Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

HSBC telephone interview? please help!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 13/9/2009 7:06:11 PM   
a_new_power

Hi guys because of work I don't have enough time to prepare but I am using most of my spare time to do so! I have a job telephone interview for HSBC next week and was just wandering does anybody know what kinda questions they may ask it's a bit of a cheat but I need to prepare and get out of the current job I'm in.
Much appreciated in advance If not i'll just have to go through most of the competency questions.

< Message edited by a_new_power -- 13/9/2009 7:07:34 PM >

"A coward is a hero with a wife, kids, and a mortgage."
Post #: 1
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 13/9/2009 7:23:27 PM   
Goodfella

I did a telephone interview for Marks and Spencer once and all they really asked was about previous work experience and what I was hoping to get from coming to work there. If you passed that phase you got pushed onto a proper, official interview.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to a_new_power)
Post #: 2
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 13/9/2009 7:25:57 PM   
Tech_Noir

I remember doing a telephone interview for Next Directory when I was in college, failed miserably.

Started working for them a few weeks later.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 3
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 13/9/2009 9:11:59 PM   
steffols

I had a phone interview with Sky and I swear to whatever, getting a job at NASA is easier.

They asked me a bunch of 'think of a time' questions.  Those questions really put you on the spot.  They are usually stuff like 'Think of a time when you worked as part of a team', but Skys were ridiculously to the point.  'Think of a time when you had a problem with management in your job, what was the problem and how did you solve it?' '

Sorry, not much help there, Im rubbish at interviews so my help would no doubt hinder rather than help!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 4
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 13/9/2009 10:38:03 PM   
Twisted Kitty

Just found this which may be of interest.

http://www.whatwilltheyask.co.uk/Banking/banking6.htm

Good luck! 

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 5
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 13/9/2009 11:12:07 PM   
a_new_power

The problem I have with competency questions is they force you to make up lies, obviously I've got certain experience in certain areas, but shit like: name a time when you had to persuade a colleague to your way of thinking, or how did you resolve a disagreement with an employee? For those kinda questions I have to make something up because one I don't have disagreements with colleagues and nor do I persuade them to my way of thinking, why should I! They believe or think what they want and I do the same why should I be persuade anyone to do anything. It's just if you don't answer these questions your hiding something or not revealing an aspect and it really bugs me because it's not true.

Anyway thanks for sharing your experiences and thanks Twisted Kitty for that link.

< Message edited by a_new_power -- 13/9/2009 11:18:06 PM >

"A coward is a hero with a wife, kids, and a mortgage."

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 6
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 14/9/2009 12:23:06 AM   
the anomaly

Hang up ...

If they call back the balls in your court. Trust me.

Post #: 7
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 14/9/2009 5:42:01 PM   
kumar

quote:

They asked me a bunch of 'think of a time' questions. Those questions really put you on the spot. They are usually stuff like 'Think of a time when you worked as part of a team', but Skys were ridiculously to the point.
quote:

ORIGINAL: a_new_power

The problem I have with competency questions is they force you to make up lies, obviously I've got certain experience in certain areas, but shit like: name a time when you had to persuade a colleague to your way of thinking, or how did you resolve a disagreement with an employee? For those kinda questions I have to make something up because one I don't have disagreements with colleagues and nor do I persuade them to my way of thinking, why should I! They believe or think what they want and I do the same why should I be persuade anyone to do anything. It's just if you don't answer these questions your hiding something or not revealing an aspect and it really bugs me because it's not true.

Anyway thanks for sharing your experiences and thanks Twisted Kitty for that link.

You dont neccesarily have to lie, just take your time and breathe before you answer. Write down some examples of teamwork and experience you already have, even if it is a group project at college/uni. You need to communicate clearly so make sure you do breathe and be calm when you answer. Also give them specific examples of your communication within a group or with a tutor, emails phonecalls and all that malarky. Reflection is also key, dont be hasty to point out failures and shortcomings- you need to make it clear you can review your progress and create action plans for next time round to get a better result.
Also its HSBC, make sure you know what the role you are applying for involves and what the key responsibilities are. If you dont, read them- I was asked that at yorkshire water a year or 2 ago and I knew exactly what they wanted to hear, about their services, number of customers and aims. That shows you have the initiative and ambition to do well. Incidentally i didnt get the job because I couldnt commit to training hours, but I did the same at Tesco this year and got this one instead.

Thats about it really, good luck!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 8
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 15/9/2009 2:58:26 PM   
Toby Monroe

I had a phone interview once with a French lady, for a job in the US (A French company was setting up in America and wanted to employ English people to help "facilitate change". There's globalwatsit right there).

Anyway, it was one of the most erotic things i've ever been through.

[sultry french tone]"So Toby, tell me all about your experiences. Can you take direction? More importantly... can you give it!?!"[/sultry french tone]
Aaand I'm spent...

I didn't get the job. But i'll never forget her. I'm sure she remembers me with same sexy fondness.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 9
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 15/9/2009 3:10:05 PM   
Funkyrae

Normally with telephone interviews it's more a question of how you come across over the phone.  Do you sound confident?  How well did you answer the question they gave you?

It's more than likely that any training you need will be given when you get to the job and after the rest of the interviews you have so the telephone hurdle is just to check you can answer a question without "err, umm, yeah, so like I once did this thing where I was all like dude, that's sick."

Telephone interviews are usually about how you can communicate, there's plenty out there who don't like talking on the phone to people and plenty more who think they don't mind it but struggle when it's someone other than a friend or member of the family.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 10
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 18/9/2009 5:08:42 PM   
jinks

If you smoke, dont whatever you do, smoke whilst on the phone during the interview - they will hear it!

Trust me! 

But the VERY best of luck to you though fella, hope you get the job.

< Message edited by jinks -- 18/9/2009 5:11:31 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 18/9/2009 7:19:17 PM   
James74

As an ex-HSBC employee Im tempted to recommend you don't answer the phone when they ring. 
But seriously Id ask them about what development opportunities are available in company, ask about their current advertising campains like World Local Bank(check website) to show you're interested in the company oh and anything Customer Service related, they like them.
Good luck!

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 12
RE: HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! - 24/1/2013 9:10:25 AM   
sausage123

Thought I'd share my experience for anyone who is preparing for a hsbc phone interview as I just failed mine There was only 2questions but they wanted a lot of detail, first was about when I've helped someone, and second was to think of a time I've had to stick to a decision because it was the right thing to do, as in morally, I couldn't and still can't think of an answer as I don't think I've ever been in a situation where anyone has done something morally wrong. Sounded like the person on the phone was just reading off a piece of paper and when I couldn't think of an answer she just kept slightly rewording the question which didn't help at all! But she said that if I want to reapply to look up hsbc values cause that's what the questions are based on! Hope that helps! Also if anyone can think of what I could have said let me know :)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> HSBC telephone interview? please help!!! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI