Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 50 Greatest Sequels

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 12:07:48 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: JediBobster

And from now on tftrman, I shall call you 'Mary'.

Why do you prefer the first Mad Max?

And you're wrong, as are so many, about Evil Dead. The first works as a fun horror flick, the second one, though still enjoyable, just pushes it's tongue a little too far into it's cheek.

JEDI BOBSTER

Is that as in "Mary, Mary, quite contrary"?

I like the low budget feel of the first one, and there seems to be a bit of structure storywise, a bit of character development.

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 91
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 12:31:05 PM   
crazymoviesdude

I've seen none of the Mad Max movies, but I don't see why tftrman should be called names because he disagrees with you, he gave reasons, he's not saying it just to spite you, so what's the problem?

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 92
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 12:40:07 PM   
eldiabolik

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazymoviesdude

Ok man, we get it, you hate Star Wars, now chill.

I like Star Wars very much... Its the neck you must beware of.

http://www.eldiabolik.com/

el diabolik's world of psychotronic soundtracks.

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 93
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 1:14:15 PM   
crazymoviesdude

If you like his films, then you can't really complain, can you? I mean Hitchcock made great films, and he supposedly was a bastard to his actors. If you hate the man, it's irrellevent, his films rock.

(in reply to eldiabolik)
Post #: 94
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 1:25:06 PM   
eldiabolik

I have no problem with the man, its the neck that casts a shadow of fear.

http://www.eldiabolik.com/

el diabolik's world of psychotronic soundtracks.

Post #: 95
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 1:40:12 PM   
lifeofriley87

I don't really see how you can include Halloween III purely for the fact that its fucking AWFUL!
And if you're not including something like LOTR then surely Star Wars falls under the same category? That's all one long story really...but i guess that's nitpicking!
Ghostbusters 2 though?! And i agree with the Dollars trilogy that was fairly shocking. I realise in the end this is all opinion but seriously Empire, shocking! Dark Knight was far better than Superman II as well!

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 96
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 1:55:31 PM   
crazymoviesdude

quote:

ORIGINAL: eldiabolik

I have no problem with the man, its the neck that casts a shadow of fear.

Yeah, this has gone beyond a joke, you are babbling non-sensically. His neck isn't overly large, even his metaphorical neck isn't that big.

(in reply to eldiabolik)
Post #: 97
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 2:47:05 PM   
Andybee76

Without wanting to be a picky wanker!! That Superman 2 pic is from Superman 3!!!

I have and always will be, your friend

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 98
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 3:24:43 PM   
britflik

Where the heck is the two towers or return of the king.

And why oh why is harry potter mentioned?

(in reply to Andybee76)
Post #: 99
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 3:32:20 PM   
crazymoviesdude

quote:

ORIGINAL: britflik

Where the heck is the two towers or return of the king.

And why oh why is harry potter mentioned?

Don't just come in without reading the rest, no one is going to explain again why they aren't on the list.

(in reply to britflik)
Post #: 100
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 4:33:49 PM   
Web Head

In my opinion Empire Strikes Back was the 1st blockbuster sequel that was really, truely darker while at the same time building on the original. Star Wars A New Hope was such a huge commercial success because of its mass appeal however there can be no denying that it is a family movie. So the idea that the sequel to such a big blockbuster family movie should be darker and more grown up was a huge risk. However it was a huge risk that worked! Thats why its place in cinema history is so important and thats why it deserves to be no.2

Now or Never

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 101
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 5:33:51 PM   
faulknerdrummer

Surely the point of Temple of Doom is how bad a sequel can be, and the franchise was rescued by Last Crusade.

If you made a list of 50 Worst Sequels, Temple of Doom would feature on it as well.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 102
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 5:48:06 PM   
crazymoviesdude

For you maybe, but Empire deemed it to be one of the TOP 50, so putting on the bottom 50 would mean either that there were less than 100 sequels made ever, or they were contradicting themselves.

(in reply to faulknerdrummer)
Post #: 103
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 6:14:59 PM   
Hillsman

People are never gonna agree because this sort of thing is entirely subjective and everyone will have films they like & dislike and genres they like & dislike. Which kinda defeats the purpose of these lists.

My Top 3 sequels? (1) The Empire Strikes Back (2) Terminator 2 (3) Aliens. Each film expands on the original and manages to be brilliant in its own right. They are also films with terrific longevity....but then again, I love action and sci-fi so I'm not going to expect some Godfather 2 die-hard to understand.

Hillsman

Post #: 104
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 6:44:53 PM   
doncopey1

Dyer, Dyer, Dyer List.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 105
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 7:54:36 PM   
SamSolo

I think a lot of the hype about the Dark Knight is because it is still quite recent, thereby fresh in peoples' memories. I thought it was overlong and in places, trying too hard. There is no way it should be higher than Empire Strikes Back. It really moved the story along and turned the cartoon characters of 'A New Hope' into people we really cared about. Plus it had Hoth...

C.J.: They sent me two turkeys. The most photo-friendly of the two gets a Presidential pardon and a full life at a childrens zoo. The runner-up gets eaten.
BARTLET: If the Oscars were like that, Id watch.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 106
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 9:02:29 PM   
Dr Bluetool

Think Kahn should be higher for being both a cracker of a movie but, specificaly as a sequel, for turning round the general disappointment and rather flat feel of the original into something much better.

Aliens is spot on though but is there somewhere round here where I can bang about how Cameron stole the whole thing from Congo or has someone already done that? You know, just to balance out the Avatar coverage gushing to come.

(in reply to SamSolo)
Post #: 107
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 10:09:53 PM   
Hans Gruber

As someone said earlier, it is all a matter of different opinions. However I am going to re-iterate a point I made earlier, this list should not include two Nightmare on Elm Street films.....it just doesn't make any sense.

For what its worth, my top 3 sequels in no particular order are:
Empire Strikes Back
Rocky 3
Young Guns 2
(Even though I have to admit Aliens, X-Men 2, Rocky 4, Die Hard With A Vengeance,
Home Alone 2 and Mad Max 2 all come mighty close).

(in reply to Dr Bluetool)
Post #: 108
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 10:54:26 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hans Gruber

As someone said earlier, it is all a matter of different opinions. However I am going to re-iterate a point I made earlier, this list should not include two Nightmare on Elm Street films.....it just doesn't make any sense.

Why not? New Nightmare is a terrific film and Dream Warriors (and indeed The Dream Master) are pretty good as well.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Hans Gruber)
Post #: 109
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 11:39:42 PM   
windsor666

dawn of the dead is better than day of the dead, last crusade is better than temple of doom, wrong way round guys...and defo clerks 2 shuld ave been there

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 110
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 21/8/2009 1:25:27 AM   
sammy_ash

Where is the Matrix Reloaded???????????????

Its such a brilliant sequel, so much action throughout great fight scenes, some brilliant bad guys too such as the frightening twin henchmen working for the frenchman

It can be debated that the original is better but i much prefer reloaded. The Original really sets the scene with reloaded then having more time to let the action flow.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 111
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 21/8/2009 4:32:27 PM   
DeathMag84

The Dark Knight or The Godfather Part 2 should have been number 1 not Aliens. Aliens is a good sequel, but not better than the 2 i named.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 112
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 21/8/2009 6:57:17 PM   
Deveraux

Surely you should have put in National Lampoons European Vacation over the Christmas Vacation. The latter is truly terrible.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 113
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 21/8/2009 9:23:51 PM   
Hillsman

quote:

ORIGINAL: sammy_ash

Where is the Matrix Reloaded???????????????

Its such a brilliant sequel, so much action throughout great fight scenes, some brilliant bad guys too such as the frightening twin henchmen working for the frenchman

Totally agreed - much better than some of the dross on this list. It expands on the Matrix universe and features some of the best action scenes ever filmed!!

(in reply to sammy_ash)
Post #: 114
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 21/8/2009 9:26:57 PM   
Hillsman

Garling Error for X2: Glaring error: Bryan Singer leaving the sequel in favour of Superman Returns, allowing Brett Ratner to deliver a lacklustre take on the Phoenix Saga that is so well set up here.

RARELY was a truer word spoken. Hard to say which is the greater travesty - Singer leaving X2 to produce the drivel that was Superman Returns (I've seen MANY better episodes of Smallville....actually wasn't this an EXTENDED episode of SV with Lois in stead of Lana?) OR Ratner f*cking up the franchise completely?! Actually, Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut (WTF?) takes the biscuit fo rme.

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 115
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 21/8/2009 10:04:27 PM   
ReturnofRingo

What makes the omission of the Dollars trilogy particularly glaring is that this is the only separately-filmed trilogy I can think of where each instalment is better than the last, and the third still regularly appears on people's all time great lists.

Unlike The Godfather, Alien(s), Terminator, Mad Max, Star Wars, etc., which all came down to earth with number 3.

< Message edited by ReturnofRingo -- 21/8/2009 10:09:09 PM >

(in reply to Hillsman)
Post #: 116
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 21/8/2009 10:32:55 PM   
buddhabhoy

So let's get this straight; a lot of pods, birthing canals and - admittedly - some good action/ tense sequences, "triumph" over one of the greatest cinematic experieces of all time/

Are you hoping to bed James Cameron at the worldwide screening of Avatar? Get a grip. Eveb Fredo would kick Ripley's arse whilst drinking banana daquiris.

I would give four million just to be able to take a piss without it hurting.

Be honest you are looking and hoping for some serious collectables from the scrapings of Cameron's underwear to put Aliens above Godfather II.

Empire, you're nothing to me now. You're not a brother, you're not a friend. I don't want to know you or what you do. I don't want to see you at the hotels, I don't want you near my house. When you see our mother, I want to know a day in advance, so I won't be there. You understand?

I hope I have made my point

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 117
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 22/8/2009 12:40:55 AM   
Squave

Im sure lots of sleep is being lost by EMPIRE (Especially losing someone with 2 posts, buddhaboy)..

Great list, all the big names are in there somewhere.. Looking at the last readers compiled top 250 Godfather Part 2, Aliens, Dark knight and Empire Strikes Back were all in the top 20 films ever as voted for by us so why the fuck shouldnt they be in this...?

Totally agree with doncopey in that Aliens is better than the original in most peoples opinion, whereas the Godfather Part 2, whilst being one of the greatest films ever made, is still not the Godfather - ie. possibly theee greatest film ever made.

A lot of the rubbish being said by eldiabolik and others really doesnt make any sense to me. Mad Max seems to be the only glaring omission, I was actually excited as I was down to number 6 and it hadnt been mentioned yet...

I totally agree with Kill Bill and LOTR being left out as long as its pre-determined.. As for other omissions I can think of very few:

Daywatch?
Rocky 2?

At least they reframed from including such shite as Saw 2-? and Hostel 2. Oh, and Avatar looks AWESOME!

(in reply to buddhabhoy)
Post #: 118
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 22/8/2009 7:02:18 AM   
SiMachete

I dont agree with all 50, I am a James Cameron Fan, I know he's a hollywood director and his films have very little meaning. Aliens is a completely DIFFERENT film! Not like, Godfather 2 or 3, or Superman Returns or even fuckin' Terminator 2. I saw Aliens on T.V. when i was 8, didn't even know there was an original. I even went through a process of hating Aliens cause I wanted to see the original, course when i did I excpected more/ but when I saw it, it took me on a gothic journey into the mind of one of the greatest, and weirdest artists, H.R. Giger.  So, Aliens at No.1? Suprised the fuck outta me, but............... Yes, Without a doubt

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 119
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 22/8/2009 9:44:19 AM   
Hillsman

quote:

ORIGINAL: SamSolo

I think a lot of the hype about the Dark Knight is because it is still quite recent, thereby fresh in peoples' memories. I thought it was overlong and in places, trying too hard. There is no way it should be higher than Empire Strikes Back. It really moved the story along and turned the cartoon characters of 'A New Hope' into people we really cared about. Plus it had Hoth...

TDK will almost certainly fade from people's memory in time - it is a great film, but is it really a Top 10 Greatest Sequel? I have to disagree, though I wouldn't put any other comic-book sequel ahead of it either. (Mots of them were in there - no Fantastic Four though!)

We saw the same with LOTR - just after it's release, I believe all 3 films were in the Top 20 of a Top 100 Greatest Films. In the recent 500 Greatest, there were none in the Top 10!!

(in reply to SamSolo)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI