Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Superman Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Superman Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Superman Thread - 30/8/2009 2:31:15 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: MI Cruise

I heard there was an animated film released last year called Doomsday does anyboy know what thats about?

Doomsday was great fun.

(and I'm not referring to that shoddy Neil Marshall film)

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 61
RE: Superman Thread - 4/9/2009 6:12:28 PM   
MI Cruise

Season 8 of Smallville is coming in DVD soon, it took every last ounce of self restraint not to watch this season when in aired on E4 earlier this year, I wanted to watch it off DVD without the hassle of adverts.
I watched Season 7 whilst I was watching Season 3 off ITV2 so I never fully understood the plot of season 7 so looks like I'll have to get that on DVD as well.

Bring on Season 9.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 62
RE: Superman Thread - 6/9/2009 11:33:41 AM   
max314

quote:

Season 8 of Smallville is coming in DVD soon, it took every last ounce of self restraint not to watch this season when in aired on E4 earlier this year, I wanted to watch it off DVD without the hassle of adverts.
I watched Season 7 whilst I was watching Season 3 off ITV2 so I never fully understood the plot of season 7 so looks like I'll have to get that on DVD as well.

Bring on Season 9.

Sky+ dude.

Just start watching 15-20 minutes in the episode and you can skip all the breaks.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 63
RE: Superman Thread - 6/9/2009 10:30:24 PM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

Bring on Season 9.

Sky+ dude.

Just start watching 15-20 minutes in the episode and you can skip all the breaks.

Unfortunately I only have regular Sky, also I prefer to watch the episodes in my own time and before you say VCR, the quality after taping isn't nearly anywhere near DVD quality and I don't have a DVD or Blu-Ray recorder.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 64
RE: Superman Thread - 6/9/2009 10:53:39 PM   
max314

Yeah, you should stick to DVDs

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 65
RE: Superman Thread - 8/9/2009 6:56:31 PM   
MI Cruise

Yeah but I'll have to wait at least 6 months for the price to fall below 20.
Still waiting to get Supergirl, I'll order it when I order something else of Play.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 8/9/2009 6:57:24 PM >

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 66
RE: Superman Thread - 25/4/2011 5:01:09 AM   
Spaldron

They shot Supes IV in Milton Keynes?! I used to watch that one as a kid because it was the only Superman film in the video library and even then I knew it was crap. I still think Superman III is great, even if its just for Richard Pryor.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 67
RE: Superman Thread - 15/7/2011 5:26:59 PM   
JIm R

Wonder how Snyder's take on it all will match up to what's gone before ?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 68
RE: Superman Thread - 16/7/2011 5:09:50 PM   
rich

Hopefully better than the last one, but I dont rate Snyder as a film maker.

Just watch Superman 2... it's fun enough but hasn't aged well and is less entertaining than when I was younger. Shame the Donner cut doesnt work so well - should have been a compromise between the two versions instead of just trying to swap out as much as possible. The first one is still great stuff.

< Message edited by rich -- 16/7/2011 5:12:12 PM >

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 69
RE: Superman Thread - 16/7/2011 6:17:15 PM   
darth silas

Superman 2 is dated(heck all the films are,they are decades old now)but its still one of the great and most fun superhero films(first one is still the best though and is a stone cold classic).I really enjoyed the Donner cut(The inclusion of Brando added a HUGE amount of gravitas to the story).

Superman 3 and 4 are deeply flawed but they have their moments.

Superman Returns is rubbish and best left forgotten.

Really looking forward to Snyders new take on the character.Chris Nolan and David Goyers involvement is a sure sign of quality and the casting so far is inspired(Kevin Costner as Pa Kent,Russell Crowe as Jor-El).

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 70
RE: Superman Thread - 19/11/2011 7:35:59 PM   
Sutty

Silas, how on earth can you say that parts 3 an 4 have their moments (which they do. Well, 3 does anyway...), but completely discount Superman Returns. Returns is flawed, perhaps Singer was far too much in love with the material to reall o it justice an was to reverential, but it is a movie that has some fantastic moments of it's own and it is beautifully shot throughout. The touching up of the costume and the score are wonderful, and the cinematography is majestic. I do think that the term "playing it safe" can be used here in relation to Returns, and some more action wouldn't have gon amiss, but to say them movie is "rubbish and best forgotton" is, in my opinion, crazy.

PS. I respect your opinion Darth, just trying to make an arguement for a "not rubbish" movie! 

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 71
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 10:21:20 AM   
NCC1701A

For me I found Superman Returns to be very long and sadly boring. Brandon Routh did a great job however.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 72
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 1:31:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

I thought Routh did a great Superman, but a pretty poor Kent to be honest. They were almost afraid to make him into a goofball again. So instead, we got Superman...with glasses. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 73
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 4:15:38 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I thought Routh did a great Superman, but a pretty poor Kent to be honest. They were almost afraid to make him into a goofball again. So instead, we got Superman...with glasses.

Your serious Girv, really ? There were lots of opportunities where he played the 'helpless and goofy Clark', for me there was a clear distinction.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 74
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 4:32:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

Your serious Girv, really ? There were lots of opportunities where he played the 'helpless and goofy Clark', for me there was a clear distinction.

I look at what Reeve was willing to do, and how far he pushed Kent into 40s screwball at times, and Routh's Kent just comes across as nervous rather than clumsy and goofy. Not to mention the Kent persona is barely in the film.

Also he didn't quite pull off the trick that Reeve did where his form seemed to change shape. Routh as Kent looked HUGE compared to everyone else, whereas Reeves somehow managed to hide that, through his performance.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 75
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 4:34:54 PM   
Rgirvan44

I should say that I don't think this was entirely the fault of Routh - I think Singer and the studio were likely afriad about how audiences would react to a properly bumbling Kent and that it would undercut Supes as a character. The problem is that Kent is the soul of Superman, and Superman is the heart of Kent. They feed into each other. In Returns it felt like Singer ascribed to Tarantino's theory that Kent was a disguise. Which I completely disagree with. 

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 20/11/2011 4:38:56 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 76
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 4:36:30 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

I look at what Reeve was willing to do, and how far he pushed Kent into 40s screwball at times, and Routh's Kent just comes across as nervous rather than clumsy and goofy. Not to mention the Kent persona is barely in the film.

Also he didn't quite pull off the trick that Reeve did where his form seemed to change shape. Routh as Kent looked HUGE compared to everyone else, whereas Reeves somehow managed to hide that, through his performance.

Wasn't Clark in Returns really supposed to be 'nervous' though, he knew he'd done wrong by leaving and was trying to make ammends and explain the pain involved and then deal with the anger of being extracted from Lois life. I thought Routh showed that well in both guises, but yeah Reeve's overall performance is outstanding and agree on the point over body shape, his physical acting with Clark was superb.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 77
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 4:40:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wasn't Clark in Returns really supposed to be 'nervous' though, he knew he'd done wrong by leaving and was trying to make ammends and explain the pain involved and then deal with the anger of being extracted from Lois life. I thought Routh showed that well in both guises, but yeah Reeve's overall performance is outstanding and agree on the point over body shape, his physical acting with Clark was superb.

I think Kent has nervous energy, and Reeve always had him tripping over his words. But his physical acting was clumsy and silly and funny - and Routh didn't go there.

You need to ace both Superman and Kent in order to have a truely great Superman performance. Routh got Supes bang on...but his Kent was simply not good enough.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 78
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 4:45:43 PM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think Kent has nervous energy, and Reeve always had him tripping over his words. But his physical acting was clumsy and silly and funny - and Routh didn't go there.

You need to ace both Superman and Kent in order to have a truely great Superman performance. Routh got Supes bang on...but his Kent was simply not good enough.

In a way that's what worries me about Man of Steel, obviously it depends on how Snyder and co plan to present the character, I don't think Cavill has a 'Clark' in him and certainly ZS doesn't have the capicity from his previous films to present a man who has the subtleties and emotional depth of Clark.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 79
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 4:53:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

Looking at how Patrick Wilson protrayed Nite Owl in Watchmen - I think Synder could actully do ok with the Kent persona. 

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 80
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 5:05:49 PM   
JIm R

quote:

Looking at how Patrick Wilson protrayed Nite Owl in Watchmen - I think Synder could actully do ok with the Kent persona.

It might work, I think Snyder's in simply on the basis that the major thought was lack of action in Returns and the one aspect ZS does well is action. I think it could be something spectacular.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 81
RE: Superman Thread - 20/11/2011 5:10:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superman-Vs-Hollywood-Producers-Directors/dp/1556527314/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1321808951&sr=8-13

This is a great book about Superman that tackles pretty much every adaptation in depth - the Superman 2 and 4 stoires are interesting, as is what happened with Supergirl and Superboy. Well worth a picking up for Christmas.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 82
RE: Superman Thread - 21/11/2011 2:00:17 AM   
Cool Breeze

Superman Returns is one of the worst comic book based films ever made.Just a complete rehash of what has gone before masquerading as a ''homage''.Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane,how could they think that was good casting? She was far too young for the part.And that Superkid nonsense? Ugh.

I feel sorry for Routh,he had the looks for Superman but lacked Reeves charisma.Besides the plane rescue,there was no really good action and the depiction of Supes as a creepy stalker was unforgivable.

Looking forward to the Snyder/Nolan reboot.Its looking very good so far.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 21/11/2011 2:02:25 AM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 83
RE: Superman Thread - 21/11/2011 2:20:11 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Superman Returns is one of the worst comic book based films ever made.Just a complete rehash of what has gone before masquerading as a ''homage''.Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane,how could they think that was good casting? She was far too young for the part.And that Superkid nonsense? Ugh.

I feel sorry for Routh,he had the looks for Superman but lacked Reeves charisma.Besides the plane rescue,there was no really good action and the depiction of Supes as a creepy stalker was unforgivable.

Looking forward to the Snyder/Nolan reboot.Its looking very good so far.

You hate Daniel Craig as Bond and now you hate Superman Returns. You sure you're definitely "Cool Breeze"?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 84
RE: Superman Thread - 21/11/2011 8:37:43 PM   
Sutty

Never got this notion of people seeing Supes in Superman Returns as a stalker. That is not what its about at all.

And it was not a complete rehash of what went before. Yeah, there were homages but so what? It is nowhere near the worst comic book movie of all time. Even if you look upon it as a poor film - which i don't - it is made superbly. And it carries within it many themes and incidents not seen in a Superman movie before.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 85
RE: Superman Thread - 22/11/2011 12:16:03 AM   
rich

Lex Luthor plans to kill millions with a disaster event in an attempt to generate real estate. This is the plot, so you can imagine people being slightly bemused. There's a crime fighting montage, Supes lifts a few heavy objects and Lex's flunkies screw things up. Rehash is pretty much correct. The only real homage was the intro credits. I didn't hate this movie, it was just sort of pointless.

As for the stalker thing - I don't know. He follows her around and stares through some windows. More odd is that the stupid kid thing is never even questioned by Lois, so considering she has no memory of that particular ... event you'd expect her to be a little more worried.

< Message edited by rich -- 22/11/2011 12:19:14 AM >

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 86
RE: Superman Thread - 22/11/2011 12:52:11 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

I know this won't go well. But I really like Superman Returns. It's flawed as fuck (Bosworth was awful) but it was just so beautiful to look at and had some wonderful moments.

Routh was great, Parker Posey ran away wit the whole film, tye opening scenes were fun. Admittedly the whole "land" plot was a bit pony, but if I am honest the pianao/superkid scene was (the first time round) fucking awesome

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 87
RE: Superman Thread - 22/11/2011 10:06:20 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

I know this won't go well. But I really like Superman Returns. It's flawed as fuck (Bosworth was awful) but it was just so beautiful to look at and had some wonderful moments.

Routh was great, Parker Posey ran away wit the whole film, tye opening scenes were fun. Admittedly the whole "land" plot was a bit pony, but if I am honest the pianao/superkid scene was (the first time round) fucking awesome

I love Superman Returns, said it many times on these boards. Yes, elements are not strong but the whole for me is awesome.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 88
RE: Superman Thread - 22/11/2011 11:24:02 AM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

With you on the piano scene - I never really took that much offence at the whole Superkid thing. I think it may have even gone on to be an interesting sequel if they had stuck with it. I also agree that Bosworth was awful and Routh was a great Superman (it's such a shame he didn't get another crack at it).

But I will have to disagree (big time) on Parker Posey running away with the film! Or were you being sarcastic?? I personally feel that she couldn't act her way out of a paper bag, and was in fact worse than Bosworth! Admittedly I haven't seen her in much but what I have seen her in she has basically just played a sarcastic, beligerant non-entity of a character, that just does nothing more than annoy me! Each to their own though......

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 89
RE: Superman Thread - 22/11/2011 1:34:17 PM   
Rgirvan44

The tone was all over the place. On the one hand you had Superman being fun and charming, and the music being all upbeat. But on the other hand, the movies colour grading was grey. It looked like they filmed it in Glasgow.

Then you kick off the film with a weird sexual thing with Lex and an old lady - which just felt out of place. The beating Superman gets is as far away from comic books as possible, and reaches around to be cruel. Remember, this is a movie which is suppose to link up with the first two Superman films. This is suppose to be in the Richard Donner universe. These things feel like they have trampled in from another movie.

Everything feels off balance - I think this is connected to my point about the Kent character. The filmmakers talked about how much they wanted to make a film in the Donner universe, but you constantly see them trying to run away from the light, fun feeling that those films had, even in their darkest moments. They weren't confident that audiences would respond to light and fun, when the best character moment in the film is Superman telling the plane passangers about how safe air travel is. That is the only moment that feels like it comes from the Donner world. And it should, being as it is cribbed from the first film.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Superman Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI