Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

How about these for good?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> How about these for good? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How about these for good? - 29/8/2009 11:34:34 AM   
GavManB

Damian Lewis in Band Of Brothers was awesome, I think a few other brits did good jobs in that series too. Also Christian Bale nails accents too!

As fo the bad Dick Van Dyke is hilarious, SHTEP IN TOIME!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Worst case of a Scottish accent.... - 29/8/2009 2:17:24 PM   
janiac83

Harrison Ford in Last Crusade - a cringe inducing awful moment in an otherwise brilliant film. No wonder it didn't fool those nazis. Thought Zellweger nailed the Brit accent in Bridget Jones 1, and the poster below is spot on with the comment regarding all the Brit actors playing Americans in Band of Brothers. When I was a kid I was convinced Dexter Fletcher was American thanks to his role in Press Gang!

Post #: 32
Lord of the Rings - 29/8/2009 3:38:02 PM   
The True Mooseman

...is, for the most part, excellent as regards accents, yet for some reason Viggo Mortenson loses it in the Council of Elrond. Go listen to it, it sounds like nothing I've ever heard! It's not even as if it was his first day or anything...

Post #: 33
- 29/8/2009 9:36:58 PM   
tha gaffer

many of the green street cast

Post #: 34
- 30/8/2009 12:11:45 PM   
CoxintheBox

Natalie Portman wasn't that bad in V for Vendetta,and come on,Keanu Reeves was SO bad,so awful(T'IS THE MAN HIMSELF!)in Dracula that it's unfair to bracket Winona's agreeably poor attempt in with it.Reeves single-handedly ruined an otherwise great movie for me,and is responsible for the worst butchering of an English accent since the mighty DVD Poppins performance.

Post #: 35
RE: How About A Little Perspective? - 30/8/2009 7:50:50 PM   
wilmz68

Yep! Plenty of Yanks hired by English film-makers butchering the English accent, and vice versa!  So the casting directors are to blame really. 

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 36
Swept Away... - 30/8/2009 11:00:57 PM   
dylangod

Well, yeah... But Madonna was actually playing an American, wasn't she?

Post #: 37
Brits>Yanks - 31/8/2009 11:59:54 AM   
Razorus

Nice selection, though I think you could have found some better clips. Denzel's first line in his clip was actually ok.
As for people saying how the Brits are just as bad as Yanks at doing accents, I think you'll find that you are very wrong.
Most English actors can do a basic American accent very easily, usually a standard Northern one or a Southern drawl.
Admittedly, most don't know the difference between a Chicago and a Boston, as someone mentioned, but then again, it's not important to most audiences because those cities are not famous for unique accents. Now, an Italian-American accent is something that is easily recognizable, as is a Southern one, or a Western "cowboy" one. It's just the standards of Hollywood really, to make things more accessible.
American actors should NEVER be hired to do cockney accents, EVER. It is the worst thing IN THE WORLD. They just don't have a clue about what is real and what is the Hollywood interpretation of regional English accents, which are legion and extremely varied.

Post #: 38
- 31/8/2009 12:59:09 PM   
Steorra

Virtually every attempt at a Scottish accent makes me want to weep. I couldn't even watch 'Finding Neverland' because I was so worried Johnny Depp's mangled accent might force me to the extreme lengths of cutting off my own ears so I wouldn't have to listen to him any longer. The only exception that comes to mind is the aforementioned Mike Myers in 'So I Married An Axe Murderer', and then only because every scene with the father is HILARIOUS. And I totally agree that it works both ways, hearing Ewan McGregor, James McAvoy and Gerard Butler butcher the American accent is embarassing.

Post #: 39
Good Accents - 31/8/2009 1:54:00 PM   
Oriainarama

Michael Fassbender does an excellent posh WW2 english accent for Inglourious Basterds, also I liked Mike Myers in it as well.

Post #: 40
- 31/8/2009 1:55:12 PM   
Oriainarama

Kim Catrell in A Tigers Tale= Worst accent ever!!!! its supposed to be an irish one.

Post #: 41
Blown Away & The Devil's Own = ZING!!! - 31/8/2009 2:55:14 PM   
Rich Empire

Tommy Lee Jones in Blown Away? Surely.
Also Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own. Zing!
Injecting comedy completely unintensionally.
Also mike Myers again for Shrek, p-lease what the hell kind of Scottish accent was that?
: $

Post #: 42
RE: Brits>Yanks - 31/8/2009 8:32:40 PM   
benskelly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razorus

As for people saying how the Brits are just as bad as Yanks at doing accents, I think you'll find that you are very wrong.

And you know this because...?  You're British?

quote:

Most English actors can do a basic American accent very easily, usually a standard Northern one or a Southern drawl.

There is no such thing as a "basic" American accent, and this shows your extreme ignorance.  It's the myth of this generic accent that make so many Brits get it wrong.  You don't hear our subtle localisms, just as most Americans can't detect yours.  

quote:

Admittedly, most don't know the difference between a Chicago and a Boston, as someone mentioned, but then again, it's not important to most audiences because those cities are not famous for unique accents.

WRONG.  Again.  Both cities have very famous accents that have been the source of much humor.  Did you notice anything in the last week with all the Ted Kennedy clips? 

Ever seen the movie FARGO?  Or one set in New Orleans?  Or waspy Connecticut?

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.  And yet you go on...  

quote:

Now, an Italian-American accent is something that is easily recognizable, as is a Southern one, or a Western "cowboy" one. It's just the standards of Hollywood really, to make things more accessible.

No clue what you're saying here.  I expect neither do you.

quote:

American actors should NEVER be hired to do cockney accents, EVER.

Okay, and British actors can NEVER do Jewish New Yorkers or laid-back Californians!  Deal?

quote:

It is the worst thing IN THE WORLD. They just don't have a clue about what is real and what is the Hollywood interpretation of regional English accents, which are legion and extremely varied.

As opposed to America, a land 25 times the size, with 300 million people, a mishmash of cultures and the most diverse populace of any country in the world...  It really just has that one accent.

< Message edited by benskelly -- 31/8/2009 9:20:12 PM >

(in reply to Razorus)
Post #: 43
- 1/9/2009 10:35:51 AM   
rjgraham

Um, Myers' Scottish accent in Axe Murderer is... okay. I mean, better than what you get from a general approximation courtesy of The English, but not good. And yeah, his 'rampant Anglophilia' is a little besides the point.

Post #: 44
Northern ireland accents - 1/9/2009 1:15:21 PM   
munky22

Brad Pitt - the devils own, horrible accent, and cringe worthy to watch if your from Northern ireland!

Post #: 45
- 1/9/2009 1:45:42 PM   
Rhino171

Gerard Butler in PS I Love you is probably the worst accent.
I grew up with Mary Poppins, so thought that was how they actually sounded for a lot of my life.

Post #: 46
Oirish accents - 1/9/2009 6:51:30 PM   
malreynoldsmycaptain

The Brits don't get it bad as the irish. Tom Cruise in far and away, Julia Roberts in michael collins, Richard Gere in the Jackal, Ewan McGregor in Angels and Demons, Gerald Butler in P.S. I Love You ...... I don't want to go on. List of hollywood actors fucking it up is endless. We irish it get the worse out of everybody! (Although cate blanchett and jared leto are the exceptions)

Post #: 47
- 2/9/2009 9:08:30 AM   
daylights

Before we get smuggly on our high horses - let's look no further than two of the greatest actors that ever lived. I recall Sir Johnny Gielgud doing a lousy Texan accent many years ago in a film that I cannot recall, and Laurence Olivier used to make me cringe at his attempts at 'acting' Jewish, Austrian, American.
Face some facts fellas - accents are very difficult to pull off.

Post #: 48
Don Cheadle - 2/9/2009 12:05:54 PM   
oliraceking

Whenever I see him in the Ocean's films, I keep on thinking "Just get Danny John Jules" It just smacks of Soderbergh's smug clan of chums - what a turn off!

Post #: 49
G.I Joe: heavy duty - 2/9/2009 2:06:30 PM   
thunderclap

Wait a sec, yes don Cheadle’s is god awful in Ocean’s film, but nothing is as bad as G.I Joe’s Character: heavy duty played by Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje. First the character is British, the actor playing him is British & from north London. But is cocky accent is like; he must of research by watching Sir Michael Caine old movies. It makes your ears burn.
Plus the fact the film is crap, that didn’t help. Don’t ask why I watch it, saw it for free, Even my nephew wanted to leave it’s that’s bad & he’s 11yrs old.

Post #: 50
RE: How About A Little Perspective? - 3/9/2009 8:57:28 AM   
The Prodigy

quote:

ORIGINAL: benskelly
Hugh Laurie sounds like no American I have ever heard in my life in House...that is a completely bizarre, alien accent.

That may be true but when Hugh Laurie auditioned for the role with his 'American' accent, Bryan Singer had no idea he wasn't American until after he cast him.

To go off on a tangent, when I was in Las Vegas an American woman I was talking to decided to do an impression of my accent back to me. I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne. Her impression of me sounded like a bad impression of Prince Charles. Did she honestly think I'd appreciate her attempt at copying my accent? I should have done an awful 'Cowboy' accent back at her.

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 51
RE: How About A Little Perspective? - 3/9/2009 5:10:41 PM   
benskelly

quote:

That may be true but when Hugh Laurie auditioned for the role with his 'American' accent, Bryan Singer had no idea he wasn't American until after he cast him.

I don't know about that, but it is definitely a strange accent - and the weird part is he did a different American accent for the Stuart Little films and it was completely normal and believable.  Plus, I don't understand why they didn't just let him use his real accent.  We actually have Brits living and working in the US.  Gasp!  My brother-in-law being one of them.  The character is supposed to be a medical Sherlock Holmes, so...I don't get it.

But the accent stops me from ever getting completely into the show.

quote:

To go off on a tangent, when I was in Las Vegas an American woman I was talking to decided to do an impression of my accent back to me. I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne. Her impression of me sounded like a bad impression of Prince Charles. Did she honestly think I'd appreciate her attempt at copying my accent? I should have done an awful 'Cowboy' accent back at her.

And this proves what?  That there are rude people everywhere?  She probably did think you'd appreciate it - ignorance is bliss.  And if this is your biggest problem in life, then lucky you.

Everyone else's accent is "awful" but ours.  Funny how that works. 

(in reply to The Prodigy)
Post #: 52
RE: How About A Little Perspective? - 4/9/2009 12:35:31 PM   
The Prodigy

quote:

ORIGINAL: benskelly
And this proves what?  That there are rude people everywhere?  She probably did think you'd appreciate it - ignorance is bliss.  And if this is your biggest problem in life, then lucky you.

Everyone else's accent is "awful" but ours.  Funny how that works. 

It wasn't meant to prove anything, as I said, I was going off on a tangent. By 'Awful' I meant my impression of an American cowboy accent would have been awful not that the American accent itself is awful.

*shoots console*
"Boring conversation anyway."

(in reply to benskelly)
Post #: 53
RE: How About A Little Perspective? - 6/9/2009 7:40:29 PM   
benskelly

Well, sorry I misunderstood.  I guess the confusion came from the anger of your post and the fact that there is no such thing as a "cowboy accent".  That would be like me calling a posh British dialect a "butler accent".

Anyway, you're right - I'm bored. 

Not going to shoot my computer though, not being a cowboy and all... 

(in reply to The Prodigy)
Post #: 54
RE: - 16/9/2009 12:19:49 PM   
dylangod

quote:

There is no such thing as a "basic" American accent

Of course there is. It's called General American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_american), and what people mean by British accent is Received Pronunciation (or Standard English). Why is this so hard to grasp? There are loads of comments out there (imdb, for instance) constantly pointing out that there is no such thing as a general accent. You don't have to speak a regional accent to sound either American or British. But there are certain linguistic features you have to get perfectly right to make it sound genuine.

quote:

It's the myth of this generic accent that make so many Brits get it wrong.  You don't hear our subtle localisms

So ... Let me get this straight. Brits get wrong what you're saying is a myth?
At any rate, the point is that "subtle localisms" are, well, localisms, right? And many actors do get them. But then it becomes a regional accent or even a dialect. And now sure, that is extremely hard to achieve. But a general accent is basically a set of pronunciation and intonation standards that don't require "subtle localisms". I suppose we could take most TV newscasters as an example.

(in reply to rjgraham)
Post #: 55
V's Speech - 21/2/2010 9:26:09 PM   
kamon994

V's Speech is possibly the greatest thing I have ever heard

Post #: 56
RE: Oirish accents - 29/9/2010 12:43:09 AM   
Concise_Statement

quote:

ORIGINAL: malreynoldsmycaptain

The Brits don't get it bad as the irish. Tom Cruise in far and away, Julia Roberts in michael collins, Richard Gere in the Jackal, Ewan McGregor in Angels and Demons, Gerald Butler in P.S. I Love You ...... I don't want to go on. List of hollywood actors fucking it up is endless. We irish it get the worse out of everybody! (Although cate blanchett and jared leto are the exceptions)

I suppose you caught the Amy Adams film 'Leap Year' then? Ssssssss... I am deeply sorry.

< Message edited by Concise_Statement -- 29/9/2010 12:45:07 AM >

'Was Hypatia of Alexandria killed by Michael Bay?'

(in reply to malreynoldsmycaptain)
Post #: 57
RE: Worst British Accents Ever - 29/9/2010 10:00:08 AM   
Discodez

One of the worst Cockney accents I've ever heard in a film is actually by a British actor! Charlie Hunnam's atrocius effort in "Green Street" is equally as bad as Depp or Whitakker and almost as laughably awful as Dick Van Dyke...

Post #: 58
RE: Worst British Accents Ever - 29/9/2010 2:22:42 PM   
gazpop

Because I was born in Hampshire (darrrrrling), my father is from Yorkshire (but sounds unbelievably neutral) and my mother sounds like Hyacinth Bucket, I am able to pull off practically any accent/dialect/drawl. It really is amazing. You have to hear my Baaaston accent to believe it. I do however have problems with the different geordie ones (unless I'm on the whisky) and I have been known to lapse from Manc into Scouse and vice versa.
The point is, accents can be incredibly hard. Hardest part of all is to keep them constant. The most impressive accenters (probably not a real word) I've come across have been Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale and John Lithgow.
Out of interest, are there many different sounding accents in Candadia?
I didn't mean to show off at the start. I'm sure most of them only sound good to my ears. But my Glasgee, Norn Irelan, and Valllleys man are pretty good cos I can keep them up. Accents where you can really stretch your mouth the most are both the most fun to do and often the most believable. Apologies to the Irish and Scots. So many people, myself included, totally massacre your accent constantly. Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? I myself am half Welsh and thus can rip the piss as much as I want about the sheep shaggers, boyo. As I can about them northerners.
Oh, and how come people don't seem to realise that there are many different London accents. They're not all cockneys/mockneys you know!

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 59
RE: Worst British Accents Ever - 29/9/2010 10:40:54 PM   
hellsangel66

I was on holiday in Florida and the amount of Americans who thought I was Australian........

I'm from Dorset......!!!

But you're right there have been some truly terrible British accents in movies over the years.....!!!

I am extraordinary. I am your ordinary everyday psycho sane supergoddess

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> How about these for good? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI