the highest rated average from The Official Top 100 thread, go check it out Olaf - new voters always welcome.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 13
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 2:05:02 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

You're using my reviews? I feel honoured Just noticed the grammar mistake in my Graduate review. Whatev.
BTW, I have different favourite scenes for all 3 I've seen:
Meaning of Life (Could you also make it a 10 if I haven't voted for it yet?) - Every Sperm Is Sacred
Blazing Saddles - Little's character kidnapping himself
The Graduate - the ending.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

Post #: 14
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 2:12:54 PM   
Beetlejuice!

42. Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)

John Cusack plays a hitman having an emotional crisis who returns to his hometown to attend a 10 year high school reunion. A fresh idea, a top notch star, a classy soundtrack and a script bristling with relentless wit make for one of the finest US films of the 90s.

John Cusack? Dan Akr...Akryo...Ayrk...Dan Ghostbuster? Pah. Minnie Driver is my favourite thing about this film. I love her. Love the film too, but I loooooove Driver. That's 6 O's love. That's special. - UncleJun

Definition of a best friend? After 10 years absence, will help you hide a dead body and THEN ask questions. - elab49

I never loved this as much as some. Don't know why really. Passes the time well though - Gimli The Dwarf

Funniest Scene
Whenever Alan Arkin's stressed out psychologist is on screen. "No don't give it a shot! Don't shoot anything!" - A good couple of  years before The Sopranos / Analyze This

Post #: 15
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 2:22:30 PM   
Beetlejuice!

41. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)

Superb British caper comedy. Written by ex-Python John Cleese, who stars as a stiff British barrister confronted by double-crossing jewel thieves Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline, Michael Palin and Tom Georgeson.

I used to like it, and there are still some laughs here (John Cleese naked in the apartment is still a stand-out). Still, the presence of Cleese and Michael Palin helps the fact that I can't shake the feeling that this is anything but sub-Monthy Pyton. Dated, but funny. - Dantes Inferno

One of the funniest films I've ever seen. Has a distinctly British feel and is also the best post-python film around. - shawshank prisoner

One of the 10 best live-action comedies from the last 35 years - Gimli The Dwarf

Funniest Scene
When nasty meets funny as Kevin Kline's evil criminal eats tortures poor Michael Palin with some fish and chips.

Post #: 16
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 6:54:31 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

Spot on Rinc, the films are placed in order of the highest rated average from The Official Top 100 thread, go check it out Olaf - new voters always welcome.

Sure, will do. Do I rate the most recent entries or the existing 100?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 17
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 7:19:27 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Superbad = Win
Blazing Saddles I really need to watch again, it's been years.
Ghostbusters I'd happily fellate if it had a member.
Borat is just excruciatingly funny.
A Fish Called Wanda is brilliant.

Good start.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

Post #: 18
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 1/10/2009 11:53:56 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

Sure, will do. Do I rate the most recent entries or the existing 100?

Probably easiest way for you to do it is rate all that you've seen in the top 100 (found in the first post) then just rate the next films as they go up for review.
It's down to you if you want to go through some of the previous pages of films to rate.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 19
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 12:09:12 AM   
Beetlejuice!

40. The Producers (1968)

Two theatre producers' plans to stage a musical called 'Springtime For Hiltler' proves disastrously succesful in Mel Brooks' brilliant 1968 comedy.

Relatively hilarious film, but the pacing of both the jokes and the narrative is somewhat fitful. - Pigeon Army

Loads of great comic performances (Wilder, Mars, Mostel, Shawn). Brilliant script, which is classic in its tastelessness, particularly one of the funniest musical songs of all time, "Springtime for Hitler". It's not only hilarious because of its tastelessness but also because of the audience's reaction to it. - Miles Messervy 007

Funny, funny stuff from Mel Brooks at the top of his game. - Beetlejuice!

Funniest Scene
Gene Wilder at his hysterical best when his blue blankie gets taken off him.

Post #: 20
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 12:18:21 AM   
Beetlejuice!

39. Clerks (1994)

Wired, outrageously confident and filthy, director Kevin Smith's dazzling comic debut was shot for just $27,000.

Funny stuff and re-watchable. I also like the sequel. - benmharper

Gotta admit, though i did quite enjoy Clerks i didn't really understand the fuss - i mean i thought it was funny and enjoyable but i would never call it a masterpiece. - barkers101

Clerks is a film of two sides. One is the extremely quotable comedy ("It's important to have a job that makes a difference, boys. That's why I manually masturbate caged animals for artificial insemination”) and the other is Dante's ark. The former works very well, particularly thanks to Randall. The latter is a bit uneven. It is sometimes ironic, and sometimes moronic (necrophilia definitely took the whole thing too far). Still, Randall and Jay make the film good even when it lags. I like the film's cultural references and use of music, too. Fun flick - Miles Messervy 007

Funniest Scene
That moment where you discover just how many men your current girlfriend has been intimate with is exploited to great effect here.

Post #: 21
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 12:33:03 AM   
Beetlejuice!

38. American Psycho (2000)

Mary Harron ably transforms Brett Easton Ellis' disgusting satire into an amusing, broad black comedy. Stars Christian Bale as the titular nutter.

I really liked how the film captured the escence of the book, althought quite toned down (Many episodes in the book couldn't possibly be shown in a mainstream film) it makes it up by packing up the derangement very well at a cinematic pace. Ussually books kill films, but this is one of the cases it doesn't. - fernetcontonica

No matter how many times I see the "Hey Paul!" THWACK scene, I still laugh like Banzai the hyena. How I wish Batman would thwack people with an axe. They could even bring back the visual 60s sound effects. THWACK! Take that Joker - UncleJun

I'll give away something here, in saying that if my top 100 films of the 21st century thread on EmpireOnine had made it down to its finish (which it was a long way away from doing), then this film would have been sitting right at the top of it. The story of Patrick Bateman, whose nightly bloodlust is spilling over into his days where he's also a high powered stock broker for his father's company, is one that is told with brilliant skill and cutting satire. Mary Harron's handling of Bret Easton Ellis' book – which happens to be one of my favourite of all time – is sublime, turning what was an ridiculously controversial, un-linear, and sprawling narrative into a cinematic story. The overly violent bits from the book (which would probably result in the film getting banned) are left out completely along with the irrelevant subplots, and what's left is the essential moments that make up Ellis' character study. Christian Bale's performance as Bateman is sublime – verging between the utterly serious and the utterly ridiculous with great skill. He's backed up by a whole plethora of great supporting actors, including Reese Witherspoon, Willem Dafoe, Justin Theroux, Jared Leto, and Chloe Sevigny, but none of them make quite the impact that Bale does as the lead. A fine character study, a biting satire on consumerism, conformity, and the yuppie revolution, or a tense thriller – whichever way you look at "American Psycho”, it remains a brilliantly made and expertly portrayed film. - Piles

Funniest Scene
Bateman goes into a manic rant and dance discussing Huey Lewis before taking out his colleague with an axe. "Is that a raincoat?" "Yes it is!" - great delivery from Bale.

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 2/10/2009 12:34:05 AM >

Post #: 22
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 12:36:50 AM   
paul_ie86

The delivery of that line is awesome.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 23
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 12:44:22 AM   
Beetlejuice!

37. Airplane! (1980)

The Zucker brothers' riotous send-up of 50s B-movies and 70s disaster flicks not only spawned a whole legion of sight-gag-laden spoofs but also introduced the world to the concept of Leslie Nielsen as a comic actor.

One of the best films to watch when your drunk, without a doubt. - Beetlejuice!

Catastrophically high percentage of unfunny jokes - Gimli The Dwarf

Epic piece of hilariousness that will contest with Some Like It Hot and the Pythons’ films for a top 3 comedy placing in my book. - Miles Messervy 007

Funniest Scene
"Surely you can't be serious."  "I am serious... and don't call me Shirley."
Quite possibly the funniest line in any movie ever!

Post #: 24
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 1:00:59 AM   
Beetlejuice!

36. It Happened One Night (1934)

Posh totty Claudette Colbert and hack Clark Gable begin a rocky romance on the run in this classic multi-Oscar-winning romantic comedy directed by Frank Capra.

A charming enough rom-com that lays down the blueprint formula for less successful Sandra Bullock / Renee Zellweger / Reese Witherspoon comedies of this era. It's telling that this picked up 5 of the top Oscars for that year whilst modern day versions don't have a chance. - Beetlejuice!

Not as funny as it wants to be, nor as engaged as it thinks it is. Gable and some decent gags save the film from catastrophe. - Pigeon Army

Funniest Scene
There's constant bickering between the two characters showing the battle of the sexes but a standout is Gable's gloating over his hitchhiking skills only to be surpassed by Colbert's legs.

Post #: 25
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 1:57:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

I think it's just the average ratings of the top 100. In which case people need to rate Ghostbusters higher!

Ghostbusters is about as funny as getting poked in the eye. Repeatedly.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 26
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 2:15:34 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Ghostbusters is about as funny as getting poked in the eye. Repeatedly.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 27
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 4:28:14 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Sorry! I think my general dislike of Bill Murray is a factor. saying that, I like the second one more

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 28
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 2/10/2009 4:48:12 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Sorry! I think my general dislike of Bill Murray is a factor.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 29
RE: The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES - 4/10/2009 2:17:04 PM   
Beetlejuice!

35. In Bruges (2008)

Ken, a hitman with history, and new-to-the-profession Ray are sent to Bruges by their boss after Ray's bullets claim an innocent victim. Playwright Martin McDonagh's thriller, starring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes.

In Bruges might have Brendan Gleeson in and Colin Farrel actually does some good acting for the first time in too long, but for all its left of centre difference I don't really find the film that good - Professor Moriarty

Ray and Ken are Irish hitmen, sent to Bruges (it's in Belgium) after Ray cocks up his first job. This is the set-up for what is possibly one of the funniest films of the last ten years, possessing a script that is almost poetic in its profane, un-PC glory. McDonagh weaves an uneasy chemistry between the placid Ken and the uncouth Ray, and their banter is intoxicatingly barbed and hilarious. It's a friendship-of-convenience that feels human and likable, partly because of McDonagh's witty dialogue and partly because of the two lead actors. Colin Farrell is on fantastic form as Ray, playing him like a petulant child on the surface, but possessing a cleverly-hidden depth that is revealed slowly and effectively as the film goes on. Giving the best performance of the film is Brendan Gleeson as Ken, and while Ken is the kind of character Gleeson could nail in his sleep, here he puts everything into it and creates an immediately sympathetic character despite his profession. As a third wheel who enters stage left later in the film, Ralph Fiennes is also excellent, giving a hilarious performance as a crime boss with a common muck accent and principles to betray it. McDonagh's direction captures the archaic beauty of Bruges without losing sight of the film's dark undertones, and scenes like Ken's final scene in the bell-tower and the final sequence on the film set present a director with visual style to burn. In Bruges is a gem that will probably never get old, and is layered and brilliant. - Pigeon Army

It's good, and the dialogue between Farrell and Gleeson is a joy, but for some reason i don't think it's outstanding like a lot of people do. It's funny and delivers a suitably dramatic ending although i still find Ralph Feinnes' villain to be a bit cartoonish. - Rinc

Funniest Scene
"Don't say you didn't have it comin'! Short Ass!" - Farrell karate chops a midget

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> The Empire Forum's 50 Greatest COMEDIES Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI