Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The University Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The University Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The University Thread - 15/9/2009 11:22:17 AM   
mustbebunnies

ive been out of uni for a year now, and I still miss it! Even the work stuff! I actually feel like my brain has melted since leaving, I'm living back at home and all my mates have moved away. I need an escape plan!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 31
RE: The University Thread - 15/9/2009 11:30:59 AM   
lord of the pies

I am going into my third and final year. I'm at Kingston University studying film. I moved back down a few days a go and just settling back in. I'm not even sure when term starts but I think freshers week is next week so I'll make sure I'm around to grab any free stuff that I can.

Join The Church of JJ today!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=527670&mpage=23&key=&NID=0#2414995

(in reply to mustbebunnies)
Post #: 32
RE: The University Thread - 16/9/2009 6:38:27 PM   
losthighway

Interest fact regarding NUS discount at HMV which I found out today...

As of 30th September 2009, they are stopping their student discount card. People who currently have one can use it upto that date after which, we'll all be forced to pay their extortionate in-store prices! They even used to offer the discount on their online store but not anymore.  This really surprises me as they were offering NUS discount when I was at uni first time 10 years ago, plus you'd think in a recession they'd want as many folks through the doors as possible... but nope!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to lord of the pies)
Post #: 33
RE: The University Thread - 16/9/2009 6:50:44 PM   
paul_ie86

They have their own discount card though, don't they?

EDIT: I went back into first year a week ago, and I'm already knackered.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 16/9/2009 6:51:52 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 34
RE: The University Thread - 17/9/2009 10:07:18 AM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

They have their own discount card though, don't they?

EDIT: I went back into first year a week ago, and I'm already knackered.

In the olden days, you used to show your NUS card and they would then give you one of their own student cards with a swipe strip on it, however as of 30th September ALL student discounts (i.e. using their discount card or your NUS card) will cease! They will offer students nothing. Unbelieveably daft imho.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 35
RE: The University Thread - 17/9/2009 10:59:10 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I'm at uni in Sheffield, going back on tuesday for intro week in my second year, which is freshers for first years. Great university city once you get to know it, great for cinemas - Showroom's been mentioned - plus the giant Cineworld at Valley Centertainment and Meadowhall's 20 minutes away on the tram. Don't know if anybody knows of it but I'm living in privately rented halls at a place called The Pinnacles near the train station.

Bit annoyed about the HMV discount disappearing, one of my few outlets for blowing money with 10% saving. Ah well.

< Message edited by KnightofZyryab -- 17/9/2009 11:00:06 PM >

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

Post #: 36
RE: The University Thread - 18/9/2009 2:22:09 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

I'm at uni in Sheffield, going back on tuesday for intro week in my second year, which is freshers for first years. Great university city once you get to know it, great for cinemas - Showroom's been mentioned - plus the giant Cineworld at Valley Centertainment and Meadowhall's 20 minutes away on the tram. Don't know if anybody knows of it but I'm living in privately rented halls at a place called The Pinnacles near the train station.

Bit annoyed about the HMV discount disappearing, one of my few outlets for blowing money with 10% saving. Ah well.

I think  my housemate lived there for his second year at Sheffield before he dropped out.

Is it the halls with like super deluxe rooms?

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 37
RE: The University Thread - 18/9/2009 4:38:59 PM   
swordsandsandals

I'm now well into Fresher's week and I'm loving it. I'm a member of two cinemas now and I've worked out that on certain days I can watch a film for 75p. I fricking love uni. Not only that but there are loads of bonus free screenings AND I'm part of the film society which is showing a ridiculous amount of films in the future. Hoorah!

So yeah, apart from that my flat mates are all really nice. We're a weird flat. It's 5 guys yet our kitchen is always tidy, we have fresh food in the fridge, including vegetables, and three of us more or less don't drink. We all get on really well, wash up each other's dishes, and everyone is really jealous. In short, we're the worst student flat ever and I love it.

For the record I'm at Edinburgh, studying English Lit, with outside courses in French and Social anthropology.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 38
RE: The University Thread - 18/9/2009 5:29:55 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

I'm now well into Fresher's week and I'm loving it. I'm a member of two cinemas now and I've worked out that on certain days I can watch a film for 75p. I fricking love uni. Not only that but there are loads of bonus free screenings AND I'm part of the film society which is showing a ridiculous amount of films in the future. Hoorah!

So yeah, apart from that my flat mates are all really nice. We're a weird flat. It's 5 guys yet our kitchen is always tidy, we have fresh food in the fridge, including vegetables, and three of us more or less don't drink. We all get on really well, wash up each other's dishes, and everyone is really jealous. In short, we're the worst student flat ever and I love it.

For the record I'm at Edinburgh, studying English Lit, with outside courses in French and Social anthropology.

Come back to us in a few months and tell us how it is going. Freshers week at Bradford is just about to start and I hang my head when I look at what freshers week this year to offer. Our student union is undergoing a long needed demolishing and reworking, and Im not sure there is a bar on maion campus anymore- so most of the student nights are going to be held in in the town which is a bit shoddy as most of the venues are shoddy and theres only about 5 of them, all within a very very very tiny distance (ie right next to each other).

Having said that I dont think ill be going to any of the events and think Ill head to Leeds instead! Lots of clubs, booze and not least ladies that side of the hill! ya man!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 39
RE: The University Thread - 18/9/2009 7:51:49 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Come back to us in a few months and tell us how it is going.

Exactly what i was thinking.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 40
RE: The University Thread - 18/9/2009 10:28:47 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

quote:

I think  my housemate lived there for his second year at Sheffield before he dropped out.

Is it the halls with like super deluxe rooms?

From what I've heard from my friend - I didn't actually look at the rooms ! My friend who I'm staying with told me they're very good, and the beds are 3/4 double bed so there's plenty of space. For me I mean. It's a little bit out of the way but I'm close to the Showroom so that's good news.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 41
RE: The University Thread - 18/9/2009 11:33:14 PM   
adambatman82

I had my first day at Sheffield Hallam today. It was an induction for dyspraxics and dyslexics, which wasn't particularly useful, but I had a very productive meeting at the Showroom afterwards. I have been given my own programming strand from January, which is beyond amazing (considering that Im aiming to become a programmer/curator with my Masters). For the first time I genuinely feel like my education is actually getting me somewhere.

Post #: 42
RE: The University Thread - 19/9/2009 12:59:00 AM   
losthighway

As i've lived/worked in and around Sheffield throughout my life I'm glad to hear folks are enjoying the place and taking advantage of The Showroom. As with most places you grow up in, they start to feel very small and claustrophobic so i'm very much looking forward to heading for Manchester next week and starting afresh, but whatever else you do in Sheffield, don't waste £6.50 on going on the big wheel on Fargate... do yourself a favour and drive out/take a bus into the countryside surrounding the city and get a lot better views for a lot less money!!!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 43
RE: The University Thread - 20/9/2009 4:36:15 PM   
adambatman82

Does anyone know where there are any online student discounts for text books at the moment? Borders have a 20% offer in store, alas they only had two of the eight books I need in. The Book Depository had a 10% offer on a while back, but its run out now I've decided I should probably buy them!

Post #: 44
RE: The University Thread - 21/9/2009 8:53:57 AM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Does anyone know where there are any online student discounts for text books at the moment? Borders have a 20% offer in store, alas they only had two of the eight books I need in. The Book Depository had a 10% offer on a while back, but its run out now I've decided I should probably buy them!

Think you should wait around for a while. Your SU will probably have a book sale in upcoming weeks, or look for older students willing to seel their books for cheaper. 20% might seem cheap in store, but the books are usually still really expensive. Just a little tip for you mate, but as it is, I dont know anywhere with any discounts!

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 45
RE: The University Thread - 21/9/2009 11:03:21 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

quote:

Think you should wait around for a while. Your SU will probably have a book sale in upcoming weeks, or look for older students willing to seel their books for cheaper. 20% might seem cheap in store, but the books are usually still really expensive. Just a little tip for you mate, but as it is, I dont know anywhere with any discounts!

Ah, but you see my problem with waiting is that due to my dyspraxia I really need to plow through the books in these 2 or 3 quiet weeks or else I'll never do it. I've picked up a couple of the books from ebay over the summer, but theres an elusive 4 or so that I cant get a hold of second hand.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 46
RE: The University Thread - 21/9/2009 1:41:03 PM   
kumar

Ah, my bad mate sorry. Ive not really got an idea to help you then.

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 47
RE: The University Thread - 22/9/2009 10:22:14 AM   
richCie

quote:

I'm at uni in Sheffield, going back on tuesday for intro week in my second year, which is freshers for first years. Great university city once you get to know it, great for cinemas - Showroom's been mentioned - plus the giant Cineworld at Valley Centertainment and Meadowhall's 20 minutes away on the tram. Don't know if anybody knows of†it but I'm living in privately rented halls at a place called†The Pinnacles near the train station.

sheffield hallam or sheffield uni? and wat u studying?
as i mentioned before i'm at sheffield. university is fun isnt it? i say fun it's been pretty fucking crazy so far - though i'm a bit run down from all the late nights already. still havent made my way to the showroom yet- must do so soon.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 48
RE: The University Thread - 22/9/2009 3:56:53 PM   
mustbebunnies

recently ive been thinking quite a lot about going back to studying, its just the cost thats putting me off. Basically, if I had my time at uni again, I would study journalism alongside film, rather than just film and tv, so have been thinking about doing a short/part time course in journalism/writing.

has anyone else done something similar-studied part time etc? Or am I just wasting my time and subconciously trying to recapture my glory days at uni?

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 49
RE: The University Thread - 22/9/2009 5:27:30 PM   
adambatman82

The missus' father did his MA and PHD part time whilst teaching. The PHD took him seven years part time though! If I could have found an apt job I would have done my MA part time, alas all I can get is freelance work (which pays the bills, but only just). Just to give you an idea of price, an MA at Sheffield Hallam in Film and Journalism costs £4200, which isnt that bad. You could do it over 2 years for £450-ish more too.

Anyway, I've begun making my way through my text books. I honestly thought I would have got past being flummoxed by epistemological and Althusser-grounded Marxism. I literally got a headache last night! I've never felt dumber in my whole life.

(in reply to mustbebunnies)
Post #: 50
RE: The University Thread - 22/9/2009 11:23:47 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

as i mentioned before i'm at sheffield. university is fun isnt it? i say fun it's been pretty fucking crazy so far - though i'm a bit run down from all the late nights already. still havent made my way to the showroom yet- must do so soon.

Sheffield Uni studying English. How are you finding the city ? I got lost on my first night last year when I was staying at Endcliffe. Are you staying there by any chance ? We should all meet up at the Showroom or at the Cineworld at valley centertainment sometime.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 51
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 12:00:15 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm at uni in Sheffield, going back on tuesday for intro week in my second year, which is freshers for first years. Great university city once you get to know it, great for cinemas - Showroom's been mentioned - plus the giant Cineworld at Valley Centertainment and Meadowhall's 20 minutes away on the tram. Don't know if anybody knows of†it but I'm living in privately rented halls at a place called†The Pinnacles near the train station.

Sheffield Uni studying English. How are you finding the city ? I got lost on my first night last year when I was staying at Endcliffe. Are you staying there by any chance ? We should all meet up at the Showroom or at the Cineworld at valley centertainment sometime.

Rich and I are meeting for coffee at the showroom on friday if you fancy it?

Post #: 52
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 3:05:57 AM   
richCie

quote:

quote:

quote:

yeh i'm in Froggatt in Endcliife - really really nice accommodation. and ive only been into the city during the day thus far we havent made it further than the union in the night - been awesome regardless.
talking off late nights - i've had a night off from drinking tonight cos i been feeling wrecked - planned on getting an early night and yeh here i am - 3am.
i'm meeting adam on friday at the showroom at a as yet unspecified time - feel free to come along if you want - otherwise yeh we'll get a meet up sorted someday - there is a sheffield meet up thread lurking around page 2 off topic i think.

Post #: 53
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 3:15:06 AM   
richCie

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ahh the wonders of leaving a page open for hours and not refreshing - but coffee?

Post #: 54
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 9:30:16 AM   
Goodfella

There's currently a lot of very scared-looking students wandering around my campus, looking nervously into classroom windows, waving papers around and looking at one another like the boy next to them might have swine flu. Awww memories I've been stopped a good half dozen times to ask if I know where I'm going.

Our university is fairly hopeless when it comes to registration of students, it's an absolute mess over there but I don't remember it being that bad when I started last year.

How's Freshers Week treating all you newbies, seen daylight yet, probably a daft question at 9.30am?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 55
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 9:31:22 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah sure, what time ? And what do either of you look like ? Just so I don't end up going with two others for coffee ! 

Post #: 56
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 11:18:24 AM   
adambatman82

I've just emailed you Knight, as private messaging doesn't appear to work at the moment on here.

Post #: 57
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 11:33:35 AM   
richCie

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah sure, what time ? And what do either of you look like ? Just so I don't end up going with two others for coffee !†

you got facebook?
my name is Rich Clesham - give us an add.

and goodfella - i didnt drink anything last night and got up at 11 - which is the latest ive woken up this week. normally i get like 3 - 4 hours sleep here.
i'm a mess :P

Post #: 58
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 1:03:34 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Just to give you an idea of price, an MA at Sheffield Hallam in Film and Journalism costs £4200, which isnt that bad. You could do it over 2 years for £450-ish more too.

Well, a humanities MA certainly seems to have doubled in price in the last eight years.  

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 59
RE: The University Thread - 23/9/2009 1:50:42 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

Just to give you an idea of price, an MA at Sheffield Hallam in Film and Journalism costs £4200, which isnt that bad. You could do it over 2 years for £450-ish more too.

Well,†a humanities MA certainly seems to have†doubled in price in the last eight years.††

Mine is actually £3600, which isnt too bad compared to a BA. In fact its practically the same as one year of study at a good uni.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The University Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI