Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Avatar

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Avatar Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Avatar - 21/8/2009 11:21:06 PM   
Scruffybobby

Right well, having now seen proper footage (HD 3D and all that) on a cinema screen I have to say - is that it? It was good sure and I'll be seeing it when it comes out but I - and at least a cuple of others -  remained resolutely unstunned. The live action stuff looked good but it didn't really mix too well with the animated stuff. Which in itself looks lovely but wasn't really any more impressive in terms of 3D than Ice Age 3.  This could yet prove to be the best 3D effort so far but it won't live up to the impossible expectations that Cameron has been fostering. Shame really.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 241
ALL ABOUT THE STORY - 21/8/2009 11:47:42 PM   
snakeboots

Although it didnt have the wow factor i was expecting it looks neat. He knows how to drive an action film knowing Aliens and T2 is still the benchmark. I think Cameron has/will produce the goods. Anyways its only the teaser trailer just wait til the big kahuna hits us in a month or two!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 242
RE: Avatar - 21/8/2009 11:48:43 PM   
BobM70

It looks fine, as long as the story is good we'll have a great film. But....it doesn't look like it's gonna be the revolution Cameron says it is. It actually does look like a very well made cutscene in a computergame. 3D or not: we won't forget it is CGI just yet. It maybe a next step in cinema but not that huge a step to call it revolutionary.
It all seems a wonderful ochestrated piece of marketing.

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 243
RE: Avatar - 22/8/2009 12:37:38 AM   
DouglasG

Scruffybobby, you were at the Edinburgh showing, 6:30 right? Couldn't say I saw ya because I don't know what you look like.  There was a bunch of people talking about how shit Slumdog was. Well, one girl, but were you around them?  The girl just butted in on the conversation and said the movie was utter shit!

Anyway, I thought the footage was mindblowing! Blows the trailer out of the water and looked gorgeous. Sure, some of the dialogue was cheesy but the experience was exhilirating on the whole.  

Journalism Student and Film Festival Programmer

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 244
Huh? - 22/8/2009 2:06:14 AM   
batmagnet

I'm just going to say this:
WHAT THE FUCK?

Post #: 245
RE: Avatar - 22/8/2009 6:55:50 AM   
Kai_J

Those stills from the trailer... wow! I don't know why, but they- the blue dudes, are they the avatars? Or is the avatar referring to the human who's using the alien's body?? Anyway- once you have the chance to focus, they look sooooo much better- now I'm beginning to think that this could live up to the 10-year-hype

Greetings, my friend! We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Post #: 246
RE: Avatar - 22/8/2009 10:09:14 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: DouglasG

Scruffybobby, you were at the Edinburgh showing, 6:30 right? Couldn't say I saw ya because I don't know what you look like.  There was a bunch of people talking about how shit Slumdog was. Well, one girl, but were you around them?  The girl just butted in on the conversation and said the movie was utter shit!

Anyway, I thought the footage was mindblowing! Blows the trailer out of the water and looked gorgeous. Sure, some of the dialogue was cheesy but the experience was exhilirating on the whole.  

I was at the right hand side with a mate. The dude from Fox seemed a bit lost at the end when no-one applauded or anything, his "tell your frineds" spiel wasn't that convincing. Still glad you liked it, I wasn't blown away but I was impressed enough to want to see the whole thing.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to DouglasG)
Post #: 247
RE: Avatar - 22/8/2009 10:43:25 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby
The dude from Fox seemed a bit lost at the end when no-one applauded or anything

Really? I wondered if our audience would, but there was a resounding round of applause at the end (Manchester Printworks)

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

Post #: 248
RE: Avatar - 22/8/2009 12:56:09 PM   
DouglasG

I was expecting an applause, but didn't really see the point, Cameron wasn't there.

Also, I liked how small our theatre was, I was expecting a massive auditorium but it felt all the more special that it was just a small amount of people.

Journalism Student and Film Festival Programmer

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 249
RE: Avatar - 22/8/2009 1:37:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

No applause at the end of the showing I was at either. Didn't help that the sound cut out after the first clip and they had to start again.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DouglasG)
Post #: 250
er....what??? - 22/8/2009 1:55:31 PM   
mikeeo2

Am I missng something?????

Post #: 251
- 22/8/2009 2:39:43 PM   
VijayUK

Looks like a Pixar animation...for those who are hoping, it will not be Aliens/T2.

Post #: 252
Try and do better - 22/8/2009 3:35:03 PM   
Hippolyte

I think its gonna blow our minds! The trailer is expertly put together (one clip of speech amongst two minutes of action wow) he knows how to keep us on the edge of the seat!! As long as he maintains this edge in the story to accompany the special effects we will be eating our anxious words

Post #: 253
RE: Avatar Trailer Hits - 22/8/2009 5:45:06 PM   
gefo

After seeing T2 and Aliens, I believed Cameron when he claimed that Avatar is worth waiting for and will change the game etc., but I'm afraid this is not the case.

I was honestly expecting to see the trailer and try to figure out which were the live actors and which the CG ones.

Apart from the stereoscopic aspect of the film, JC has been emphatically mentioning the photorealism of the environments and the characters.

He said in an interview 'people should not be thinking that was live action and that was CG'. Not only this is not the case with the trailer, but the live actors are completely, ahem, 'alien' in the CG environments, next to the CG thespians. Even the metallic robot that is standing next to Worthington in the wheelchair, when he comes out of the plane, looks painfully CG. A counter example are the robots in Matrix  Revolutions which were photorealistic.

Think of Gollum, or almost everything CG in the lord of the rings trilogy for that matter, and even the t-rex of 1993's Jurassic Park. These are great examples of photorealism. You forget about the technical elements and the CG and completely believe in the characters. They still make the experience immersive, without being stereoscopic.

The avatars in the trailer, as well as the other CG elements, are not photorealistic as promised, that's for sure.

In another interview JC said 'The film should not be marketed first and  foremost as a 3-D experience', but everyone that has seen the stereoscopic footage said that the movie is better in 3-D compared to the underwhelming 2D  teaser trailer. So I am afraid that it could be first and foremost a 3-D experience.
JC has been saying how he wanted his film to be and be accepted, but I think it's far from what we've been promised it to be. He's been completely misleading.

We shouldn't say anything about the story though, since we haven't seen the film yet.

I'll still see it, but my expectations and excitement have all disappeared.

< Message edited by gefo -- 22/8/2009 5:48:51 PM >

Post #: 254
RE: Avatar Trailer Hits - 22/8/2009 6:17:05 PM   
Jasper_29

When James Cameron announced, years ago, that his next film was going to be a sci-fi love story between 10-foot tall blue aliens, I thought he was kidding.

I was really surprised by the trailer. The first couple of shots are absolutely wonderful, and then Jake comes out of the airplane in his wheelchair and everything looks out of focus, like a video game. Then there's an awkward montage of iffy effects and blurry backgrounds, concluded by an odd shot of two blue creatures, well, kissing. The trailer makes James Cameron's movie look like a Dances With Wolves wannabe with sensibilities of George Lucas' Star Wars prequels and Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Haven't seen the 25 minutes of footage and I'm not going to. I'm gonna see the film anyway and I'm confident it will be great entertainment for the whole family. But I'm starting to get teh feeling this isn't the classic I hoped it would be.

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to gefo)
Post #: 255
what - 22/8/2009 9:45:12 PM   
Maddogbifftannen

this looks shocking, more CGI bullshit well done

Post #: 256
RE: Avatar - 23/8/2009 3:40:55 PM   
benyooro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

No applause at the end of the showing I was at either. Didn't help that the sound cut out after the first clip and they had to start again.

Were you in the Glasgow Cineworld too? What a mood killer that was!

Umpoo.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 257
CG-itis - 23/8/2009 9:24:00 PM   
idavid

Looking good, but did I see CGI horses there for a second?! Running in a distinctly CGI-horsey kind of way? They'll regret that.

Post #: 258
CG-itis - 23/8/2009 9:30:02 PM   
idavid

Looking good, but did I see CGI horses there for a second?! Running in a distinctly CGI-horsey kind of way? They'll regret that.

Post #: 259
- 24/8/2009 2:18:30 AM   
RAJEEVSHETTY

Looks less realistic than Starship Troopers and that was ten years ago.............

When will these bloody directors learn- mix up minimal CGI with live action and you get a proper look (is there any better example than T2!)

Post #: 260
People are so dumb sometimes ... - 24/8/2009 9:28:28 AM   
Nicky C

... because that's clearly the best use of CG I've ever seen. You're forgetting that Starship Troopers was shot in the desert and the creatures were added in later. A lot of the shots in this trailer are entirely CG because they had to create a whole world! Look at the detail! It's bursting with activity.

Post #: 261
RE: Avatar Trailer Hits - 24/8/2009 10:25:40 AM   
shool

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

Predictably this thread is already filled with comments from people who want nothing more than the chance to say how shit they think this film look, which is pretty funny when you think about it, since most of those people will probably end up downloading some pirate version, watching it on their computer, complimenting themselves that they sure had pegged Avatar for what it was, a director returning with a new film, a super-hyped film, but a shit film. I don't really give a fuck, I just think it's funny. Obviously I'm not saying that everyone who posts derogatory comments about the trailer is one of the above mentioned douchebags, the film is definitely not going to be for everyone. The lame Star Wars prequels comparisons are so obvious it makes my skin crawl, the moaning internet fucknut so predictable it hurts. As for me, well I liked the trailer very much, as such I don't think any trailer could give the true idea of what the experience is gonna be like, but it was a good indication of what to hope for. I liked that there was no score blaring over the glimpses, the world looks lush and appealing and I gotta say I loved the look of the Navi themselves. Still looking forward to this one immensely.
Oh, and props to Cameron for putting Stephen Lang in this film.

Nice one Kaz. Spot on.

I thought it looked pretty awesome. I'm very excited.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 262
- 24/8/2009 11:03:40 AM   
Mr Tibbs

Shut up, it looks amazing and you know it. It WILL be fantastic. Although putting 'From the Director of Titanic' may not encourage some people....

Post #: 263
RE: Avatar Trailer Hits - 24/8/2009 11:08:41 AM   
BobM70

What's wrong with people saying it is rather disappointing? Cameron himself raised the expectationlevel to new heights. It really does look very nice, but nowhere near the perfection he himself claimed. So you can expect the backlash.

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 264
- 24/8/2009 12:00:57 PM   
dunstabledoug

Hmmm, so we can send spaceships across the universe to colonise other planets and set up mind links with alien species in order to control them but the the hero still has to push himself around in a wheelchair. For God's sake get the man a mobility scooter. Or make sure that the wheelchair's explained away in the film....

Post #: 265
Looks pretty... - 24/8/2009 2:18:30 PM   
leroythemasochist

but let's hope that's not all it is!
Definate shades of Ep1 here.
and why are these aliens blue? they live on a green planet don't they? shouldn't they be, oh I dunno, GREEN?

Post #: 266
Micheal Turners's Ekos and Soulfire anybody? - 24/8/2009 3:54:37 PM   
Big Red

I liked the trailer. It's not quite what I was expecting but I got more excited looking back on it. But I will say that it very much reminded me of the stuff product by the late comic book artist Michael Turner, expecially Ekos.

Post #: 267
WIND YOUR NECKS IN!!! - 24/8/2009 4:59:37 PM   
Shaunyboy27

Look . . . The trailer does not have the affects we were promised. But it still does look like a major film. We're all still going to see it! And when we do it'll be in 3D. That's when we can make our real judgement on it cause right now you overly sensitive critics are being far too harsh. It's like someone has stolen your favourite sweet!

Post #: 268
RE: CG-itis. - 25/8/2009 1:47:06 PM   
Mopictures

That's funny. Come December you'll probably regret that sentence.

Post #: 269
In 3D it's awesome - 25/8/2009 2:22:06 PM   
Gordon MacD

All the people slagging it off will eat their words when they see it in 3-D - i've seen a some footage and it is absolutely stunning. there is so much depth that you'll be able to watch it over and over again and see something new. Whether the story + script hold up is another matter!

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Avatar Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI