Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 10/9/2009 1:43:12 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 10/9/2009 1:43:12 PM   
nclowe

eh... *shrugs* Wasn't actually a fan of Cars so the sequel doesn't do much for me.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 10/9/2009 1:47:14 PM   
crazymoviesdude

Well, sounds like an awful lot to cram in, even if it is nearly 2 hours like the first. Any new information is always a reason to rejoice, and I'm still super-psyched for another Pixar movie.

Post #: 3
Silly Pixar - 10/9/2009 2:10:11 PM   
Ethanial

Sounds as bad as you can expect from a sequel to one of their worst flicks.

Oh well. Toy Story 3 FTW!

Post #: 4
- 10/9/2009 2:19:46 PM   
skeletonjack

Could this be Pixar's first big mistake?
The Cars Short that played recently ("Tokyo Mater") was dreadful, and lets face it, the character of Mater is probably Pixars worst. I was amazed when I heard a sequel was being made (despite actually enjoying Cars), and this news doesn't really do anything other than hit home what a bad idea this seems.

Post #: 5
RE: - 10/9/2009 2:26:14 PM   
Pigeon Army

An Aston Martin named Finn McMissile who acts like a British secret agent => me interested.

Mater involved in a storyline with said Aston Martin => me not interested.

The idea that anyone at Pixar finds Larry the Cable Guy to be anything more than an excruciatingly unfunny human being => me silently weeping.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 6
Meh.... - 10/9/2009 3:03:10 PM   
Blyman

Seems weird that the one Pixar film that was never a 'must see' film gets a sequel. That said it's the only Pixar film I haven't seen so I can't really talk. Toy Story 2, The Incredibles (where's the sequel here eh) and Ratatouille are my favourites.

Post #: 7
What's with... - 10/9/2009 3:03:27 PM   
RogueElement

...the hanging asterisk?

Post #: 8
- 10/9/2009 3:19:30 PM   
evildave69

Altough still superior to most other studios' CG output, Cars is still the weakest of the Pixar bunch and the therefore the one that least deserves a sequel. The idea of talking cars has been done to death and the rather soft moralising of the first film is not something which needs repeating. Still, if there's one studio who can improve on the original, it's got to be Pixar. I just don't think it's worth it.

Post #: 9
Hmm - 10/9/2009 3:54:39 PM   
The Tingler

Yeah, I'm in a agreement with everyone else here. Cars wasn't bad, but was overlong and nowhere near deserving of all the gushing it gets from John Lasseter.

As for Finn McMissile, they've just done Timothy Dalton so he's out. I insist on George Lazenby.

Post #: 10
Bad move - 10/9/2009 4:57:11 PM   
S1lent B0b

From a studio that that has only ever done one sequel I'm suprised that they decided their next move to do a sequel to one of their biggest mistakes make Monsters Inc. 2 instead of this scrap metal.

Post #: 11
If It's Gonna Be A Bond... - 10/9/2009 4:58:36 PM   
chizmund

It'll be Brosnan. First time since, well, Cars really, that I'm not excited about an upcoming Pixar movie. But maybe with a new director, it might have something more. No disrespect to Lasseter, but he just seemed to love the world of Cars far more than I ever could.

Post #: 12
A Cars fan writes - 10/9/2009 5:52:30 PM   
Adrian

Yep.. i'm actually looking forward to this. and those of you who didn't like Cars. get over yourselves. Kids like cars and those of us who like cars like Cars.

Also, agreed that Brosnan's most likely for hte Bond (though I wouldn't discount Moore or Dalton)

My guess for the Queen is Rolls Royce Silver Ghost.

Post #: 13
Thank heavens! - 10/9/2009 6:48:58 PM   
geekgirl23

For those of us with small people obsessed by Cars, the news of a sequel is more than welcome. Just wish it would come out before 2011. Still, I'll have a chance to watch the first one another couple of thousand times before the sequel is out.

Post #: 14
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 10/9/2009 7:14:36 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Give Mader a whole movie thereafter!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

Post #: 15
Uhm, Disagree With Everybody - 10/9/2009 7:56:40 PM   
benskelly

Monsters, Inc and Finding Nemo are my least favorite Pixars - they're just too "kiddie-ish" for my tastes. I think Cars is fantastic fun with a great message and is truly one of the most beautiful LOOKING films they have ever done. I just don't get the conventional wisdom "disappointment" with this film, I really don't. It kinda' mystifies me. I think it started when the first trailer was not well-received and then the movie was delayed - in my opinion that was when this thing started and everyone has just been saying the same line ever since. Meanwhile, I watched it again the other day and I love it. Oh well.

We can all agree, at least, that Pixar has an unprecedented record of success and quality and...well, go Pixar.

< Message edited by benskelly -- 10/9/2009 7:57:52 PM >

Post #: 16
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 10/9/2009 8:03:26 PM   
evildave69

quote:

those of you who didn't like Cars. get over yourselves.

Good work Adrian, of course you're right. The people who don't like Cars (erm, the majority I think), don't like it because they think they are better than it. Is that what you're suggesting?
Now fair enough if you like it, that's perfectly fine by me but I don't think any of the 'dislikers' here are going to start assuming that you're a self-important tit just because you're in the minority of people who like it. Of course everyone is welcome to their own opinion but don't go telling people to get over themselves when there's no evidence whatsoever that they were ever under themselves.

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 17
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 10/9/2009 8:34:42 PM   
benskelly

quote:

ORIGINAL: evildave69

quote:

Good work Adrian, of course you're right. The people who don't like Cars (erm, the majority I think), don't like it because they think they are better than it. Is that what you're suggesting?
Now fair enough if you like it, that's perfectly fine by me but I don't think any of the 'dislikers' here are going to start assuming that you're a self-important tit just because you're in the minority of people who like it. Of course everyone is welcome to their own opinion but don't go telling people to get over themselves when there's no evidence whatsoever that they were ever under themselves.

Well, I agree with being civil. (ahem)  But maybe he just means that saying a movie that made $461,983,149 in worldwide gross is only liked by a "minority" could be perceived as a) presumptuous b) pretentious and/or c) completely inaccurate.  I'm not as fond of Finding Nemo - doesn't change that it was a huge hit.

< Message edited by benskelly -- 10/9/2009 8:35:45 PM >

(in reply to evildave69)
Post #: 18
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 10/9/2009 9:08:35 PM   
JIm R

Should spend the time and investment on Cars 2 on an Incredibles sequel, but heh ho

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 19
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 10/9/2009 9:24:50 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: benskelly

Well, I agree with being civil. (ahem)  But maybe he just means that saying a movie that made $461,983,149 in worldwide gross is only liked by a "minority" could be perceived as a) presumptuous b) pretentious and/or c) completely inaccurate.  I'm not as fond of Finding Nemo - doesn't change that it was a huge hit.

Pretending to what exactly, since the word has inexplicably been included there. I'd genuinely like to know.

Cash receipts are could be considered irrelevant - parents take their kids to the new Pixar, it's got bog all to do with it being any good. Ranking the Pixars in lists virtually every single list has Cars at, or just above the bottom - because, in context with their other releases, an awful lot of people do genuinely think it is utter pants. And that is a fairly random selection of people who post on here. Even my nephew thought it was tosh. He liked the Cars toys - he's never wanted to see the film again.

Me I'm different. Irrespective of the other releases, I still think it was pants. Pretty colours and graphics. Bloody awful writing.

Find an actual writer this time and don't spend all your time on the pwetty pwetty colours. Then it might be less pants.

Job solved.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 20
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 10/9/2009 9:31:07 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Pretending to what exactly, since the word has inexplicably been included there. I'd genuinely like to know.

Cash receipts are could be considered irrelevant - parents take their kids to the new Pixar, it's got bog all to do with it being any good. Ranking the Pixars in lists virtually every single list has Cars at, or just above the bottom - because, in context with their other releases, an awful lot of people do genuinely think it is utter pants. And that is a fairly random selection of people who post on here. Even my nephew thought it was tosh. He liked the Cars toys - he's never wanted to see the film again.

Me I'm different. Irrespective of the other releases, I still think it was pants. Pretty colours and graphics. Bloody awful writing.

Find an actual writer this time and don't spend all your time on the pwetty pwetty colours. Then it might be less pants.

Job solved.

It's glossy and soulless-Lucas does Pixar.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 11/9/2009 1:51:30 AM   
benskelly

quote:

quote:

Job solved.

Could not disagree with you more.  I think Cars has a great story about taking responsibility for your mistakes, slowing down to enjoy life and realizing the journey is more important than winning the race.  That, to me, may be the very best theme Pixar has ever communicated.  I love the characters, they're rich and very funny.  There's tons of clever plays on the car-centric universe.  A nifty romance.  I think the writing is excellent.  Job solved.

But yes, it is also an incredibly gorgeous film, where every frame feels frameable.  I don't think I've ever seen an animated film that was so eye-popping throughout.  My top Pixar choices (below) are the ones that I feel combine great storytelling with a huge leap forward in the medium's visual vernacular.  These are visual films, all the way.  And I prefer a 'mature palette', if you will - my bottom three feel the most like "kid's films".

They're still pretty damn great, mind you.  I think the whole Pixar catalogue is amazing.

I don't understand why you're so vehement on Cars, but to each his own - our tastes differ and not everybody will agree with you on your every pronouncement.

My Pixar List - FYI:
The Incredibles
Toy Story
Wall-E
Cars
Ratatouille
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Up
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo

< Message edited by benskelly -- 11/9/2009 1:52:58 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
Hollywood, UK - 11/9/2009 3:35:27 AM   
GFT

Regardless of ephemeral "quibbles" about plot and actors and voices in a movie that will only be “in release” for six weeks anyway. The idea to merge US and UK Cinema is absolutely genius of vision; both economies are struggling. Disney is a forerunner in acknowledging the entertainment industry as merely being cog in the wheel of an overall global economy.
The United States and all of its resources can no longer remain a completely insular nation.

DISNEY under the direction of John Lasseter has made a first-step in concrete globalization of talent and economic resources regarding the entertainment industry.

Post #: 23
RE: Hollywood, UK - 11/9/2009 10:19:24 AM   
David Somerset

Cars Schmars. Bring on The Incredibles 2!

(in reply to GFT)
Post #: 24
RE: RE: - 11/9/2009 12:24:39 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

The idea that anyone at Pixar finds Larry the Cable Guy to be anything more than an excruciatingly unfunny human being => me silently weeping.

Isn't it more a case of knowing he's popular and sells to a certain audience than anyone at Pixar finding him funny? Although why anyone in the audience would find him funny is beyond me. It still amazes me that people from the South don't get incredibly offended by the ridiculous Southern stereotype created by a man born and raised in Nebraska.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 25
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 11/9/2009 1:16:26 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

Job solved.

Could not disagree with you more.  I think Cars has a great story about taking responsibility for your mistakes, slowing down to enjoy life and realizing the journey is more important than winning the race.  That, to me, may be the very best theme Pixar has ever communicated.  I love the characters, they're rich and very funny.  There's tons of clever plays on the car-centric universe.  A nifty romance.  I think the writing is excellent.  Job solved.

But yes, it is also an incredibly gorgeous film, where every frame feels frameable.  I don't think I've ever seen an animated film that was so eye-popping throughout.  My top Pixar choices (below) are the ones that I feel combine great storytelling with a huge leap forward in the medium's visual vernacular.  These are visual films, all the way.  And I prefer a 'mature palette', if you will - my bottom three feel the most like "kid's films".

They're still pretty damn great, mind you.  I think the whole Pixar catalogue is amazing.

I don't understand why you're so vehement on Cars, but to each his own - our tastes differ and not everybody will agree with you on your every pronouncement.

Pronouncement? It's an opinion like the rest on this thread as opposed to talking down to someone who just happens to disagree. And the word 'pretentious'? I did express curiousity about its use as I assumed it was being used properly?

I'm 'vehement' because I thought the film was bloody awful. And a shocking drop in quality from a studio that had tried hard up till then to not subvert story to visuals. Hence my Lucas anaology - ta Dev!

You might want to add your Pixar list here though. Just in case you thought my other comment above was hyperbole.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2106569&mpage=1&key=pixar

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 26
RE: RE: - 11/9/2009 1:21:46 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Isn't it more a case of knowing he's popular and sells to a certain audience than anyone at Pixar finding him funny? Although why anyone in the audience would find him funny is beyond me. It still amazes me that people from the South don't get incredibly offended by the ridiculous Southern stereotype created by a man born and raised in Nebraska.

I'd like to think Pixar had a bit more integrity than that, but there are only two explanations for the short films involved that douchebag tow truck and the intent to expand him into more than a bit player here, and that's one and liking Larry the Cable Fuck is the other. Either way, it doesn't inspire much hope in me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27
RE: RE: - 11/9/2009 1:31:02 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

I'd like to think Pixar had a bit more integrity than that, but there are only two explanations for the short films involved that douchebag tow truck and the intent to expand him into more than a bit player here, and that's one and liking Larry the Cable Fuck is the other. Either way, it doesn't inspire much hope in me.

I tend to agree, although I'm not sure if Larry the Cable Guy is the racist, homophobic idiot he seems to be or if he's just cashing in on a rather disturbing audience demand for that sort of material and the man behind the character doesn't mean any of what he says. Still doesn't change my belief that he's one of the least funny comedians around at the moment, possibly ever.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 28
RE: RE: - 11/9/2009 1:52:48 PM   
JagLover

I liked Cars but thought it was the weakest Pixar film since "a bug's life".

If they want to make a sequel to one of their films why not "the incredibles"?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29
RE: Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed - 11/9/2009 3:54:49 PM   
Adrian

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: evildave69

quote:

What I meant was that a few magazines (yes Empire was one) said they felt Cars was slightly weaker a story than Pixar's offerings before hand. They liked it, just didnt feel it broke any new ground like most stuff before it from Pixar had. But a lot of people seemed to take it as meaning Cars is shit and then just parrot this mis-read opinion and seek reason to agree with it.

Though I don't blame people for it.. it's what we're programmed to do by our country's education system... to just agree with what we're told. to parrot what we're told by our teachers and we pass the exams. We arent encouraged to have our own opinions or to challenge those in positions above our own.

I'm sure there's a reasonable number who did genuinely just not think much of it... Daily mail readers and environmentalists and the like. But those who chose to take a dislike to the film because they thought they were told to... they are pretentious and need to get over themselves.

as do those who didnt like it because it wasnt artsy enough. because its humour was obvious and not subtly written in unless you know cars. (tho for some reason, the one bit that always get a slight chuckle from me is when McQueen assumes Sally fell in love with a Corvette. no clue why, it just tickles me).

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cars 2 Plot Details Revealed Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI