Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 20/1/2010 9:54:00 AM   
Kazuya

I'm of two minds on the subject of a sequel. On one hand, it's perfectly fine as a stand-alone experience, on the other hand, I gotta admit, I'd like to see more of the 'prawns', their technology, their further culture, etc. And Christopher and his kid were such great characters..shit, I don't know man

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 121
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 20/1/2010 9:57:32 AM   
shool

Its just that its likely that they are likely going to explain every aspect of the Prawns life, homeworld etc and I really like that there was an awful lot that simply wasnt explained.

I'm in 2 minds too, but more inclined to nay camp particularly as they are talking about a prequel instead of a sequel. However I could equally be totally wrong and it could be amazing. I'm just too used to Hollywood trashing and cashing in.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 122
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 20/1/2010 10:05:42 AM   
Kazuya

Yeah..I see what you mean, having them explained in detail might take away some of the mystery that made them so interesting, but I still have this nagging desire to see more of them (maybe I should just take a breath and watch the Blu again tonight) and I can definitely sympathize with the fear of another flick being a more shallow version of the first, the Hollywood way, but I gotta say, a prequel, made by the same people, with the same budget, isn't something I'd be able to stay away from..

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 123
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 22/1/2010 8:36:10 PM   
somekindof_battery

I wish they'd just leave it as it is. People forget that the less you know, the more interesting something is. That's one of the reasons I hate extended universe anything. 1. It takes away some of the mystery and intrigue of whatever it is and 2. It's glorified fan fiction. 

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 124
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 27/1/2010 3:06:57 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

First time I got around to watching District 9 last week! & it definitely wasn't what I was expecting - mixed reviews or whatnot. BUT oh my life, I thought it was brilliant! The structure of it was offputting with that lopsided documentary feel & debilitatingly irritating characters. Yet all the moral ambiguities (I would've killed my father-in-law) made me squirm & cringe in all the right places.

Brilliant effects & build-up of the prawn concept, which was practically torn down to nothing as you root for the self-destructing prawns instead of arrogant human beings. May be why I don't think there should be a sequel. There's no doubt in my mind (fictional as it may be) that Chris would've come back to fix him as he promised, or his son would've. As it was, I liked where it left off.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 125
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 2/2/2010 2:20:19 PM   
Olaf

District 9 for Best Picture 

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 126
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 2/2/2010 11:15:03 PM   
krudler

Well deserved nomination, I dunno if it should win over Up though, I watched it again on blu the other night, what a fucking great movie, Christoper is one of the best characters in a sci fi movie in years, the humour is brilliant in it as well, that prawn with the hat with a little propellor on it still makes me laugh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 127
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 3/2/2010 9:16:59 AM   
Kazuya

4 nominations, including Best Picture and Adapted Screenplay. That puts a little smile on my face, although a Best Actor nom would have been more than fair for Copley

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 128
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 3/2/2010 9:21:04 AM   
shool

Yup happy to see this nominated. I definitely agree that Copley should have had a nod. Outstanding performance.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 129
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 3/2/2010 9:23:59 AM   
Kazuya

The performance is absolutely incredible, hands down the most impressive actor debut ever, if you ask me.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 130
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 3/2/2010 12:15:13 PM   
CORLEONE

Yep, right up there with Ed Norton in Primal Fear.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 131
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 3/2/2010 12:51:22 PM   
clownfoot

Aye, it's a shame that Copley missed out on a nod. His Afrikans is superb, the terror he shows during the body horror sections wonderfully believable, there's genuine pathos in his relationship with his wife that gives the film a credible emotional wallop, and even though Vickers is a bit of a twit Copley still makes him come across as a likeable goof come the end (although the alien ED-209 my have something to do with that). Brilliant stuff.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 132
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 3/2/2010 7:42:07 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Aye, it's a shame that Copley missed out on a nod. His Afrikans is superb, the terror he shows during the body horror sections wonderfully believable, there's genuine pathos in his relationship with his wife that gives the film a credible emotional wallop, and even though Vickers is a bit of a twit Copley still makes him come across as a likeable goof come the end (although the alien ED-209 my have something to do with that). Brilliant stuff.

He also has the best line of the year, about being blinded with a fooken lollipop

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 133
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 4/2/2010 9:28:16 AM   
Kazuya

"This is..this is very illegal..I mean, this is... this is a find."

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 134
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 4/2/2010 10:55:49 AM   
Magenta

I saw this the other day on dvd having missed it at the cinema and thought it was just knockout brilliant. So well done and original,thats how to do desecent Sci-fi.
That and Moon are definitely two of the best I've seen in a while. I hope for some recognition for District 9 at the Oscars and the same for Moon at the Baftas.

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 135
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 4/2/2010 2:08:30 PM   
Kazuya

Absolutely, this is how you do Sci-Fi, down and dirty, Verhoeven-Style

And I gotta say Mags, LOVE that av of yours.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Magenta)
Post #: 136
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 4/2/2010 10:41:51 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

Absolutely, this is how you do Sci-Fi, down and dirty, Verhoeven-Style

And I gotta say Mags, LOVE that av of yours.

+1 on the av, I wanna watch the The Crow now

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 137
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 30/5/2010 7:53:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

Who would have guessed at the start of 2009, that this would be the summer movie of the year (well, maybe Star Trek is fighting for first place) and demostrated that you didnt need 300 million to impress people with action scenes. Wilkus + Mech>>>>>all of Transformers 2.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 138
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 31/5/2010 8:54:45 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

5 minutes of this film is better than the whole Transformers franchise.
A sequel??
Could be great,but could go badly wrong.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 139
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 31/5/2010 6:00:56 PM   
jobloffski

W was told by Chris he would come back and cure him, in about three years. IMO that's more or less setting the time frame the release of DISTRICT 10 right then and there.

If Chris returns, what is he going to find? Cos isn't D10 basically a concentration camp (kon-zen-tray shun kemp, in the accent/ecksent )? What if Chris returns to find a final solution type situation?

Chris was pretty miffed by what the humans were already doing, if others of his race feel the same, I smell invasion fleet, intended genocide (or, revengocide, if you will), and the only chance humanity has is an ex civil servant hung out to dry by his people, who may not even want to be rehumanised by chris, if that's even possible...

Oh yeah, class all the way re D9 and. Shades of many other films, but casting it's own very impressive shadow over many more expensive efforts.

Brilliant way of sneaking the whole 'there's just as much poverty here as there ever was' social commentary stuff into a mainstream(ish) film and still having plenty of room to deliver the insane violence and quirky hilarious frenzy for cat food on the part of the prawns.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 31/5/2010 6:17:49 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 140
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 2/6/2010 2:31:47 PM   
DazDaMan

I watched this for the first time last month, and I enjoyed it even though I wasn't in the mood for it.  I feel another, more in-depth viewing coming on....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 141
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 27/7/2010 8:10:57 PM   
clownfoot

A review...

If Paul Verhoeven has wet dreams, they probably look a little bit like District 9. A brave new world framed within an awesome action-fest that belies an otherwise intelligent social commentary; seamless special effects that make modern blockbusters blush at the size of their effects budget; and, most importantly, demented alien weaponry that eviscerates victims into a bloody pulp of glorious, glorious gore. So Verhoeven's probably crying himself to sleep that out of the remains of the aborted Halo movie the world's hairiest and most recognisable hobbit (Peter Jackson to the uninitiated) decided to give young pretender to the throne, Neill Blomkamp, the keys to the kingdom of WETA. Who was to know that with his first feature film he'd somehow better Verhoeven's back catalogue with not even a demure three breasted women or any kind of American baiting in sight!

Aliens have finally arrived on Earth! Yet instead of obliterating New York in a furnace of fiery death as expected, the aliens have parked their beaten-up shed of a ship outside Johannesburg. Given the usual warm human welcome, the dim-witted 'prawns' found on board are quickly eyed with suspicion by the locals, decreed lowest of the low and exiled to District 9, a slum on the outskirts of the city. After 20 years of the derelict ship hogging the skyline and inconsiderate prawns causing a general nuisance, the inhabitants of Joburg demand the government shift the incompetent drones to a more suitable home, preferably a galaxy far, far away. Enter MNU (Multinational United), the organisation set up to control alien affairs, and specifically irritating desk-monkey Wikus van der Merwe (Sharlto Copley) who is charged with leading the forcible eviction of the prawn problem to a designated happy camp that would make the Nazis blush. However, Wikus' discovery behind the mysterious workings of the exquisite alien weaponry MNU have been floundering to establish since the aliens' first arrival, and the befriending of a prawn named Christopher Johnson (Jason Cope) cause a strange metamorphosis to overcome Wikus. With his loyalties and prejudices challenged, Wikus becomes MNUs public enemy number one and, hunted as a fugitive by the organisations military arm, he enters the one place he knows they are unlikely to follow - District 9 - to look for Christopher's help, salvation and a shitload of alien weaponry...

At first glance there would seem little unique about District 9. The concept of a human and alien double act teaming up to expose the underlying nastiness of a large corporate conglomerate is nothing particularly new, with both Alien Nation and Enemy Mine having previously, uhm... mined such themes within the sci-fi cannon. Likewise, the Wikus and Christopher dynamic is really no different to that of Riggs and Murtaugh (just with fewer wise-cracks) and the slew of buddy-buddy partnerships that have since followed. It's a tried and tested formula that generally works, but subsequently can lead to a drab, mediocre movie. Yet, District 9 is anything but formulaic. Unlike most flicks under the buddy-buddy staple, you don't really see where District 9 is going plot-wise until the finale, a masterstroke that provides a tension and intrigue often missing from its genre contemporaries. Wikus' plight, ordeal and retribution are therefore entirely captivating. And when you add an unconventional documentary style mixed with a good dollop of body horror, a smidgeon of action adventure and some clever sci-fi musings, well you can't help but have a huge grin on your face come the closing shot.

Credit really has to go to Blomkamp for creating such a fusion of styles. With only a number of short films to his name, the most important being 'Welcome to Joburg' which lays down the foundations from which District 9 has been constructed, his first feature could have been little more than amateurish. The fact it's slick and compelling is largely surprising. Sure, having Jackson and WETA for support is going to go some way to making your first feature stand out visually, but Blomkamp is certainly responsible for the ballsy decisions that impact so indelibly on District 9's style. For instance, to film the movie unconventionally as part documentary, with protagonists informing the viewer on events that have already happened, and splicing it with normal cinematic footage for the 'unknown' elements of the story, could have made for a jarring, confusing experience that left the audience cold. As it stands, it's edited together so well that you barely notice the joins as the movie flips from one format to the other with surprising elegance. Such a method also ensures that the viewer is brought completely up to speed with the timeline of the alien arrival to their eviction before the title credit even rolls, meaning Blomkamp has much more time to delve into that which matters - the fall and rise of Wikus.

Likewise, the decision to film Jason Cope on stilts and then overlay the prawns' exterior over his movements is equally commendable. Not only does it build on believable characteristics and movement of the aliens (for his part, Cope is utterly superb despite only seeing his visage as a character in the documentary segments), it ensures the CGI seems natural and comfortable on screen and not entirely out of place alongside the real backdrops (no green screen here - most of the action is shot outdoors). Indeed, despite the smallish budget, the effects are utterly superb throughout. The eerie, desolate alien ship hogging the serene Johannesburg skyline is beautiful, as are the kick-ass alien weapons when they finally burst into life. With Blomkamp at the helm, there is something just so refreshing about District 9 that would have been lost in the hands of a more mature director. Pure exuberance coupled with a little talent and the art of experimentalism, does a quality film make.

And that's without discussing Sharlto Copley. Feck knows where Blomkamp found him, but what an exceptional talent. Indeed, much of the success of District 9 largely falls on the shoulders of this unknown actor. Copley pulls off the rather difficult task of playing an utter dickhead that does a number of outrageously stupid things throughout the film with aplomb. Think a prototype Bruce Campbell that can actually act! His heavy Afrikaans accent, Hitler styled comb-over and naïve superiority complex over the prawns makes Wikus instantly dislikeable, particularly throughout the ad-libbed documentary sequences that Blomkamp encouraged Copley to perform. But despite Wikus' flaws, Copley still has the ability to ingrain an aura of fragility in Wikus that makes him human to the core. His metamorphosis from willing, unquestioning lackey to alien sympathiser (although still driven by an innate selfishness) requires that most difficult of performances - a convincing breakdown - and Copley deftly handles the task with unnerving authority. In essence Copley becomes Wikus, providing the audience with a character you'd follow though hell and back, if only to see what he could possibly stuff up next. That he acquires our sympathy and delivers a level of unexpected pathos on this journey as well, is simply marvellous.

The quality of the acting and directing are, quite simply, immense and help to sharpen up the remainder of the film. The last 45 minutes is similar in style to The Matrix, providing an absorbing action finale that would be much less without Copley and Cope's previously astute characterisation or Blomkamp's finely crafted story-telling. That the action is so wonderfully manicured just heightens it further. An appearance by ED-209's second cousin with a rail gun that combusts enemies into bloody stumps is simply outstanding. As is Wikus' and Christopher's storming of the MNU head office in a sortie that shows the real firepower of the alien weaponry to full effect. It's deliriously entertaining carnage that Verhoeven on acid would find difficult to better. When that first soldier is simply vaporised into a blood stain on the wall - wow. Just wow!

But even then the carnage and gore do not over-ride District 9's central conceit. Any association to apartheid is clearly obvious, but this is not a film about South Africa (it just happens to be filmed there). The themes are much more universal than that. Confabulating over the modern ills of corporate capitalism and the ignorance and repugnance of humanity in one fell swoop, it's an accurate depiction of even when humanity finally does learn the lessons of its past, once a bunch of aliens turn up we will revert to type. We will repress and subjugate the rights of such a group merely because they look, smell, sound, act and think different to us. Plus they have kick arse weaponry, which makes it our right to take it away from them simply because they had the gall to discover the technology before we rightfully could. Humans, what a bunch of arseholes! Aliens have more to be scared of than we have of them, for sure.

So, District 9 is much more than just an absolute blast (although that's no bad thing in general); it does what all good science-fiction should do. Thoughtful and intelligent, it opens up a whole new visually resplendent world for the viewer to dive into, explore and question. That it's final shot leaves a lasting emotive punch full of (unexpected) pathos, is surely the icing on the cake. And in Wikus van der Merwe, it features one of the truly iconic sci-fi characters of recent memory (in your face Jake Sully). Even Verhoeven, holding back a tear, would applaud the job Jackson has done in trusting his protégé here. District 9 is an absolutely awesome film of pure awesomeness. It cannot be recommended any higher than that.

Overall - The best film of 2009. The best film of possibly the last decade. That is all!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 142
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 27/7/2010 11:14:26 PM   
Deviation

I'll consider this discussion never to have happened and live a better life loving District 9 and not disliking it for rather crap reasons.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 28/7/2010 12:10:05 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 143
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/7/2010 12:08:57 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I'll consider this discussion never to have happened and live a better loving District 9 and not disliking it for rather crap reasons.

What's upset you??

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 144
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/7/2010 12:10:25 AM   
Deviation

Nothing really, change of opinion.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 145
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/7/2010 12:14:42 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

Nothing really, change of opinion.

Someone's hacked into Dev's account!

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 146
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/7/2010 8:02:40 AM   
theieuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

A review...

If Paul Verhoeven has wet dreams, they probably look a little bit like District 9. A brave new world framed within an awesome action-fest that belies an otherwise intelligent social commentary; seamless special effects that make modern blockbusters blush at the size of their effects budget; and, most importantly, demented alien weaponry that eviscerates victims into a bloody pulp of glorious, glorious gore. So Verhoeven's probably crying himself to sleep that out of the remains of the aborted Halo movie the world's hairiest and most recognisable hobbit (Peter Jackson to the uninitiated) decided to give young pretender to the throne, Neill Blomkamp, the keys to the kingdom of WETA. Who was to know that with his first feature film he'd somehow better Verhoeven's back catalogue with not even a demure three breasted women or any kind of American baiting in sight!

Aliens have finally arrived on Earth! Yet instead of obliterating New York in a furnace of fiery death as expected, the aliens have parked their beaten-up shed of a ship outside Johannesburg. Given the usual warm human welcome, the dim-witted 'prawns' found on board are quickly eyed with suspicion by the locals, decreed lowest of the low and exiled to District 9, a slum on the outskirts of the city. After 20 years of the derelict ship hogging the skyline and inconsiderate prawns causing a general nuisance, the inhabitants of Joburg demand the government shift the incompetent drones to a more suitable home, preferably a galaxy far, far away. Enter MNU (Multinational United), the organisation set up to control alien affairs, and specifically irritating desk-monkey Wikus van der Merwe (Sharlto Copley) who is charged with leading the forcible eviction of the prawn problem to a designated happy camp that would make the Nazis blush. However, Wikus' discovery behind the mysterious workings of the exquisite alien weaponry MNU have been floundering to establish since the aliens' first arrival, and the befriending of a prawn named Christopher Johnson (Jason Cope) cause a strange metamorphosis to overcome Wikus. With his loyalties and prejudices challenged, Wikus becomes MNUs public enemy number one and, hunted as a fugitive by the organisations military arm, he enters the one place he knows they are unlikely to follow - District 9 - to look for Christopher's help, salvation and a shitload of alien weaponry...

At first glance there would seem little unique about District 9. The concept of a human and alien double act teaming up to expose the underlying nastiness of a large corporate conglomerate is nothing particularly new, with both Alien Nation and Enemy Mine having previously, uhm... mined such themes within the sci-fi cannon. Likewise, the Wikus and Christopher dynamic is really no different to that of Riggs and Murtaugh (just with fewer wise-cracks) and the slew of buddy-buddy partnerships that have since followed. It's a tried and tested formula that generally works, but subsequently can lead to a drab, mediocre movie. Yet, District 9 is anything but formulaic. Unlike most flicks under the buddy-buddy staple, you don't really see where District 9 is going plot-wise until the finale, a masterstroke that provides a tension and intrigue often missing from its genre contemporaries. Wikus' plight, ordeal and retribution are therefore entirely captivating. And when you add an unconventional documentary style mixed with a good dollop of body horror, a smidgeon of action adventure and some clever sci-fi musings, well you can't help but have a huge grin on your face come the closing shot.

Credit really has to go to Blomkamp for creating such a fusion of styles. With only a number of short films to his name, the most important being 'Welcome to Joburg' which lays down the foundations from which District 9 has been constructed, his first feature could have been little more than amateurish. The fact it's slick and compelling is largely surprising. Sure, having Jackson and WETA for support is going to go some way to making your first feature stand out visually, but Blomkamp is certainly responsible for the ballsy decisions that impact so indelibly on District 9's style. For instance, to film the movie unconventionally as part documentary, with protagonists informing the viewer on events that have already happened, and splicing it with normal cinematic footage for the 'unknown' elements of the story, could have made for a jarring, confusing experience that left the audience cold. As it stands, it's edited together so well that you barely notice the joins as the movie flips from one format to the other with surprising elegance. Such a method also ensures that the viewer is brought completely up to speed with the timeline of the alien arrival to their eviction before the title credit even rolls, meaning Blomkamp has much more time to delve into that which matters - the fall and rise of Wikus.

Likewise, the decision to film Jason Cope on stilts and then overlay the prawns' exterior over his movements is equally commendable. Not only does it build on believable characteristics and movement of the aliens (for his part, Cope is utterly superb despite only seeing his visage as a character in the documentary segments), it ensures the CGI seems natural and comfortable on screen and not entirely out of place alongside the real backdrops (no green screen here - most of the action is shot outdoors). Indeed, despite the smallish budget, the effects are utterly superb throughout. The eerie, desolate alien ship hogging the serene Johannesburg skyline is beautiful, as are the kick-ass alien weapons when they finally burst into life. With Blomkamp at the helm, there is something just so refreshing about District 9 that would have been lost in the hands of a more mature director. Pure exuberance coupled with a little talent and the art of experimentalism, does a quality film make.

And that's without discussing Sharlto Copley. Feck knows where Blomkamp found him, but what an exceptional talent. Indeed, much of the success of District 9 largely falls on the shoulders of this unknown actor. Copley pulls off the rather difficult task of playing an utter dickhead that does a number of outrageously stupid things throughout the film with aplomb. Think a prototype Bruce Campbell that can actually act! His heavy Afrikaans accent, Hitler styled comb-over and naïve superiority complex over the prawns makes Wikus instantly dislikeable, particularly throughout the ad-libbed documentary sequences that Blomkamp encouraged Copley to perform. But despite Wikus' flaws, Copley still has the ability to ingrain an aura of fragility in Wikus that makes him human to the core. His metamorphosis from willing, unquestioning lackey to alien sympathiser (although still driven by an innate selfishness) requires that most difficult of performances - a convincing breakdown - and Copley deftly handles the task with unnerving authority. In essence Copley becomes Wikus, providing the audience with a character you'd follow though hell and back, if only to see what he could possibly stuff up next. That he acquires our sympathy and delivers a level of unexpected pathos on this journey as well, is simply marvellous.

The quality of the acting and directing are, quite simply, immense and help to sharpen up the remainder of the film. The last 45 minutes is similar in style to The Matrix, providing an absorbing action finale that would be much less without Copley and Cope's previously astute characterisation or Blomkamp's finely crafted story-telling. That the action is so wonderfully manicured just heightens it further. An appearance by ED-209's second cousin with a rail gun that combusts enemies into bloody stumps is simply outstanding. As is Wikus' and Christopher's storming of the MNU head office in a sortie that shows the real firepower of the alien weaponry to full effect. It's deliriously entertaining carnage that Verhoeven on acid would find difficult to better. When that first soldier is simply vaporised into a blood stain on the wall - wow. Just wow!

But even then the carnage and gore do not over-ride District 9's central conceit. Any association to apartheid is clearly obvious, but this is not a film about South Africa (it just happens to be filmed there). The themes are much more universal than that. Confabulating over the modern ills of corporate capitalism and the ignorance and repugnance of humanity in one fell swoop, it's an accurate depiction of even when humanity finally does learn the lessons of its past, once a bunch of aliens turn up we will revert to type. We will repress and subjugate the rights of such a group merely because they look, smell, sound, act and think different to us. Plus they have kick arse weaponry, which makes it our right to take it away from them simply because they had the gall to discover the technology before we rightfully could. Humans, what a bunch of arseholes! Aliens have more to be scared of than we have of them, for sure.

So, District 9 is much more than just an absolute blast (although that's no bad thing in general); it does what all good science-fiction should do. Thoughtful and intelligent, it opens up a whole new visually resplendent world for the viewer to dive into, explore and question. That it's final shot leaves a lasting emotive punch full of (unexpected) pathos, is surely the icing on the cake. And in Wikus van der Merwe, it features one of the truly iconic sci-fi characters of recent memory (in your face Jake Sully). Even Verhoeven, holding back a tear, would applaud the job Jackson has done in trusting his protégé here. District 9 is an absolutely awesome film of pure awesomeness. It cannot be recommended any higher than that.

Overall - The best film of 2009. The best film of possibly the last decade. That is all!

This is a brilliant review. Totally agree with you. One of the best films of the decade

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 147
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/7/2010 12:40:48 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

I'll consider this discussion never to have happened and live a better life loving District 9 and not disliking it for rather crap reasons.

Sometime Dev, you're a downright loon...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 148
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2010 3:58:23 PM   
theieuan

"When dealing with aliens, try to be polite, but firm. And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet."

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 149
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 2/10/2010 7:13:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

I would love to see a When the Levees Break style mockumentary about this history of the aliens arrival. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI