Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dexter

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Dexter Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dexter - 25/10/2011 3:55:55 PM   
jobloffski

Invisitexted thoughts...

Given the age of Olmos' character he could have been preparing for a hell of a lot of years for his 'end of days' scenario, may have 'prepared' many 'disciples' for the turn of events and they might begin acting out on the teachings they may have been given, meaning all hell really could break loose in Dexter 6 as the end of series trailer after series 5 promised...

Highly speculative of course, but would be a good balnance in the 'dramatic mix' to the apparently above board shepherd of lost sheep stuff involving people who are into religion, so who knows what they could be minded to do if they too truly start to believe THEIR final judgment is about to arrive...can the good shepherd continue to keep them in check?

A killer being advised by a 'figment' would be a good move in a Series of Dexter, and easily acceptable to anyone used to Harry's appearances, and since the rumour arose, I haven't really noticed anyone but Hanks react to Olmos being there, so out on the end of the speculative limb I'm already on, Olmos' character as advisory 'figment' to many more who have been under his tutelage than just Hanks, with Hanks being dealt with relatively earlier in the series than normal but only as aprelude to the situation being blown wide open with many more end of days believers waiting in the wings? Can Dexter deal with a nemesis who is already dead with it being his influence, not his continued actions driving the plot?

That said, gotta cover my arse by saying it is probably more likely that Olmos will face judgement at the hands of Miami's own 'avenging angel'

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 181
RE: Dexter - 25/10/2011 8:18:04 PM   
beebs_

Still not sold on this season. And yeah the Saw aspect of this ep was a bit... hmmmm. But I didn't mind it. Maybe I just love Mos Def...

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 182
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 3/11/2011 10:39:58 PM   
TheGodfather

Started watching it on sunday and finished it tuesday:

Dexter - Season 4
Extremely addictive and by far the best season so far.The story is brilliant and Dexter`s character get more and more depth as the season goes along. But the real credit in this series needs to go to John Lithgow as the badguy: he`s the real hero of the show. What a brilliant performance he gives! And when you give the season such a shocking and horrific ending like this, something that still goes around in my head now, it`s finished.
Absolutelly brilliant!

9,5/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 183
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 19/11/2011 12:42:47 PM   
Workshed

Anyone watching season 6? I'm on episode 7 now - what are your thoughts?

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 184
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 19/11/2011 4:00:05 PM   
jobloffski

Thoughts: it's gotten better as it goes along, and Tom Hanks' son is doing fine as the good seeming baddie with occasionally the darkest of eyes ( which, when he's doing such intensity rather spookily makes him look the absolute, total spit of his old man).

Quite liked the departure of the 'road trip' and the harking back to earlier storylines adding to the broader sweep of the series as a continuous story, and Deb's developing career path has been both funny and enough to make you want to swear as much as she does. Neat little brushstrokeon the Dexter canvas, shaking up the character mix by having someone become their boss that if you've ever been newly bossed by someone who used to be on the same grade as you or become the boss of people you used to
be 'among' will be a particularly well covered situational development.

One of the growing strenghths of the series over the years has been the development of the supporting cast of characters along with Dexter, mostly things remain as they ever were, but with little shifts that make some people see each other in new ways, etc. That kind of attention to detail, to characters who can hold the attention when the protagonist isn't there, is the strength of many American shows, and I'd say, other than Quinn (who talks like he finds it hard to even breathe and hasn't really been fleshed out much) you could pretty much centre a show on most of the main characters. Angel, or Vince, Debs, LaGuerta, are very much their stars of their own story rather than just ciphers supporting the main character, and it's testament to the writing that a mild change of facial expression in Angel can convey his own career frustration conflicted with his friendship for Debs and anger fuelled by his sense of being betrayed by his ex all at the same time.

As for series seven, clearly I'm digging it but as for how it compares for the other series' I'll reserve my Judgement (geddit?).

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 185
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 19/11/2011 5:19:26 PM   
ChickMagnet

Well its been renewed up to season 8 now, here's hoping it doesn't become too much of a good thing. One rumour that does seem to be slowly building is that Jennifer Carpenter (Debs) has asked to be written out of the show as she's struggling playing the on-screen sister of her ex-husband. If its true I do think that it would be a huge blow to the series as I class Debs as the best character on the show, even above Masuka and Dexter.

Thoughts on this season? It's gotten better as its gone on, Colin Hanks performance has been brilliant and the story itself seems really interesting, I still get the feeling that the Professor is going to end up being a figment of his imagination but a couple of other thoughts that hit, firstly Dexter's road-trip is going to come back to haunt him, particularly as there was a witness seeing him chase Trinity's kid out of the house, secondly, I do get the feeling that Colin Hanks' sister is going to end up being the victim chosen for the 'Whore of Babylon'.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 186
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 20/11/2011 12:55:11 PM   
beebs_

I think this season has been pretty shite barring Mos Def's Brother Sam... who is no longer with in it!! Booo.

I've found Colin Hanks and Prof Almos rather disappointing. Dex hardly seems to be paying attention to what the hell is going on with the main case.

I'm disappointed after a rather dull season last year we've got this dross filler filled season.

I hope they end it after at season 8. And I hope he gets nabbed.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 187
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 21/11/2011 7:05:54 PM   
ElephantBoy

Eight seasons is a bit much IMO, but than again I might just be thinking that because of how much of a let down five was. I really hope it picks things back up again for six.

I agree that Debs is the best character of the show and Jennifer Carpenter is a brilliant actress who also impressed me in the Exocism of Emily Rose.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 188
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 22/11/2011 7:38:26 PM   
Reidy

I would hope that Jennifer Carpenter doesn't want to leave, bar Dexter she is the only worthwhile character at the moment. Beyond Massuka's one liners, the rest are bland characters without any interest in them.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 189
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 29/11/2011 4:11:56 PM   
Scruffybobby

SPOILERS and random musings

So Gellar is a "figment" as suspected. They did actually have me switching between "he's real/he's imaginary" several times so that worked out quite well. Looking forward to see it where goes now.

Nor sure what to think of the intern fella now - I think Angel might well be laying the smackdown on him come the end but I'm a bit worried about Jamie. La Guerta really has been badly treated by the writers this year. I don't really buy her covering up the boss's crimes. Joey's being a bit of a silly boy isn't he?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 190
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 30/11/2011 10:40:46 PM   
Reidy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

So Gellar is a "figment" as suspected. They did actually have me switching between "he's real/he's imaginary" several times so that worked out quite well. Looking forward to see it where goes now.

Nor sure what to think of the intern fella now - I think Angel might well be laying the smackdown on him come the end but I'm a bit worried about Jamie. La Guerta really has been badly treated by the writers this year. I don't really buy her covering up the boss's crimes. Joey's being a bit of a silly boy isn't he?

My problem with all that has just been described is that I don't care about any of it. It has become more difficult to invest in these characters.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 191
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 30/11/2011 10:58:31 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reidy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

My problem with all that has just been described is that I don't care about any of it. It has become more difficult to invest in these characters.

I'm still enjoying it but I think the show peaked at season 4, I'm not sure how they can keep it interesting over the next 2 planned seasons.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 192
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 1/12/2011 1:08:36 AM   
beebs_

Man, this week was painful. Finally the big "reveal". Ha!

The whole dead prostitute thing was damn predictable too. From the moment LeGuardia stepped in...

Meh to it all!

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 193
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 1/12/2011 7:52:11 PM   
Reidy

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

Man, this week was painful. Finally the big "reveal". Ha!

The whole dead prostitute thing was damn predictable too. From the moment LeGuardia stepped in...

Meh to it all!

Vince's intern having the fake hand as well. Also very dull.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 194
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 2/12/2011 10:36:26 AM   
paulyboy

It's been a bizarre season thus far, all just a bit weird.

Between DDK, Brother Sam, Dexter's road trip, LaGuerta & Matthew's hooker woes and Vince's intern now miraculously being a bit fucking weird I'm just not sure what to make of it all quite frankly. It certainly lacks the focus previous seasons have had.

Still interested to see where's it's going mind.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 2/12/2011 10:37:38 AM >

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 195
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 19/12/2011 9:08:57 PM   
Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

Well that was pretty underwhelming.  Other than Deb's rather worrying realisation and that other rather overdue discovery there really wasn't anything going on. Will be interesting to see where it goes now that she knows Dex is a killer but the show is going to have to do something pretty special next season.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 196
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 19/12/2011 11:11:48 PM   
Chojin

still not matched Season 4, but then what can?!

I think Dexter does season cliffhangers/bombshells like no other, it's the reason you keep watching, waiting for that inevitable POW!

Overall Dexter seems to have fallen into a formula which it doesn't stray far from and i'm hoping there are some big shake ups next season after that finale.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 197
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 20/12/2011 9:34:52 AM   
paulyboy

**Massive Fooking Spoilers!**

Finally, that should have happened at the end of the last season!

I'm also kind of hoping that ending will put Deb's 'feelings' to bed also, one can hope!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 198
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 20/12/2011 1:49:35 PM   
beebs_

So! The final 10seconds make up for the proceeding 720minutes!? Hot damn!

I agree with the whole Deb is in love with Dex thing. No, just no.

It has be en an atrocious season. Do terrible. I thought some of Deb's development was good, but to have her "realise" she loved her neo like that was odd.

I have to come back next year to.see the beginning of the end...

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 199
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 20/12/2011 8:21:09 PM   
jobloffski

Bit harsh on this season, dudes. I rather enjoyed the ride, maybe not the most focused run, but the friendship with Brother Sam was good stuff for the show, as was the theme of forgiveness, and how even that is something that goes bad when Dexter tries it.

Even Quinn had more to do this year, and he's more interesting as a screw up. Good office drama stuff with Deb being promoted above her limits, not totally with the 'She loves Dexter' stuff, but the word is she's on the way out of the series, so her exit door seems to have been pushed open just a bit.

BIG BIG BIG potential drama for Deb and Dex next year, given the serial killers who nearly killed her are so wrapped up with her brother and maybe the groundwork for her unravelling big style has been done with her therapy this year. The one person she realise kept her grounded above all others, perhaps confusing gratitude for that with loving him 'wrongly' and then, bam, the work situation is rocky and her rock crumbles to dust.

I rather liked Colin Hanks as 'Travis' (Taxi Driver in-joke in self appointed avenging angel terms).

Not the best season, but still more compelling than most of the shite out there!

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 200
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 20/12/2011 8:21:38 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Great ending to a pretty meh season.

I wonder if the whole debs in love with dex thing is down to a possible way out for debs, if she's finding it hard working with her ex-husband. LOL at the ironic storyline to do it tho, if that's the case.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 201
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 20/12/2011 8:24:55 PM   
jobloffski

When speaking with a mate, I wondered if playing brother and sister had not exactly helped their communication as a couple outside work, and then pondered how confusing it might to play the recent stuff, having to pretend to be in love with someone who is your pretend brother, who used to actually be your husband.

She needs to leave for the sake of her sanity!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 202
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 27/12/2011 4:40:46 PM   
JagLover

My least favourite of the Dexter seasons to date. Some good moments but weak, unfocused, lazy writing let it down far too often.

Even the finale, which was the best episode of the season, had glaring plot holes.

Let us hope it is indeed only two more seasons and they can start to enter the end game, tighten things up, and no longer tread water.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 203
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 8/2/2012 10:23:30 PM   
TheGodfather

Finished yesterday:
Dexter - Season 5
After the great fourth season with that brilliant last scene it was always hard to top that in the next season. And they didn`t. I found this season, although engrossing and addictive, not as good as the fourth. The story wasn`t that gripping and well worked out as that of the fourth season and Dexter`s enemies weren`t as great as The Trinity Killer.
It still is a great show but I hope for a better season six.

8,0/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 204
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 6 - 13/7/2012 10:13:55 AM   
paulyboy

First 2 minutes from Season 7, shown at Comic-Con this week, needless to say massive spoliers for anyone that clicks the link: Click Me!

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 205
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 7 - 1/10/2012 9:54:07 PM   
paulyboy

Anyone catch the season 7 opener yet?

The ending is an even bigger cliffhanger than the season 6 finale, I honestly didn't expect them to progress things that quick, superb stuff, here's hoping the season continues likes this.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 206
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 7 - 2/10/2012 1:27:27 PM   
Workshed

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Anyone catch the season 7 opener yet?

The ending is an even bigger cliffhanger than the season 6 finale, I honestly didn't expect them to progress things that quick, superb stuff, here's hoping the season continues likes this.

THIS.

Really good opener and I can't wait to see what happens next. The cat is well and truely out of the bag.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 207
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 7 - 2/10/2012 7:36:50 PM   
nomimalone

Yup, that was bloody brilliant and already much better than the whole last season.

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 208
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 7 - 3/10/2012 1:08:30 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Amazing first episode. I am so glad the last season didn't end with that because, well, I would have been clawing my eyes out by now.

I love how Dexter still tried to play innocent after she caught him at the beginning though. They needed to have her find out soon, or there would have been Annie Wilkes cries of revisionism across the Internet. You can't have that reveal at the end of the last season and then have Dexter continue as normal with Deb accepting his paper thin excuse. She had to find out soon, so I'm glad they have moved things on in this way.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 209
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 7 - 3/10/2012 1:26:29 PM   
shool

Heres a question.

I didnt bother with Season 6, How easy would it be to start from Season 7?

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Dexter Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI