Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

ooo.... kay....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> ooo.... kay.... Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ooo.... kay.... - 21/8/2009 12:59:30 PM   
drawmyfoot

Dire horses? Unobtanium?!? Oh dear. After Titanic cameron had a lot to prove, to me at least, and on the strength of these clangers I'm not hopeful. Pretty pictures just aren't enough.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 211
RE: ooo.... kay.... - 21/8/2009 1:22:53 PM   
spamandham

At the risk of enraging the fanbois, i to thought that trailer was very very underwhelming. Whoever name-checked the battle of Kashyyyk was dead on, right down to the shot set ups, for example the downwards shot of the wing of helicopters breaking off for an attack run.

The motion cap/ animation looked bad at points too, again other people noticed the worthington in a wheelchair shot; could've been from a ps3 game. The exoskeleton / power armour things just plain sucked (looked like they were constructed using lego), Ripley's cargo loader looked less dorky than those! And the Navi? Looked like a cross between jarjar binks, a shaven wookie, and a smurf (forgot to say they even have bloody dreadlocks).

If at any point in the film (yes i'm still going to watch it, even if it turns out to be a turkey) one of 'em starts talking in a mangled rastafarian accent, i'm outta there!

The people mentioning 3D don't really have much of a point, a giant dragonfly attacking a hover-copter thingy is still a giant dragonfly attacking a hover-copter thingy, no matter which way you slice it. 2D - 3D doesn't address animation, mo-cap etc.

How is this film ground breaking/ envelope pushing in any way? The only ace up it's sleeve is 3D, and that's just a gimmick trying to be introduced into films in order reduce file-sharing / 'pirating'.

< Message edited by spamandham -- 21/8/2009 2:35:41 PM >

(in reply to drawmyfoot)
Post #: 212
RE: ooo.... kay.... - 21/8/2009 1:36:23 PM   
pablohoolio

There's a shot in the teaser trailer, that mirrors a shot in Revenge of the Sith almost exactly. The Utapau battle, there is a shot of a rider and mount, swooping down into the hollow, and this looks very simliar at times, just more vast.

It does look good, just not as earth shatteringly astonishing as Empire made out. As for the CGI, it's fair to say that there has been better in the last few years, especially shots like Worthington in his wheelchair coming out of the ship.

There's nothing to slag off or hate about this though, it's just not as unbelievable as advance word was. In 3D, it'll be superb though.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to spamandham)
Post #: 213
RE: Lesson - 21/8/2009 1:43:59 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE
quote:

ORIGINAL: MoBiUGeArSkIn
I don't honestly see how anyone can say it looks at all bad.

It LOOKS incredible! Some of the best CGI to ever grace the medium.

Compared to Davy Jones in POTC, the Na'avi don't look real at all.

Got to agree with this 100%. Davey Jones is still far and away the best CGI character on screen, and these don't look half as well lit or textured.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 214
RE: ooo.... kay.... - 21/8/2009 2:09:14 PM   
drawmyfoot

quote:

There's nothing to slag off or hate about this though, it's just not as unbelievable as advance word was.

Nail on the head, right there. All the huge hype has really hurt this in my humble opinion. It was never gonna deliver to that level of exoectation but this is further under par than I'd hoped it would be.

My face is my fortune. Can I borrow a fiver...?

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 215
RE: Lesson - 21/8/2009 2:10:49 PM   
Hicks62

I'll start by echoing comments already made, this very much looks like a Star Wars prequel.  Also as stated above many times, I do hope further rendering/3D magic results in a great film.

But my gripe is that it's a very by-the-numbers trailer from a purely constructive, marketing angle, given the size of the project and the expectations levelled against it.  It's the standard, sum up the plot quickly and shove out the title after some action beats thing, which is fine, but for something like this, I really expected something a little more distintive.  Nothing about it grabs me, it has no real resonance, and so that from that perspective, I consider it a letdown.

*Edited - twice no less, typo city today.*

< Message edited by Hicks62 -- 21/8/2009 3:06:18 PM >

"Play it sometime. Crank it all the way up on one of those huge obsolete wire-burning MacIntosh amps and 80 custom-built speakers. Then stand back somewhere on the mainbeams of a big log house and feel the music come up through your femurs . . . ho, ho. . . . and after that you can always say, for sure, that you once knew what it was like to hear men play rock 'n' roll music ."

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 216
Calm Down Dear, It's only a commercial - 21/8/2009 2:27:14 PM   
coolasice2001uk

Lets take a step back for a min and look at the big picture here, we've seen a 2min Teaser Trailer on a computer screen. Yes I agree i was a little dissapointed when i first saw the footage too but i reminded myself that the film is still in development and isnt out for another 4 months so alot will change. I remember when the King Kong trailer first debuted and i remember think "Oh No what have they done" Kong to me looked unconvincing and computer gamey, however then the film came out and wow, the best CGI i have seen to date, so come on give it a chance here. tweaks and polishing will go on to the last hour of release as is the case for alot movies.

Al

P.S im off to see the 15min preview later today on a big screen so i guess that will give a better indecation of what to expect. I'll report back

Post #: 217
RE: Avatar Trailer Hits - 21/8/2009 2:32:41 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

Predictably this thread is already filled with comments from people who want nothing more than the chance to say how shit they think this film look, which is pretty funny when you think about it, since most of those people will probably end up downloading some pirate version, watching it on their computer, complimenting themselves that they sure had pegged Avatar for what it was, a director returning with a new film, a super-hyped film, but a shit film. I don't really give a fuck, I just think it's funny. Obviously I'm not saying that everyone who posts derogatory comments about the trailer is one of the above mentioned douchebags, the film is definitely not going to be for everyone. The lame Star Wars prequels comparisons are so obvious it makes my skin crawl, the moaning internet fucknut so predictable it hurts. As for me, well I liked the trailer very much, as such I don't think any trailer could give the true idea of what the experience is gonna be like, but it was a good indication of what to hope for. I liked that there was no score blaring over the glimpses, the world looks lush and appealing and I gotta say I loved the look of the Navi themselves. Still looking forward to this one immensely.
Oh, and props to Cameron for putting Stephen Lang in this film.

Sorry Kaz but it did remind me of the Star wars prequels (but heck I liked the last 20 minutes of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith for all it's flaws) and the trailer which the poeple are commenting here is incredibly disappointing. 12 years have passed since the director's last film and we recieved a lot of hype from the team so what I got here was just disappointing. Of course, it's a trailer and the ending result could be great. I didn't like the Navi and it seemed it would have worked better in 2D animation than in realistic CGI.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 218
RE: Avatar Trailer Hits - 21/8/2009 2:54:10 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya

Predictably this thread is already filled with comments from people who want nothing more than the chance to say how shit they think this film look, which is pretty funny when you think about it, since most of those people will probably end up downloading some pirate version, watching it on their computer, complimenting themselves that they sure had pegged Avatar for what it was, a director returning with a new film, a super-hyped film, but a shit film. I don't really give a fuck, I just think it's funny. Obviously I'm not saying that everyone who posts derogatory comments about the trailer is one of the above mentioned douchebags, the film is definitely not going to be for everyone. The lame Star Wars prequels comparisons are so obvious it makes my skin crawl, the moaning internet fucknut so predictable it hurts. As for me, well I liked the trailer very much, as such I don't think any trailer could give the true idea of what the experience is gonna be like, but it was a good indication of what to hope for. I liked that there was no score blaring over the glimpses, the world looks lush and appealing and I gotta say I loved the look of the Navi themselves. Still looking forward to this one immensely.
Oh, and props to Cameron for putting Stephen Lang in this film.

Sorry Kaz but it did remind me of the Star wars prequels (but heck I liked the last 20 minutes of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith for all it's flaws) and the trailer which the poeple are commenting here is incredibly disappointing. 12 years have passed since the director's last film and we recieved a lot of hype from the team so what I got here was just disappointing. Of course, it's a trailer and the ending result could be great. I didn't like the Navi and it seemed it would have worked better in 2D animation than in realistic CGI.

Yeah, it seems like it reminds a lot of people on here of the SW prequels, which of course was inevitable. I honestly think a lot of people posting on here saw the teaser poster for the film when it was released and almost came in their pants thinking that this was gonna be the new Phantom Menace, a whole host of new Jar-Jars, what have you, for them to flame. There were a couple of shots in the trailer that were reminiscant of certain skirmishes in the SW prequels, but I don't see how it could be considered a problem either way, ILM did the effects for those, state-of-the-art effects, any comparison, purely effects based, should be positive. But it isn't. Instead it's the same predictable babble. I'll keep an open mind about the film, I wasn't blown away by the trailer but I thought it was fine, and as I mentioned in the earlier post, any trailer released can't give the full idea anyway. As for the hype, it really seems to piss people off, huh? Don't climb to close to heaven and all that.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 219
RE: Avatar Trailer Hits - 21/8/2009 3:03:07 PM   
sanchia

It looked ok but nothing special. The character design is so so and it gives a basic idea of the plot which doesn't look like it will be anything particularly groundbreaking. At this time it looks like an ok film but nothing particularly special.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 220
RE: ooo.... kay.... - 21/8/2009 4:01:05 PM   
kumar

Ive slept on it, watched it again in hi def and i think it is great. Some of the shots do look great and in terms of photorealism, some of the closer shots of the faces look very good. Looks like a great film in progress and I cant wait for the final result- but as I said before im glad i didnt get swept up in the height before hand.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to drawmyfoot)
Post #: 221
RE: ooo.... kay.... - 21/8/2009 4:06:43 PM   
Tank Boy

Golly. That was a letdown. Blue Jar Jars abound.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 222
RE: ooo.... kay.... - 21/8/2009 4:06:53 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Ive slept on it, watched it again in hi def and i think it is great. Some of the shots do look great and in terms of photorealism, some of the closer shots of the faces look very good. Looks like a great film in progress and I cant wait for the final result- but as I said before im glad i didnt get swept up in the height before hand.

I'm sure the hype really hit you out of left-field while you were trying to avoid the height, no?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 223
Ohh dear.... - 21/8/2009 4:20:06 PM   
MartyW

I was so excited to see the first trailer of James Cameron's long awaited anticipated movie since Titanic and as it turns out, looks like another episode of Star Wars Clone Wars....

Post #: 224
RE: RE: - 21/8/2009 4:20:54 PM   
Dan Hughes

I think it looks decent, revolutionary perhaps but I'll wait and see it in the cinema where it is meant to be revolutionary before I pass judgement. It looks like an original story coming out of Hollywood and that for me is revolutionary in itself! I think the CGI looks great, the world looks wonderfully realised and that the plot should be satisfying with romance and battles. I'm more sold on this than I am on the average film release that's for sure.

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 225
RE: RE: - 21/8/2009 4:31:48 PM   
Wilbert

I think the biggest problem with this is down to Cameron's own hyping of the film for so long in advance. If he had just said nothing about it and kept the same level of secrecy more people would have been blown away. Except....he had to bang on about it being the future of cinema and get everyones expectations way, way too high.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Dan Hughes)
Post #: 226
Not bad - 21/8/2009 4:36:49 PM   
Andybee76

I don't think this looks that bad at all!! I can't see why people are saying it will be crap when they haven't seen it yet!!! Let's reserve judgment for the big screen and 3D!!!!

Post #: 227
RE: RE: - 21/8/2009 4:39:20 PM   
kenada_woo

Its just a poor teaser trailer.

You want a teaser trailer?  Remember this bad boy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmX7rEhbEgU

Or the proper trailer -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0On9Hf7Quc

The Avatar teaser needed to kick you balls into space with aniticipation.  I'll probably get rolled up in the hype further to the release but it is a poor teaser.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 228
RE: RE: - 21/8/2009 4:40:52 PM   
Wilbert

I don't think it looks crap but it hasn't lived up to Cameron's own hype.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 229
RE: ooo.... kay.... - 21/8/2009 5:06:18 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

I'm sure the hype really hit you out of left-field while you were trying to avoid the height, no?

Of course I meant height Pigeon, its just another way of saying hype actually.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 230
- 21/8/2009 5:22:32 PM   
bretmicheles

Now I know what Delgo would look like if it had a $300 million budget. And to think that Delgo lost money! I love James Cameron, but I expect much more from him than a rip-off of an independent CG film.

http://img.denihilation.com/

Post #: 231
More Cheese than Chills - 21/8/2009 5:45:35 PM   
Gab and Dad

I was underwhelmed; but I'll reserve final judgement until it's big screen & sound. My 7yr.-old son seemed impressed, though - see his reaction at: www.youtube.com/gabndad ("Max reacts to Avatar trailer!)

Post #: 232
RE: - 21/8/2009 5:53:53 PM   
kenada_woo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretmicheles

Now I know what Delgo would look like if it had a $300 million budget. And to think that Delgo lost money! I love James Cameron, but I expect much more from him than a rip-off of an independent CG film.

http://img.denihilation.com/

That real?    That is funny if it is.

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to bretmicheles)
Post #: 233
the evolved smurf. - 21/8/2009 6:42:57 PM   
billkiller

I used to think 'underwhelmed' was an under rated word.
Now I'm just sick and tired of reading it.
I thought the trailer looked great. I think some people are expecting a hand to reach out to them in glorious IMAX 3D and hand 'em a fiver. Yes Yes Yes it's all be done before. but watching a trailer on apple.com isn't the same as watching it in IMAX 3D.

Question: don't they look like evolved smurfs?

Post #: 234
RE: the evolved smurf. - 21/8/2009 9:12:20 PM   
Drone

Oh James, what have you done!?

I have been the most vocal supporter of Avatar, giving my unwaivering support and total confidence this will be a smash, and who knows, maybe it will topple Titanic.  I feel like I just watched a trailer for "Final Fatnatsy the Spirits Within" or something.

I'm a huge Cameron fan, but I'm afraid I have to say.........

MEH.

HOW disappointing.  Still, I'm optimistic. 

(in reply to billkiller)
Post #: 235
errrrr.... - 21/8/2009 9:26:33 PM   
bruceme

is THIS what you've been talking endlessly about since 2007?
ha ha... It looks rather..... silly.

Post #: 236
ploppyx

I just can't wait until digital high definition cinema comes to town. This looks fantastic. Another great thrill ride. This is why film-makers should be making original films and not re-makes. Kudos to James Cameron. CANNOT WAIT for the Blu Ray version so I can watch it on my 40 inch Full HD Samsung in awe.

Post #: 237
RE: Avatar - 21/8/2009 10:49:41 PM   
CORLEONE

To anyone who has watched this on a PC monitor, and thought 'meh' (like I initially did), it is now available to view on Xbox Live. I have watched it now on a 50in HDTV and it gets better everytime. The IMAX experience might just be Earth shattering

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to ploppyx)
Post #: 238
RE: Avatar - 21/8/2009 11:06:54 PM   
Rgirvan44

Well I saw it in 3D this evening and it did look MUCH better than in the trailer, but it still looked like the MOST EXPENSIVE CARTOON EVER.

You know what I think the problem is? Its not the effects, it is the "fake" way that the camera moves that sells the effects short. It has that gloss you have come to expect from these sort of films, but I think the language of effects has started to shift. Restraint seems to be becoming more common place.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 239
RE: the evolved smurf. - 21/8/2009 11:18:13 PM   
24Dan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drone

MEH.

HOW disappointing.  Still, I'm optimistic. 

Professional Analrapist

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> ooo.... kay.... Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI