Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Keep the mystery revisited

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Keep the mystery revisited Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Keep the mystery revisited - 9/9/2009 2:28:31 PM   
jem0013

And make him have a chin that could crack Rourkes nuts!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
RE: Keep the mystery revisited - 9/9/2009 3:01:19 PM   
waltham1979

I'm going to suggest Nathan Fillion...simply because I haven't suggested him for a film in a while and he should be in everything!!

Oh and Garland on board fills me fairly meh. Sunshine was spectacular...The Beach, yea not so much.

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to jem0013)
Post #: 32
Brandon Routh - 9/9/2009 3:22:24 PM   
CUrraNT

Nuff' said!

Post #: 33
Ron Pearlman! - 9/9/2009 3:43:42 PM   
markshepherd

end of

Post #: 34
Rules - 9/9/2009 3:52:24 PM   
nybras

we need rules for this. Never EVER remove the Judge's Helmet, never done in the comic so abide by the rules "dude".
Loved the comic, always have and always will and bonus for the film would be Judge Death...
I hope this could work!!!

Post #: 35
Double agreement. - 9/9/2009 4:09:24 PM   
The Tingler

Ron Perlman or Mickey Rourke. If I had to choose one, I'd put my vote next to The Perl.

On the other hand, maybe it'd be good to think up some actors who haven't already done several comic-book movies.

Post #: 36
- 9/9/2009 4:32:48 PM   
bagrot1

DON'T cast a known acte because they WILL want to show their face. An uknown won't worry so much and more importantly won't have the clout to make them reveal his face. Imagine if Robocop had had a huge star.

Post #: 37
- 9/9/2009 4:48:52 PM   
Dr Manhattan

If the mask was never removed in V For Vendetta, the EXACT same thing should happen in Judge Dredd. Nono to mask removal

Post #: 38
Shame they can't bring more 2000AD to silver screen - 9/9/2009 5:06:26 PM   
Greagoir

It'd be great to give The Judge another bite at the apple but, has to be said, there are far more interesting characters in the 2000AD unvierse like the ABC warriors or more inportantly Sláine!... If your in any doubt about Sláine check out this pretty amazing fan trailer for the epic graphic novel 'The Horned God'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRIPAsbhZpM

Post #: 39
STALLONE Not STATHAM - 9/9/2009 5:59:04 PM   
drich90215

I'm a Life long Die Hard Dredd Fan, I know the character inside and out, and we all know that the one perfect person to play Dredd was always Clint Eastwood- but lets face it he's just too old.
Mickey Rourke and Ron Perlman are the obvious choices that everyone comes out with these days and Yeah I can see That too. Is there anyone out there who can replace what Clint would have made of the role Though I dunno. I Hated Stallone in that Last Film But Something In me is Saying -Give Him Another Chance. Am I Nuts?

Post #: 40
- 9/9/2009 6:37:21 PM   
Director

i am kinda excited hopefully it'll be the brit flick we want badly

and i say we get ron pearlman.

Post #: 41
Manhatten Law - 9/9/2009 7:55:59 PM   
MaxRenn

Nothing wrong with having an unknown actor play the part (lets not forget Claude Rains only showed his face in the last few seconds of the Invisible Man...also plenty of good actors have played the Phantom of the Opera)...and surround Dredd with well known faces. So really, Dredd could be played by anyone...known or unknown...but for me there is only one person who could carry off that part...Woody Allen...the sardonic quips would be deadly...if slightly Jewish. :)

Post #: 42
RICHARD BURGI !!! - 9/9/2009 8:06:55 PM   
drich90215

Richard Burgi Plays Terri Hatcher's Ex in Desperate Housewives and Ever since I saw him in the first season of 24 I thought that he looked Very Dredd like. He's not an obvious choice but I think He's a good one. Look at a photo of the guy on Google and tell me I'm wrong!
While I'm At it - Damian Lewis from Band of Brothers for Johnny Alpha!!

Post #: 43
multi-post mayhem pt.1 - 9/9/2009 8:59:12 PM   
Dr Science

Someone else suggested this in an old blog and I thought it was inspired - John C McGinley for Dredd!! - hard as nails and mean as a bag of mutant scorpions

Post #: 44
multi-post mayhem pt.2 - 9/9/2009 9:03:12 PM   
Dr Science

Alex garland is a lucky fucker - but I'm not convinved that he's a great choice - nothing that he's written before has demotnstrated an ability to write bad-ass or balls-out action, and he's not really delivered any decent satire either. Why give the job to someone who'e never written a Dredd story when there must be at least a hundred 2000ad writers with first-hand experience. At least get him a co-writer.

Post #: 45
multi-post mayhem pt.3 - 9/9/2009 9:07:04 PM   
Dr Science

I'd love to see either Chopper story or PJ Maybe as the antagonists - if they go with a story that paints Dredd as a black and white hero then they'll miss the point - it needs to be ambiguous - the audience shouldn't be sure whether they're supposed to be cheering for Dredd. I reckon they'll play it safe and classic and go for some variation on the Block Wars plot.

Post #: 46
multi-post mayhem pt.4 - 9/9/2009 9:09:14 PM   
Dr Science

I hope they don't go straight to Judge Death and Judge Anderson - they need to have the franchise established before they introduce that storyline

Post #: 47
RE: multi-post mayhem pt.4 - 9/9/2009 9:37:59 PM   
jermreen

I really really hope this goes through and done correctly. With Alex Garland it just might. Dont like the idea of John C.Mckinley as Dredd though, I find him way too annoying, although he does have the physical look to play the part. I always wanted Clint Eastwood or R. Lee Emery to play the part. Thay are both pretty old now but so is Dredd. I think he is in 50's or 60's by this stage.

(in reply to Dr Science)
Post #: 48
Am I the only one........ - 9/9/2009 10:15:42 PM   
tetchy

.......who sees Dougray Scott playing Judge Dredd?

Post #: 49
It could reallt work... - 9/9/2009 10:22:27 PM   
Hugo Agogo

Strip away the Sci-Fi element of the last movie had at it’s basic core is a very similar story to “Gladiator”. One became a classic, the other – well. It’s hard to imagine you could start with such elements and end up with such a very mediocre sci-fi. A good reboot could really work. “The Dead Man / Necropolis” or “Machanismo / Doomsday” . So many options....

Post #: 50
RE: multi-post mayhem pt.4 - 9/9/2009 10:25:53 PM   
Rich Empire

Clint Eastwood say twenty years ago was right on the money.
Hard as steel, and he can act. But in modern day terms I'm pretty stumped, I completely agree Dredd should be a mature man hardened by his cause. To have someone young would be dumb.

I really hope they go to town on making the environment of Megacity 1 a tangible place that feels like a city of the future.
Lots of intricacies and detail, let's aim for say... the look of Blade Runner as a high water mark. That's how you do a city.
No half arse attempts please. And dear lord no Rob Schnider!
I personally didn't think Sunshine was particularly good, that last third especially, when 'Captain Crispy' turns up was just lame.

If they were to franchise Dredd... (Oh man, it's like scripture they have to do this with films these days!)
If anyone is familiar with the character 'Chopper' and the sky surfers, they would make a pretty cool story line to weave in.
It would add some scope and depth to the underbelly of Megacity 1 as a place as well.

None the less, I will be crossing everything for this film. Dredd was a big part my childhood in the 80's and very early 90's.
2000AD is one of Britains best and most innovative exports.
We shoud be proud of this and not let another film adaptation go to the dogs again.

Peace and Love.

The Dude abides...

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 51
- 9/9/2009 11:10:46 PM   
punchdrunk

[Perve] They should skip Dredd and make a Judge Anderson film [/Perve]

Post #: 52
Wolverine as Dredd? - 9/9/2009 11:56:36 PM   
BenTramer

As Judge Dredd was modelled on Clint Eastwood and Clint's now too old for it, the obvious choice for the part would be Hugh Jackman. I wonder will they have Dredd remove his helmet like he did in the Stallone version.

Post #: 53
RE: multi-post mayhem pt.2 - 10/9/2009 1:12:09 AM   
Garth_Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Science

Alex garland is a lucky fucker - but I'm not convinved that he's a great choice - nothing that he's written before has demotnstrated an ability to write bad-ass or balls-out action, and he's not really delivered any decent satire either. Why give the job to someone who'e never written a Dredd story when there must be at least a hundred 2000ad writers with first-hand experience. At least get him a co-writer.

His novels, The Beach and The Tesseract, would both be ample evidence of his ability to provide the 'bad-ass' quality the character requires. Don't blame him for the film of The Beach - he didn't write the script for that (blame John Hodge). The book is nothing like Boyle's movie (it's great).

Mick Shrimpton: As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.

(in reply to Dr Science)
Post #: 54
Dredd??ut he manages to be - 10/9/2009 8:26:44 PM   
dropkickmurphy1972

Ive said this before but....Mr Ron Pearlman, he's getting on a bit, but he manages to be Hellboy, or Mickey Rourke Marv was a complete twat and so is Dredd ??
Either them, or Bruce Willis as long as the helmet stays on, but hes a bit too slender , im going away to think about some more

Post #: 55
Hollywood Great Britian Merger = terrific - 10/9/2009 9:55:22 PM   
GFT

The Uninted Kingdom of Great Britian can also "British-ize" American subjects as well. For instance:

THE DIG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dig

"The Dig A team of five is tasked with the mission of taking the Space Shuttle Atlantis to the asteroid, named "Attila" after Attila the Hun (to be distinguished from the real asteroid 1489 Attila), and plant nuclear explosives on its surface to cause it to divert to a stable orbit around the Earth.

The title 'The Dig' refers to the whole process of investigation and exploration of the planet, in order to make the alien machines work again and discover what happened to the lost civilization. The main theme is xenoarchaeology.
. . . and a new understanding of civilization's purpose.

The merging of Hollywood (PIXAR) and Cinema in Great Britian appears to be very exciting. Great Minds and ideas can now come-up with good stuff to put on screen to better ourselves across the board.

Post #: 56
RE: Hollywood Great Britian Merger = terrific - 11/9/2009 11:21:36 AM   
KRB

Man I am so happy to see that many Dredd fans united (sort of)! I have been a huge fan of Dredd since I was 6 or 7 years old. I have always imagined the movie to be directed by someone like David Fincher... the grainy, rainy, rough, bleak reality of "7" would be perfect for Dredd and Megacity.  

This movie should not .. by any means have any comic relief. The 1995 movie had some very good elements and they nailed a lot of things. I even would go as far as saying that Stallone wasn't to bad as Dredd, but he should just have kept the helmet on. Which also goes for this new version. DO NOT take the freakin' helmet off!! Please! It's part of the whole Dredd mystique that you never EVER see the mans face. This is why his voice and chin is so important. I think Rob Schneider was very close to be assasinated after that movie. And Stallone, I hear, was the one who wanted to make the movie "funny"!??

I mean Dredd is cheeky and his judgement is over the top unfair... so this should be the only "funny" element allowed. Other than that it should be rated R and violent as hell! Think "District 9".

Also I don't think you should have a muscle man as Dredd. I meen you could... but a lot of my favorite Dredd stories show him as this skinny, wirely characture...almost like Rostchach (spell?) in Watchmen (a little taller though).

I am really looking forward to this! This is the best movie news in many months.. I have been waiting for this for years and years!

Thank you to whomever is making this movie happen... please just get it right! Think "Batman Begins" and "Dark Knight"

(in reply to GFT)
Post #: 57
Director: Verhovan - 11/9/2009 1:07:53 PM   
drich90215

The one perfect director for judge Dredd always was Paul Verhoven. The Tone of the original Robocop movie was always very close to the feel and the humour from the Judge Dredd comic. Starship Troopers Proves this as well; there arent any other directors outside of straight up comedy directors that can get that humour but Verhoven also knows how to do action. KRB I think youre wrong about not getting a muscle man for Dredd. Remember Clint Eastwood in his day was a bit of a muscle man but his height disguised that somewhat. An ordinary built or skinny guy just won't look right in the suit. I've said it before Perlman and Rourke are good choices but there are just as good unknown guys out there maybe closer to the Clint Eastwood Ideal. Maggie Smiths Son Toby Stephens Played the Young Eastwood in Space Cowboys and He's A Great Actor too, How About someone like Him?

Post #: 58
RE: Director: Verhovan - 11/9/2009 2:47:02 PM   
KRB

Hi drich90215 - I definitely agree with you on the Paul Verhoven as director! Good call! I never thought of that but you are totally right.. the first Robocop really did have a "Judge Dredd" kind of feel.. and it was also violent as hell plus the humor that was just right. I support that.

In regards to a muscle man... well. I am not saying that it shouldn't be a muscle man... but it does not necessarily have to be. Again I think that Rorschach was a perfect example of a "non built" guy still being very menacing. But you might be right in regards to the looks of the suit. Rorschach wore a long coat so that was not an issue there. It might be an issue with a skin tight suit. I don't know anything about this guy Toby Stephens. I googled him and he looks like a pretty boy... and young.. I never imagined Dredd as being too young nor pretty.

But again it is an interesting choice if it is done right. I am actually thinking that Christian Bale or Mickey Rourke would both be prefection for the role. But Bale being both Batman AND John Connor is not gonna happen. But he actually excudes just the right amount of insanity and rage that Dredd has.

I don't know if Rourke is "loud" enough. Dredd tends to shout, spit and scream (Christian Bale anyone?). Rourke has this quiet kind of thing going on - smoking cigarettes and just looking silently at you. I definitely do not like Ron Perlman for the role... It's too close to Hellboy in some ways..

I acutally think that Hugh Jackman is an interesting choice if he agrees to never remove the helmet. He is also a "good looking" leading man but he can definitely play the rough, insane alpha male.

The more ai talk about it.... the more Bale just seems totally right for it...

What do you guys think?

(in reply to drich90215)
Post #: 59
RE: Director: Verhovan - 11/9/2009 3:52:57 PM   
Invader_Ace

Can everyone just leave it out?!  Rourke is pretty much the worst choice for Dredd ever!  Maybe he could be Mean Machine, but, c'mon, his features are pretty much the exact opposite of the phrase  Ol' Stoney Face!

(in reply to KRB)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Keep the mystery revisited Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI