Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 4/11/2012 1:51:02 AM   
Shifty Bench

Badass Peter is badass.....

I have a question. Does everyone remember Peter now? Everyone is acting as though season four never happened. Or did I miss something?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 91
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 6/11/2012 11:53:03 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I have a question. Does everyone remember Peter now? Everyone is acting as though season four never happened. Or did I miss something?

I don't think so. Walter said to Olivia in this episode that he has experience of losing a child, suggesting that our Peter is still a man out of time and only Olivia's memories have been displaced (fuck me, season 4 was weird).

So why didn't the black hole thing work? He obviously opened the portal correctly, got the anti matter bomb in in time and the whole corridor did actually collapse. Did they explain why it didn't work in the episode? The gist I got is that Peter read the observer wrongly but still actually managed to put the cube together correctly (the shipment coming through the portal it opened attests to this) and the reason their plan didn't work was never really explained.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 6/11/2012 11:57:43 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 92
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 6/11/2012 12:05:07 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I don't think so. Walter said to Olivia in this episode that he has experience of losing a child, suggesting that our†Peter is still a man out of time and only Olivia's memories have been displaced (fuck me, season 4 was weird).

He did lose a child though, Walter's Peter died of some disease which is why he stole alt-Peter which is the one we know.

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 6/11/2012 12:14:38 PM >

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 93
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 6/11/2012 12:38:45 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I don't think so. Walter said to Olivia in this episode that he has experience of losing a child, suggesting that our Peter is still a man out of time and only Olivia's memories have been displaced (fuck me, season 4 was weird).

He did lose a child though, Walter's Peter died of some disease which is why he stole alt-Peter which is the one we know.

Yeah but the way he worded it suggested he'd actually experienced living and dealing with the loss of a child rather than just hopping off into an alternate reality and nicking another one

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 94
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 6/11/2012 12:46:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

I'm sure he still mourned the death of his son, he did feel very shitty for stealing Peter and lying to his wife. Nothing has made me think that this is the lost in time Peter, everyone is acting the same as before all that. Broyles, Atrid and especially Walter who called him 'son'.

Post #: 95
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 6/11/2012 12:55:27 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

I'm sure he still mourned the death of his son, he did feel very shitty for stealing Peter and lying to his wife. Nothing has made me think that this is the lost in time Peter, everyone is acting the same as before all that. Broyles, Atrid and especially Walter who called him 'son'.

To be honest nothing had made me think it either till the last episode. When Walter was talking to Olivia about loss the thought popped into my head "of course, this Peter never existed in this timeline". To be honest I think they're not making a big deal of it because it was a ridiculous plot point that basically retconned everything that came before it and made season 4 the weakest of the lot.

There were a few years between "The Bullet That Saved the World" and the Observers invading (Etta had to be four or five when she went missing), that gave everyone time to build a rapport with current Peter off screen I'm guessing.

One thing occured to me during the last episode. I miss Walternate and Fauxlivia (I want to know if their universe has been invaded as well) and I also miss the days where they used to solve Fringe cases.

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 96
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 6/11/2012 12:58:07 PM   
Shifty Bench

I think they've just abandoned the plot to be honest. And I'm glad, it was shite.

Post #: 97
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 6/11/2012 5:41:05 PM   
Captain Black

The 'Peter disappearing' plot? I have not idea how he got back (didn't watch that one, doesn't interest me).

The Observers could move between universes at will couldn't they?

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 98
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 10/11/2012 12:37:35 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Nothing has made me think that this is the lost in time Peter

Until the latest episode

Post #: 99
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 10/11/2012 10:32:20 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

Even more so this week! So, did anybody watching that NOT get a Matrix vibe off that scene? And Inception too, a little, in the pocket universe.

Directed by long time 24 helmer Jon Cassar, incidentally. Did a great job.

The scene at the end between Walter and Peter was superb. I didn't mishear, he did call him "Dad", right? *sniffs*

Invisiotext:

Post #: 100
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 18/11/2012 6:27:04 PM   
Captain Black

Another terrific episode - maybe (if I'm being picky) Peter's transformation into an Observer has happned a little quickly, but that terrific scene between Walter and Nina when Walter's describing how Peter will save him (when we know more than he does about Peter's decisions) more than made up for it.

And the Bowie gag was grade-A.

Of course, the way this is playing out...Olivia plays the Luke Skywalker part and saves the world in the end, right?

Invisiotext:

Post #: 101
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 19/11/2012 9:58:34 AM   
piccolo135

Really enjoying this season, and it seems as though its coming full circle rather nicely. I'm pretty sure I can see where there going too. I noted on the Fringe Wiki that Peter's birthday is September 18th.

Post #: 102
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 19/11/2012 10:14:22 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: piccolo135

Really enjoying this season, and it seems as though its coming full circle rather nicely. I'm pretty sure I can see where there going too. I noted on the Fringe Wiki that Peter's birthday is September 18th.

If you're suggesting what I think you're suggesting then that was pretty much my first thought when it became apparent Peter was actually turning into an Observer rather than just gaining their strength and abilities.

I mean, September did break protocol to save Walter and Peter from the lake after all (plus he was the one that distracted Walternate creating the need for Walter to try and save him in the first place). Then again none of that acually happened, although it did to Peter .

I'm not sold on it completely myself but its definitely a plausible theory.

Anyway a great epsiode again, I can't believe there's only 6 episodes left.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to piccolo135)
Post #: 103
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 22/11/2012 11:19:30 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

The 'Peter disappearing' plot? I have not idea how he got back (didn't watch that one, doesn't interest me).

On that...

quote:

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/11/22/fringe-showrunner-jh-wyman-on-the-shows-key-moments/
SFX: Fringe has one of the most dedicated fan bases out there. How much have you let their voices influence how youíve written the show in the past, and especially in this final season?

ďI have been so lucky because I get so much support from the media and from fans. Once I commit to doing something, I commit 100%. I want people to be pleased with what Iím making or what Iím asking them to think about. I canít be upset if they donít like it. I get to watch the response and I can learn things off of it as a writer so I can learn to be a better storyteller and thatís very valuable.

ďLike the whole [season four] disappearance of Peter, I learned a great deal from that. It didnít work. People didnít like it and felt it was sort of stupid and didnít get it. I totally agree. I look back at it and consider it one of our missteps. It didnít work as well as we all thought it would. We liked it and thought it was cool. But no matter how many times we told people, ĎNo, Peter is still part of the show. Come on? Itís Peter Bishop, heís still part of the show,í everybody was saying, ĎPeter is not on the show so Iím not watching anymore!í They didnít get it. But maybe in retrospect when people watch the series from beginning to end theyíll realise why thematically that was so important to do. People may or may not get what we did, but it is what it is. Itís not a pizza. You donít get to order what you want on it. [Laughs]Ē

< Message edited by Erlenmeyer Flask -- 22/11/2012 11:20:51 PM >

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

Post #: 104
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 24/11/2012 4:33:02 PM   
Zaphod121

Anyone else want a justification as to why to The Observers invaded? Aside form there planet going to shit, I'd like a reason they suddenly became super evil.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 105
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 9/12/2012 3:23:33 PM   
Captain Black

Expected a little more of Observer-Peter in terms of episodic appearances, but really that was such a good scene between Torv and Jackson. And I guess the point's been made, short of playing up the ability to predict the future stuff I guess there's not much more material to mine there.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 106
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 20/12/2012 11:37:32 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Loved, and I mean absolutey loved, Walter's Pythonesque tripping sequence in the last episode. Probably scene of the year for me .

Finding it harder to forgive the flaws in this season though. There are a few things that seem to bug me in each episode. Last week it was how could Peter take the tech out so easily? The thing was embedded in his brain yet he was able to access it via the back of his neck. Also, the Observer he took it from died in the process of having it removed. Now I know that Peter had only had it a while and it probably hadn't fused properly yet (or whatever) but you'd still expect a bit of trauma from having a big fuck off chunk of tech removed from your brain.

This week it dawned on me that they seem to be out and about quite a bit with very little difficulty (Olivia had a fuck off big lorry last week with a huge trailer carrying a massive electromagnet FFS and it was bandits that bothered her not Observers). Now I realise that they were harassed by Loyalists in this episode but we've been shown that the society they live in has some pretty crazy CCTV with face mapping and the like so to be honest they should be getting shit off the Observers pretty much constantly. Also, why do Observers need to walk anywhere when they can teleport there?

This season has been alright but it's also been a disappointment. It just isn't the show I fell in love with during the first 3 seasons.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 20/12/2012 12:02:03 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 107
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 20/12/2012 9:17:45 PM   
Captain Black

I found episode 9 was a bit of a dirge aside from one or two bright moments. Is there another one this week? Hoping they don't leave it there over the Christmas period.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 108
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 21/12/2012 12:52:54 PM   
Christy123

Well Fringe is now on their finale and they are going to leave..

I am waiting for the next season 5 episode 10- Anomaly XB-6783

Shared with you a Youtube trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfSQx9wgmaU

Post #: 109
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 22/12/2012 9:45:23 PM   
Captain Black

And so ends the story of Nina Sharp - she went out with defiance, as it should be. I'm glad the show had the will to kill her off, and of course in Fringe's crazy universe that's no guarantee we won't see her again in some form. On a side note if Nina's the same age as Blair Brown, she's about 90 in this timeline anyway, so she had a pretty good innings.

Decent episode to head into the break before the new year (whoever cut the montage together is a manipulative editing genius); apparently the last two episodes are being shown as a two-parter. Let's see if it can stick the landing - I'm optimistic. My only prediction is this: don't be surprised if it throws out plot logic in favour of emotional resonance.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Christy123)
Post #: 110
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 12/1/2013 12:27:59 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

And so ends the story of Nina Sharp - she went out with defiance, as it should be. I'm glad the show had the will to kill her off, and of course in Fringe's crazy universe that's no guarantee we won't see her again in some form. On a side note if Nina's the same age as Blair Brown, she's about 90 in this timeline anyway, so she had a pretty good innings.

Decent episode to head into the break before the new year (whoever cut the montage together is a manipulative editing genius); apparently the last two episodes are being shown as a two-parter. Let's see if it can stick the landing - I'm optimistic. My only prediction is this: don't be surprised if it throws out plot logic in favour of emotional resonance.

I was just thinking the same... though they do always land the emotional beats well, like just before Peter when into the machine in the end of s3, which actually reminded me a bit of the LOST finale.
One thing that's been bugging me about this season (though I haven't watch 511 yet), Olivia just isn't a bad ass any more, I know it sounds silly but she just seems so passive this season.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 111
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 13/1/2013 2:03:46 PM   
Captain Black

Another very fine episode. The emotional stuff hit harder than any plot revelations, which while nice (and I did particularly like the look at the far future, even if it was very brief) weren't mind-blowing. Also, they did spell out an awful lot of the 'plan' for next week via Walter's conversations with Donald, and Olivia talking to Peter about Etta. So much so that I wonder if it's a deliberate bit of misdirection. Basically it's rare for a show to openly acknowledge the most predictable ending in dialogue.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 112
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 15/1/2013 11:47:52 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

Another very fine episode. The emotional stuff hit harder than any plot revelations, which while nice (and I did particularly like the look at the far future, even if it was very brief) weren't mind-blowing. Also, they did spell out an awful lot of the 'plan' for next week via Walter's conversations with Donald, and Olivia talking to Peter about Etta. So much so that I wonder if it's a deliberate bit of misdirection. Basically it's rare for a show to openly acknowledge the most predictable ending in dialogue.

Yes it does seem odd that they would flat out say it. SPOILER for finale, (highlight) Glad to see will get to see Fauxlivia one last time.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 113
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 19/1/2013 2:38:13 PM   
Captain Black

Will probably comment more later, but basically, really loved both parts. Right up there on the list of 'best last episodes' for me.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 114
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 19/1/2013 3:20:24 PM   
Zaphod121

I'm not sure, I liked it but, they said what was going to happen and it did. Felt like it needed something more. So basically season 5 never really happened.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 115
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 19/1/2013 7:01:53 PM   
Captain Black

Well, that's one of those "don't think about the timeline too much" type situations - if the Observers never existed, doesn't the whole show unravel? But I don't mind.

I can see why you might want a bit more surprise or ooomph, but I appreciated the way the show basically layed out the plan for 13 episodes -- and 20 some years -- and stuck to it. And while it's al little sentimental, when it goes for the broad emotional strokes it's really affecting; I think Walter and Peter's the best father son relationship on TV (certainly that I can think of).

And Broyles' delivery of "The feeling's mutual" was the most bad-ass reading Reddick's ever done. And that's saying a lot considering it's Lance Reddick.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 116
RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed - 19/1/2013 7:38:24 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

Well, that's one of those "don't think about the timeline too much" type situations - if the Observers never existed, doesn't the whole show unravel? But I don't mind.

I can see why you might want a bit more surprise or ooomph, but I appreciated the way the show basically layed out the plan for 13 episodes -- and 20 some years -- and stuck to it. And while it's al little sentimental, when it goes for the broad emotional strokes it's really affecting; I think Walter and Peter's the best father son relationship on TV (certainly that I can think of).

And Broyles' delivery of "The feeling's mutual" was the most bad-ass reading Reddick's ever done. And that's saying a lot considering it's Lance Reddick.

I don't know, when Peter came back in S4 he mentioned the Observers and they didn't know who they were, so I don't know if it unravels everything. The emotional beats worked best for me here, like when Walter called Peter his most favourite thing and when he said Astrid had a beautiful name, got a little teary eyed during those parts.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 117
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Fringe season 5 - US Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI