Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Fringe - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Fringe - US Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fringe - US Speed - 12/2/2011 10:31:15 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black
I'm being proven wrong so far! Well done American audiences, well done.

Boo! Hiss! At the 0.4 in the critical 18-49 demographic who've tuned out over the past four weeks.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey
Calling it - Fauxlivia is pregnant with Peter's child.

Much kudos and point scoring to you, sir.

I think I'd have liked this one a lot more if it wasn't for the bugs. Not really my cup of tea, save for the guest spot by Julie McNiven, swoon. The alternate episodes are a triumph in establishing an opposing set of characters who, with the exception of Walternate, are a largely cool (if possessing human flaws) group around whom you can focus an episode. I particularly like the Lincoln character.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 31
RE: Fringe - US Speed - 26/2/2011 9:20:45 PM   
Captain Black

Flashback-tastic episode (always love the 1985 credits) -- some negatives mainly involving the slightly dubious retconning regarding Olivia and Peter's past and memories, but considering the dramatic heft and symbolism of the whole thing, I can happily let that slide. This will be Noble's Emmy reel, and Orla Brady was also really excellent. Special mention to the Olivia swapping universes switch near the end of the episode that really caught me off guard and made me rewatch that bit.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 32
RE: Fringe - US Speed - 4/3/2011 9:13:47 PM   
musht

Finally caught up on this show, here's hoping it doesn't all go to waste via cancellation, that last episode was pretty damn cool altho I totally agree about the glossing over of Peter and Olivia's memories etc. Still, lookin forward to the next episode

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 33
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 4/3/2011 10:04:35 PM   
Zaphod121

I was thinking there might have been some memory tinkering re Peter and Olivia.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 34
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 12/3/2011 9:39:57 PM   
Captain Black

Not a great A-plot this week, a few good ideas but somewhat underdeveloped overall, although the always excellent Alan Ruck is always a welcome presence. The ending however, with Anna Torv's terrific Leonard Nimoy insinuation, was well worth the effort. Walter's not a lot of fun these days...

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 35
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 19/3/2011 9:51:09 PM   
Captain Black

Lots of good stuff this week. Paula Malcolmson very strong in the guest role; Torv's Nimoy impression pretty much worked throughout the episode (I wasn't sure if it would have legs at first, but it pretty much did); Astrid buttoning her shirt up; Walter was much more fun than he has been in recent weeks; 'our' Lincoln Lee was a welcome addition. Don't know why, but I don't get the feeling that we're into this season's endgame yet, and there aren't many episodes left.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 36
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 20/3/2011 12:51:02 PM   
Zaphod121

Agree with you about Torv, though I'm not sure how much I actaully like the idea I think she pulls if off, really loved the brief moment at the end where she jumped back into being Olivia.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 37
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 20/3/2011 1:18:27 PM   
Captain Black

The 'soul transfer' thing? Yeah, I'm a bit on the fence about it as a concept for this particular show. I wonder if part of it is due to Nimoy's lack of availability and the writers requiring the character of Bell to use in the story. I think there are only five episodes in the season to go from here and I hope they drop the case of the week type stuff now and just go all in While I've been consistently entertained and I don't think they've made any real bad steps (I didn't like that episode with the bugs so much), it doesn't feel like they've done an awful lot this season.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 38
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 25/3/2011 2:02:46 AM   
Shifty Bench

Well, Fringe has finally gone batshit insane.....

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 39
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 25/3/2011 2:04:16 AM   
musht

RENEWED!!! at least one more season

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 40
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 25/3/2011 2:08:23 AM   
Shifty Bench

Oh, so it has, cool. Surprising, but cool 

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 41
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 25/3/2011 9:49:34 AM   
Zaphod121

This is awesome news! Finally fox does something right.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 42
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 25/3/2011 12:06:38 PM   
Proudfoot

It is silly how happy I am right now.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 43
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 25/3/2011 12:30:25 PM   
Shifty Bench

And apparently it has been given a full 22 ep run! Wow, I thought if it was coming back it would initially be for 13 to test the waters but, nope, 22. The folk at Fox obviously really like the show. 

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 44
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 25/3/2011 5:40:02 PM   
Captain Black

Wow. Kevin Reilly - the network exec you can support.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 45
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 26/3/2011 1:35:44 PM   
Jeffrey

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

Post #: 46
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 26/3/2011 4:58:20 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Well, Fringe has finally gone batshit insane.....

It has indeed this weeks was proper mental. Really stoked by the fact it's been renewed can't wait for more....

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 47
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 26/3/2011 5:31:56 PM   
Captain Black

Despite the odd plot device that was slightly head-slapping (particularly giving Olivia a pill rather than an injection to knock her out so it could be avoided) this week's was probably my favourite episode of the season. The alternate universe has its own energy, I think mainly provided by the team dynamics (Lincoln and Charlie in particular are just awesome this week), but perhaps also because stories set there tend to be less constrained by a need to fit around a procedural framework, so they just push the plot forward. Also, observers are front and centre and Andre Royo adding to the Lance Reddick rule that: if you've got an actor from The Wire on your show, give 'em something to do.

And that black Ford Focus sure does get around, two appearances in two weeks in separate universes now...

Invisiotext:

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 48
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 17/4/2011 10:19:06 PM   
Captain Black

Well, I really can't fault the amibition or the sheer self-confidence on display in this episode, even if it didn't entirely work for me. I'm guessing that a bit motivation to use animation was because of Nimoy's lack of availability, but they more than justified it with some of the other content (the airship, random zombie attack and the scale of things).

Invisiotext:

Post #: 49
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 17/4/2011 10:30:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

I'm guessing that a bit motivation to use animation was because of Nimoy's lack of availability

I think the fact that Nimoy has retired from acting on screen was a factor, too. I think they compromised with him because they really wanted to end Bell's story. Plus, I don't think the man is all that physical these days (he is 80) so maybe that was part of it too?

quote:

but they more than justified it with some of the other content (the airship, random zombie attack and the scale of things).

When it first changed to animation, I was like- 'oh, no' but I thought those scenes were awesome. And, as you mentioned, zombies!

Post #: 50
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 17/4/2011 10:51:18 PM   
Captain Black

I think my main issue with it (and it's a nitpick, sure) is that had they done it without Nimoy's involvement (not this storyline per se, just in any episode in the past) it would have felt like they were just going for it and coming up with some crazy assed stuff in the writers room because they could, rather than doing an admittedly very good job because they had to, with Nimoy's retirement. And just thinking about it, did his reappearance affect the storyline that much? I think it'd have been better just to give him a better live action send off in the first place. But then, I do like goodbyes....when they're well done.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 51
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 17/4/2011 10:53:19 PM   
Shifty Bench

yeah, I agree with you 

Post #: 52
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 21/4/2011 3:54:47 PM   
Jeffrey

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

Post #: 53
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 23/4/2011 9:45:28 PM   
Captain Black

Now we're talking - this week's was really great, I reckon my favourite of the season so far. Probably Noble's Emmy reel as he got great material as both Walters and was just immense as both - it's probably a bit obvious by now saying such a thing about him but to go from the scene in the chapel to Walternate switching off the lights in Olivia's cell was such a contrast. I'm wondering if Peter being unconscious will have any transfer over to the other universe, like his mind being projected into someone else, but I don't think they've done anything like that yet?

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Jeffrey)
Post #: 54
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 24/4/2011 11:29:08 AM   
Zaphod121

It never fails to amaze me how I completely and UTTERLY believe the two Walter's are completely different characters, John Noble is amazing.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 55
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 30/4/2011 4:07:10 PM   
Captain Black

The week's comments brought to you by Ford, manufacturers of the new Focus, which has lots of groovy options like a rear parking camera, but you're probably only really interested in the RS version.

And this was a strong follow up to last week. TV often suffers when addressing issues of scale and they lightning strikes were a fairly effective way of increasing the level of danger. I like the actor playing Sam Weiss, though I can't really explain why. He's like Timonty Olyphant's slightly quirky non hat wearing brother, but he's pretty good at delivery exposition without it seeming a bit too convenient. And Noble got another great scene when trying to get Olivia to operate the typewriter. I'm not entirely won over by the fact that Olivia is effectively a superhero at this stage, but at least they're using those elements in really cool ways.

Pretty effective cliffhanger too -- it's been done before in other shows and films, so it didn't quite have that "wow" factor that it could have done had they gone a different route, but it still opens up a lot of possibilities. Now we have multiples universes and timelines.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 56
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 1/5/2011 12:37:22 PM   
sparkwood

quote:

The week's comments brought to you by Ford, manufacturers of the new Focus, which has lots of groovy options like a rear parking camera, but you're probably only really interested in the RS version.

I like the actor playing Sam Weiss, though I can't really explain why.

Pretty effective cliffhanger too -- it's been done before in other shows and films, so it didn't quite have that "wow" factor that it could have done had they gone a different route, but it still opens up a lot of possibilities. Now we have multiples universes and timelines.

As product placement goes it wasnt subtle really. I think the actor playing Sam is very good at delivering exposition and vague mystery stuff in a way that doesnt make you want to throw something at the screen Lost style.

Looking forward to the finale, exciting stuff.

Post #: 57
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 7/5/2011 1:43:03 PM   
Zaphod121

Uh.... WHAT????

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to sparkwood)
Post #: 58
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 7/5/2011 10:34:46 PM   
Captain Black

Haha, yeah it was pretty head-spinning.

I really liked it though; it's sort of a cheat in that it's applying an epilogue before the story's over, but there were some great scenes that made it all worth while. Peter and Walternate's face-off was great stuff, and in particular that moment when he referred to Walter as "Dad". The Olivia shooting didn't have quite as much impact because it's clear that the timeline will be rewritten (and I think Ron Swanson would approve of Peter's choice of food). Maybe just me, but I thought there were a few Return of the Jedi nods in this: the burning funeral pyre and in the aforementioned Peter/Walternate scene I got a bit of a Luke/Vader vibe. I'm going to assume that there was some anti-ageing stuff developed in the future too; everyone was looking particularly youthful for how far into the future is was. And Broyles could only look more badass if he had a couple of cybernetic arms or something.

As for the ending, well I thought that was pretty strong too - bringing the two Olivias and the two Walters together, although the Peter disappearing bit did stray a bit towards "hang on a second, how does that work?"

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 59
RE: Fringe season 3 - US Speed - 8/5/2011 3:22:39 AM   
Shifty Bench

It was very 'what the hell?' I agree with Captain Black that Olivia's death had no impact, especially now as it can't happen that way. It makes no sense that Peter 'never existed', how else could any of it have happened? Peter was the main element of both sides. Without Peter neither side would have known about the other. It's nuts, I am well and truly baffled.

Roll on season 4

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Fringe - US Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI