Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Julie & Julia - 9/9/2009 1:42:55 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Awful - 9/9/2009 1:42:55 PM   
AboyNamedSue

It was like Ready Steady Cook for two hours. What was the point in that ending as well!? C'mon, Angie!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 13/9/2009 2:10:45 AM   
xmagic_dustx

Fantastic!

Post #: 3
RE: Julie & Julia - 15/9/2009 2:12:25 PM   
Jasper_29

The amazing thing about Meryl is that she can be believable is many different parts, but that doesn't make each believable performance amazing or Oscar worthy.

Haven't seen this one yet, though.

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

Post #: 4
Enjoyable - 24/9/2009 10:24:33 PM   
Davechoc

A perfectly entertaining way to spend a couple of hours - Amy Adams is as likeable as ever and Meryl Streep doesn't put a foot wrong as the uniquely-voiced Child. It's not Oscar material really though; Meryl's great but she's not really given that much to do - a moment when she expresses upset at not having children shows how good Streep is even at the smallest moments, but it's a rare note of variation in a character (though not a performance) which is pretty one-note smiley throughout.

I'd have liked to see more of how Julia Child actually got into television, and the film does feel a tad overlong given the relative lightness of actual plot, but these are minor quibbles.

There is one odd point towards the end of the film however, which I couldn't fathom why it had been left in. Julie finds out that Julia is not a big fan of her blog, apparently thinking it doesn't show enough 'respect'. Perhaps this is true to life, but then I imagine a few other elements were left out too in the transition to film, as often in these cases, and leaving this bit in (especially since there isn't any last minute clarification or resolution) does colour the audience's opinion of Julia Child somewhat, and inevitably their retrospective view of Streep's portrayal, which is otherwise sunny and immensely likeable throughout.

Post #: 5
- 11/10/2009 11:47:28 PM   
tiger_lily

c'était fantastique!!! meryl was funny, enchanting and unrecognisable. She really encapsulates the person she is portraying. loved every minute of this film and it actually made me want to cook, a first believe me!

Post #: 6
Enjoyable But A Little OverLong. - 12/4/2010 5:13:17 PM   
joanna likes films

Julie And Julia will make you hungry, fact. The food is tempting, I advise anyone who is going to watch it better have a full stomach. It's filmed quite beautifully, stunning pefomances from Meryl Streep and Amy Adams and is a enjoyable film. But maybe it's just me or I thought it was a little too overlong and chatty, some scenes dragged and wasn't instanly won over the characters until much later on. Apart from that, it's one to check out.

Post #: 7
Enjoyable But A Little OverLong. - 12/4/2010 5:13:18 PM   
joanna likes films

Julie And Julia will make you hungry, fact. The food is tempting, I advise anyone who is going to watch it better have a full stomach. It's filmed quite beautifully, stunning pefomances from Meryl Streep and Amy Adams and is a enjoyable film. But maybe it's just me or I thought it was a little too overlong and chatty, some scenes dragged and wasn't instanly won over the characters until much later on. Apart from that, it's one to check out.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Julie & Julia Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI