Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Anit-Climax

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Anit-Climax Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anit-Climax - 15/5/2007 7:35:52 AM   
ross_thomson2000

What a disappointing end to a fantastic trilogy, so much was promised by this last chapter but it is not nearly as good as The Two Towers or The Fellowship of the Ring. Helm's Deep was such a better fight than Pelennor Fields. Also i would like to point out what the hell was the point of so many people dieing including the legend that is Boromir when Aragorn could have just gotten the army of the dead to do it for them. What a stupid ending. That said i know that it wasn't Peter Jacksons fault Tolkien was such a crazy bastard. Three stars given for the effects, acting and action - the story is disappointing at best.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
- 29/5/2007 3:24:48 PM   
willchadwick

It's fantastic film a superb piece of stunning eye candy. A landmark film that clearly expresses talent in every area of it's profession. It works on level that no other film has done before. What disappoints me about Empire with this review is that you have claimed many films to be far too long, Pirates 2, Pirates 3 etc. But how can you not say that about this film with a running time of 3 hours 21 minutes!

Post #: 32
RE: - 11/8/2007 8:48:22 PM   
Marty5

Far too long and sam and frodos relationship was questionable . Still a very good end to a good trilogy .

No 1 film
Empire strikes back

(in reply to willchadwick)
Post #: 33
Greatest. Movie. Ever. - 13/8/2007 10:09:32 AM   
Pinguman

Simply the best movie of all time-with no competition. Peter Jackson has now made a fantasy that will have even Disney shaking in their boots, with brilliant battle scenes, amazing special effects, and a successful adaption of the book while coming up loyal to the book. An amazing tearjerking epic tale that makes every scene an experience.

Post #: 34
RE: Greatest. Movie. Ever. - 13/8/2007 9:52:52 PM   
marky_77

i much prefer the other 2 to this one...

will you commit to this programme?

(in reply to Pinguman)
Post #: 35
- 15/8/2007 9:55:03 AM   
Big Alex

Epic, adventurous, beautifull. The Return of the King is the icing on the cake for any last film in a trilogy. And has lived past it's expectation's and HAS taken it's place in epic movie's. Better and bolder than the 1st and 2nd and more emotional.

This is the epic all fan's have been waiting for, delivering intence and gigantic battles and oscar award winning acting. The best ever.

Post #: 36
RE: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 31/8/2007 4:40:57 PM   
shool

Sublime, moving and IMO the best of the three LOTR films.

One of my favourite films.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 37
RE: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 2/9/2007 12:04:16 PM   
Seth_Gecko

Absolutley amazing blew my mind when i first watched it still does now i dont think theres many films that can top it .

< Message edited by Highcontrast -- 2/9/2007 12:05:18 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 2/9/2007 9:38:07 PM   
Sphinx

If the the lighting of the beacons doesn't get to you then frankly you don't have a pulse - It's absolutely awe-inspiring!!!

Plus it has one of most passionate Screen kisses in cinema, (DAMN THAT LIV TYLER!!)

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to Seth_Gecko)
Post #: 39
- 24/10/2007 11:27:09 PM   
bobbyperu

this was my least faverite at the cimema as there were so many holes in the script. special edition answers the lot so now its my favurite (se that is)

Post #: 40
- 24/10/2007 11:27:10 PM   
bobbyperu

this was my least faverite at the cimema as there were so many holes in the script. special edition answers the lot so now its my favurite (se that is)

Post #: 41
BEST OF THEM ALL and i dont care what any one else thinks. - 27/6/2008 3:58:20 PM   
JohnPaul1996

One of my fav movies.Its weird it won 11 oscars though.AMAZING film.

Post #: 42
THE BEST OF THE BUNCH - 21/12/2008 3:42:55 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

Where do I begin? Oh god I really don't know. It's simply one the best movies ever.

Post #: 43
The Climax Of The Century - 10/3/2009 12:57:34 AM   
cinerator

In most cases, a trilogy has lost its spark by the third instalment (The Godfather is a prime example) but Return Of The King exceeds the first two. Visually stunning and at a dynamite pace, Peter Jackson was paid his dues for a film series that is to be revered.

Post #: 44
The Climax Of The Century - 10/3/2009 12:57:36 AM   
cinerator

In most cases, a trilogy has lost its spark by the third instalment (The Godfather is a prime example) but Return Of The King exceeds the first two. Visually stunning and at a dynamite pace, Peter Jackson was paid his dues for a film series that is to be revered.

Post #: 45
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 31/3/2009 1:58:03 PM   
Jamiecurthagin17

I think that the Lord of the Rings is the greatest movie triligy of all time and should be in every movie lovers collection. Return of the King does not dissapoint on action, plot and characters. The most impressive character being Smegal/Gollum played by Andy Serkis. This film would 100% deserve a 5 star review but it is just tooooooo long and alot of people loose interest after the Minas Tirith scene where Aragon becomes King. The screen goes black and everyone in the cinema got up thinking that the movie had ended. Which was funny to witness.
3hours and 21 minutes in my opinion is just too long for a movie, this is its only downfall.

Post #: 46
- 29/7/2009 11:00:00 PM   
kris9209

amazing

Post #: 47
- 29/7/2009 11:00:03 PM   
kris9209

amazing

Post #: 48
FORGET THIS ! GET THE EXTENDED EDITION NOW ! - 14/3/2010 11:41:30 AM   
spartan24

THE EXEDENDED EDITION IS 1 HOUR AND 25 MIN LONGER AND IT TIGHS UP ALL THE LOOSE ENDS ASWELL !

Post #: 49
Who am I Gamling? - 1/10/2010 4:31:10 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: RLHaylor
Critics of the film should just keep quiet and appreciate the hard work that went into these films

Right, so we shouldn't bother with reviews then?

quote:

ORIGINAL: shitmovie
Very emotional and great. I thimk the best scene was the speach at the black gates given by aragorn.

I thought Aragorn's speech was a little underwhelming. Perhaps Viggo Mortensen doesn't have the sort of voice to rouse and rally his fellow man to battle. He is an introverted character and that suited his portrayal of Aragorn the ranger. On the other hand it may have been the actual content of the speech. When I first saw the preview for it on the extended cut DVDs. I really liked the "This day..we fight!" dialogue. In the theatrical cut/extended cut there's more in between that line and it doesn't come off so well. Conversely I thought King Theoden's speech to the Rohirrim was striking and earth-moving. What a stunning speech and how could you not feel like charging against the orcs with him after hearing it? Bernard Hill did a tremendous job portraying the bruised but stout and heroic Theoden. His performance was excellent as he's sombre about the fact that it was Aragorn who kept it all together during the battle of Helm's Deep. However, later on he becomes the true hero of the film and rallies his men to do the near impossible.

Overall, I much prefer the first film. It just captures more of Middle-Earth and feels like a rounded film. I think the second cameo by Mr. Jackson can be forgiven. I still quite like the third film.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 1/10/2010 4:33:56 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to DrachirFilm)
Post #: 50
RE: Who am I Gamling? - 2/10/2010 6:48:37 PM   
darth silas

Shite.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 51
RE: Who am I Gamling? - 2/10/2010 9:26:32 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Why do you think it's dire Darth Silas?

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 52
RE: Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 3/10/2010 11:28:15 AM   
drystyx

You know what I hate about this movie?

It ends. I know it has to end, but this trilogy is just too awesome for words. I don't ever want this film to end. I really don't think I could ever get tired of watching it over and over. I have to pull myself away.

And yes, I think of the trilogy as one film, but that's a minor point. If I began to write about all the great things of this film, or any part of the trilogy, I would be awake for three days at least. How I envy those who got to be a part of this great spectacle!

Post #: 53
RE: The end to the Greatest movie trilogy in history an... - 3/10/2010 11:58:50 AM   
Giant Green Rabbit

I thought ROTK was the weakest of the trilogy by some distance. Its been a decade since I read them but I remember feeling the same way about the books; the first was the best, the second was good, the third was OK. I think however the problems with the third act as such, are exacerbated in the cinematic adaptation.

For me FOTR works so well because the story is well written, the characters given space to breathe, the tension allowed time to develop. This means that when the punches come, they have some weight behind them; when the wraiths attack the hobbits at the watchtower, Moria, the final battle; all these are preceded by character development, a sense of foreboding. ROTK is too grandiose, especially with respect to the Aragorn/Theoden/Gandalf thread. The music is too grand too often, the visuals too keen to ape what's come before it, the events too supposedly important...and without the contrast of more intimate encounters, the big events lose their ability to attract attention, let alone their power and awe. I have to confess I've never sat through the extended cut fully; I tried a couple of times but got bored on both occasions; for me the quieter intimate moments come as a relief, but there isn't enough of that. Nor is there enough time and space to build tension.

You could argue that's the nature of the book; the characters in that particular thread are increasingly swamped by the sheer scale of the storyline, but whereas even TTT managed to hold the personal stories together and build tension very well towards Helm's Deep, the writers struggled to achieve the same with ROTK. Perhaps greater narrative adaptation was required and some of the events in the book should have simply been ignored. I agree with whoever said they were disappointed with the simplicity of someone like Denethor; characters such as he can make the tale more interesting, but he doesn't have the screen-time or the space (with so much else going on) to be written as much more than a cardboard cut-out. The end result is a film that feels emotionally by-numbers: When a scene is meant to be emotional, how do we know; because the music is so grand, the visuals cut dramatically....but the substance isn't there. so its reduced to the worst kind of melodrama.

Other problems are inherent to the book; Gandalf the White for example just isn't anywhere near as compelling a character as his former Grey self, Aragorn is less interesting the more certain he is of his role. Having seen the film twice I genuinely can't remember what happens to Legolas, Gimli, Merry and Pippin, except for recalling them used for 'humour', which isn't something PJ necessarily excels at - again they are swamped by events as much as they are in the book.

So far from being a classic, in my eyes ROTK is a very flawed film; weaker I'd suggest than ROTJ in relation to the rest of the original Star Wars trilogy. If I wanted to watch any of the LOTR films again it would be the first, that sucks you in and builds its strands patiently and meticulously, so when the spectacle arrives, it's backed up by substance. Few films are as big as ROTK whilst feeling as empty.

< Message edited by Giant Green Rabbit -- 3/10/2010 11:59:38 AM >

Once there was a little bunny who had a little furry tail and a little shiny nose. But the electrodeath cloud of commerce strangled it and its foxhole was converted to a parking lot, a parking lot, a parking lot. Ample parking asphalted over bunny bones. Everyone everyone get in.

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 54
RE: The end to the Greatest movie trilogy in history an... - 3/10/2010 1:00:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

Actully, I would say that the film is tied together by the experiences of the Hobbits in ROTK. You have the central thread of Sam and Frodos journey - but much of the rest of the film is through the eyes of Merry and Pippin. The Two Towers was much more focused on the story of the Aragon and Co, but here the Hobbits really take centre stage.

So many wonderful moments in this film, we are almost spolied. The Pippin singing as Faramir charges, his talk with Gandalf about death, Merry having to let Pippin go - yes there is a HUGE scale to the final film, but there are so many little character moments threaded throughout, which elevates the material above normal action fare.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Giant Green Rabbit)
Post #: 55
RE: The end to the Greatest movie trilogy in history an... - 3/12/2010 1:19:50 PM   
gullibal

i was disappointed. A film of many endings, certainly but Jackson's conclusion is fatally flawed by its departure from Tolkien. Rgirvan4413:00, 03 October 2010 rightly notes the centrality of the experience of the hobbits but the elision of the 'scouring of the shire' robs the saga of its essential denouement. The transformation of the young hobbits, the soldier's return - is the homecoming scene, the righting of wrongs, it's Odysseus in the wedding party. It returns us to where we began, in Hobbiton, and humanises the grandiosity of Gondor and the affairs of men [and Jackson's frequent lapses into pomposity], takes us back from the lives of kings, to the simplest of things, to the courage of normal people, the halflings, the triumph of decency, the discovery of strengths even in the sweep of desolation, that puts before the reader the very complex of loss and death and corruption in war, and the possibility of healing and new growth. I've always thought Tolkein's work an extended travail through the horrors of the second world war, but there's also a metronomic rhythm to the plot structure that Jackson fairly faithfully follows throughout the trilogy and then abandons here. Fatally flawed

Post #: 56
Epic Ending to the series - 30/7/2011 12:12:24 PM   
trainedasninja

Return of the Kings is breathtaking and exciting fantasy entertainment, you couldnt ask for a better ending to a great series of films. I think some people unfairly criticise the later two Lord of the rings, I think they are all just as brilliant as each other. It is an ending which achieves the emotional and climatic scale deserved. To be honest if you dont like watching the ending ending of the hobbits returning to the Shire you can always press skip on your DVD. However that doesnt make it unneeded in terms of telling the story, it is quite important.

Post #: 57
Don't Bother with the films - 10/2/2012 6:14:12 PM   
stp123192

Try and Read the books I will!

Post #: 58
The first one was enough! - 10/2/2012 6:15:24 PM   
stp123192

says it all to add to my earlier comment

Post #: 59
- 10/6/2012 4:05:15 AM   
Gears of Kong

The action scenes are brilliant, rohan charge is one of the greatest war charges to ever grace the screen, Sean Astin, Ian Mckellen, Andy Serkis, John Rhys Davies and Bernard Hill are all amazing in the film. To be honest I wish they had more endings because i really wanted to know what happened to characters like Legolas and Gimli.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Anit-Climax Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI