Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Avatar Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
haygaz

Its Bright, colourful but looks unconvincing and very much with its head firmly stuck up its own bottom. Hopefully im proved wrong and of course have to see it to judge it. as we know trailers can be misleading now expectations are lowered it could turn out great but we will have to wait and see on this evidence a no from me

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 271
Avatar hmmmm - 28/8/2009 4:05:15 PM   
punkdkid

I've seen 5 mins of footage at the Empire Movie con. To be honest I wasn't convinced. The 3D is extremely hard on the eyes, especially on the fast moving action sequences. I actually felt my eyes becoming stained, unable to focus. Saying that will still go see the full feature- obviously.

I do think the studio are setting themselves up for a bit of a fall, by raising expections to almost unattainable levels. In my opinion the 3D of Tron looked far more effective. I guess time will tell if this really is the future for cinema.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 272
RE: Avatar hmmmm - 28/8/2009 7:04:31 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kazuya
Predictably this thread is already filled with comments from people who want nothing more than the chance to say how shit they think this film look, which is pretty funny when you think about it, since most of those people will probably end up downloading some pirate version, watching it on their computer, complimenting themselves that they sure had pegged Avatar for what it was, a director returning with a new film, a super-hyped film, but a shit film. I don't really give a fuck, I just think it's funny. Obviously I'm not saying that everyone who posts derogatory comments about the trailer is one of the above mentioned douchebags, the film is definitely not going to be for everyone. The lame Star Wars prequels comparisons are so obvious it makes my skin crawl, the moaning internet fucknut so predictable it hurts. As for me, well I liked the trailer very much, as such I don't think any trailer could give the true idea of what the experience is gonna be like, but it was a good indication of what to hope for. I liked that there was no score blaring over the glimpses, the world looks lush and appealing and I gotta say I loved the look of the Navi themselves. Still looking forward to this one immensely.
Oh, and props to Cameron for putting Stephen Lang in this film.

No need to be precious, son. If you don't care about the aggrevating masses then don't dedicate so much verbiage towards them. Frankly, your post in question was a touch strong given that posters here are merely commenting on a trailer for a film. Why does it matter if a number of posters make facile comparisons with the Star Wars prequels or any other feature film which includes computer generated imagery?

I felt underwhelmed when I watched the trailer, some of the scenes were interesting but it almost seem lifeless without any orchestral music or dialogue. I have a strong instinct  that James Cameron set out purely to try and 'revolutionise' cinema and create some thing new rather than concentrating more on an erudite piece of cinema. To which one in all likelihood would expect from him. I also feel he's picked out Sam Worthington to be his new 'Arnold Schwarzenegger', an action 'star' for a new generation and perhaps is trying to recapture the success he enjoyed with The Terminator, Terminator 2 and Aliens. I'm surprised that Bill Paxton isn't featured in the film so I don't get a sense of nepotism involved (Tim Burton being a guilty one) although Sigourney Weaver is in the cast. Still, Giovanni Ribisi is part of the cast and I haven't seen any thing from him in a while. I've enjoyed some of James Cameron's work of course, who hasn't? I simply feel his hiatus has left him too eager and perhaps desperate for another 'Titanic' success. I will go see the film and judge it on its own merit but I am simply less enticed by the trailer.

As for the role of three-dimensional technology in future films. I certainly feel this is the next logical step from a one-dimensional screen. Of course '3D' has been in development for a long while but I do not see the pinnacle of such technology being merely enjoyed through cheap plastic spectacles. I think Back to the Future Part II (despite being tongue-in-cheek) provided an interesting snippet of future technology with a three-dimensional shark hologram. Therefore, I do see 'true' '3D' technology on film being enabled through the use of holograms rather than jagged and blurred shapes on the screen.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 28/8/2009 7:11:49 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to punkdkid)
Post #: 273
Oh Ye of Little Faith! - 28/8/2009 8:35:36 PM   
Maria Noir

I must say that I find people's lack of faith disturbing. This is the director who brought us Terminator, Terminator 2, Aliens and The Abyss. I think it's safe to say that Cameron has displayed the necessary skill and aptitude required for making a modern sci-fi film. It's also his first feature-length project in ten years so I'm sure his latest attempt hasn't been half-hearted. I'm not saying that the trailer was a little underwhelming. I was also disappointed by the over-abundance of CGI that seemed to assault every frame. I'll also add that with virtually no dialogue in the trailer there wasn't much else to focus on.

James Cameron is an accomplished flimaker and I'm still very hopeful that the final product is going to be great.

I also had a funny feeling I saw something from a videogame that looked remarkably like a Na'vi:

[image]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/attackcat/avatarcharacterconcept.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/attackcat/aquisjen1.jpg[/image]

< Message edited by Maria Noir -- 28/8/2009 8:36:11 PM >

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 274
RE: Avatar hmmmm - 28/8/2009 11:11:34 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

As for the role of three-dimensional technology in future films. I certainly feel this is the next logical step from a one-dimensional screen.

That's two-dimensional, son.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 275
RE: Avatar hmmmm - 2/9/2009 11:34:45 PM   
Maria Noir

This guy pretty much summed up my feelings about the trailer. 

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 276
RE: Avatar hmmmm - 2/9/2009 11:59:23 PM   
Jasper_29

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maria Noir

This guy pretty much summed up my feelings about the trailer. 

This video of some guy sharing his opinion on a trailer may very well get a bigger audience than the film itself.

"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man..."

(in reply to Maria Noir)
Post #: 277
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Avatar Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI