Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Pants

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Pants Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Pants - 23/9/2009 12:06:52 AM   
bretty

See your point, but there was nothing new or interesting about it to make the effort of going to the cinema worthwhile for me.......

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 31
Game Over.......Thank God !!!!..... - 23/9/2009 7:39:36 PM   
n13roy

Just came back from the Cinema today, after watching " Gamer "....and to be honest, I wish I hadn't bothered, its a bit of a mess all round, and downright stupid at times. There is a good storyline in there somewhere, its just VERY difficult to know whats going on at times. Couple of Boys in front of us thought it was the best " Gamiing " Film they had seen though, as we overheard them on the way out !!!!!!........

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
Gamer - 24/9/2009 9:05:51 PM   
moviemaniac2

total shite!!!

Post #: 33
Gamer - 24/9/2009 9:05:53 PM   
moviemaniac2

total shite!!!

Post #: 34
- 25/9/2009 6:03:57 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

Thought this was crap, but enjoyable crap none the less. Being a girly, I did get a bit bored of ladies getting their dirty pillows out but I thought this was fun in a supremely crap kinda way.

Post #: 35
An enjoyable action movie - 27/9/2009 12:58:36 PM   
Alien Hunter

It's a cool film with some amazing action sequences such as the shoot-outs and Kable's fist fight wih Castle's henchmen. A bit more nudity then nessessary but thats what makes Gamer funny as well. An action movie the requires no thinking, just enjoyment.

Post #: 36
RE: An enjoyable action movie - 28/9/2009 7:27:42 AM   
kjudge6

This film deserves one star, because there was a hint of a very powerful and thought provoking movie on offer here but an absolute waste of potential (i.e. where society is actually going or is, receding compassion and instant gratification).  The film is just terrible.

(in reply to Alien Hunter)
Post #: 37
Gamer - 2/10/2009 8:40:46 PM   
durelius

As a gamer I liked it, I knew what to expect to a certain degree i.e from the makers of Crank, just an enjoyable bit of ultra violent nonsense. I think it was certainly more effective movie than Surrogates, funny how they both used the fat man using a female avatar to pick up guys thing as well.

Post #: 38
Awful - 4/10/2009 7:48:19 AM   
HIM

Truely bad film. How this got 3 stars is beyond me. It felt like it was written and directed by a couple of fourteen year olds acting out their pubescent wank fantasies. Awful dialogue, completely bland cardboard cut-out clichéd characters and even the action scenes were unimaginative and dull.

Post #: 39
- 8/10/2009 8:05:51 PM   
Smootle

I didn't make it past the first fifteen minutes of this film, which relies on flashy editing aswell as unesseccary effects to try and convey mood and in the process completely neglects character development and plot. It's just plain odd and seems more like a protracted mtv music video then a film. Watch running man instead.

Post #: 40
Good Fun - 16/10/2009 2:32:56 PM   
Shaunyboy27

This film definitely has flaws. But as the same as the Crank films I just went with it and in doing so it becomes perfectly enjoyable. If your a big gamer then surely you could chuckle and appreciate little things within the film that reflects popular games to date. One good moment was one of the convicts tea bagging another dead one! Who hasn't done that while playing online? The unique style seperates the film from others of its kind and is definitely better than Surogates which came out at the same time and has the same theme of control.

Post #: 41
Utter ARSE - 2/4/2010 12:16:16 PM   
Jan Solo

God this film was so, uttelry terrible - how the hell it got 3 stars is beyond me.

Post #: 42
Good premise is followed by bad filmmaking - 8/4/2010 8:37:45 PM   
djphilips

Gamer has a rather delicious premise which can really bring a few good themes on the discussion table, but the Neveldine/Taylor team of the Crank movies is more concerned with delivering mindless violence and sex to its viewers. Acting is so-so and jut gets the job done, while the script, as previously stated, focuses more on bullets and explosions than on the themes it initially presents.
The directing is - how shall I put it? - rough, and suits what is presented on the screen perfectly, albeit not in an entirely good way. Watch this for some brainless action if you really need to, and strictly nothing else.

Post #: 43
Gamer - 8/5/2010 2:25:29 PM   
mymatebone

Gamer, to me, was an enjoyable enough film. Acting on the online phenomenon that is online gaming and as an online gamer I enjoyed seeing the ridiculousness of people taking games serious in a movie form. I also think that since there isn't any action stars really left, this film was trying to offer a new action star in Gerard Butler who I must admit, do like as an actor and no, not just because I'm Scottish! Honest! It's an enjoyable film and it was in the same sort of genre as Crank in my eyes. It was supposed to be ridiculous. Out and out stupid. A movie meant to be watched in a good mood and not taken seriously. In the right mood, you will love this film. In the wrong mood, like some of the reviews other than mine it's dribble. But I enjoyed it. A movie for casual, relaxed and bad gamers. The serious gamers who pride themselves on being good at Halo and people who don't game wouldn't enjoy this film I reckon. Michael C. Hall and Terry Crewes are also good in this. I also enjoyed the parody of the internet in that all chicks online are dudes. Good funny film, three out of five stars

Post #: 44
RE: Gamer - 9/7/2010 12:20:58 PM   
jcthefirst

1 star for this. And that's for Michael C Hall.

Everything else about it was awful.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to mymatebone)
Post #: 45
RE: Gamer - 10/7/2010 9:06:22 PM   
gunstar

Made by idiots, for idiots. IMHO.

< Message edited by gunstar -- 10/7/2010 9:46:04 PM >

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 46
Gamer: Film Review - 8/8/2010 5:49:39 PM   
Matthew Pattinson

Wednesday evening, flu coursing through my veins, head about to explode. I need a release, an escape from the realities of a cold February night. Mustering just enough energy to hoist my head in the direction of the door, my eyes fix upon a rental that dropped there earlier in the day.

Could this be the antidote to my woes I ask?

Detaching myself from the couch I wobble over and lay claim to the new arrival. What could it be?

Like Charlie Bucket discovering the golden ticket, I peel back the envelope with nervous angst. Pulling the disc partially from its jacket the title comes into view – it reads, Gamer.

Ok I say, it's not going to be Citizen Kane, but maybe some mindless fun is just what the doctor ordered.

Let me tell you, I'll never self medicate again!

Bad Medicine…

300's Gerard Butler stars as Kable in a near-future dystopia controlled by online gamers. Kable racks up an endless body count as he crusades through online environments in a bid to regain his independence.

Sound familiar?

It should do! Directing duo Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor brazenly draw from a raft of films including The Matrix, Rollerball, The Running Man, The Condemned, Battle Royale and more recently, Paul Anderson's 2008 Death Race.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind…

Let me make a quick admission: I rather enjoyed the adrenaline-fuelled Crank. Here Neveldine and Taylor successfully delivered a tongue-in-cheek parody of the modern-day action flick which at times displayed genuine visual invention.

So what happened with Lamer…I mean Gamer?

I'll tell you what….

Neveldine and Brian pummel the viewer into submission with a barrage of stylistic devices that induce bewilderment rather than excitement.

Non-stop shaky cam, frenetic cuts, and bizarre interludes undermine any dramatic tension between the characters and subsequently you never feel the invulnerable Kable is in any real danger. What results is action scene after action scene that play out like Transformers with blood – its almost impossible to tell what's going on.

It's long been an irritation to me how filmmakers continue to misappropriate the handheld camera. Surely this cinematographic technique of dispensing with stable images marks a calculated attempt to convey realism – think of Saving Private Ryan, the Bourne films and United 93.

So why the dastardly duo embrace handheld like a bull in a china shop is beyond me.

It doesn't matter how much you shake that cam boys, you're not going to paper over the thin plot and ineffective characters

High Concept…?

As is often the case with high-concept films, Gamer's basic premise wears thin around five seconds in. Displaying the grace of an elephant at a mouse zoo, the film tramples all over the basic ingredients of successful action films. Where's the emotion, snappy one-liners, explosive/fun action, characters you care about and want to succeed?

Its not rocket science, its simple mathematics!

As a result Gamer resides light-years away from high-concept classics such as Alien, Jaws, and Predator, instead plummeting into the pit of despair with Snakes on a Plane and Godzilla for companions.

Big, brash, and nonsensical at times, the only thing Gamer will cure is insomnia; so proceed with caution, especially if you're driving.

(Matthew Pattinson is a freelance copywriter at www.creativepen.co.uk)

< Message edited by Matthew Pattinson -- 8/8/2010 5:52:50 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: Gamer: Film Review - 14/8/2010 10:56:14 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Great film. One of the better actioners I've seen in a while. Good cast, great set pieces and a cool soundtrack. Can't wait to see what Neveldine/Taylor come up with next.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Matthew Pattinson)
Post #: 48
RE: Gamer: Film Review - 17/8/2010 4:57:51 PM   
big dawg

I watched this the other day...I honestly thought it was dreadful, a real horrible mish-mash of other, better films. I reckon I would have loved this when I was 15. I'll give credit to Butler for playing this as straight as he could (though his west-coast-partick accent was terrible) while Michael C Hall hammed it up to the max but it just seemed a film that was thrown together. I hated the feel of it too, was a bit migraine inducing during the battle scenes.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 49
RE: Gamer: Film Review - 17/8/2010 4:58:53 PM   
The Hooded Man

Watched it on Sky the other night. A bag of shit on every possible level.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 50
RE: Gamer: Film Review - 17/8/2010 10:53:24 PM   
scarlin

I think Gamer was brilliant. It wont appeal to everyone granted, but its aimed at a certain audience. And i think its intended audience would love it. Its exactly the same with Crank. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

Good, bad, i'm the guy with the gun.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 51
RE: Gamer: Film Review - 18/8/2010 11:37:01 AM   
musht

A good idea executed very poorly

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to scarlin)
Post #: 52
RE: Gamer: Film Review - 18/8/2010 12:49:29 PM   
The Hooded Man

Crank was great fun, this was just a poor attempt to copy that formula.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 53
RE: Gamer: Film Review - 18/8/2010 1:41:10 PM   
UTB

I found this incredibly dull. So dull, in fact, that it's the first film in years that I actually turned off after about 40 minutes.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 54
TERRIBLE MOVIE - 17/1/2011 11:41:04 PM   
chrisdagnall

SHIT ON EVERY LEVEL...........

Post #: 55
Gamer Review - 17/2/2012 12:02:34 PM   
the film man

Despite the action scenes being surprisingly poorly done in the opening Gamer is still a very fun and hyperkinetic violent offering from Neveldine/Taylor.

Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Pants Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI