Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Spider-Man 5 And 6 Get A Screenwriter

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Spider-Man 5 And 6 Get A Screenwriter Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spider-Man 5 And 6 Get A Screenwriter - 17/8/2009 8:52:26 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
First of all... - 17/8/2009 8:52:26 AM   
mighty mick

... a quick premise: I am not convinced it´s a good idea to have any more Spiderman films, not even a 4th. There´s no need, creatively (the two leads, Peter and MJ have had what one could define a character arc over the three films) or even economically (Marvel´s been doin well in the past two years without Spiderman and they have a new posterboy in the form of Ironman).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
However... - 17/8/2009 8:58:46 AM   
mighty mick

... if I HAD TO come up with suggestions here it goes: Jim Sturgess for Parker/Spidey, Evan Rachel Wood for MJ and Martin Campbell in the director´s chair. He rebooted Bond with a bang, perhaps he could do the same for Spidey. As for the Villains I haven´t got a clue, they´ve used up all the best ones... unless they somehow managed to come up with the Venom & Carnage storyline. THAT´s the Spiderman film I want to see.

Post #: 3
Don't hit me... - 17/8/2009 9:00:11 AM   
waltham1979

...but I really didn't enjoy the Spiderman Trilogy from the off. I though the first was fairly...meh...the second film was ok and the third film was rubbish. Which is a shame as I think the potential is there. Really though the two leads were sooooo irritating and wooden. Would like to see a fourth one, but with new actors and maybe even (don't get me wrong I have much love for Raimi) a new director.

Post #: 4
- 17/8/2009 9:01:58 AM   
crazymoviesdude

This is clearly a very financially prompted move, to do another trilogy that is, but there is such a huge amount of source material that if it is mines properly, these films shouldn't necessarily suck. Also, I reckon we could have Mysterio be the big bad for 5 and 6, with maybe a beefed up henchman role for Rhino (ala Jaws in Bond). For number 4, I think they should continue down the Doc Connors road and have The Lizard.

Post #: 5
Spiderman 7 - 17/8/2009 9:10:25 AM   
Tech_Noir

If Maguire and Dunst are back I'll have a hard time convincing myself to pay to see this.

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 6
- 17/8/2009 9:11:53 AM   
Greg Andrew

Spider-Man 5: Mission Miami beach, canny wait

Post #: 7
RE: - 17/8/2009 9:29:48 AM   
tftrman

I think they should get a new director anyway. I liked the playfulness of Raimi's films (apart from Peter's dance in 3 *shudder*) but he often strayed into mawkishness.

I'd like to see what Timur Bekmambetov did with a massive budget.

(in reply to Greg Andrew)
Post #: 8
RE: RE: - 17/8/2009 10:05:35 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

I'd like to see what Timur Bekmambetov did with a massive budget.

That's interesting, Timur has a very unique style I think his take on Spidey would be cool. anyway, I'm actually getting a tad bored with all of the live-action Marvel & DC films; as I have mentioned elsewhere, I prefer the animated versions. man, what I wouldn't give to see some big-budgeted, all-star voice-cast ANIMATED film versions of these...

[image]http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/o_secret_wars01_00.jpg[/image]

[image]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/thumb/8/8f/Infinitygauntlet_1.JPG/300px-Infinitygauntlet_1.JPG[/image]

These are epic stories with the characters that we all love and I don't see how these wouldn't work if given to the right Animation Studio (NOT japanese - I'm talking Bruce Timm and the Gang at Warners)

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 9
Reboot needed - 17/8/2009 11:06:03 AM   
Web Head

A full reboot may be going abit to far but something needs to change here. Ive got to agree with the notion that the animated argument does hold a certain logic to it however it should not be beyond hollywood to give us a good, proper , faithful live action spidy flick. If they dont give us a new cast and a new director i wont be sold on the idea of another trilogy, also integration into the wider marvel universe needs to be looked at, although so long as spidy stays in the hands of sony i wont hold my breath. Look to the comics and this franchise will be saved!

Post #: 10
Cast change please. - 17/8/2009 11:33:34 AM   
Ramirez

I don't care who the bad guys are, I don't care what the story is or who the director is but for the love of god please change the cast. I cannot stand that whinging sap Tobey Maguire.
Absolutely awful in all 3 films.

Post #: 11
Avengers? - 17/8/2009 3:31:03 PM   
darko18

Surely they'll take Spidey down the Avengers route and tie him in with Hulk, Iron Man etc? It's logical since Marvel do want their "Avengers Summer" post 2010 and Spidey has been in the Avengers.

If they decide to play around for a bit in Spidey's own neighbourhood, the Lizard would be a great choice for villain.

Post #: 12
A change will do you good - 17/8/2009 5:29:30 PM   
Gabriel

I really like the first two and Spiderman 2 is among my favorite movies ever (three is unwatchable)
But at this stage I'd like to see some new blood as both McGuire and Dunst seem bored with the characters now and to be honest we haven't had a real Spiderman movie yet. By that I mean we haven't seen the wise-cracking and above all *likeable* character as he is in the comics. The most faithful adaptation has been the recent Spectacular Spiderman cartoon which is excellent.

(in reply to darko18)
Post #: 13
If 5 and 6 are to be interconnected... - 17/8/2009 6:51:37 PM   
Kalielyn

... then for the love of God Sony please work with Marvel and make Spidey 4 work it with the Avengers/Iron Man/Cap'n America stories!! (NF and IM cameo?)

I think a small reboot is needed, maybe do what the did with start of the incredible hulk, where they had his accident at the start (thus negating the rubbish first film), Bring back Green Goblin and Venom and do a proper Carnage! Or, to make some baddies last 2 films, Lizard and Venom/Carnage (in a sort of partnership), maybe with an Iron Man appearence as 5/6 will probably be after the avengers!

Post #: 14
RE: If 5 and 6 are to be interconnected... - 17/8/2009 8:00:24 PM   
jobloffski

While I have like Tobey in the role, I think Raimi has had him cry too much. Even seeing him cry behind the mask would have broken things up a little in that regard.

S3 is a film I try really hard to like, but in all honesty, what I wanted to see was a showdown between Harry and Peter that set out to say 'hey Lucas, you gave us sith, but lets now see what a fight between former friends should [really/i] look and feel like".

That was where the story arc of the first two was going, and the look of betrayal on Parker's face in 2 when Harry slapped him led me to expect the real big payoff of that in 3. Instead of which, it was just one element of a very busy tale with at least one bad guy too many.

Whatever happens from now on, I hope for actual focused and comitted storytelling. And if it's a trilogy to come, I would like it to be considered a trilogy from the outset with proper set ups and pay offs.

I genuinely expected MJ to die in S3, finally paying off the 'its all about a girl' stuff from the first movie and having both harry and peter see the price of their feud lying dead on the floor in front of them.

Maybe I expected too much. But then I like stuff which has been planted to be paid off. It still seems to me that's where the first two films are pointing towards. And if that is the case, with the studios getting nervous and demanding changes, at least we have the success of TDK to indicate to studios that having the courage of convictions and simply telling a story, even if it is dark, makes for better films than losing balls when they are most needed.

Alternative to my above expectation:

Imagine if there was no black suit stuff in S3, imagine Harry had blackailed Sandman into taking on Spidey (I'll pay your daughters medical bills but, you have to do something for me...) and imagine the ending, with Sandman battering spidey, Harry looking on gleefully, with MJ screaming Harry's name over and over, and Harry only relenting at the last moment and NOT ending up dead. And none of that 'I killed your uncle' shit.

Result? A far more focused movie, and with the black suit stuff still untapped potential.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 17/8/2009 8:25:14 PM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Kalielyn)
Post #: 15
Cheetah makes a comeback - 17/8/2009 8:20:08 PM   
MaxRenn

Even if they have a 100 monkeys sitting at 100 typewriters...one of them is bound to come up with a better script than the one for spidey 3.

Post #: 16
Should never have killed of Doc Ock! - 17/8/2009 9:29:54 PM   
Black Hole

Anyone agree? He could have been a great assist for the sequels, even if he was just in a cell block and peter went to ask him advice or something, even the slightest reference or possibility of a villain returning is a laugh. That's why it's a shame when they kill off villains, it would be great to see him back.

Post #: 17
- 18/8/2009 1:16:57 AM   
DeadCell79

a new director is needed for sure.. maybe he could pull out a good on screen performance from Maguire and Dunst.. who knows. but a new cast wont be a bad thing either..

i think Michael Morbius as parkers rival in collage would be a good story arc while the lizard becomes the vilan for spidy in one of the movies. of witch morbius having the accedent becoming the vampire. which move's him to be the main vilan in the next movie.

Post #: 18
Don't even know the plot to 4 - 18/8/2009 4:56:24 AM   
DeathMag84

We don't even know the plot or (of course) who the villians are and they want to go on getting prepared for the ones after this one right now? As long as The Lizard is the villian in 4, it will all be good i suppose. By the way, why a reboost? Spider-Man 3 is not that bad, If you want to talk about bad 3's we can say: Alien 3 or Saw 3 or Pirates 3 etc...

< Message edited by DeathMag84 -- 18/8/2009 4:59:45 AM >

Post #: 19
Craven the Hunter - 18/8/2009 9:51:57 AM   
scotsdiver

How about Craven the Hunter on a hunt for the Spiderman whilst he in turn is hunting the Lizard. Always thought Craven was a cool character in the comics.

Or how contraversial is this : a Spidey / Daredevil team-up (come-on, Daredevil was pretty good, you know you want to admit it).

Post #: 20
no more Sam... - 18/8/2009 1:45:54 PM   
sidjum

Sam Raimi is a excellent horror director. He should NEVER have laid his hands on Spider-Man. Wrong director and wrong actor. Maguire acts the same in all of his movies. One trick pony. Why didn't James Cameron didn't get the directors chair? He's been aiming at Spider-Man since the 80ties! I wouldn't mind a complete change of actor AND director... but then... do we ever have a say in that?

Post #: 21
RE: no more Sam... - 18/8/2009 8:16:59 PM   
JIm R

The first Spiderman film of Raimi's is an excellent origin film and well handled (except the Goblin sub-Power Rangers costume), number 2 okay and 3 is a mis handled half decent stab.

overall he's done well and I would be quite happy to see a fourth, beyond that though, I think all involved are pushing their luck.

< Message edited by JIm R -- 18/8/2009 8:17:25 PM >

(in reply to sidjum)
Post #: 22
DeathMag84 - 19/8/2009 2:50:33 PM   
Youshouldberunning

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeathMag84
If you want to talk about bad 3's we can say: Alien 3 or Saw 3 or Pirates 3 etc...

Are you joking? You are grouping Alien3 with Saw 3 and Pirates 3, and you think it is worse than Spiderman 3?! Have you SEEN Spiderman 3? Alien3 is a damn good film, how dare you sully it with this nonsense!

(in reply to DeathMag84)
Post #: 23
Suggestions on what should happen in Spiderman 4 - 19/8/2009 3:28:59 PM   
bb

1. NO more stories about Uncle Ben. We KNOW Aunt May loves him. Give the character something to do instead telling stuff about Ben.
2. NO more garbage about Peter trying to woo Mary-Jane.
3. Less villains, better development.
4. Less quiet conversations between Peter and Mary-Jane. By the time it got to the third film, their chemistry had become very annoying.
5. The main focus should be Spider-Man dealing with villain.
6. For god sake, NO more awful scenes like Peter dancing or crying like a big baby at the park bridge.
7. NO more romantic triangles.
8. NO MORE of Mary-Jane ending up being the damsel in distress!
9. Give J. Jonah Jameson more screen time!
And lastly,
10. NO MORE BUTLER SCENES!!!

< Message edited by bb -- 19/8/2009 3:29:54 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: Suggestions on what should happen in Spiderman 4 - 20/8/2009 7:03:34 PM   
JIm R

I think we'll see a very very different Spiderman flick next time around Raimi got pissed about by the studio and Avi Arad last time and he knows it, he seems far more battle hardy this time around and willing to stand his ground and not 'cave in' top studio demands from brief soundbites thus far in the build up to 4.

I think it will be the standard of the first one to be honest (the best in my opinion)

(in reply to bb)
Post #: 25
- 16/9/2009 7:58:52 PM   
S1lent B0b

I can just see the titles
Spider-Man 4:Spiderman on Patrol
Spider-Man 5:Assignment Incredible Hulk
Spider-Man 6:New York City Under Siege
and the finale
Spider-Man:Mission to Marvel

Post #: 26
- 26/9/2009 6:18:01 PM   
FanaticalAboutFilm

5 and 6?? Personally, I think they should have stopped after the first two. Please,no more of Spidey!!

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Spider-Man 5 And 6 Get A Screenwriter Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI