Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: - 24/8/2009 8:03:22 PM   
Lex Romero

Christ I'm not sure which is worse, people suggesting it doesn't look good and hasn't gotten the "dreamscape" after seeing a few seconds of what we assume to be a scene in his mind.  Or the people declaring it to look amazing and better than TDK.

At least Devi backs up his point a bit with pointing out Nolan visual style doesn't particularly lean towards the fantastical.  Though I think that's unfair to an extent as just because he hasn't used that visual style doesn't mean he isn't capable of it.

It's got me curious as i like a lot of Nolan's work.  But lets not get hyperbolic in either direction.

My Film list for 2009:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2164869&mpage=39

(in reply to clarkkent)
Post #: 31
Tease me - 24/8/2009 8:04:30 PM   
MaxRenn

for a teaser trailer, it was sadly lacking in any tease...more 'ho hum' seen that before. Will wait to see more before passing judgment.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: - 24/8/2009 8:09:32 PM   
themightyhutch

That was SO COOL! Seriously that was wicked. I have faith that Christopher Nolan can make a good film out of this, and after that trailer i'm already intrigued.

(in reply to **preet**)
Post #: 33
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 24/8/2009 8:22:42 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

From this one minute I have seen I will say that even The Cell got the concept better. That film was based in the realm of the mind and dreams and certainly got the dreamscapes right. And so did Paprika.

Honestly, why Nolan for this?

But The Cell was a bit too "ooh look at the weird stuff" for me, isn't Paprika animated? It may be able to get away with things live action can't. Anyway, it's wait and see for me but I'm confident it'll be worth catching.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 34
Ohhh Myyy - 24/8/2009 8:44:05 PM   
DeadCell79

Oh my i didnt expect anything like this when i heard about him making this movie..

i was expecting somthing along the lines of Body of Lies or some kind of movie like that. but this is better then anything i could have dreamd for by the looks of it.. lets hope it lives up to the ever growing hype this movie will get

Post #: 35
Are you watching Jim? - 24/8/2009 8:53:34 PM   
waltham1979

Wow; now thats a teaser trailer! Can't wait to find out more...maybe Jim Cameron should get in touch with Chris Nolan's marketing department!?! Less is often more...

Post #: 36
Are you watching Jim? - 24/8/2009 8:53:38 PM   
waltham1979

I would like to point out that I have drunk quite a few lagers tonight and I watched that on the biggest computer monitor I have ever seen so I really think its shiny...still don't like the Avatar trailer though (Im going to go and drink more beer and see if I like it then)...

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 24/8/2009 8:57:59 PM >

Post #: 37
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 24/8/2009 9:44:35 PM   
hatebox

quote:

The obvious answer would be: because he directed the most watched film in America of the decade and any studio would be happy to throw money at him.

Artistically I also think he's great, but I'm not going to spend paragraphs trying to convince anyone here.

EDIT - come to think of it, another very obvious reason why it's Nolan is that he wrote the script...

< Message edited by hatebox -- 24/8/2009 9:48:51 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 38
inception - 24/8/2009 10:00:11 PM   
phil blakeman

honestly didn't thrill me but it's Nolan so I have faith and that cast is incredible.

Post #: 39
- 24/8/2009 10:01:34 PM   
Bubba76

iiiiinnnnteresting.....

Post #: 40
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 24/8/2009 10:15:21 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

quote:

The obvious answer would be: because he directed the most watched film in America of the decade and any studio would be happy to throw money at him.

Artistically I also think he's great, but I'm not going to spend paragraphs trying to convince anyone here.

EDIT - come to think of it, another very obvious reason why it's Nolan is that he wrote the script...

Well thank you Mr. Obvious-who-has-to-answer-a-rhetorical-question man.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 41
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 24/8/2009 10:24:07 PM   
hatebox

Oh. Well, it's hard to tell on the internet. And you did express a similar sentiment in the future films thread. I'm so confused..

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 42
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 24/8/2009 10:43:52 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

From this one minute I have seen I will say that even The Cell got the concept better. That film was based in the realm of the mind and dreams and certainly got the dreamscapes right. And so did Paprika.

But The Cell was a bit too "ooh look at the weird stuff" for me, isn't Paprika animated? It may be able to get away with things live action can't. Anyway, it's wait and see for me but I'm confident it'll be worth catching.

It is dreams, it is subjective, of course it is weird, it is fantasy, surreal, bizarre. Maybe not in the level of The Cell, Vertigo or Spellbound but please don't make a 200 million sci-fi about dreams and make them straightfoward and realistic. At least in Open your Eyes and Buneal's films you had some imagery. Some symbolism. I have still not seen that in Nolan, not once (except possibly in Insomnia, possibly).

And Paprika is animated but it did have some stunning imagery and visuals.

Mind you this is a one minute teaser I am talking about. So it could still surprise me. Like The Dark Knight did.

Paprika is animated but still had a similar plot.

EDIT: I just remembered Doodlebug, sorry, move along.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 24/8/2009 11:12:55 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 43
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 24/8/2009 10:55:44 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Oh. Well, it's hard to tell on the internet. And you did express a similar sentiment in the future films thread. I'm so confused..

I did, but that question was rhetorical. I just wish someone with more a visual eye could take the same concept(well Kon and Tarsem did). Especially seeing it live action would have been great and surely the things you could do with 200 million would be endless.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 44
RE: RE: - 24/8/2009 11:14:11 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lex Romero

At least Devi backs up his point a bit with pointing out Nolan visual style doesn't particularly lean towards the fantastical.  Though I think that's unfair to an extent as just because he hasn't used that visual style doesn't mean he isn't capable of it.

It's got me curious as i like a lot of Nolan's work.  But lets not get hyperbolic in either direction.

To be honest I just remembered Doodlebug. Which did have quite a good fantastical, surreal element. You can ignore some of my comments I posted to Woger please. I just hope his realistic tendencies didn't go to his mind.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Lex Romero)
Post #: 45
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 24/8/2009 11:23:39 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: near

Looks interesting. But does not appear to represent it's $200M budget.

With a 1 minute teaser I'd be fucking amazed if it did.

Great teaser. I feel teased. I want MORE. Jumped to No.1 in my most anticipated of 2010 (followed by Clash of the Titans).

< Message edited by CORLEONE -- 24/8/2009 11:25:14 PM >

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to near)
Post #: 46
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 25/8/2009 12:13:14 AM   
Jasper_29

The only reason why it's interesting is because it says "a Christopher Nolan film". The crime in your mind shit makes it sound like Vitruousity, and the scenes shown tell you absolutely nothing, only that they attempt to remind us of The Matrix.

On a side note, Leo DiCaprio looks seriously depressed in his last string of roles. Maybe he should try something a little more lightweight.

< Message edited by Jasper_29 -- 25/8/2009 12:14:41 AM >

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 47
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 25/8/2009 1:29:02 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is dreams, it is subjective, of course it is weird, it is fantasy, surreal, bizarre. Maybe not in the level of The Cell, Vertigo or Spellbound but please don't make a 200 million sci-fi about dreams and make them straightfoward and realistic. At least in Open your Eyes and Buneal's films you had some imagery. Some symbolism. I have still not seen that in Nolan, not once (except possibly in Insomnia, possibly).

Mind you this is a one minute teaser I am talking about. So it could still surprise me.
Like The Dark Knight did.

Keep the bold in mind, Devi, and everyone else going crazy on either side. The amount of hyperbole slinging both ways is ridiculous (though declaring The Cell and Paprika to have better imagery than the entirety of this film based on two scenes in a teaser trailer is plumbing lows usually reserved for a certain someone in the Unpopular Opinion thread ).

It's intriguing - it's not an amazing teaser (I was expecting a bit more from the hallway fight based on what I'd been told) but it does appear to be going for a more reality-based dreamscape, and that's fine. Dreams aren't all unicorns and screaming trees, so I don't see why we need to expect full-on fantasy from a dream-based film - though I don't necessarily think Nolan won't engage in the fantastical in the film (as you said, Devi, Doodlebug seems to point at a side of Nolan he's not yet explored).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 48
'A guy dressed as a porter'? - 25/8/2009 2:00:10 AM   
Garth_Marenghi

I thought that was Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Is he playing a baddie, do you think?

< Message edited by Garth_Marenghi -- 25/8/2009 2:01:12 AM >

Mick Shrimpton: As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.

Post #: 49
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 25/8/2009 6:57:53 AM   
JoeyPottr

Hmm, they're really playing on the fact that Nolan directed The Dark Knight here, lots of blues, high crane/pan over a big city, night time etc.etc. then it turns into a Matrix type flying through the air fight thing. I like Nolan though TDK was amazing, I really enjoyed The Prestige as well. It's a little strange how much Joseph Gordon Levitt is looking like the late Heath Ledger these days.

wandering through the tall grass of life

Post #: 50
Now, Don't Get Too Excited - 25/8/2009 7:03:51 AM   
godzuki

Wow everybody, look a teaser trailer for a film that is only half completed! Fair play though, it does look intriguing. Just one thing, anybody else think that the only reason we got this trailer so early on is because of the rumors that Nolan was actually filming Batman 3? Hmmmm, inquiring minds need to know

Post #: 51
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 25/8/2009 10:11:25 AM   
Macavity

I appreciated the return of the 'Why So Serious?' strings.
I, like the majority of people who will see this in the cinema, invested my interest the moment the tag 'from the director of The Dark Knight' flashed onscreen. The trailers and promotion can be as cryptic as they like because as long as people are aware of Nolan's previous credit, this film's going to do very well (provided there isn't some kind of critical backlash...which wouldn't be too unexpected).

Post #: 52
- 25/8/2009 10:17:35 AM   
dunstabledoug

Move along, nothing to see here...

Post #: 53
The Incredible Suit says... - 25/8/2009 10:39:21 AM   
David Somerset

This looks to be just as spanky as Nolan's other non-Batflicks (Insomnia excepted). Memento is endlessly rewatchable and The Prestige, despite having a twist you could see from the cinema car park, was also an atmospheric and disturbing winner. Even Leonardo DiCaprio, who's sporting that expression that makes him look like he's trying to calculate a complex equation while holding in a potentially violent fart, might not be able to sink this one.

The Incredible Suit

< Message edited by David Somerset -- 25/8/2009 10:40:37 AM >

(in reply to dunstabledoug)
Post #: 54
RE: RE: - 25/8/2009 12:09:54 PM   
hatebox

quote:

quote:

To be honest I just remembered Doodlebug. Which did have quite a good fantastical, surreal element. You can ignore some of my comments I posted to Woger please. I just hope his realistic tendencies didn't go to his mind.

I always thought the totally non-linear narrative and murky soundtrack to The Prestige gave it a dream-like quality, even if the imagery was fairly standard. I guess  I think of a 'dream-like quality' as being more tonal and sensation based than visual, even in the medium of film, but I've no idea if that feeling will be replicated in Inception...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 55
Not a lot to go on... - 25/8/2009 1:09:49 PM   
lsdbaby

But I am still very excited. I just hope the film can stay this secretive until release. Imagine not knowing every twist of the plot/action sequence/costume change of a film before you go and see it!

No, I can't imagine it either.

Post #: 56
RE: Inception Teaser Trailer Now Online - 25/8/2009 1:11:40 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mind you this is a one minute teaser I am talking about. So it could still surprise me.
Like The Dark Knight did.

Keep the bold in mind, Devi, and everyone else going crazy on either side. The amount of hyperbole slinging both ways is ridiculous (though declaring The Cell and Paprika to have better imagery than the entirety of this film based on two scenes in a teaser trailer is plumbing lows usually reserved for a certain someone in the Unpopular Opinion thread ).

It's intriguing - it's not an amazing teaser (I was expecting a bit more from the hallway fight based on what I'd been told) but it does appear to be going for a more reality-based dreamscape, and that's fine. Dreams aren't all unicorns and screaming trees, so I don't see why we need to expect full-on fantasy from a dream-based film - though I don't necessarily think Nolan won't engage in the fantastical in the film (as you said, Devi, Doodlebug seems to point at a side of Nolan he's not yet explored).

I was somewhat basing it as well on what I had seen previously from Nolan, forgetting Doodlebug. And his Batman films. But yeah, I did fall on those levels. I was being silly there, see unlike you I can accept when I am being nonsensical. I am not expecting full on fantasy (Amenabar, Bunuel, Holland did some impressive work without going full on fantasy). It's just these Batman films that piss me off a bit. Well, one Batman film.

Plus I did say I was being silly, like you were being silly about the characterization in Pierrot le Fou and Alien. Oh sick Burn!!!!111!!!!

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 57
RE: RE: - 25/8/2009 1:11:47 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

I always thought the totally non-linear narrative and murky soundtrack to The Prestige gave it a dream-like quality, even if the imagery was fairly standard. I guess  I think of a 'dream-like quality' as being more tonal and sensation based than visual, even in the medium of film, but I've no idea if that feeling will be replicated in Inception...

I still think The Prestige is a mess (the plot is poor imho, and I still feel cheated at the end). But I was severely disappointed by that film, all I saw at the end it was a frustrating melodrama.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 58
RE: RE: - 25/8/2009 1:40:30 PM   
hatebox

I guessed you thought that , but my point still stands...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 59
RE: RE: - 25/8/2009 3:26:42 PM   
Andy7x

Hmm, certainly intriguing, despite being told next to nothing. I agree with those who said the CGI titles in-between the footage looked a little on the naff side, but I assume that's been knocked together fairly quickly, seeing as they've only just started filming.

Not to go on about Avatar, but these short pieces of footage are far more interesting to me than what I've seen of Cameron's opus (as of yet, anyway).

http://badvertisinguk.blogspot.com/

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI