Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Is he the Bat, or just a frail mouse with fake wings??

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Is he the Bat, or just a frail mouse with fake wings?? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is he the Bat, or just a frail mouse with fake wings?? - 8/1/2008 8:21:15 AM   
DanCurley

Mmmmm. I watched this last night. I'm starting martial arts tonight (Jeet Kune Do - Bruce Lee's free-forming type) and I wanted Liam's "If you can fight six men you can engage 600" ringing through my ears as I walk in and start flying kicking.

...the only other Batman film that deserves to even be mentioned next to BB is the one from the '60s (which truly is one of the most hysterical movies ever made). Joel Sch must have been weeping from all three eyes when he first watched Begins and seen how it should be done.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.
Post #: 61
The Dark Knight Reborn - 19/1/2008 8:44:48 PM   
daxpieters

It's much better than previous Batman movies. After the first Batman movie, Burton made it too bright for my taste. A Batman movie should be dark and gritty. This movie has all the ingredients to make it succeed. Bale has been casted really well. His performance and also the performance of Murphy is actually a bit frightening. Nolan on the other hand shows that he's not afraid to explore. He showed the whole cast the movie Blade Runner before he began shooting this film. And I think these two movies have a lot in common. I'm really looking forward to The Dark Knight!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
- 28/1/2008 8:04:03 PM   
Kat113

Best. Film. Ever.

At least it shall be until The Dark Knight...

Post #: 63
Reignighting the Series! - 2/2/2008 8:44:39 PM   
JCrooks

As much as i love Tim Burtons take on the bat world, Nolan did it better! His previous debocles with dementia (Insomnia, Memento) gave him the experience to handle the Scarecrow character perfectly. I also think he will do just as good with the joker (the late Heath Leger). TOP BANANA!

Post #: 64
- 6/2/2008 3:43:50 PM   
larstrygve

back in the old days superman 2 was it, X2 was close, but BB is so far the greatest movie adaptation of a comic ever done!!!

Post #: 65
- 8/2/2008 12:09:16 PM   
discodave101

When was this review redone? It was 4 stars on release, and I agreed with that rating. The fighting scene's, although purposefully incoherent, ruin the enjoyment of the major action scenes from the return to Gotham onwards. A four star film, yes, but a perfect 5? No way.

Post #: 66
- 22/2/2008 7:47:26 PM   
dgribble

The cleared away all memories of batman forever, batman and robin faster than the Alien wiped out the nostromo crew.
Nolan brought batman back to what it should be, dark and deep. The hero was dark again, and villians (Cillian Murphy) creepy, and Neeson (Cool).

Post #: 67
Last Exchange - 27/2/2008 1:48:07 PM   
godders123

The last two lines in the film between Oldman and Bale is awesome. Superb film!

Post #: 68
Last Exchange - 27/2/2008 1:48:07 PM   
godders123

The last two lines in the film between Oldman and Bale is awesome. Superb film!

Post #: 69
Like a great wine - 20/3/2008 11:25:25 AM   
Hillsman

I would've said 4 when I watched it first time around....thought the last 30mins strayed a little too far from a dark & gritty depiction of Batman that was thoroughly grounded in realism. However, every time I watch it, I find the atmosphere compelling and the characters convincing.....and what a cast it is too!! Definitely the best Batman movie around and well deserving of a 5th-star upgrade.

Post #: 70
- 8/4/2008 12:47:10 PM   
shawshank prisoner

a classic anf the best comic book movie of all time... until The Dark Knight that is ;)

Post #: 71
- 8/4/2008 12:47:11 PM   
shawshank prisoner

a classic anf the best comic book movie of all time... until The Dark Knight that is ;)

Post #: 72
One of my favourite films - 25/4/2008 12:11:20 PM   
Ricorodrigeuz

This film is incredible! The acting is perfect, the story is very engaging and the action keeps you on the edge of your seat. Best film ever? Not far off!

Post #: 73
One of my favourite films - 25/4/2008 12:11:24 PM   
Ricorodrigeuz

This film is incredible! The acting is perfect, the story is very engaging and the action keeps you on the edge of your seat. Best film ever? Not far off!

Post #: 74
The Greatest Bat-Film of All Time - 3/5/2008 2:19:07 PM   
joker1471

What the title says. It just simply is the greatest film to portray Batman ever made. It stays true to the original comics, taking inspiration from bat-comics such as Frank Millar's "Year One" and Jeph Loeb's "The Long Halloween". Christian Bale portrays the character as a flawed human being, racked by guilt at his parents' murder. This is the first film that we care about Bruce Wayne, as opposed to just waiting until he puts on the suit and becomes Batman. Equally, we are all the more interested in Batman because of the journey he makes as Bruce Wayne. This is also the first film (since Mask of the Phantasm) in which Batman is not overshadowed by the villains of the piece, and while Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy give fantastic performances as Ducard and The Scarecrow respectively, they never take the attention away from Batman. With a great ensemble cast and a brilliant ending that has made The Dark Knight my most eagerly anticipated film since 2006, this is a definite must-see for bat-fans everywhere, and also for those who enjoy a very entertaining, very intelligent film.

Post #: 75
3 and a half stars - 6/5/2008 12:38:10 PM   
epdug

If i could give it that I would, good but not amazing. Superman Returns, although obviously different, is a far superior movie.

Post #: 76
- 21/5/2008 7:00:35 PM   
Hedgehog Nolan

Best batman movie ever cant wait for the new one.

Post #: 77
5 stars your on crack - 6/6/2008 3:30:45 PM   
madmax1982

boring from the start 3rd worst in the series. Tim burton nailed it and nolan just puts us to sleep a box office flop compared to the original and I can see why.

Post #: 78
Definitely the best batman but 5 stars,are you having a... - 23/6/2008 8:09:49 PM   
JohnPaul1996

Its 4 stars until he actually becomes batman,then he puts on this crappy Clint East Wood accent.I still love Christian Bale and I can't wait to see the next Batman movie, Roll on!!!

Post #: 79
It ain't that good! - 25/6/2008 11:17:17 AM   
donniedarkest

I watched this for the third time last night. I want to love it, but i must say that it isn't that good. The script is clunky and worthy. Neeson's character spouts some awful, vaguely 'Art of War' phrases, and the flashback scenes of a young Bruce Wayne seem to be from an inferior film. As much as I love Christian Bale he pouts his way through the film, and is nowhere near as interesting as Michael Keaton. Falcone was wasted, and was never portrayed as a truly menacing power. I didn't like the Himalyas scenes, they just didn't seem like Batman. Ra's al Ghul didn't wash with me. BUT! How cool was the Scarecrow! Whenever the hallucogen was unleashed, the film moved up several notches, and was magnificent. The imagery was truly chilling, and along with the brilliantly judged portrayal of Gordon and the 'calling card' payoff, saved the film. Just. Still can't wait for The Dark Knight. I have no doubts that it will be a 5 star experience. Touch wood.

Post #: 80
- 4/7/2008 3:50:24 PM   
ciaran colyer

re watched it and have to say is still awesome, better than schumachers ones and even burtons ones (which are over-rated)
bring on the dark knight!

Post #: 81
Best superhero movie ever? - 7/7/2008 11:49:49 AM   
SkullKassidy

My biggest regret regarding this film is not seeing it in the cinema and waiting for the DVD ...but after Schumacher's insults and Burton's disappointments the appearence of a new Batman movie during the "superhero boom" filled me with nothing but dread!

How wrong I was!

You can't look at any superhero movie the same after seeing this one. It does to superhero movies what Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Alan Moore's Watchmen did for superhero comics, namely show just what they can be capable of and how clever and, dare I say, relevant they can be.

Nolan's skill for making the implausible and unlikely seem perfectly plausible and natural is put to good use as the superhero movie steps into our world rather us having to take the usual leap of faith to be in it's.

On top of that Nolan and Goyer's script manages to show respect to the subject matter that most comic-based-movies lack while still managing fill it with it's own individual style.

The cast are amazing obviously. Bale does a fantastic job getting us involved with Wayne from the beginning, making it the first Batman film we actually like Batman in. Neeson's turn as the persuasive Ducard is great. On top of that we have Michel Caine. Gary Oldman, Tom Wilkinson, Morgan Freeman and Rutger Hauer as the BACKGROUND CHARACTERS! Never mind superhero movies ...movies in general rarely bring together such pedigree all at once. And of course there is Katie Holmes who is ...well ...she's still Katie Homes, but she manages not to drag the film down so we can let her off.

In short, superhero movies haven't been the same for me since! 2 hours of CGI and loose plot just don't cut it anymore when you see how smart this genre can actually be.

Bring on the Dark Knight! We're ready!

Post #: 82
Dark Knight will have to be really good to top this! - 15/7/2008 1:17:20 PM   
McGuffin

Wasn't the slightest bit interested in watching this film until it came out and I saw it on a whim with my kid brother. I was totally blown away by it.

Post #: 83
When did this review change?? - 17/7/2008 2:41:20 PM   
badbehaviour

I'm sure this was a 4 star empire review until just seeing this now - with superman returns as the only 5 star comic book movie adaptation to make 5 (and someone had taken too much tramadol when reviewing that one... shocking work, empire. nostalgia doesn't surpass a genuine lack of entertainment)... and if superman was the benchmark, then justifiably this deserves 5 also - but what's with the change in opinion? Even from the god of reviews Mr Kim Newman himself...???

Post #: 84
RE: When did this review change?? - 20/7/2008 12:17:03 PM   
DanCurley

As anyone seen that bit in BrassEye where Morris is toying some judge into saying Batman shouldn't go? It's bloody funny.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.
Post #: 85
RE: When did this review change?? - 20/7/2008 12:26:07 PM   
darth silas

Just to respod to Mycroft and Fierce hairdo's comments on Batman supposedly betraying his mantra about killing people.Batman did not kill Ras'al ghul,Batman saved the city,by jamming those controls on the train making sure it did not reach gotham tower,he then saved himself by blowing out the back of the train and gliding to safety.

He wouldnt have been able to save Ras anyway cos he wouldnt be able to glide away by carrying him.Batman made the choice between saving gotham or saving Ras.He made the right decision,thats what makes him a hero.

< Message edited by darth silas -- 20/7/2008 12:27:05 PM >

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 86
RE: When did this review change?? - 20/7/2008 1:30:17 PM   
no1psh

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Just to respod to Mycroft and Fierce hairdo's comments on Batman supposedly betraying his mantra about killing people.Batman did not kill Ras'al ghul,Batman saved the city,by jamming those controls on the train making sure it did not reach gotham tower,he then saved himself by blowing out the back of the train and gliding to safety.

He wouldnt have been able to save Ras anyway cos he wouldnt be able to glide away by carrying him.Batman made the choice between saving gotham or saving Ras.He made the right decision,thats what makes him a hero.

Who's to say that Ra's is even dead? You're obviously a 24 fan, you'd no all about characters supposedly being dead and showing up again. The fact that its a superhero movie makes it even more likely that Ra's could be still alive!

"I drink you're milkshake!"
"I drink it up"

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 87
RE: When did this review change?? - 21/7/2008 3:04:01 AM   
SkullKassidy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fierce-hairdo

quote:

:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

:

ORIGINAL: Mycroft

Batman Begins annoys me. They set him up as a symbol of inspiration but then don't properly show what impact he's having on the city, especially from the public's perspective. We really don't have a good understanding of the city at all, the Spiderman films do a much better job of that. They also make no hay out of it being a symbol of fear that somehow inspires people.

At the end of the day the only thing we're shown of Bruce's motivation is Rachel's rant and his father's legacy, it just doesn't feel like a strong enough reason to dedicate yourself, he's living someone else's life. I've never considered his parent's morality to be the key motivator, that's much more of a Spiderman idea. What does their legacy of combatting poverty have to do with dressing up as a Bat anyway? The endless desire to prevent the same thing happening again, while at the same time it being a selfish outlet, is what makes the character interesting. I didn't get either of those things from Begins, it's pretty one-note. It isn't really the usual approach to Batman at all, this version isn't particularly dedicated, he naively thinks it'll be a short-term bit of charity work. I find versions of the character who are compelled to do it, the semi-freaks, much more interesting. The fact that Joe Chill was caught really screws up his motivation, it's much less about anger and more about altruism, he's always in control, there's no real tension there.

Fascinating insight. That might be part of the reason I could never fully get behind the protagonist in Batman Begins. The more I think about it, the more I think you're right about Bruce's motivations being poorly rendered. His motivations are generally explained in the dialogue as opposed to be properly dramatised.

Interesting.

But my biggest beef with Batman Begins is its inconsistent theme. At the end of the first act, Bruce states quite resolutely that "I'm no executioner" because "it separates us from them". At this point, we like Bruce. We think "yeah, that's what makes Batman a hero". Yet in the film's final moments, he basically betrays his own mantra. Bruce sabotages the train's controls and says to Ra's Al Ghul "I won't kill you...but I don't have to save you". What does that mean? That Bruce is looking for loopholes in his own rules? For fuck's sake, you just left a man on a death bound train. Say what you want, but thats murder. That's Bruce crossing the line. It's as though Bruce never spared that farmer's life at all, and undercuts the entire theme of the film of what makes Batman different from any other vigilante. "Justice is about more than just revenge"? Really?

Both of these comments are right on the money.
Batman Begins is certainly overrated. The so called 'inteligence' of the movie is no where to be seen by the finale. Max314 is absolutely right about the phoney-ness of Batman's line "I won't kill you...but I don't have to save you". Its a complete cop out of the "I'm no executioner" mantra throughout the film. It would have been fascinating to explore these contradictions in Batman's character, exposing his flaws but unfortunately Nolan chooses to simply assert Batman's heroic virtue ignoring the fact that Batman ends the film guilty of effective murder of Ra's Al Ghul or at least his manslaughter. We are just encouraged to think that Ra's was a bad man and got his just deserts just like Ra's claimed about the criminal Bruce refused to execute. I guess they think Ra's was right all along!?!

Also, I'm sure this was originally a 4 star review. Empire sneakily trying to rewrite history when people aren't looking again?

All of you that are complaining that Batman betrays his own no-kill mantra by letting someone die (who technically had placed themselves in that position themselves by trying to destroy a whole city) ...you might want consider avoiding reading Frank Miller's seminal "The Dark Knight Returns" it might be abit much for you to handle.

Those of us who do appreciate Miller's vision, and Batman's character in the modern day arena, know half of the attraction is how close to the edge of his own rules Batman often goes. Makes him abit more interesting than someone who does the 100% right thing ALL the time.

And I hope you are all coming down this hard, if not harder, on the Tim Burton movies as well ...if my memory serves me right there are scenes in them that include him blowing up a factory full of henchmen and attaching a bomb to some guy before kicking him down a sewer to explode. How's that for Batman ignoring his own Mantra?
Post #: 88
RE: When did this review change?? - 21/7/2008 10:34:34 AM   
shool

I thought Begins was great and a much needed reboot to the franschise. Nolan is a great director and I cant wait to see The Dark Knight this weekend.

4 stars from me.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to SkullKassidy)
Post #: 89
5 Stars? 5 Sodding Stars?!?!? - 21/7/2008 11:14:32 AM   
blaud

What is wrong with you? the story is all over the place and the overall style screws up the batman legacy

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Is he the Bat, or just a frail mouse with fake wings?? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI