Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The University Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The University Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 1:55:08 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Just to give you an idea of price, an MA at Sheffield Hallam in Film and Journalism costs £4200, which isnt that bad. You could do it over 2 years for £450-ish more too.

Well, a humanities MA certainly seems to have doubled in price in the last eight years.  

Mine is actually £3600, which isnt too bad compared to a BA. In fact its practically the same as one year of study at a good uni.

£3225 a year to be precise for a BA

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 61
RE: The University Thread - 26/9/2009 9:03:17 AM   
losthighway

End of fresher's/induction week and god am i tired. It's a 3-4hr round trip daily commute for me so I will be grateful for the weekends and any self-directed study days when I can work from home. I'm already thinking i migt stay in Manchester a couple of nights mid-week to take the pressure off as i've already got my timetables so can plan ahead. I've met some really nice people, joined a society and being back in a university environment doesn't feel all that strange. I'm doing a profession-based course and it's about 80-20 in favour of mature students so i'm already seeing this is going to be a very different experience to my first time at university. Oh and went round the student's union activities tent yesterday with some mates (all that bit older) and we all agreed, the loud blaring music and squashed in like sardines was getting a bit too much, so we headed to the SU bar, had a drink and then went home as we were all knackered! Old farts or what!

Oh and someone asked about Film and Journalism. My first degree is in Film and TV Studies (theory based) and then I did my NCTJ pre-lim course in journalism. Admittedly, i'm now doing nothing like film/journalism but the NCTJ is definately worth having if you do want a career in journalism - in fact, it's pretty much a necessity in some places.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 62
RE: The University Thread - 26/9/2009 3:55:22 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

End of fresher's/induction week and god am i tired. It's a 3-4hr round trip daily commute for me so I will be grateful for the weekends and any self-directed study days when I can work from home. I'm already thinking i migt stay in Manchester a couple of nights mid-week to take the pressure off as i've already got my timetables so can plan ahead. I've met some really nice people, joined a society and being back in a university environment doesn't feel all that strange. I'm doing a profession-based course and it's about 80-20 in favour of mature students so i'm already seeing this is going to be a very different experience to my first time at university. Oh and went round the student's union activities tent yesterday with some mates (all that bit older) and we all agreed, the loud blaring music and squashed in like sardines was getting a bit too much, so we headed to the SU bar, had a drink and then went home as we were all knackered! Old farts or what!

Oh and someone asked about Film and Journalism. My first degree is in Film and TV Studies (theory based) and then I did my NCTJ pre-lim course in journalism. Admittedly, i'm now doing nothing like film/journalism but the NCTJ is definately worth having if you do want a career in journalism - in fact, it's pretty much a necessity in some places.

end of freshers week almost and i'm a goddamn mess. no other word for it.
eurgh....
actually looking forward to lectures just cos it'll b a quiet week!

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 63
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 1:58:17 AM   
Goodfella

The freshers week here has been pretty mental, they've been treated to some ridiculously cheap booze and have had some good events to go too not to mention Calvin Harris is playing a DJ set at the freshers ball. Did we get anyone close to Calvin Harris' stature last year? Did we fuck!

I went out last night and was mixing snakebite and famous grouse and coke in the end not to mention some cocktails at the only place still open in Greenwich at the end of the night (Bard and Green Lantern will know where I mean!)

Good to hear everyone's had good weeks.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 64
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 1:59:22 AM   
Olaf

I was at home sick for Fresher's Week. I missed Blazin' Squad.

"Gutted".

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 65
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 2:01:28 AM   
Goodfella

That must be a tragedy you're still not over.

What the fuck happened to Blazin Squad anyway, did they eventually make it through the crossroads into the world of reality and just give up?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 66
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 2:02:39 AM   
Olaf

Nope, they're still going it would seem (though I'm 90% sure I read an article saying they were splitting). I've been crying every night since I missed them, obviously.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 67
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 2:04:56 AM   
Goodfella

London wide boys the lot of them, complete one-hit wonder, reminds me of that other lot, So Solid Crew.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 68
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 2:07:57 AM   
Olaf

I GOT 21 SECONDS TO GO?

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 69
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 2:12:32 AM   
Goodfella

That's the one!

Lots of flash silver jackets and bling bling. The song was at number one for like 18 weeks!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 70
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 11:27:50 AM   
Olaf

Really? Surely the greatest indictment of the Great British Public possible. "Maniac 2000" by Mark McCabe was at #1 for 9 weeks as well, disturbingly. And don't get me started on Anything I Do (I Do It For You).

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 71
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 11:39:13 AM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

You. Are. Kidding?!

I know we're in a recession, but student unions never had money - surely they're not reducded to this?! What, were Aslan busy?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 72
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 9:46:06 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acho

quote:

You. Are. Kidding?!

I know we're in a recession, but student unions never had money - surely they're not reducded to this?! What, were Aslan busy?

i think some of them were at mine aswell.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 73
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 9:53:28 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

You. Are. Kidding?!

All too true sadly. I just hoped we'd get 5ive.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 74
RE: The University Thread - 27/9/2009 9:57:08 PM   
paul_ie86

The year I was in Maynooth we had Electric Six for Rag Week

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 75
RE: The University Thread - 28/9/2009 7:37:51 PM   
kumar

quote:

quote:

You. Are. Kidding?!

last year we had that twat from big brother. The one who had a large girlfriend. Cant remember his name but he kept saying "NOOO WEBECCA NOOOO". I got kicked out before he came on stage, but for what its worth at least I got a grab of the microphone and told everyone in the SU what I thought of the guy at the time. I felt gutted when I got kicked out. Looking at the unions pictures, there is a guy in the crowd and on everyone he has both hands with 2 fingers headed towards the stage- i never met him
The year before I think we had Fat Barry from Eastenders- missed him on stage apparently and when I was a fresher we had estelle (before she did anything good) and even then she only did 2 songs which was a complete let down.

Last christmas was brilliant though- we had Signature from Britains Got Talent. I was so wasted but was so happy. I even cried outside because I never got to meet them, but as I was doing so, both of them walked past me and walked out. I ran over, told them I loved them and got a photograph. Made my night that

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 76
RE: The University Thread - 28/9/2009 11:46:21 PM   
kumar

Incidentally, could anyone give me any advice about a dissertation- the beggining phase atleast. We had an induction to the final year and a dissertation tutorial- its got me into a right panic and ive not been able to take my mind off it! I dont want to fook it up! How did people manage with theirs and did they manage to keep up with their other interests?

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 77
RE: The University Thread - 29/9/2009 12:04:21 AM   
Rinc

Do you know how long yours is going to be?

I wasn't too bothered about my dissertation because at the same time i was making my final project film and the workload for the dissertation paled in comparison to that. What i did do though was tailor a lot of my essays in the second and third year to be of a similar subject so that when it came to my dissertation i'd already done a lot of the research. Of course then i changed my mind about my dissertation and did a completely different subject anyway so all that planning went out of the window! But also our dissertations weren't worth many credits anyway so it didn't bother me as much.

< Message edited by Rinc -- 29/9/2009 12:05:51 AM >

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 78
RE: The University Thread - 29/9/2009 1:20:20 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

Moved into my house last Sunday - had two awesome nights out last week - got the right kind of drunk and loved seeing everyone again.

Freshers week started last night - it was messy, a girl i know came up to me and shouted at me for no reason and then left - only for her best friend to try and kiss me later on. I was so drunk... not cool.

Not out tonight coz i'm poor - but i reckon i shud have gone out.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 79
RE: The University Thread - 29/9/2009 10:45:49 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Incidentally, could anyone give me any advice about a dissertation- the beggining phase atleast. We had an induction to the final year and a dissertation tutorial- its got me into a right panic and ive not been able to take my mind off it! I dont want to fook it up! How did people manage with theirs and did they manage to keep up with their other interests?

My best piece of advice, and the route I followed, would be to tie your dissertation into every other aspect of your third year work. I wrote my dissertation on John Cassavetes, which tied directly into the ideology behind my final piece of exhibited work in my third year, as well as building on the work I had done in my second year. It was an organic subject in that regard, in that it came naturally to me, and logically worked as part of my body work as opposed to feeling like this massive shadow hanging over one side of me.

Im actually working on my MA thesis already, and in prep am reading a book called "How to write a Thesis". It may sound crazy, but the writer of that claims that one shouldn't dispel their own ability to write a cohesive piece of ramble, and tells you to actively write from hand without constantly reverting to notes and references (which will obviously all be put in place later). Using this technique its not unfair to expect a thousand words a minute from yourself, although thats presuming that you actually know the subject of which you are writing about!

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 29/9/2009 10:46:21 AM >

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 80
RE: The University Thread - 29/9/2009 11:41:10 AM   
Meve

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Incidentally, could anyone give me any advice about a dissertation- the beggining phase at least. We had an induction to the final year and a dissertation tutorial- its got me into a right panic and ive not been able to take my mind off it! I dont want to fook it up! How did people manage with theirs and did they manage to keep up with their other interests?

write about something that interests you, figure out your broad and as you research refine it down to something that you're not going to doze off reading about. I found that starting to write when I had a really general title helped me figure out how to refine it cause my writing naturally lent in the direction I wanted to go, so maybe try that?
Start your research ASAP and learn to discipline yourself with writing:
I'm a 'write the essay the night before' kind of a gal but for dissertation I was going to be abroad filming my final project until the week before it was due so I had to structure my time and stick to it and it really helped actually, and I had it pretty much done a good month before hand in. So, plan, start researching and planning what you're going to write about right now and keep a steady pace, I know a lot of people who didn't start it until really close to the deadline which just results in panic and a loss of sleep + every other aspect of your life, if you start it early you can keep a steady balance with other work and actually enjoying yourself.

Also, find a tutor who knows a bit about what you're writing about, one of my tutors was great in helping me figure out structure and stuff when I was really stuck, go to them frequently to keep your chapters on track and your referencing in check.

which reminds me, reference as you go along, I did not...and trying desperately to find where I'd written down the source of a quote/opinion in my mass of notes at the last minute was a bit of a nightmare. It seems it's always easier to find things the first time...

hope any of that is helpful...

x

Dance with the Thunder and Lightning

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 81
RE: The University Thread - 29/9/2009 1:23:01 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just to give you an idea of price, an MA at Sheffield Hallam in Film and Journalism costs £4200, which isnt that bad. You could do it over 2 years for £450-ish more too.

Well, a humanities MA certainly seems to have doubled in price in the last eight years.  

Mine is actually £3600, which isnt too bad compared to a BA. In fact its practically the same as one year of study at a good uni.

Hold on. You have to pay for a BA nowdays?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 82
RE: The University Thread - 29/9/2009 1:26:01 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hold on. You have to pay for a BA nowdays?

Quiet down there, granddad, and get back to your BMED in Trepanning or whatever.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 83
RE: The University Thread - 29/9/2009 8:59:14 PM   
kumar

Cheers for advice guys. Im just starting this years portfolio- will aim to get the start out of the way by this Friday. Then ive got another 2 weeks or thereabouts to research for a topic. 

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 84
RE: The University Thread - 5/11/2012 1:25:18 PM   
clownfoot

Just popped down to the Institute of Education and enrolled. I am a student again.....Muwhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 85
RE: The University Thread - 5/11/2012 1:43:15 PM   
jonson

quote:

Just popped down to the Institute of Education and enrolled. I am a student again.....Muwhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Give it 6 months and you'll be back wearing nappies.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 86
RE: The University Thread - 6/11/2012 9:45:18 AM   
sanchia

Trust Jonson he has been back wearing nappies for a few years now.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 87
RE: The University Thread - 6/11/2012 4:31:02 PM   
Sinatra

My eldest is going to Uni... oh the shame....

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 88
RE: The University Thread - 6/11/2012 4:59:12 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

My eldest is going to Uni... oh the shame....

Bloody mature students, I mean, your eldest must be in her 50's by now?
Anyway, as much as it pains me to say, good luck.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 89
RE: The University Thread - 7/11/2012 11:37:44 AM   
kumar

Haha, just saw some old posts which have made me mildly embarrassed!

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The University Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI