Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dexter fights Cancer

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Dexter fights Cancer Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dexter fights Cancer - 17/12/2010 7:33:02 PM   
Gazz

I was half won over by the latest season of Dexter thanks mostly to the efforts of Michael C Hall himself and the whole plot concerning Jordan Chase. I really enjoyed the thing they had going with the characters and grew to detest Chase with every passing episode. Unfortunately I think they brushed the whole Kyle Butler and Trinity Killer angle way to early and felt it was a little bit of a cop-out. I would have also liked to see Dexter deal with his guilt some more and carry some of those dark vibes from the fourth season well into the fifth. I just think they brushed over the fourth season too quickly overall but I did like the "big bad" (well he was... sort of) they turned to in this one and the confrontation it built to was a great moment. Overall it's not my favorite season but it's no deal breaker either. I'm just hoping the didn't jump the shark with the season 4 finale.

I'd rate the seasons in this order 4, 1, 3, 5, 2 (As much as I loved the whole "Bay Harbour Butcher" story I felt it was somewhat hampered by the whole Lyla thing).

(in reply to Workshed)
Post #: 151
RE: Dexter fights Cancer - 5/1/2011 3:59:57 PM   
shool

Yes! Great Season. I've only just caught up with this.
This is one of the best seasons yet. My order would be
1, 5, 2, 4, 3

Thought Peter Weller was great and truly detestable. Jonny Lee Miller wasnt that great as a baddy but still good enough.
Thought the way it panned out with Quinn was a bit tangled as he basically knows that Dexter is a killer. Will be interesting to see how/if that pans out.
Sorry to see Julia Stiles leave, but it was never going to happen any other way really and will make for a more interesting season 6.
Bring it on.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 152
RE: Dexter fights Cancer - 5/1/2011 6:56:58 PM   
Scruffybobby

I would rank the seasons as follows

4. Lithgow is just awesome
2. Loved the whole "Butcher" thing. Can't help but feel sorry for Doakes though
1/5 Have to tie these two. 1 was surprising, scary and funny as hell and better than the book. 5 had lots of great moments and Julia Stiles was brilliant. Johnny Lee Miller was a bit underwheling though and Dexter really ought to have been nailed bang to rights on more than one occasion
3. Was fine as it went, and Jimmy Smits was good but overall it was the least satisfying.

There's a pretty fine margin between them all though.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 153
RE: Dexter fights Cancer - 6/1/2011 10:43:14 AM   
MBeard

My turn to rank aswell.

4. Lithgow made the season and the ending was, possibly, the best ending to a season of any TV I have ever watched. Truly shocking.
2. I loved how Dexter felt threatened at times and the Lundy parts were good. Shame about the Lyla part as it wasn't massively needed (and the CGI for Doakes at the end annoying at as it looked poor).
5. Not a bad season and came at a good time - Dexter needed to slow down just a little bit after an amazing season 4 in preparation for Season 6.
1. A great introduction to the characters - although not told quite as good as the book.
3. It was a little too slow and I didn't find myself enjoying it near as much as the other seasons. Still better than most junk nowadays though.

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 154
RE: Dexter - 12/3/2011 12:48:12 PM   
Sway

I've only *just* jumped on the Dexter bandwagon now.     

*****Inevitable spoilers ahoy********

Started S1 about a month ago and just finished S5 last night.  I have to say, although it's not the best t.v show out there, it's highly enjoyable.   I thankfully had heard/read absolutely no spoilers or anything before watching the whole show so I barely even knew what it was about, apart from a 'nice' serial killer.  Was weirded out when I finished it last night and started googling the cast etc to discover Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter had been married.  Guess I was just so utterly convinced by their portrayal of siblings that I simply can't imagine them as anything other than that off screen.    The other strange thing for me, is that despite not being over emotionally attached to any one character in particular I was fairly gutted about Rita's death.  Still couldn't move on in S5, and I was really irritated by Dexter showing far more emotion at Lumen leaving than he ever did about Rita's death.   I'm a fairly unromantic person, and hate 'love interests' in films/t.v that just don't sit right with me. I understand Dexter found somebody just like him in Lumen, but Rita was just so good to him and the whole Lumen/Dexter storyline frustrated me.  Especially because the kids were written off to their grandparents just so he could have a season without having to deal with a complicated family life.  I always thought Rita would have been angry about Dexter just letting the kids go like that.

Anyway, I'm rambling because it's all fresh in my head and I have a lot of thoughts going around.

So for my own ranking of the series so far from most favourite to least;

Season 1 - Because I had no idea what to expect and I loved the novelty of Dexter killing but being 'nice'. 
Season 3 - Perhaps it's because I loved Santos in The West Wing, but I enjoyed Jimmy Smits being in this season.  You just knew it was going to end horribly but it still kept you guessing.
Season 4 - I think far too many bigged this one up for me.  I got about 3/4 of the way through and wondered when the 'AMAZING' stuff was going to happen.  Lithgow irritated me a lot.  But obviously the finale was pretty big.
Season 2/Season 5 - Can't decide which one I hated more.  The english chick in 2 was beyond annoying, and Dexter getting involved with her and the whole drugs cover was really gash.  But then S5, his involvement with Lumen frustrated me.  If they'd been left just as friends perhaps I'd have enjoyed it more.  But the moment when Deb 'caught' them but let them go...Just wouldn't happen.  That was so utterly against Deb's character I guffawed.

Anyways, is there a 6th series planned?

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 155
RE: Dexter - 2/4/2011 1:31:48 PM   
JagLover

I actually liked Season 5. I think the problem many people have with it is that season 4 ended with a massive cliffhanger, a sense that Dexter must be found out and on the whole except Quinn, that entire plotline was parked with the FBI for the season and what we had instead was Dexter working through his emotions over Rita's death and finding a new sense of purpose.

That said I found the last episode to be rather weak, I don't expect a cliffhanger, in fact one of the things I like about Dexter is that each season is so self contained. But IMO Lumen left simply because Julia Styles was the guest star for the season, rather than any other reason.

Anyhow rankings

Season 2-When Dexter is in danger of being found out is always the most dramatic for me.
Season 1-Introduction, and exploring Dexters past
Season 4-Trinity was great, but I thought it dragged a bit in the middle and really Trinity should have been killed long before the end (and Dexter even saved his life at one point?)
Season 5-Slow start, final episode had problems, but otherwise up to the usual standard and I really liked the introduction of Lumen as a character, and think Season 6 would be better with her still in place.
Season 3- Very good ending, perhaps one of the best when dexter escapes from that table. But the rest of the season was just too slow.

In terms of the future, Dexter is in danger of being caught and somehow gets out of it far too often for my liking. Dramatically in either season 6 or 7, Dexter needs to be found out. The old Trinity link plotline can be revived, it is on ice, not dead.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 156
RE: Dexter US Speed - Season 5 from page 3 onwards - 2/4/2011 1:46:41 PM   
JagLover

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Personally, I think Quinn has far more than suspicions. Liddy said he suspected Dexter, and that he wanted to meet. Quinn knows that the blood is likely to be Liddy's, as he had gone to the van where Dex killed Liddy. Dex covered for Quinn with the bloodwork because Dex still thinks Quinn knows more about him than he actually does know- he doesn't know that Liddy hadn't shared everything with Quinn. So, since Quinn can be fairly sure that Dex has covered for him, and that he now owes Dex, I think he'll go on the backburner until we forget he knows. Something else major will happen in the next series, and the fact that Quinn knows something is awry with Dex will manifest itself at the end of the next series.

That's my prediction, folks.

Exactly

Quinn isn't merely suspicious any more. He knows, but he has decided to keep quiet for the sake of the woman he loves, even when that led him to being locked up.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 157
RE: Dexter - 2/4/2011 1:53:32 PM   
JagLover

quote:

Still couldn't move on in S5, and I was really irritated by Dexter showing far more emotion at Lumen leaving than he ever did about Rita's death.  

Perhaps people are confused by the restrained acting needed to play an emotionally repressed serial killer, but I think that is very wrong.

Dexter reacted to Rita's death by going into a deep shock, so deep that he even implicated himself by expressing his feelings of guilt when the police came. He then killed some random stranger just because they annoyed him, breaking the code of Harry, and then let out a cry of rage and grief finally breaking through his emotional shock.

He reacted to Lumen going by breaking a plate, then sitting down.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 158
RE: Dexter - 8/4/2011 10:40:37 AM   
DaveNewman18

LOL at the above.

I started watching this about two weeks ago, had heard nothing but good things so thought I'd check it out. After many sleepless nights, I reached the end of S5 this morning - and wow.

In terms of everything, writing and acting in particular, it is one of the best shows doing the rounds at the moment. My ranking would be -

4 - Incredible. Lithgow.
1- Leaves you wanting much much more.
2/5- Equal, both very very good.
3 - Decent Season, but lacks the tension that all the other seasons create so easilly, the whole skinner thing wasn't great. Lacked somebody like Doakes.
'Suprise motherfucker'

Perhaps the most consistant show in circulation today.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 159
RE: Dexter - 8/4/2011 2:49:09 PM   
Sinatra

Does anyone know when season 5 is due on in the UK?

I'm missing it now...

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 160
RE: Dexter - 10/4/2011 4:10:23 AM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

I'm missing it now...

Not sure. If I were you I'd be thinking of other ways to watch it now. Not that I'm aware of any way to do that...

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 161
RE: Dexter - 10/4/2011 7:16:38 AM   
Peppermint

Me neither, being the complete innocent I am

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 162
RE: Dexter - 10/4/2011 11:06:20 AM   
ElephantBoy

Without having seen season five, my order of favourites.
4,2,3,1. This is a classic example of a show which has just got better as it has gone along, from a writing stand point, acting, everything. The thing I really like about it is how hard it is to predict how it is all going to end up, because of the nature of The Dexter character, Will he settle down into family life. Will finally be caught at the end. Will he go on killing people. Will his sister ever find out the truth, and if so what will her reaction be. There are just so many questions, and the thing is you just don't when it will end. This is truly world class television.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 163
RE: Dexter - 11/4/2011 10:55:12 AM   
shool

quote:

I'm missing it now...

PM mate.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 164
RE: Dexter - 11/4/2011 12:40:47 PM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Without having seen season five, my order of favourites.
4,2,3,1. This is a classic example of a show which has just got better as it has gone along, from a writing stand point, acting, everything. The thing I really like about it is how hard it is to predict how it is all going to end up, because of the nature of The Dexter character, Will he settle down into family life. Will finally be caught at the end. Will he go on killing people. Will his sister ever find out the truth, and if so what will her reaction be. There are just so many questions, and the thing is you just don't when it will end. This is truly world class television.

You are absolutely right there my friend. The brilliance of Dexter lies in the fact that they have us rooting for a serial killer, a human being that society tells us that we should condemn without thought; but through the writing and Michael C. Hall's performances we convince ourselves that Dexter's use of a moral disadvantage for the greater good is heroic. The characters depth and his growth episode by episode ensures that the show always has somewhere to go, and we may not always be able to predict where. The questions that ElephantBoy raises are each outcomes that I would love to see - I think a lot of us are yearning for the truth to be revealed as the drama would be off the charts. I can't wait for the new season...

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 165
RE: Dexter - 12/4/2011 6:03:09 PM   
ElephantBoy

Thanks Yes not long now until I get to see season Five, and I can't wait!

Post #: 166
RE: Dexter - 26/4/2011 9:33:44 AM   
UTB

**Spoilers for Season 4/5**

Finished Season 5 over the weekend, enjoyed it more than previous seasons (Julie Benz not being in it helps massively).

Good things:
Peter Weller stole the show - great to have a badass character who is as grimy and fun as the show should be.
Johnny Lee Miller - brilliant character and a top performance
Julia Stiles - nice to have a female character on the show who isn't a complete wet fish, her story arc was compelling and put Dexter to good use
Julie Benz not being in it
The cat fart/burp video on Quinn's computer

Bad things (or, things I continue to dislike about the show):
Debs - there's no way she'd be a detective in real life, way too emotionally unstable and appears to almost burst into tears at the drop of a hat. She needs to man the fuck up, please.
Astor - irritating

I also wonder what they do to Harrison before a take, as the kid seems to be constantly laughing or smiling...

Roll on S6!

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 167
Dexter Season 6 - 7/5/2011 3:53:37 PM   
Scruffybobby

TEASER  for season six up now.

quote:

Dexter returns and nothing can prepare you for what comes next. This fall, hell breaks loose.

Sounds good.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 7/5/2011 3:57:01 PM >

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 168
RE: Dexter Season 6 - 8/5/2011 6:18:31 PM   
JagLover

What is very amusing about that trailer is that they go through all the seasons showing the highlights and then pretend that season 5 never existed

With the showrunner also being replaced after that one season in charge, that shows that Showtime themselves didn't much care for season 5.

Post #: 169
RE: Dexter Season 6 - 5/6/2011 6:50:21 PM   
ChickMagnet

Having just finished season 5 I watched the trailer straight away, it annoys me that S5 was left out but I may be blinded by my devotion to Julia Stiles Am really looking forward to 6 though

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 170
RE: Dexter - 5/6/2011 7:35:12 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

I'm missing it now...

Dexter Season 5 starts in 3 weeks on FX!

So the ad today

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 171
RE: Dexter - 12/8/2011 7:46:00 AM   
Scruffybobby

Awesome new trailer for S6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGslI_KcM

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 172
RE: Dexter - 4/10/2011 3:38:34 PM   
paulyboy

BUMP!!!

Season 6 started last night....

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 173
RE: Dexter - 4/10/2011 9:22:22 PM   
nomimalone

I'm freaked out already by Colin Hanks and Edward James Olmos.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 174
RE: Dexter - 4/10/2011 10:06:07 PM   
homersimpson_esq

SNAKES FOR INTESTINES. Nice.

Adama isn't evil tho. :[

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 175
RE: Dexter - 4/10/2011 11:23:29 PM   
Clarence Worley

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

SNAKES FOR INTESTINES. Nice.

Adama isn't evil tho. :[

Lets hope he brings back the 'battle tash'

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that.

That's what they're saying about me now? That I'm paranoid?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 176
RE: Dexter - 20/10/2011 2:00:29 PM   
Scruffybobby

spoilers

Some interesting developments so far this season. The ending of ep3 was pretty damn freaky with the mix and match corpses on horseback, very weird.

Was nice to see Vince get a sniff at possible romance but then with Ryan's theft of the prosthetic hand I think he may well be in for trouble.  Saw an interesting theory HERE that Olmos character may well be a figment of Hank's imagination much like Harry is to Dexter. I think he may be on to something there.

(in reply to Clarence Worley)
Post #: 177
RE: Dexter - 20/10/2011 8:40:26 PM   
Reidy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

spoilers

Some interesting developments so far this season. The ending of ep3 was pretty damn freaky with the mix and match corpses on horseback, very weird.

Was nice to see Vince get a sniff at possible romance but then with Ryan's theft of the prosthetic hand I think he may well be in for trouble.  Saw an interesting theory HERE that Olmos character may well be a figment of Hank's imagination much like Harry is to Dexter. I think he may be on to something there.

Read that theory on a different forum after the first episode, and after watching episodes two and three, I think there is something in that. Olmos didn't seem to register with the man who was captured, even after he spoke.

Post #: 178
RE: Dexter fights Cancer - 21/10/2011 12:05:37 AM   
galvatron

I'm a bit annoyed at Dexter this season now. For some reasons that have been stated on here in the past. I've watched all 5 seasons off the belt this year and enjoyed them and season 5 significantly changed the characters but the writers have gone back for some reason and the show is worse for it. Dexter had the whole Lumen thing but that's all gone now. Deb was with Quinn and now that's gone back and even the Batista and LaGuerta has just all of a sudden vanished. The characters progressed but then have been taken backwards and it's been a bit boring so far this season. 

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 179
RE: Dexter - 25/10/2011 3:14:12 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

spoilers

Don't read if you haven't seen episode 4 yet

Well this weeks episode probably put an end to that (it could still be that Hanks killed him before and stole the sword, hence everyone saying he's gone off the map), this seasons kills have been majorly disturbing, particularly the Angel one, personally I'm hoping they don't go the way of Saw and having traps like we saw there, it just seemed a bit off.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Dexter fights Cancer Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI