Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

District 9

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> District 9 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
District 9 - 15/9/2009 11:36:54 AM   
Kazuya

So, I was completely blown away by this flick. I really didn't know what to expect, I had not seen any of Blomkamp's short films, but I thought it sounded interesting, and I was curious. I wasn't prepared for the wild, smart, emotional, gloriously violent smash it delivered, but I was wholeheartedly impressed. Fantastic lead performance by Copley, thundering sound design, incredible effects that mesh perfectly, btw, does anyone know if WETA handled it all in house? I don't recall seeing their name in the credits. Anyway, I'll go as far as to call District 9 one of the best sci-flicks ever made. Show the love.

< Message edited by Kazuya -- 25/9/2009 12:47:36 PM >

"Bleed, bastard."
Post #: 1
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 11:43:57 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Coley was fantastic in this flick. By no means original but I can't think of any other movie out there where I have seen someone killed by a 100mph propelled pig?

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 2
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 11:47:23 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: DAVID GILLESPIE

Coley was fantastic in this flick. By no means original but I can't think of any other movie out there where I have seen someone killed by a 100mph propelled pig?

I fucking loved that Probably one of the only shots in the entire flick that looked fake, but who cares when it's that much fun

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 3
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 11:51:18 AM   
Kazuya

"We need your signature on this eviction notice."

"Fuck off!" 

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 4
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 12:36:14 PM   
Scott_

"Hello, little guy. It's the sweetie man!"

The third act of District 9 is just awesome. Pure adrenaline fuelled action, Blomkamp managed to make the action in Transformers and Terminator look weak in comparison.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 5
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 12:46:53 PM   
homersimpson_esq

It was ok.The switch from documentary-style to regular filming jarred, and thus annoyed me everytime it switched between afterwards. The aliens' subtitled dialogue was awful, too. I mean, clichéd. I dunno, maybe my expectations were too high, but I left having enjoyed it, but with a distinct impression of it just being great, and not a masterpiece. Also, I felt that I knew exactly what was going to happen through the film - it was quite predictable if you knew the briefest of préces.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to badmouth the film - it was far, far better than the film I saw that preceded it - Adventureland, which was derivative and dull - but it was worse than I had been led to believe, and that left me with an unsatisfied taste in my mouth afterwards.

And I love SciFi...!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 6
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 1:10:18 PM   
kaner316

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

It was ok.The switch from documentary-style to regular filming jarred, and thus annoyed me everytime it switched between afterwards. The aliens' subtitled dialogue was awful, too. I mean, clichéd. I dunno, maybe my expectations were too high, but I left having enjoyed it, but with a distinct impression of it just being great, and not a masterpiece. Also, I felt that I knew exactly what was going to happen through the film - it was quite predictable if you knew the briefest of préces.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to badmouth the film - it was far, far better than the film I saw that preceded it - Adventureland, which was derivative and dull - but it was worse than I had been led to believe, and that left me with an unsatisfied taste in my mouth afterwards.

And I love SciFi...!

i think anyone calling it a masterpiece is seriously misguided, but it is an excellent effort, considering the limitations of budget, unknown cast and first time director.

i think it may suffer from too much hype. I've read reviews saying it's come in under the radar, which it hasn't. maybe for casual film fans, but anyone with a bit of interest would have heard about this quite a while ago, and the hype lavished on it from the likes of Harry Knowles has created a situation where a film that should have blown people away is now only good but "worse than I had been led to believe".  not a dig at you homer, but at the hype machine. this should have been allowed to grow by word of mouth.

I loved it, i thought the central performance was excellent, creature effects were brilliant, and there was a good emotional thread running through the whole thing. maybe there were a few rough edges, but all debut films have those.

Bartlet: What do we do with him?
Sam: Make him the Ambassador to Paraguay.
Bartlet: What do we do with the Ambassador to Paraguay?
Sam: Make him Ambassador to Bulgaria.
Bartlet: I like this. Because, if everybody keeps moving up one, I can go home

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 7
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 1:48:16 PM   
Olaf

I was a little disappointed, in that it wasn't as good as I had hoped from watching the trailers earlier this year - I thought the first half of the film was better than the rather standard action ending (though the action sequences were far more visceral and coherent than anything in Transformers or Terminator). That said, it's still well ahead of anything else I've seen this year and a massively accomplished debut. (Awaits inevitable shoddy sequels)

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to kaner316)
Post #: 8
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 1:51:55 PM   
CORLEONE

Fokken 'ell! Made it into favourites quick! But yeah, I loved it. Dunno how it'll stand up to repeated viewings but I loved the whole concept and with so many unanswered questions, I hope Blomkamp gets chance to do a sequel (one that he has control over).

In a summer of sci-fi powerhouses including Star Trek, Terminator and Transformers, District 9 topped 'em all IMO.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to kaner316)
Post #: 9
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 1:56:42 PM   
Olaf

Also, was I the only one who didn't have an issue with the switch between documentary style and "normal" film? I noticed that complaint in a lot of reviews but it didn't bother me that much to be honest.
EDIT after watching Alive In Joburg, it does seem more obvious that the action-oriented second half wasn't always in the concept. Might explain why it felt a bit out of place for some.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 15/9/2009 1:57:45 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 10
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 2:11:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

But Alive in Joburg has a big action set piece, takes up about a third of the short.

One of the things I liked about the subtitles is how the ones within the documentary felt different to the ones when we went into the "normal" film. Just some real subtle changes to the language. Much like the rest of the film, what the documentary segments tell us about the aliens may not be accurate.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 11
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 2:27:33 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

And I love SciFi...!

Well, to each his own I guess. I was ever so slightly annoyed by the fact that it started out as a fake docu and then drifted in and out of it, but my annoyance lasted for about 2,5 seconds I think, I was much too captivated to think about it more profoundly, and ultimately, for me, that means the flick achieved it's purpose fully. I completely understand why it was more than a slight annoyance for some, yourself included, but it was negligible for me. As for the dialogue of the aliens you mention, it seems that annoys a great deal as well, all the dialogue for the aliens was improvised by the actor who voices them, ditto for Copley's dialogue in all the eviction scenes as well as numerous others, I thought the improvisational quality was great, a good fit for the chaotic carnage unfolding. But again, I can certainly see why people would dislike it. As for the film, and whether or not it's worthy of the label 'masterpiece' is entirely individual, I think, one man's masterpiece is another man's Van Helsing.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 12
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 2:28:11 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Also, was I the only one who didn't have an issue with the switch between documentary style and "normal" film? I noticed that complaint in a lot of reviews but it didn't bother me that much to be honest.

Nope

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 13
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 2:30:21 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Fokken 'ell! Made it into favourites quick!

Yeah, what can I say, I loved it.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 14
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 7:25:30 PM   
evil bill

Well what a great sci/fi action movie,now it's no classic(sorry mate) as it steals from a lot of classics,but it a refreshing take on Alien Nation theme.The digital effects are so great they make it look like a true life documentary,the mother ship hovering over the city,a great rusty hulk up in the smoggy heat haze is so gobsmackingly realistic.And Copley's performance as Wikus van de Merwe, the functionary who must supervise the slum clearance,is again a very real powerful piece of acting.This all helps you believe in what is happening on screen,and of course the plot is well written,with some winks and nods to various Sci/Fi movies,also there is a message of mankind's own intolerance to others.But forget that and just enjoy the fast paced action,as some grizly encounters with the aliens turns to getto war.I for one enjoyed this movie and the 112 running time seemed short,even with the slow start,it's one movie on my must buy list.4/5

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 15
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 8:02:49 PM   
krudler

"He tried to blind me with a fokken lollipop!"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 16
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 8:20:24 PM   
Deviation

Yeah sure, start a fan thread, talk about how awesome it is as poor Devi cries for it to be released in Malta so that he can see it. I bet that makes you happy doesn't it?

Oh wait, it's been released.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 17
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 9:30:49 PM   
thedrin

I was completely unaware that there was any hype around this film until after I'd seen it, and had no intention of seeing it until the review source which most closely matches my opinions - The Irish Times - 5 starred it.

Fantastic film.

Brilliantly paced. No scene feels too long or too short, and in all the film feels like it's just the right length for the story being told.

The change from documentary didn't bother me in the least. The initial documentary sequence served as an efficient introduction to the world, but it was never likely they were going to be able to tell the story they wanted while maintaining a documentary setting. I also quite liked that it would, every now and again, cut back to a talking head.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 18
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 15/9/2009 11:04:13 PM   
kumar

I felt i could have watched another hour of this. Borderline hilarious in many places, completely ludicrous in others (see death by pig) and brilliant, numerous violent and gory deaths. Fokken' brilliant film ya.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to thedrin)
Post #: 19
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 16/9/2009 12:14:24 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

"Fuck off!" 

Is taht the alien saying "Fuck off!"? This looks brillaint. Can't wait to see it on Friday.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 20
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 16/9/2009 1:27:36 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I loved this, certainly one one of the best science fiction films I've seen in a very long time. Can't wait to see it again.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 21
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 16/9/2009 1:51:21 AM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

"Fuck off!" 

Is taht the alien saying "Fuck off!"? This looks brillaint. Can't wait to see it on Friday.

He sure does The aliens swear a bit which is funny, one of them wears a pink bra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 22
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 18/9/2009 12:58:17 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

But Alive in Joburg has a big action set piece, takes up about a third of the short.

The bit at the start with the truck? I wouldn't call it that big a set piece, though I understand what you mean. What I meant though was in terms of tone and style, it was a lot closer to the first half of the film. You don't get the feeling from watching it that it would be the first half of a film that ends in a big action fest.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 23
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 18/9/2009 11:46:46 PM   
Deviation

Well, sorry guys but I found this quite disappointing, it's good, great in some moments but the moment it becomes a cliched buddy story.......it just becomes poor. Some great imaginative action though that should some action directors how to do an action film. And the way it suddenly ignores it's interesting themes, for well, another buddy movie with the same old BAD mercenary types (and badly performed) and EVIL Nigerians and EVIL white corporations.

I liked Wikis though, and the action is great, but it all felt underwhelming when it degenerated into a buddy film.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 24
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 23/9/2009 8:32:48 AM   
scotland87

Hi, this is my first post on empire. Just thought I would start my "life" on these forums by stating how much I loved this film! It surely must be THE sci-fi film of 2009 (even though James Cameron is my favourite director I think he will be hard pushed to beat District 9, especially going on the trailers I have seen of Avatar!)
I found it a very entertaining film filled with subtle (and not so subtle) references to things such as the AIDS virus, racism and the tough job that many people face in third world countries and living in the slums.
The CGI effects and make-up are awesome, the story has perfect pacing and keeps you on the edge of your seat. They didnt chicken out and make an ending which would have pleased the money grabbers either!

Ten out of ten in my books!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 25
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 23/9/2009 8:49:43 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Welcome to the forums.

quote:

ORIGINAL: scotland87

Hi, this is my first post on empire. Just thought I would start my "life" on these forums by stating how much I loved this film! It surely must be THE sci-fi film of 2009 (even though James Cameron is my favourite director I think he will be hard pushed to beat District 9, especially going on the trailers I have seen of Avatar!)
I found it a very entertaining film filled with subtle (and not so subtle) references to things such as the AIDS virus, racism and the tough job that many people face in third world countries and living in the slums.
The CGI effects and make-up are awesome, the story has perfect pacing and keeps you on the edge of your seat. They didnt chicken out and make an ending which would have pleased the money grabbers either!

Ten out of ten in my books!

Sadly, you're wrong.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to scotland87)
Post #: 26
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 23/9/2009 9:16:16 AM   
scotland87

Going to admit that I had never heard of "Moon" until now. Looks good, although after reading the synopsis, I feel that there may be a strong possibility that this could contain a grating pomposity to it and may be a slow buring, spell-it-all-out-for-the-audience type of film...could be wrong though....probably am.

Post #: 27
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 23/9/2009 9:43:40 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: scotland87
I feel that there may be a strong possibility that this could contain a grating pomposity to it and may be a slow buring, spell-it-all-out-for-the-audience type of film...could be wrong though....probably am.

No, it's not like that. Watch it when you can.

Anyway, I loved District 9. I had no problem with the change in filming style, Copley gave a great performance and a film that was able to make me emotionally invested in a 6 foot prawn is quite an accomplishment. Funny and thrilling in equal measure.

(in reply to scotland87)
Post #: 28
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 23/9/2009 10:18:12 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman
a film that was able to make me emotionally invested in a 6 foot prawn is quite an accomplishment.

Racist.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 29
RE: District 9 - The Fokken' Fan Thread - 24/9/2009 12:29:24 AM   
Deviation

Speaking of which, I reallt think the cutesy child alien should belong in a different film.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> District 9 Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI