Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: 50 Greatest Sequels

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 2:57:54 PM   
JAMS MCFLY

is it better than the original? - most of your answers are - NO. i know your brief was "stands alone in its own right" but most of these don't - even if they do, you say they are not as good as the original! sort it out empire!

i think you would have found it easier to do the 50 WORST sequels and probably would have been more fun

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 61
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 3:35:07 PM   
jp110469

This is a HUGE mistake.  #14 = Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  This film is a prequel, not a sequel.  It should not be listed.  What happened to the Rocky movies?  Rocky II and III at least should be in the top 50.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 62
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 3:41:02 PM   
DGener8

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMS MCFLY

is it better than the original? - most of your answers are - NO. i know your brief was "stands alone in its own right" but most of these don't - even if they do, you say they are not as good as the original! sort it out empire!

Let's be fair mate, a choice of sequels that are better than the original would be a really fucking short list. And it'd prompt even more irritating fanboy debate, since the only possible qualifications would be either comic-book movies or the oft-debated Star Wars/Godfather/Aliens/Terminator argument. I don't think that ground needs re-treading 

"Just cos a fucker's got a library card doesn't make him Yoda"

(in reply to JAMS MCFLY)
Post #: 63
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 3:41:23 PM   
Noelg25

Can I just say in case no one else has, Superman threw his 'S' frisbee at Non and not General Zod. Clearly you guys need to watch that movie again or let us Superman experts do the viewing for you. :)

Man Of Steel will rock!

2013 is Superman's year!

Metropolis, IL here I come for Superman Celebration!!

(in reply to jp110469)
Post #: 64
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - ST - 19/8/2009 3:46:51 PM   
dholleyuk

"Picard, traumatised from an old encounter with them (in series 2 double-parter finale Best of Both Worlds, fact fans)"

Wrong Empire - It was season three season end episode followed by season 4 opener! FACT EMPIRE, Please get it right next time otherwise people will lose faith in your magazine!

Boldly going

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 65
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - ST - 19/8/2009 4:03:14 PM   
bombstalker

Bad Boys 2 - better Bay-hem
Transporter 2 - better Stath-hem

Mad Max 2 definitely the stand-out omission though.

(in reply to dholleyuk)
Post #: 66
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 4:41:53 PM   
Bim

I'm sorry.... Aliens better than The Godfather II? The Dark Knight better than Empire Strikes Back? heck no, that's messed up.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 67
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 5:01:54 PM   
crazymoviesdude

Guys Guys!! These are the Empire staff's collective opinion, not a representation of the whole world's opinion.

IT IS ALWAYS SUBJECTIVE!! Don't get bent out of shape if your fave isn't listed.

(in reply to Bim)
Post #: 68
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 5:10:28 PM   
eldiabolik

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazymoviesdude

Guys Guys!! These are the Empire staff's collective opinion, not a representation of the whole world's opinion.

IT IS ALWAYS SUBJECTIVE!! Don't get bent out of shape if your fave isn't listed.

Nah, its ok. This list just cements Empire 'Journalists' growing reputation as fanboy shills of Hollywood.

******Conspiracy Theory*******
Empire starts talking allot about old James Cameron films. James has a new film coming out soon.

That's all folks.
******Conspiracy Theory*******

http://www.eldiabolik.com/

el diabolik's world of psychotronic soundtracks.

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 69
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 5:29:40 PM   
crazymoviesdude

If that's what they are then why would that not be ok? I'm sure Roger Ebert is really a complete snob, but he still concedes that there are good blockbusters, just as Empire may be mostly fan-boys, but they still write good articles about art films, and review them very well, so I see nothing wrong with that at all. Most readers would fall into that group as well, so there is no problem.

< Message edited by crazymoviesdude -- 19/8/2009 5:30:15 PM >

(in reply to eldiabolik)
Post #: 70
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 5:52:29 PM   
Web Head

Empire has finally lost the plot, so much so that im going to put this in block capitols THE DARK KNIGHT IS NOT A BETTER SEQUEL THAN THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!!!!!!!! Godfather part 2 for the win with ESB in 2nd and Aliens 3rd. Without ESB there would be no Dark Knight! Yes Ledger is a freakin God, we get it, but one belting performance does not do enough to disguise Knights flaws.Top 5 yes, top 3 no

Now or Never

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 71
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 7:19:41 PM   
VijayUK

'The Empire Strikes Back' at No.6? 'Batman Returns' at No13? The list is lame. Good choice for No.1 though.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 72
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 7:26:33 PM   
eldiabolik

Empire has been taken over by the all-consuming world conquering fat-neck of George Lucas.
Beware, this neck has already killed its owner. It will soon be squelching its way to other directors and perodicals, James Cameron could be next if the rest of Avatar looks like the rather flaccid few minutes shown at Movie-Con.

Be warned!

< Message edited by eldiabolik -- 19/8/2009 7:27:27 PM >

(in reply to VijayUK)
Post #: 73
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 7:48:04 PM   
crazymoviesdude

Loud and clear El D, I'll also shoot anyone who sneezes within 200 feet of me so I don't get swine flu, would that be good?

Stop being such a scare mongerer.

(in reply to eldiabolik)
Post #: 74
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 8:47:58 PM   
Dr Bluetool

I'll go with on Magnum Force...

(in reply to eldiabolik)
Post #: 75
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 8:52:35 PM   
luke_flyporker

The Oxford Dictionary defines a sequel as "a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one".

How do The Two Towers and Return Of The King not do that??

Let the arguments begin.........

(in reply to Dr Bluetool)
Post #: 76
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 9:05:06 PM   
crazymoviesdude

Nobody said they don't do that, but because they were all planned from the start, and all made together, and not as an after-thought, it rules them out of this list. They may fit the description of a sequel, but Empire clearly stated that it was exempt before hand, so maybe people should get over it?

I too would put them in the Top 10, mayb 5, but as it was stated at the very beginning that they were not eligible, I'm fine with it.

If anything, the fact that they were mentioned, shows how prominent they would be in the list had they not been made all at one time.

(in reply to luke_flyporker)
Post #: 77
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 19/8/2009 10:49:04 PM   
Stehako

While I disagree with a lot of your slasher picks (I'm just not a fan of that genre) I have to say you guys made a fantastic list. A lot better than Entertainment Weekkly's lists. You guys prove each time that you actually put thought into the lists and really love cinema.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 78
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 7:26:25 AM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Web Head

Empire has finally lost the plot, so much so that im going to put this in block capitols THE DARK KNIGHT IS NOT A BETTER SEQUEL THAN THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!!!!!!!! Godfather part 2 for the win with ESB in 2nd and Aliens 3rd. Without ESB there would be no Dark Knight! Yes Ledger is a freakin God, we get it, but one belting performance does not do enough to disguise Knights flaws.Top 5 yes, top 3 no

?????

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to Web Head)
Post #: 79
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 7:29:33 AM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: eldiabolik

Empire has been taken over by the all-consuming world conquering fat-neck of George Lucas.
Beware, this neck has already killed its owner. It will soon be squelching its way to other directors and perodicals, James Cameron could be next if the rest of Avatar looks like the rather flaccid few minutes shown at Movie-Con.

Be warned!

I don't understand. Are not Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, ESB and ROTJ 4 cinema greats, and certainly some of the best sequels ever made? A Lucas film didn't come in at No 1, it's criminal that ESB only achieved No 6

< Message edited by darthbane -- 20/8/2009 7:32:30 AM >

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to eldiabolik)
Post #: 80
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 7:36:43 AM   
eldiabolik

The neck of death takes many forms.
Look for it, for its darkness creeps slowly, but devastatingly.

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 81
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 8:07:15 AM   
crazymoviesdude

Ok man, we get it, you hate Star Wars, now chill.

(in reply to eldiabolik)
Post #: 82
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 9:45:47 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Web Head

?????

I think he means having a sequel that is "darker". We'd already had a dark sequel before that though - French Connection II, the main character got put on heroin!

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 83
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 11:33:12 AM   
JediBobster

It's been said many times already but clearly the omission of Mad Max 2 is a bit of a 'd'oh!' moment for this list.

Otherwise, absolutely agree with Aliens being top (Godfather 2 is not as good as The Godfather whereas Aliens is better than Alien - don't get me wrong, I love Alien.)

The Empire Strikes Back should have been No.2.

Let's hope the worst sequel list is coming soon (I smell Grease 2, The Matrix 2 and 3, Shrek 2 (oh wait), Jaws the Revenge and Highlander 2.

JEDI BOBSTER

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 84
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 11:39:34 AM   
tommyjarvis

I'm assuming Mad Max 2 isn't there because its fucking rubbish.

H20 should be there rather than Season of the Witch and Die Hard 3 should be a lot higher. Other than that, a decent list.

The lack of Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter is distressing however

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to JediBobster)
Post #: 85
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 11:42:57 AM   
JediBobster

I don't think, tommyjarvis, you'll find anyone that prefers the first Mad Max to the second one (actually you will cos there is always some contrary sod out there).

Also forgot to comment, it's been a while, that The Evil Dead is actually a better film than Evil Dead 2. Don't let any large-shoed, squirty flower-wearing, brightly-coloured individual tell you otherwise.

JEDI BOBSTER

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 86
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 11:47:33 AM   
tftrman

I'm not being contrary, but I do prefer the first Mad Max. Evil Dead is in no way, shape or form better than Evil Dead 2.

Post #: 87
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 11:51:43 AM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: JediBobster

I don't think, tommyjarvis, you'll find anyone that prefers the first Mad Max to the second one (actually you will cos there is always some contrary sod out there).

Also forgot to comment, it's been a while, that The Evil Dead is actually a better film than Evil Dead 2. Don't let any large-shoed, squirty flower-wearing, brightly-coloured individual tell you otherwise.

JEDI BOBSTER

I've never seen all of Mad Max but the sequel was awful. I agree with you on Evil Dead though, a much better film than ED2.

Also, why isn't Austin Powers 2 in there?

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

Post #: 88
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 11:54:54 AM   
JediBobster

And from now on tftrman, I shall call you 'Mary'.

Why do you prefer the first Mad Max?

And you're wrong, as are so many, about Evil Dead. The first works as a fun horror flick, the second one, though still enjoyable, just pushes it's tongue a little too far into it's cheek.

JEDI BOBSTER

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 89
RE: 50 Greatest Sequels - 20/8/2009 11:58:08 AM   
PJimmy

OK, I can forgive the omission of Silence Of The Lambs, Rocky II, Mad Max 2...

But where frig is Mortal Kombat Annihilation???

You've just lost a subscriber, Empire.

(in reply to James Dyer)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> RE: 50 Greatest Sequels Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI