Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 11:45:32 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Speaking of which, I reallt think the cutesy child alien should belong in a different film.

I think the inclusion of Christopher's child worked effectively, just one of the reasons I connected emotionally to the film.

I love that little prawn.

Yeah me too

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 61
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 11:47:14 AM   
Deviation

You guys scare me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 62
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:05:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I agree with youi devi bouth the kid prawn. Especially his ability to control the ship and 'fix everything' and save the day. That seemed very Spielberg or Lucas. I dont wanna sounds like im pointlessly ragging on this movie. I do think it was very well made, but i just dont think it's as solid or as fresh as many others seem to.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 63
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:16:43 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I agree with youi devi bouth the kid prawn. Especially his ability to control the ship and 'fix everything' and save the day. That seemed very Spielberg or Lucas. I dont wanna sounds like im pointlessly ragging on this movie. I do think it was very well made, but i just dont think it's as solid or as fresh as many others seem to.

I've already said why I think Christopher's child belongs in the film so no reason to go into that again. But sure, one could be inclined to think the child was too able, too smart, I didn't, like I said earlier, I think many of the aliens are a lot smarter than they let on. As for him saving the day, well he does guide the craft, but the ship is saved and able to take off because of Wickus. As for the criticism, that's fine, there's always room for that, but just keep in mind that it is primarily a thread for people who liked the flick

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 64
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:26:52 PM   
Kazuya

I still can't get over the fact that this is Copley's first starring role in a feature flick. Fucking sensational performance.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 65
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:27:21 PM   
Deviation

It's not that the kid is too intelligent or something like that Kaz, it's his actions and movements and the way they were desinged I had problem with, same with some of Christopher's movment.

And I liked the film.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 66
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:30:20 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

It's not that the kid is too intelligent or something like that Kaz, it's his actions and movements and the way they were desinged I had problem with, same with some of Christopher's movment.

And I liked the film.

It's not that he's too intelligent? But his actions are on account of his intelligence and resolve, just like his dad. Except for the more playful moments, you didn't like those? What didn't you like about the design, can you be more specific?

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 67
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:40:09 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

devi do you mean literally the way he moves, ie his animation etc?

You're right Kazuya i have picked the wrong thread to bash the flick!

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 68
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:44:37 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

And I liked the film.

It's not that he's too intelligent? But his actions are on account of his intelligence and resolve, just like his dad. Except for the more playful moments, you didn't like those? What didn't you like about the design, can you be more specific?

The alien design is good. Really good. Just like the adult alien. It's the alien movement, actions (by designed I meant those), they weren't alien at all, they were human or cat/puppy like, I know this may come as a bizarre criticism but they didn't really seem alien, if anything it reminded of the animation and movement in Bambi and Finding Nemo (Christopher's anger when first going home to his son is another one that really seems human). And yes, I am also referring to the more playful moments as well. That said it was functional but the expectations that the accliam of the film had given me made me think it would do something new or better. It wasn't bad, just distracting, but maybe it was intentional to make the aliens look closer to humans and make the prejudice towards them more unfair and ignorant. I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't for the realism the film wants to have. And to the fact that Wall-E last year did something similar with far more ingenuity and brilliance.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 69
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:45:45 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

You're right Kazuya i have picked the wrong thread to bash the flick!

Nah, like I said, negative criticism is fine, gives us more to discuss. Bashing is not cool, but I don't think you've been doing that, just giving your opinion. And besides, you liked some elements of the flick, right?

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 70
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:47:12 PM   
Deviation

quote:

devi do you mean literally the way he moves, ie his animation etc?

And acts yes.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 71
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 12:50:55 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

quote:

And I liked the film.

The alien design is good. Really good. Just like the adult alien. It's the alien movement, actions (by designed I meant those), they weren't alien at all, they were human or cat/puppy like, I know this may come as a bizarre criticism but they didn't really seem alien, if anything it reminded of the animation and movement in Bambi and Finding Nemo (Christopher's anger when first going home to his son is another one that really seems human). And yes, I am also referring to the more playful moments as well. That said it was functional but the expectations that the accliam of the film had given me made me think it would do something new or better. It wasn't bad, just distracting, but maybe it was intentional to make the aliens look closer to humans and make the prejudice towards them more unfair and ignorant. I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't for the realism the film wants to have. And to the fact that Wall-E last year did something similar with far more ingenuity and brilliance.

Oh, okay then, got ya. I liked the movement pattern, I didn't think it was too human, but the aliens are bipedal just like us, so it's bound to be similar. I find some of your other comments puzzling, how does their movements make it less realistic, you know how that particular alien race moves about? The Wall-E comment doesn't make much sense to me either.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 72
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 1:04:36 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i think a big problem was the fact that the aliens basically ARE humans in everything but the way they look. Their subtitled dialogue shows us that they interract and have conversation patterns in exactly the same way humans do, they emote just like humans, they even dress themselves to mimic humans (although this is perhaps intentional as maybe the aliens are trying to 'fit in' on Earth). They just didnt like aliens at all, but humans who look like aliens.

That said, im gonna try and reign in the negativity and give District 9 it's due:

The best, best thing about the movie has already been mentioned, and that's Sharlto Copley. What an incredible performance. He gives us the full emotional gamut and isnt afraid to look silly and scared and not macho at all. 99.9% of all actors in Hollywood could learn a lot from this guy. The best thing is that his performance isnt 'movie acting' at all, it's the complete opposite, very believable, but also fresh to see in a big summer movie. He really blew me away and despite the character of Wickus making so many awful and unforgiveable decisions along the way, he still comes out likeable.

I mean you all summed it up with: 'Hey there little guy, it's the sweetie man!' LOL. Just brilliant. Wickus is such a prick at the beginning and a bureacratic jobsworth. I'm not 100% convinced that i dont still think he's a bit of a prick at the end but he almost redeems himself. Though the two main points i almost lost it with him (after having been won over) were when he knocks Christopher unconscious (that was definitely a yell at the screen moment) and when he goes to run away in the mech suit towards the end. Thank god he turned around, else I would have never forgiven him.

I really do wish that the movie showed more positivity in humanity though. I think overall this was my main gripe, i just found it too bleak overall. I know we've had comparisons to Verhoeven made here, but i dont think verhoeven wouldve included a very cutesy element like the kid, but hey that;'s just me.

I did think the CG looked very CG and i'm not as impressed by it as some, although the whole thing on a 30mil budget is very impressive.

I think it's also a bit too much start stop start stop in the second half. Blomkamp also spends too long stringing out certain moments to point of frustration, like Wickus climbing inside the damn mech suit (after the nigerians have been exploded that is).

For me though, this movie is all about Sharlto Copley. I think it's safe to say that if the movie didnt have him, it would have very little going for it IMO. He is just incredible. This is one of THOSE performances that just captivates you from start to finish. I loved his repulsion at his own transformation, he really sold it. Thank god for the region5 dvd rip so i can watch his best moment over and over.

< Message edited by DONOVAN KURTWOOD -- 26/9/2009 1:07:34 PM >

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 73
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 1:22:36 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

And I liked the film.

Oh, okay then, got ya. I liked the movement pattern, I didn't think it was too human, but the aliens are bipedal just like us, so it's bound to be similar. I find some of your other comments puzzling, how does their movements make it less realistic, you know how that particular alien race moves about? The Wall-E comment doesn't make much sense to me either.

I think donovan summed it up here. Damn I hate agreeing with that bastard Donovan.

quote:

i think a big problem was the fact that the aliens basically ARE humans in everything but the way they look. Their subtitled dialogue shows us that they interract and have conversation patterns in exactly the same way humans do, they emote just like humans, they even dress themselves to mimic humans (although this is perhaps intentional as maybe the aliens are trying to 'fit in' on Earth). They just didnt like aliens at all, but humans who look like aliens.

Becuase Kaz, but this comes down to personal opinion, I doubt that an alien that comes from a galaxy a billion light years away will act and behave (why didn't that word come around my head earlier, tomyself*no, I had to use movement, twat*tomyself)just like a human being. They don't act like aliens, but like humans.

My Wall-E comparison came from giving a robot human emotions but still keeping a robot. It wasn't a human dressed as a robot, but a robot with human emotions. Same with Finding Nemo and Bambi.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 74
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 1:31:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Devi dont agree with me, youll bring about the apocalypse!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 75
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 1:35:11 PM   
Deviation

Well I'm agreeing quite a bit with elab49 right now and nothing has happened yet, I still didn't implode, but if I agree with you or darth silas, I am very much afraid it will be the end of all existing things.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 76
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 8:15:05 PM   
Deviation

Btw, I think it's time to say what I loved about the film. I ended up focusing on what I found negative and fair enough to say what I enjoyed from it, and I did enjoy it. So ignore a bit my criticism on the aliens and plot and count me a fan of these things, please, kind, almighty Fokken Fans.

• Wikus. He is a great lead character, kind and charming to his wife who he truly loves, but horrible to the aliens until he becomes a kind of hero for them. He feels fleshed out, a breathing character. And you do see some believable character development in him, and the final shot with the metallic flower did move me. A flawed chracter, but one who has my empathy.
  • The humour, pigs getting thrown at soldiers, Interspecies sex lies, the lollipop, some of the killings.
  • The propaganda, the first hour is brilliant, watching the documentary only these aliens only to find out it's a lie through visual means, realising it's not as all seems.
  • The themes of racism and prejudice in the first hour. And the way it is allegorical to the apartheid, reminded me of The Host, which is pleasent (until I remember The Host was much better)
  • The abortion sequence, it was shocking. It truly was. And the popcorn comment is horrible.
  • The action sequences. I am not happy with the way the film changed after the first hour but it still had some great destruction. Go Mecha!
  • The way it takes influences and it still feels fresh in some areas. Go Robocop Mecha! And Fly transformaions
  • The Prawns designs.
  • That final shot. I actually felt sorry for Wikus
  • How great it looked. See you crap Big Hollywood directors, wasting 200 million on bloody awful films! Yes you! Look at what Blokamp did with 35! I was already amazed by Sunshine and Moon (which did it with 5) but this was truly great looking, even more stunning in the action sequences.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 77
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 8:37:13 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

• Wikus. He is a great lead character, kind and charming to his wife who he truly loves, but horrible to the aliens until he becomes a kind of hero for them. He feels fleshed out, a breathing character. And you do see some believable character development in him, and the final shot with the metallic flower did move me. A flawed chracter, but one who has my empathy.

Especially as at the start there's a bit with his wife where she shows the film crew some stuff Wickus has made for her, and she says that 'he says that way it means so much more' of him making things for her instead of just buying them. I didnt pick up on that first time round, and after having seen the ending, then rewatching the movie i found that quite moving.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 78
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 26/9/2009 11:01:20 PM   
hiptobesquare_x

I thought the film was great.

I'll admit it took me about half an hour to get into it properly, I mean that scene with the prawn in a bra...

The only problem I had was every time Wikus swore, he sounded scouse! (I'm probably alone in thinking that...) But Copley was fantastic, even though by the end I still didn't really like Wikus, he half redeemed himself, I think it was the 'abortions' that put me off.

The film worked so well in the sense that it wasn't a generic sci-fi, and actually had depth, without hammering home the political allegories (unlike V the tv series, but that's another matter entirely.) I can't wait to see District 10, and just hope the acclaim this one got doesn't mean the budget soars through the roof, and the integrity and creativity of the first is lost.

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

Post #: 79
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 27/9/2009 10:55:49 AM   
krudler

I forgot about the abortion scene, it was how frivulous Wikus made it seem that really hammered home how much if an unlikeable bereaucrat he was at the beginning, the way he's delighted with himself when he finds the cocoons or whatever they were and joking about the sound they made when the children are dying

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to hiptobesquare_x)
Post #: 80
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 27/9/2009 2:46:45 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

I forgot about the abortion scene, it was how frivulous Wikus made it seem that really hammered home how much if an unlikeable bereaucrat he was at the beginning, the way he's delighted with himself when he finds the cocoons or whatever they were and joking about the sound they made when the children are dying

Thing is he wasn't unlikeable, horrible to the aliens but very loveable to his wife and friends. It's not as if he was just a bastard at start and then turns good guy. It's what I like about him.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 81
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 8:13:31 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

Well they have been on Earth for a long time, they'd be bound to pick up some habits As for the subtitled dialogue, I loved it, usually when an alien race is depicted on screen they're all philosophical and mysterious, I thought the straight from the hip attitude was refreshing. Even intellectuals like Christopher speak simply, but I think there's a reason for that, which you also mention yourself.
I was completely convinced I was looking at alien creatures, that goes for the way they were rendered as well as their personalities. But hey, opinions vary.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 82
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 8:14:34 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

My Wall-E comparison came from giving a robot human emotions but still keeping a robot. It wasn't a human dressed as a robot, but a robot with human emotions. Same with Finding Nemo and Bambi.

Got ya.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 83
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 8:17:37 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

Thing is he wasn't unlikeable, horrible to the aliens but very loveable to his wife and friends. It's not as if he was just a bastard at start and then turns good guy. It's what I like about him.

Maybe he's kind to his family, but he is still very much a piece of shit at the start of the film, a careless, stupidly ambitious, fascist asshole. And it's a hard journey to redeem himself.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 84
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 2:22:50 PM   
krudler

He's the kind of person every office building has,well without the alien arm and giant mech suit, but you get what I mean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 85
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 2:46:06 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Well they have been on Earth for a long time, they'd be bound to pick up some habits As for the subtitled dialogue, I loved it, usually when an alien race is depicted on screen they're all philosophical and mysterious, I thought the straight from the hip attitude was refreshing. Even intellectuals like Christopher speak simply, but I think there's a reason for that, which you also mention yourself.
I was completely convinced I was looking at alien creatures, that goes for the way they were rendered as well as their personalities. But hey, opinions vary.

Except Mars Attacks!.

It's the 20 years just passing though. It feels short to me. But then again they are aliens and maybe they adapted faster than humans.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 86
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 2:53:13 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe he's kind to his family, but he is still very much a piece of shit at the start of the film, a careless, stupidly ambitious, fascist asshole. And it's a hard journey to redeem himself.

What to expect from the job and enviroment though.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 87
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 2:54:34 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

quote:

Except Mars Attacks!.

It's the 20 years just passing though. It feels short to me. But then again they are aliens and maybe they adapted faster than humans.

Yeah, I actually thought about them after I posted that, not too bright are they
Neither are the aliens in ID4, what having their world destruction plan ruined by a computer virus There are exceptions of course, but ultimately I think D9 did well to give me something unique as far as the 'prawns' go.

20 years is a long time man, I liked Action Jackson 20 years ago

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 88
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 2:55:26 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What to expect from the job and enviroment though.

We'll have to disagree on that.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 89
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 28/9/2009 3:02:53 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Except Mars Attacks!.

Yeah, I actually thought about them after I posted that, not too bright are they
Neither are the aliens in ID4, what having their world destruction plan ruined by a computer virus There are exceptions of course, but ultimately I think D9 did well to give me something unique as far as the 'prawns' go.

20 years is a long time man, I liked Action Jackson 20 years ago

Action Jackson? Micheal Jackson or Peter Jackson? Tell me, I deserve knowledge! I'm not a prawn you know!

What separates the aliens of MA! and ID4 is that one race of alien is intentionally daft.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI