Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 3:05:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

Have we all forgotton the "lets invade a planet that consists of 70% of stuff that will kill us" aliens of Signs?

Now they were dumb.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 91
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 3:07:26 PM   
Kazuya

This little beaut.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 92
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 3:15:08 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Have we all forgotton the "lets invade a planet that consists of 70% of stuff that will kill us" aliens of Signs?

Now they were dumb.

But they were a raiding party, or whatever Tech said.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 93
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 3:16:23 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

This little beaut.

FOR SHAME KAZ!

I used to like Pltuo Nash so damn me.........

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 94
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 3:18:38 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

Now they were dumb.

These dudes weren't too bright either as it turned out. And they DEFINITELY take the prize for worst design

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 95
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 3:26:57 PM   
Deviation

How the heck were they defeated, I completely forgot.

EDIT...MY 15000th post and it had to be about Battlefield Earth.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 28/9/2009 4:01:25 PM >

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 96
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 3:34:40 PM   
Kazuya

Yeah me too actually, but I do remember them leaving their weapons and shit lying around for the enslaved humans to steal, and Barry Pepper defeats them all, doesn't exactly vouch for their brightness. And anyone who wears codpieces that make them look like tripods must be a couple of cans short of a sixpack

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 97
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 5:09:44 PM   
krudler

quote:

Yeah, I actually thought about them after I posted that, not too bright are they
Neither are the aliens in ID4, what having their world destruction plan ruined by a computer virus There are exceptions of course, but ultimately I think D9 did well to give me something unique as far as the 'prawns' go.

20 years is a long time man, I liked Action Jackson 20 years ago

that wrecked my head, a civilisation can build mile wide spaceships, a 15 mile wide mothership, construct weapons big enough to level entire cities with a single blast and a massive arsenal of warships but they're beaten because they dont have a fucking firewall on their computer system?! my pc wont connect to a printer at the best of times never mind a fucking alien warship

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 98
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 5:28:31 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

Yeah, I actually thought about them after I posted that, not too bright are they
Neither are the aliens in ID4, what having their world destruction plan ruined by a computer virus There are exceptions of course, but ultimately I think D9 did well to give me something unique as far as the 'prawns' go.

20 years is a long time man, I liked Action Jackson 20 years ago

that wrecked my head, a civilisation can build mile wide spaceships, a 15 mile wide mothership, construct weapons big enough to level entire cities with a single blast and a massive arsenal of warships but they're beaten because they dont have a fucking firewall on their computer system?! my pc wont connect to a printer at the best of times never mind a fucking alien warship

Exactly It's so unfathomably moronic, I wonder who came up with the idea, Emmerich or Devlin?

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 99
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 29/9/2009 11:14:58 AM   
krudler

I just love the idea that an alien race uses a windows (or was it mac?) based operating system on their ships, its just insane, ID4 is good fun but thats one of the stupidest plot points in movie history

quote:

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 100
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 6/10/2009 4:45:51 PM   
matty_b

Copley was magnificent in this. I hated the little bastard's actions when he knocked Christopher out and left him outside the ship - one of those moments where you mutter "you fucking twat...", but then he redeems himself with the moment he swats the surface-to-air missile out of the sky before it hits the smaller ship.

Did anyone else do a fist pump in the air at that moment, or was that just me?

< Message edited by matty_b -- 6/10/2009 4:48:22 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 101
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 7/10/2009 1:59:39 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Copley was magnificent in this. I hated the little bastard's actions when he knocked Christopher out and left him outside the ship - one of those moments where you mutter "you fucking twat...", but then he redeems himself with the moment he swats the surface-to-air missile out of the sky before it hits the smaller ship.

Did anyone else do a fist pump in the air at that moment, or was that just me?

Fuckin' A, I could not agree more, I was steaming at that point, thinking, "you stupid fuck! you ruined everything!" He really is a complete douchebag for much of the film, but he makes good.

And it's a yes to the last comment too

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 102
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 7/10/2009 2:47:04 PM   
CORLEONE

Loved that bit. As much as I was throwing my fists in the air at that point I was nearly bawling like a baby when they brought out an innocent prawn and forced Wikkus to shoot it. Waaaaahhhh!!!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 103
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 7/10/2009 2:50:56 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Loved that bit. As much as I was throwing my fists in the air at that point I was nearly bawling like a baby when they brought out an innocent prawn and forced Wikkus to shoot it. Waaaaahhhh!!!

How fucking tense were those scenes, holy shit, everytime he was prodded to shoot the gun I winced, and then the horrible murder, his reactions to it..Christ.
It's a dynamite flick, but damn is it hard on the nerves.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 104
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 9/10/2009 11:47:41 AM   
krudler

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

How fucking tense were those scenes, holy shit, everytime he was prodded to shoot the gun I winced, and then the horrible murder, his reactions to it..Christ.
It's a dynamite flick, but damn is it hard on the nerves.

The animation on the prawn he kills is great as well, that look of "umm...what are you doing?" that he gives Wikus is heartbreaking

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 105
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 31/12/2009 3:09:19 PM   
juanvasquez

Finally watched this last night, and it was fokken' brilliant.

It was a harder watch than I was expecting, but it was fantastic. Copley gives an aweaome performance, particularly for someone whop hasn't acted before.

This is up there with Moon for me as movie of the year.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 106
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 31/12/2009 4:07:21 PM   
Virgil Brigman

I thought it was great to see an alien visitation/invasion film that portrayed extra terrestrial visitors going somewhere other than America, although I know this was down to the Apartheid comparisons more than anything else. This was the first Blu Ray that I bought and I loved it, but the thing that got to me was  how it managed to be a mixture of genres and type of story telling. Mockumentary, action spliced sci-fi, comedy, harrowing drama, body horror and a dose poignancy, it was terrific and I don't know about anyone else, but the final scene left me a bit misty eyed.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attackships on fire of the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tenhauser gate. All those moments will be lost, in time, like tears in rain. Time to Die.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 107
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 2/1/2010 7:30:43 PM   
Timon

quote:

Now they were dumb.

They weren't invading to stay though... they were invading to harvest... they always planned to fuck off afterwards.

< Message edited by Timon -- 2/1/2010 7:31:42 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 108
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 2/1/2010 7:40:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Now they were dumb.

They weren't invading to stay though... they were invading to harvest... they always planned to fuck off afterwards.

Yeah, but even the very fact that they invaded and seemed to not understand the concept of clothing for protection.

Another thing I liked about D9 - the Prawns wore clothes.

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be happy if there wasn't a sequel to this.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 109
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 2/1/2010 7:41:59 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, I don't want a sequel, either. Don't think it'll capture the fresh joy of the original.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 110
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 2/1/2010 8:59:28 PM   
batcountry84

I really enjoyed District 9. Very refreshing take on aliens and excellent CGI. Didn't look too overdone and didn't look fake and crappy. It was spot on. The guy playing Wikkus was great, especially seeing as its his first role.
I agree with you guys, leave it as a standalone movie. No sequels.

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 111
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 7/1/2010 1:28:13 AM   
somekindof_battery

So much better than Avatar

I just want the director to go on to make the Halo trilogy movie we all kinda deserve.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 112
RE: District 9 - 17/1/2010 7:46:52 AM   
AcE_3000

quote:

Anyway, I'll go as far as to call District 9 one of the best sci-flicks ever made. Show the love.

Hell yeah, this is an amazing movie. The FX was incredibly realistic, and I absolutely loved the plot. Sharlto Copley's performance should probably win an Oscar; he was brilliant in this movie. He played his role to such perfection that he was the one that actually carried the whole movie along. You can't get that quality with most Hollywood actors. The ending action sequence was amazing too! The tension really hypes up in the last several minutes! I was worried about the ending, but I actually think that's one of the best movie ending's in years. It was just so strong and fitting. I hope the sequel will be just as good, but I still don't think they have to make one. It would be good to keep this just on its own - the classic.

One of my all-time faves. It should get nominated for multiple Oscars.

"Who left the fridge open?"

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 113
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 17/1/2010 7:49:29 AM   
AcE_3000

Your right, Scott. People ended up shaking fists at the crew of this movie just because from a debut director and an actor who never acted before and a low budget they showed Holloywood how to make proper movies - this is going to become regarded as a classic, I betcha!

"Who left the fridge open?"

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 114
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 17/1/2010 12:41:35 PM   
Kazuya

Nice to see some more love for District 9. Keep it comin'

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to AcE_3000)
Post #: 115
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 18/1/2010 8:22:52 PM   
hampstead bandit

watched the Blu-Ray last night, after viewing the film in the cinema on release

a VERY good film, easily one of the best of 2009 alongside Star Trek

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 116
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 19/1/2010 11:43:27 PM   
clownfoot

It features the second greatest scene of self-mutilation (after you know what) and come the end Sharlto Copley has reached Bruce Campbell levels of having the shit kicked out of him. Add in a final 30 minutes which seems  like old school Verhoeven on crack (the Alien weaponary is just so awesome it makes me want to pee) and, well, that was just divine! 

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 117
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 20/1/2010 7:22:58 AM   
grucl

To think that Copley improvised all of his lines! The guy never acted before! What a talent! I can't wait to see what he does with the character of  Murdock in the A-Team!

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 118
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 20/1/2010 9:22:07 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

Add in a final 30 minutes which seems  like old school Verhoeven on crack (the Alien weaponary is just so awesome it makes me want to pee) and, well, that was just divine!

Absolutely, the final 30 minutes are hyper-tense, and fuck yeah, those weapons are cool. It was awesome reading in Empire about the 'Organ-Sampler' weapon that unfortunately didn't make it into the flick (well, maybe it would have been a touch much)

quote:

To think that Copley improvised all of his lines! The guy never acted before! What a talent! I can't wait to see what he does with the character of  Murdock in the A-Team!

It's incredible, I agree. Extremely impressive to say the least, the guy is a natural actor if there ever was one.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 119
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 20/1/2010 9:48:12 AM   
shool

Flippin loved this. I found it fresh and original and Colpeys performance was fantastic.

I dont fancy a sequel either, I think the filmis perfect as a stand alone unit it wll only go down the route of complete exposition to explain every dimension of the Alien visit to earth etc.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI