Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

EMPIRE ESSAY: Romancing The Stone

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> EMPIRE ESSAY: Romancing The Stone Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EMPIRE ESSAY: Romancing The Stone - 26/1/2006 11:23:19 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: EMPIRE ESSAY: Romancing The Stone - 28/8/2012 12:23:18 AM   
Phubbs

Romancing the Stone (1984)

Is there any film that Douglas stars in where he doesn't manage to show or reveal bits of his anatomy?...mainly his ass. An early Zemeckis film with a cast that would reunite a few times after but was it any good? yeeeaa no.

Made a few years after another certain popular fedora wearing adventurer you could be forgiven for thinking this was a poor mans rip of that franchise. Indeed the whole look of the film is similar but instead of hot yellow desert sands we have wet sweaty green jungle, plus its set in the present day of 84.

Personally I really can't see why this was a hit upon release. The plot is quite a mess with many people all running around after other people and a map, poor action sequences, uneventful twists and dull villains...if any.
I don't wanna mention Indy but I just can't help it hehe. Douglas's character is decked out in virtually the same kind of gear and he has a silly macho type of name. Both him and Turner run around the jungle dodging snakes, soldiers, large ravines, crocodiles and drug runners doing pretty much what you would expect this type of film to offer albeit in a slightly more grown up fashion.

Douglas really isn't the right kind of leading man for this type of film, the guy always was so sleazy looking. Devito also struggles to inject anything into the film in my view despite clearly being stuck in it for comedy, the guy is not right for fast paced actions films. Overall the casting was horrible if you ask me, worst line up ever!.

Total hit and miss for me, really didn't like anything going on, found it dull and cliched. A typical mix of Indy and Bond yet adding nothing new or exciting to the fold. Had it come out before other films then it may have been a different story, oh and the films poster is way better than the actual film (common issue with some old 80's films).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> EMPIRE ESSAY: Romancing The Stone Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI