Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion Thread Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion Thread - 26/9/2009 2:31:58 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Although this is up for discussion in October, I see no reason why those who have read it already shouldn't discuss it here as well.

What I will say here is that this thread is for discussion of the book in its entirety so spoilers will be present. Of course, courtesy suggests that you do at least put fair warning, but spoilers are generally going to be the case, rather than the exception.

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 26/9/2009 2:32:48 PM >

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion T... - 26/9/2009 2:45:41 PM   
Rhubarb

I like the big when the badgers fly off in the helicopter away from the explosion.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion T... - 26/9/2009 6:55:03 PM   
Olaf

It's Five not 5 I was looking for this today but couldn't find it, hopefully I'll get it before the end of the month cos it's a fantastic book.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3
RE: SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion T... - 27/9/2009 11:50:07 AM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

It's Five not 5 I was looking for this today but couldn't find it, hopefully I'll get it before the end of the month cos it's a fantastic book.

Ah. And here was me thinking I wouldn't know what was going on in the book, not having read Slaughterhouse 1 - 4!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 4
RE: SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion T... - 20/10/2009 12:43:28 PM   
Captain Black

Has no one finished reading this yet? Come on, it's only about 150 pages.

Also: is brilliant. I'd recommend Cat's Cradle next if you liked this.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 20/10/2009 6:06:59 PM >

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 5
RE: SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion T... - 25/10/2009 12:29:56 AM   
Acho

I reserved it with my library online, never heard back from them, dropped in the other day, only to be told that the title they'd reserved against my name was a copy that has been missing since 2001. Genius(!) So my new copy is on reserve, so I'll hopefully start in a few days. Should get it done by the end of the month - fingers crossed!

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 6
RE: SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion T... - 6/12/2009 7:32:04 PM   
Super Hans

Can anybody post on here or do you have to have joined the book club? I just finished reading Slaughterhouse Five today having been recommended by my sister and really enjoyed it! Considering that constant switching between time periods (and planets!) I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and enjoyable it was to read.

I'm not sure I really got the no-doubt numerous themes in the book but I liked the clever touches that I did notice - the way the story is told in a similar way to how Pilgrim describes the Tralfamadorian books as being laid out for example. I also liked the way it made me think about certain things in a slightly different way (the crucifixion of Jesus for example).

I'm certainly keen to read more Kurt Vonnegut after that!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5 - An Empire Book Club Discussion Thread Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI