Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 11/9/2009 6:57:49 PM   
target

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: benskelly

Well, I agree with being civil. (ahem)  But maybe he just means that saying a movie that made $461,983,149 in worldwide gross is only liked by a "minority" could be perceived as a) presumptuous b) pretentious and/or c) completely inaccurate.  I'm not as fond of Finding Nemo - doesn't change that it was a huge hit.

Pretending to what exactly, since the word has inexplicably been included there. I'd genuinely like to know.

Cash receipts are could be considered irrelevant - parents take their kids to the new Pixar, it's got bog all to do with it being any good. Ranking the Pixars in lists virtually every single list has Cars at, or just above the bottom - because, in context with their other releases, an awful lot of people do genuinely think it is utter pants. And that is a fairly random selection of people who post on here. Even my nephew thought it was tosh. He liked the Cars toys - he's never wanted to see the film again.

Me I'm different. Irrespective of the other releases, I still think it was pants. Pretty colours and graphics. Bloody awful writing.

Find an actual writer this time and don't spend all your time on the pwetty pwetty colours. Then it might be less pants.

Job solved.

It's glossy and soulless-Lucas does Pixar.

I wouldn't call it souless, i think it's got a lot of heart, people seem to forget that.

There is a lot of souless crap out there, but it aint cars.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 31
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 11/9/2009 7:55:39 PM   
benskelly

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, I agree with being civil. (ahem)  But maybe he just means that saying a movie that made $461,983,149 in worldwide gross is only liked by a "minority" could be perceived as a) presumptuous b) pretentious and/or c) completely inaccurate.  I'm not as fond of Finding Nemo - doesn't change that it was a huge hit.

Pretending to what exactly, since the word has inexplicably been included there. I'd genuinely like to know.

Cash receipts are could be considered irrelevant - parents take their kids to the new Pixar, it's got bog all to do with it being any good. Ranking the Pixars in lists virtually every single list has Cars at, or just above the bottom - because, in context with their other releases, an awful lot of people do genuinely think it is utter pants. And that is a fairly random selection of people who post on here. Even my nephew thought it was tosh. He liked the Cars toys - he's never wanted to see the film again.

Me I'm different. Irrespective of the other releases, I still think it was pants. Pretty colours and graphics. Bloody awful writing.

Find an actual writer this time and don't spend all your time on the pwetty pwetty colours. Then it might be less pants.

Job solved.

Could not disagree with you more.  I think Cars has a great story about taking responsibility for your mistakes, slowing down to enjoy life and realizing the journey is more important than winning the race.  That, to me, may be the very best theme Pixar has ever communicated.  I love the characters, they're rich and very funny.  There's tons of clever plays on the car-centric universe.  A nifty romance.  I think the writing is excellent.  Job solved.

But yes, it is also an incredibly gorgeous film, where every frame feels frameable.  I don't think I've ever seen an animated film that was so eye-popping throughout.  My top Pixar choices (below) are the ones that I feel combine great storytelling with a huge leap forward in the medium's visual vernacular.  These are visual films, all the way.  And I prefer a 'mature palette', if you will - my bottom three feel the most like "kid's films".

They're still pretty damn great, mind you.  I think the whole Pixar catalogue is amazing.

I don't understand why you're so vehement on Cars, but to each his own - our tastes differ and not everybody will agree with you on your every pronouncement.

Pronouncement? It's an opinion like the rest on this thread as opposed to talking down to someone who just happens to disagree. And the word 'pretentious'? I did express curiousity about its use as I assumed it was being used properly?

I'm 'vehement' because I thought the film was bloody awful. And a shocking drop in quality from a studio that had tried hard up till then to not subvert story to visuals. Hence my Lucas anaology - ta Dev!

You might want to add your Pixar list here though. Just in case you thought my other comment above was hyperbole.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2106569&mpage=1&key=pixar

You know what?  Surprisingly, that thread didn't change my mind about what I like and don't like.  Imagine that.  Well, I gave you plenty of opportunities to discuss specifics, but since you seem much more comfortable just repeating yourself over and over, I'll give you time for a lie-down. 

The other poster is right - and I think he explained the use of the word "pretentious" perfectly - you are just parroting a line from before the movie even opened, as most do.  The same way people unanimously praise Finding Nemo when I found it rather tepid.  The other thing I think people do is ascribe some strange political "red state" ideology to the film, which I see absolutely no evidence of whatsoever.  I am a Liberal Democrat all the way who vomited in his mouth every day of Bush's disastrous administration, but Cars has no right-wing agenda...AT ALL.  And as much as I can't stand Larry The Cable Guy as a comedian, in the context of the movie he works well.

Okay.  Go ahead and pop a blood vessel.  I'm gone. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 11/9/2009 11:00:13 PM   
elab49

Benskelly, no-one is trying to change opinions, it's a movie news thread. They're just freely expressing them. Not entirely sure what line you mean - if it is 'glossy and soulless', then I'm afraid you're wrong about where it comes from (and apologies for that - it is a bit of an in-joke based on old reviews in my sig and it would probably have been fairer to make that clear).

That said, Cars is hardly worth getting unnecessarily heated and taking pops at other posters.

Adrian - I'd be fascinated to know who told me what opinion to have of Cars. Some posters do have this odd tendency to watch films and come up with opinions all by themselves you know.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 33
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 12/9/2009 12:39:43 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: target

quote:

quote:

quote:

Job solved.

I wouldn't call it souless, i think it's got a lot of heart, people seem to forget that.

That was a reference to a signature elab once wrote. Hence qouting her. And she ignored it.

I don't like Cars, actually it's decent but compared to Pixar's toher work, it's just disappointing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to target)
Post #: 34
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 12/9/2009 12:59:47 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: target

quote:

quote:

quote:

Job solved.

That was a reference to a signature elab once wrote. Hence qouting her. And she ignored it.

I don't like Cars, actually it's decent but compared to Pixar's toher work, it's just disappointing.

That's one of the key points, I think. Cars just doesn't have the heart of other Pixar films.

I think the idea put forward by some on this thread that if we dislike the film we must only do so because of some kind of received opinion that the film is bad is pretty insulting. We can think for ourselves and are perfectly capable of judging a film without having to stop and take into account anybody else's opinion on the matter.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 35
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 12/9/2009 2:08:05 AM   
benskelly

quote:

Benskelly, no-one is trying to change opinions, it's a movie news thread. They're just freely expressing them. Not entirely sure what line you mean - if it is 'glossy and soulless', then I'm afraid you're wrong about where it comes from (and apologies for that - it is a bit of an in-joke based on old reviews in my sig and it would probably have been fairer to make that clear).

That said, Cars is hardly worth getting unnecessarily heated and taking pops at other posters. 

Why do I get singled out for "taking pops" when the other poster did the same to me, and with just as much if not more "heated" energy??  I didn't call anybody names, so what's the problem?  I was expressing MY opinion.  At least I talked specifically about what I liked and tried to debate it on some substance, not just calling it "pants" over and over.  Many posts back I tried to explain that I felt the early trailer controversy (nobody liked it, including me) and the delay of the film led to an EXPECTATION going in that Cars would suck and that IN MY OPINION colored many peoples reaction to the actual film.  I never said anyting about Empire.  Go back and read.

If you don't like the film, great.  All I'm saying is don't belittle those who do, and acknowledge people have different tastes.  The other poster justified everything he said as him being part of the "majority".  Who cares?  I would have shown him more respect if I had received it myself, simple as that.  Was he more civil?? 

And please, no movie is worth getting heated about, but as movie geeks we do anyway, every single day...

Otherwise these forums would be pretty empty.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 36
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 12/9/2009 8:52:53 AM   
crazymoviesdude

I'll make this all really simple.

Cars is a great movie.
Pixar make fantastic-amazing-awesome movies.
Whilst it beats all else, it's one of Pixar's weakest.

Anyone who says that it's worse than any Dreamworks movie, is just trying to create a fuss. (I realise no one here has said that, but it's just a for-instance)

Also, anyone who comments that Cars has less heart than any other Pixat film, is a little confused, and may have watched a different cut or a different movie entirely. If anything (and it is still one of the 'worse' Pixar movies) it has more heart than most. It is a very personal movie to John Lasseter, and he pours all that emotion into the film. It gives examples of love for your town (a kind of patriotism), it has a standard love story, and it has even a little enviromental message.

So....those are my thoughts, and yes, I'd put Cars at number 8/9 (excl. Up) Pixar films, but it is still, a great film, with a lot to love.

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 37
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 12/9/2009 10:02:46 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazymoviesdude

Also, anyone who comments that Cars has less heart than any other Pixat film, is a little confused, and may have watched a different cut or a different movie entirely. If anything (and it is still one of the 'worse' Pixar movies) it has more heart than most.

Thank you for telling myself and anyone else who thinks it's heartless and soulless that we're "confused". Because if it wasn't for you making things really simple then I would have just thought that we just had different opinions on the film to you. But thank you for setting me straight on that.

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 38
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 12/9/2009 11:52:32 AM   
elab49

I do find it rather odd - particularly for this film - how many people in this thread seem unable to accept people don't like Cars not because of a trailer reaction (I didn't see a trailer so I've no idea what the reaction was to), their political principles, the cash taken at the box office or because mummy (or inexplicably the Daily Mail) told them to. But just as that opinion was undoubtedly formed because you saw the film and liked it (at least I've not suggested you brainlessly like anything Pixar puts in front of you no matter how crap, which is pretty much near the opposite equivalent of what is being suggested here), if people didn't like the film then it is because they saw it, and didn't like the film.

If instead of discussing the positives of a film you spend all your time defining why your opponent is your opponent and only that opponent shall you acknowledge no matter how made of straw he might be, you might want to consider why you're so bothered some people just didn't like the thing.

Dev - discretion is the better part, etc etc. I've now accepted those quotes will follow me to my dying breath in this place.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 39
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 12/9/2009 12:09:30 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Why do I get singled out for "taking pops" when the other poster did the same to me, and with just as much if not more "heated" energy?? I didn't call anybody names, so what's the problem? 

Who took pops at you? I don't see anyone having aligned themselves against you for the purpose of belittling or mocking you, and I think that shows remarkable restraint when you bust out lines like -

quote:

The other poster is right - and I think he explained the use of the word "pretentious" perfectly - you are just parroting a line from before the movie even opened, as most do.

and

quote:

I don't understand why you're so vehement on Cars, but to each his own - our tastes differ and not everybody will agree with you on your every pronouncement.

The way you're belittling everyone who doesn't think Cars is OMG SO AMAZING is hypocritical at best and downright stupid at worst, and as you can see, I would not have shown the same restraint others did by addressing the film glibly and not addressing you glibly, but actually responding to your "questions".

Also, don't suggest you prefer a more "mature palette" to your Pixar films as if we're all children who can't make hand from arse. Just because you like Cars, doesn't make your taste more refined than ours.

quote:

At least I talked specifically about what I liked and tried to debate it on some substance, not just calling it "pants" over and over.

quote:

Elab gave reasons, and yes, you tried to debate them briefly in substance. But it was also that same post where you started being condescending, suggesting elab thought everyone would bow to her will and that you had a more "mature palette" that immediately made those of us who like Monsters, Inc. and Finding Nemo inferior to you.

quote:

Many posts back I tried to explain that I felt the early trailer controversy (nobody liked it, including me) and the delay of the film led to an EXPECTATION going in that Cars would suck and that IN MY OPINION colored many peoples reaction to the actual film.  I never said anyting about Empire.  Go back and read.

1. When did anyone say you said anything about Empire? To quote yourself, go back and read.

2. You honestly don't see how outright stating that we all hate Cars because we didn't like the trailer and because we went in expecting to hate it is arrogant and condescending? You honestly don't see how suggesting we have an irrational vendetta against the film is irritating and taking a pop at those who don't like it?

quote:

If you don't like the film, great.  All I'm saying is don't belittle those who do, and acknowledge people have different tastes.

Right back at ya, cowboy.

quote:

The other poster justified everything he said as him being part of the "majority".  Who cares?  I would have shown him more respect if I had received it myself, simple as that.  Was he more civil?? 

Good job, you're not trying to use box office figures to back up your argument; instead, you're treating everyone as if they're confused and useless because they don't like the film instead. At least the other guy had a point.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 40
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 12/9/2009 8:35:10 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I've now accepted those quotes will follow me to my dying breath in this place.

But I think in a good way because it is a great description of the film, and an idea for one of the most disturbing porn movies of all time.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 41
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 1:21:16 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

But I think in a good way because it is a great description of the film, and an idea for one of the most disturbing porn movies of all time.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 42
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 1:28:16 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lucas fucking a lamp.

SEXY!

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 43
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 1:31:46 AM   
FritzlFan

That's one of the few occasions where someone saying "pervy" would be warranted.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 44
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 1:43:57 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Lucas fucking a lamp.

SEXY!

Preserved so Devi doesn't alter it later to cover his arse.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 45
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 1:46:32 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

Lucas fucking a lamp.

SEXY!

Qouted to show how PA can't get irony.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 46
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 1:52:49 AM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Woody in Brokeback Mountain 2?

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to target)
Post #: 47
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 1:53:59 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lucas fucking a lamp.

SEXY!

Irony has no bearing when things can be taken out of context.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 48
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 1:57:00 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lucas fucking a lamp.

SEXY!

Irony has no bearing when things can be taken out of context.

Yeah but the word SEXY is a common joke in this forum, you poeple might use that prejudice to understand that's it a joke.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 49
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 2:02:19 AM   
Pigeon Army

Actually, the word PERVY is a common joke on this forum. That's the first time I've encountered SEXY, and I've been in quite a few threads. Besides, the ordinary definition of SEXY is very different to PERVY.

So there.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 50
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 2:06:58 AM   
Deviation

quote:

Actually, the word PERVY is a common joke on this forum. That's the first time I've encountered SEXY, and I've been in quite a few threads. Besides, the ordinary definition of SEXY is very different to PERVY.

So there.

They will still get it.  

quote:

quote:

Post #: 51
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 2:13:03 AM   
Pigeon Army

That's asking a lot.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 52
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 2:14:26 AM   
Deviation

But they will, like they will get what beauty juice means.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 53
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 5:27:16 PM   
benskelly

I apologize for my animated debate on the topic of Cars. 

I can see now that I should have been discussing relevant things like "George Lucas fucking a lamp", the differences between pervy and sexy, and covering somebody with beauty juice. 

I now understand the high standard of discussion here and how inappropriate my comments were.

< Message edited by benskelly -- 13/9/2009 5:28:10 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 54
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 6:36:29 PM   
Deviation

quote:

I apologize for my animated debate on the topic of Cars. 

I can see now that I should have been discussing relevant things like "George Lucas fucking a lamp", the differences between pervy and sexy, and covering somebody with beauty juice. 

I now understand the high standard of discussion here and how inappropriate my comments were.

I ruined this thread.

And I'm pretty sure PA and elab would still argue with you, since you didn't answer back, you coul;d.

Plus I can't be arsed about Cars, it was so disappointing I just want to forget my biggest disappointment in Pixar since A Bug's Life. Plus, making an entire themes like how important your friends (as if Sesame Street and abunch of anime don't bang about that enough) is really disappointing compared to fatherhood icons in Toy Story (Buzz and Woody), life and death (it's sequel), the enviroment and man's decline (Wall-E) or social satire (The Incredibles). Monsters Inc. had a lot of imagination to spare and Finding Nemo created a new realistic breathing world which made it's story truly mesmering.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 55
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 10:37:09 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I ruined this thread.

No you didn't. PA's and Elab's posts are still just a couple up and Benskelly could easily have responded to them and overlooked your posts, the fact that he didn't tends to show he has no real response to give. Unless he wants to pull out the brilliant reasoning he tried using against me a while back - telling me that 99% of the world disagree with me for disliking Meryl Streep.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 56
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 10:55:00 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

I ruined this thread.

No you didn't. PA's and Elab's posts are still just a couple up and Benskelly could easily have responded to them and overlooked your posts, the fact that he didn't tends to show he has no real response to give. Unless he wants to pull out the brilliant reasoning he tried using against me a while back - telling me that 99% of the world disagree with me for disliking Meryl Streep.

Surely not everybody in the world like Meryl Streep? I don't mind her (the word is indifference to any performance she does) but surely someone, elab aside, might dislike her as much as you do?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 57
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 11:05:32 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I ruined this thread.

Surely not everybody in the world like Meryl Streep?

Not everyone, just 99% of the world. 

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 58
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 11:08:14 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I ruined this thread.

And 0.55% is indifferent and 0.45% hates her?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 59
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 13/9/2009 11:09:46 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I ruined this thread.

And 0.55% is indifferent and 0.45% hates her?

I guess so. I think the official statistics were taken from madeupnumbersIjustpulledoutofmyarsetotryandwinadebate.com

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI