Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Cameron is a George Lucas-Wannabe

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cameron is a George Lucas-Wannabe Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cameron is a George Lucas-Wannabe - 20/8/2009 8:42:59 PM   
Mister Knightley

Avatar will never get close to the Star Wars Saga or even the Matrix-Trilogy! He is much to in love with CGI and can't tell a good story. "Aliens" was terrible too. One of the worst Sequels of all time! Not Size matters - Plot matters!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 151
yawn!!! - 20/8/2009 8:48:32 PM   
cindar

just from a 2 minute trailer ive figured out the entire story of the film, and its 3 hours long!? that is going to be a very long 3 hours.

Post #: 152
Is that it?! - 20/8/2009 8:51:45 PM   
Porter

I've been hearing about this film for over a year now, and was expecting a Cameron-sized surprise. This was my reaction:

"It looks f**king awful! It's a trailer for a computer game! There's no audible dialogue, and yet I think I've figured out the whole predictable plot just by watching this soundless cartoon! Lucas is about to shank my dreams all over again by using a Cameron Avatar to slide this crappy-looking dud into cinemas!"

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Post #: 153
yawn!!! - 20/8/2009 8:54:58 PM   
cindar

there are visual effects bars raised in cinema every so often, t2, jurassic park, the matrix, transformers. this however is not going to be one of them. it all looks familiar, like youve seen everything before but in seperate movies only now there all in one and dont look as good.

Post #: 154
RE: yawn!!! - 20/8/2009 8:57:10 PM   
rayhiggins

Nah, not doing it for me. Love Aliens, Terminator 2 and the lot but...meh. Hope District 9 delivers, otherwise my sci-fi hopes for the year are decimated.

(in reply to cindar)
Post #: 155
RE: yawn!!! - 20/8/2009 9:02:16 PM   
Scott_

It looks fantastic, the effects are great but they'll proably looks better in 3D. The scale of the film looks to be HUGE! It's gonna be awesome. I think alot of people are judging this too harshly when it's only a sneak peak of a film thats still a good four months away.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to rayhiggins)
Post #: 156
RE: Avatar Trailer Hits - 20/8/2009 9:02:48 PM   
demoncleaner

Let's not be unnecessarily cruel.  But I think everyone would find it slightly funny if this was wank.  You know, the massive creative ego of Cameron who imposed a self-exile on himself that no one wanted, cosseted himself away for the self-import of this film, prouder than punch with the technology he was to give to the world and accordant liberation he was to donate to other film makers...and all I can think of is

[image]http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/150x180/36021.jpg[/image]
...I'm pretty sure I went to school with that guy

EDIT:  Well even if you don't get the picture...ya get the picture.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 20/8/2009 9:04:01 PM >

Post #: 157
district 9 - 20/8/2009 9:07:32 PM   
cindar

if your pinning your sci-fi hopes on district 9, dont. this film didnt have a clue what it wanted to be, comedy, serious, documentary, it was all over the place. it wasnt good, it wasnt bad. for the first time ever after watching a film i felt nothing, not a thing.

Post #: 158
Lesson - 20/8/2009 9:09:23 PM   
driesthomas

Let this be a lesson for every director out there. If you want to create high hopes, you'll have to make sure you got something that can live up to those high expectations. In the case of Avatar, it didn't live up to the expectations.

"If you like this, you should see the trailer of EA SPORTS' FIFA 10"

Post #: 159
Lesson - 20/8/2009 9:11:18 PM   
driesthomas

Let this be a lesson for every director out there. If you want to create high hopes, you'll have to make sure you got something that can live up to those high expectations. In the case of Avatar, it didn't live up to the expectations.

"If you like this, you should see the trailer of EA SPORTS' FIFA 10"

Post #: 160
RE: Lesson - 20/8/2009 9:22:40 PM   
skeletonjack

I was surprised by how cartoony it all looked, and like others have said it looks a lot like the Star Wars prequels. If CGI effects look like CGI effects then they dont do it for me. Hopefully they will be more realistically rendered by the time it arrives

(in reply to driesthomas)
Post #: 161
RE: Lesson - 20/8/2009 9:39:39 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

I don't honestly see how anyone can say it looks at all bad.

It LOOKS incredible! Some of the best CGI to ever grace the medium.

These blue alien things look 100% believable when glimpsed in real world locations here, and 100% believable in the fabricated environment, which itself looks utterly tangible and full of life.

People should also bare in mind that rather than looking at this and thinking to themselves "this looks like badass CGI"... it's not just badass CGI. How many of you saw Beowulf in Imax 3D?

I did... it was one of the best cinematic experiences of my life!

The Imax 3D format is incredible and with visuals like this, mixed with technology like that... this film is going to blow people away technically, and likely change the way people think about the SFX blockbuster. After this people are going to want every event movie to be in 3D.

EDIT - And to all the people saying "it looks like a videogame"... do you fools even play videogames? I do. I play loads. And if videogames looked as good as this we'd probably be 2 or 3 generations ahead of the current hardware. Not even the best looking videogames available today look as good as this, not by a HUGE margin.

< Message edited by MoBiUGeArSkIn -- 20/8/2009 9:45:00 PM >

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to skeletonjack)
Post #: 162
If you haven't buffered, don't try and play. - 20/8/2009 9:43:26 PM   
cradlefish

It does indeed look amazing. Not that I managed to actually watch it properly thank you Apple. Just because I haven't bent over backwards and shelled out for one of your overpriced machines doesn't mean you have to take it out on me by not playing the trailer properly. If you haven't finished buffering DON'T TRY AND PLAY!!!! STUPID STUPID STUPID! My PC is BRAND NEW. There is no excuse. Thank you Empire for doing a breakdown - Apple obviously don't want me to see this film....

Post #: 163
Underwhelming - 20/8/2009 10:00:48 PM   
Evil_Monkey25

Sure this film looks pretty, lots of action and an interesting concept. It's not a trailer for a bad film at all. However, considering how much the effects of this film and how 'groundbreaking' it was all supposed to be, the trailer is something of a let-down. It doesn't look any different to some of the more advanced technology we've seen already. Are the Na'vi effects better than Gollum, for example? I can't say that they look much different.

I'm sure there'll be more rendering between now and release, although I remember saying that about The Incredible Hulk. But if this is supposed to be the future of cinema, then I think George Lucas and Jar Jar Binks can rest easy in their beds (because I'm sorry, but there's a certain something familiar about those gangly alien frames...)

Post #: 164
RE: Lesson - 20/8/2009 10:06:48 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: MoBiUGeArSkIn

Compared to Davy Jones in POTC, the Na'avi don't look real at all.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to MoBiUGeArSkIn)
Post #: 165
RE: Looks very cool - 20/8/2009 10:10:29 PM   
Big K

Jesus christ..! Why so many nay-sayers?? Don't get it and forgot we live in a world of pyscics who can figure out a three hour film plot in 2 mins.. If ur gonna winge then its easy, dont go watch it..! How can u judge whether a supposed groundbreaking 3D film is gonna be any good on a 2D trailer???? Give it a chance

(in reply to TheHazman)
Post #: 166
HE MADE ALIENS!!!! - 20/8/2009 10:28:56 PM   
edward1984

It seems like James Cameron left his bottle in the 80's

Post #: 167
RE: Looks very cool - 20/8/2009 10:44:48 PM   
sam89

I think that the shot of the Na'vi sitting on the table looks 100% realistic. I was also surprised by how much better the effects looked when I saw the trailer on BBC News. I guess it's the bigger screen that does it.

(in reply to Big K)
Post #: 168
Turkey - 20/8/2009 10:55:21 PM   
zpider242

I'm surprised after all the hype they would release a trailer that looks this bad. Most of the rendering is OK but it's the physics that looks all wrong, the way things move. As other folk have said, it looks like a trailer for a video game. If it's because they haven't finished doing all the polishing then they should have waited. IF this is the final thing, then could this turn out to be Camerons first turkey?

Post #: 169
RE: Lesson - 20/8/2009 10:56:33 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

How do they not look real? Because you find it easier to swallow a squidman than a 10ft tall blue humanoid?

How is that a failing on CGI's part? At what point in this teaser do they NOT look full integrated with their surroundings? Be the surroundings real (lab, human actors) or fabricated (epic jungle battles with giant bird things and spaceships)?

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 170
RE: WOW - 20/8/2009 11:04:02 PM   
Hoshi

I saw the trailer in a rather bad quality  so I thought it was a videogame....and I thought it was the comic series Avatar since I knew it was going to premiere...so when I saw the trailer again in a better quality imagine my surprise....I was in awe...wow

"You are my Lucky Star"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 171
A bit too star wars-esque for me... - 20/8/2009 11:08:43 PM   
tysmuse

and i'm talking about the new/first/bad kind of star wars. Could be cracking though, since we all know that Lucas is NO Cameron. But, this doesn't do anything for me. The 2012 trailer on the other hand...

Post #: 172
RE: Lesson - 20/8/2009 11:08:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

How do they not look real? Because you find it easier to swallow a squidman than a 10ft tall blue humanoid?

How is that a failing on CGI's part? At what point in this teaser do they NOT look full integrated with their surroundings? Be the surroundings real (lab, human actors) or fabricated (epic jungle battles with giant bird things and spaceships)?

Yeah Corleone - its YOUR fault that the CGI isn't all that hot!

Jeez, this thread...

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 173
- 20/8/2009 11:35:41 PM   
CAMO 2010

Wow I can’t believe the hype around this. It looks like the crappy cartoon CGI that ruined the Star Wars prequels.

Can anyone say Jar Jar binks?

Post #: 174
Very underwhelming... - 20/8/2009 11:53:54 PM   
flycreeper

I'm hoping this is just the result of me seeing this on my laptop rather than the big screen, but what a disappointment. Considering the hype, and with Avatar supposed to be a groundbreaking work of visual effects, as people have said, there is nothing new on show here whatsoever. It looks very much like a computer game to me, and that's not what I go to the movies for.

I think I'll wait for the critic reviews in December before I decide to shell out my hard earned cash. Please Jim Cameron, prove me wrong and give us a great movie.

Post #: 175
AS IMPRESSIVE AS IT IS........ - 20/8/2009 11:57:46 PM   
boredbluekoala

It looks like like a cartoon. I guess the technology just isn't there yet. However, I'm sure in 3D it will be amazing, but I'm not seeing anything in this trailer that was any more mind blowing than the first teaser for The Phantom Menace ten years ago, remember how utterly jaw dropping that was first time you saw it?

Post #: 176
Unimpressed - 21/8/2009 1:06:47 AM   
johnnymc

I just had to say that regardless how the film itself turns out, this trailer is about as exciting as a new pair of pants. Sorry, but come on! 10 years in development, blah, blah....seen it all before! So much work is needed not just on the CGI but the overall look of the film! I am sorely disappointed. No matter how hyped, how much money is spent or how revolutionary the 3-D (supposedly) is, you absolutely cannot fail to astound. And, frankly, Cameron has failed completely. I am more excited about District 9 right now and judging from what I have seen it is the one sci-fi film this year that will give me that buzz!!

Post #: 177
RE: Lesson - 21/8/2009 1:54:42 AM   
Andy7x

quote:

These blue alien things look 100% believable when glimpsed in real world locations here, and 100% believable in the fabricated environment, which itself looks utterly tangible and full of life.

EDIT - And to all the people saying "it looks like a videogame"... do you fools even play videogames? I do. I play loads. And if videogames looked as good as this we'd probably be 2 or 3 generations ahead of the current hardware. Not even the best looking videogames available today look as good as this, not by a HUGE margin.

Really? Best CGI ever? I'd say LOTR and Gollum give it a run for it's money. Hell, Jurassic Park too. And, come to think of it, Starship Troopers (no, I'm not joking).

Obviously it can't be fully judged until the final 3D cut, but this is all most people have to go on for now, and I personally reckon '100%' realistic is way off.

In regards to the videogame comments, I think most people mean videogame cutscenes rather than in-game footage. That's exactly what I was thinking all the way through.

As for the general plot - I've managed to distance myself from what the film is about so far, but the what the trailer shows really didn't ignite any interest in me at all. Still, I'm up for giving it a chance.

http://badvertisinguk.blogspot.com/

Post #: 178
Dave - 21/8/2009 2:20:22 AM   
daven1985

I never really got into the whole Avatar hype. However having just watched the trailer to me it looks Brilliant. The graphics look great and unless you are playign some new game on a super computer I think the graphics look beyond belief.

I would be very interested to see the final film, however most likely wouldn't go to the movies as I never do.

However that said I do hope that the story is a good one. nothing worst than a collection of great graphics and action scenes with no real story (some Harry Potter films come to mind. You all know what I mean.)

Post #: 179
Why all the whining? - 21/8/2009 2:24:35 AM   
mattdotwalker

I'm surprised so many people have such a strong negative reaction to this. I think people just want to hate it because of the hype. It has been over hyped but I think some of the point of the hype has been lost along the way.

Most of the talk from the people involved in the film seemed to focus on the level of detail in the CGI and the realism of the motion capture rather then the 3D aspect (although I think that is still going to be really impressive) and from this evidence I think it does live up to the hype. I think the detail and realism in some of those shots is staggering, it's not all perfect but the characters don't look emotionally dead like Beowulf or the like, they look like living creatures.

Beyond that I don't know what it will be like because other then the vague outline of the story that has been released I have no idea what happens in the film. It could be amazing or it could be bollocks. I really like what I have seen so far though. I am surprised so many people compare it to the Star Wars prequels. The fact it has a diverse range of aliens and a jungle in it are the only similarities I can see. Are Star Wars the only films that are allowed to have aliens and jungle? Plus, aside from Star Wars how many films of this type are there? Not many. I think there is room for another. To be honest this film does not look like anything else to me. It looks like a genuinely unique cinematic experience regardless of the story (although I do hope it has one). If it looks like a computer game I'd say that's more because it is the kind of world that is more common in gaming then in film rather then the quality of the CGI (for those who mentioned it looked like PS2 graphics I would love to have your PS2!)

I get the impression from what I have read here that the people who have actually seen more then the 2 minutes of this trailer are the ones that are hyping the film so I am going to listen to them and then judge the film myself in December.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cameron is a George Lucas-Wannabe Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI