Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Time Traveler's Wife

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Time Traveler's Wife Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Time Traveler's Wife - 14/8/2009 2:51:05 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: The Time Traveler's Wife - 20/8/2009 1:43:20 PM   
barney01uk

I'm worried after reading these reviews that so much will have been taken out of the book, but I'm still going to see it this evening regardless.

My copy of the book is looking very battered as it has been lent to so many people now, definitely one of my favourites, and hopefully still will be after tonight!

Hmmmm....squishy?

If money is the root of all evil, why do Churches want it so badly?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Time Traveler's Wife - 20/8/2009 5:19:11 PM   
Sundance

I absolutely loathe the book but was dragged to this by a friend. It's actually not bad. In some ways I thought it was better than the book, the characters are much more likeable for one thing. Bana and McAdams are great. An okay way to pass a few hours, but nothing more.

(in reply to barney01uk)
Post #: 3
RE: The Time Traveler's Wife - 26/8/2009 9:50:33 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams were the perfect choice for Henry and Clare. Their relationship has this tragically poetic feel to it that you know is going to end up doomed, yet every time you read the book you pathetically hope for a happy ending. In a way, it is. The loss and gain every time Henry reappears makes the cynic in you bow down to romantic optimism. The Time Travellerís Wife is actually one of my favourite novels, so I had expectations of the movie. Despite the faults - fractured time slots not being as seamless as the books rendition, the absence of some intrinsic parts of the story, even the unfocussed focal point of the meadow - I think it was very well done. However, in the end itís the characterís Bana and McAdams portray which ground this movie. One word which sums it all up for me : lovely.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 4
Romantic But Not Sweeping Me Off My Feet. - 14/2/2010 10:46:01 AM   
joanna likes films

My sister read the book and wanted to see the movie so I rented it and checked it out last night. It does have perfect casting from Eric Bana and Rachel Mcadams as Clare and Henry, beautiful sights especially on the Blu-Ray and plenty of romantic moments along with some tragic scenes that could leave you with a tear or two. But it didn't sweep me off my feet like other romantic movies have done, seemed a little rushed at the end and by the sounds of things isn't a patch on the book. Worth seeing but I wouldn't say it's a great romantic film.

Post #: 5
RE: Romantic But Not Sweeping Me Off My Feet. - 4/6/2010 2:24:30 PM   
REALLYMAD

This for me sums up the need to see films more than once to fully appreciate them. I originally saw it at the cinema with a lady and came away with a 3-star appreciation. This may have been refracted from my lady friend's one word review ("unusual") but I did enjoy it more than I thought I would. The lead roles were brilliantly cast and Rachel McAdams was particularly irresistable.

Then, out of curiousity, I read the book, thoroughly enjoyed it and was interested to see the characters in more detail. However, the film I believe stands out by itself and uniquely for me I enjoyed parts of it more than the book itself. Comparing screen adaptations to the source material is always an unfair comparison in my opinion, moreso in this case, but we are predictable that way.

I ended up buying the bluray. I have watched it a couple of times now and I enjoy it more each go. It is actually beautifully put together. The sci-fi element time travel was shot with the minimum of fuss and effect and treated as any other medical condition looking for a cure, never overpowering the real story of the complications it presents to a couple trying to live with it. The score was gentle, subtle but moving. Bana and McAdams are thoroughly convincing as Henry and Claire, definite chemistry there and for me it didn't really matter much how little we saw of the rest of the cast; the story was about those two, and eventually their child. The rest were just helping them (and us) along their journey. A poignant finale too; it had me sympathetic to what they were feeling, completely, I was emotionally sold.

This film is the reason why I now accept one-sitting film reviews for what they are; incomplete. Certainly there are cases where one view is all you need to know how bad a film is, but sometimes you need to see a good film more closely to appreciate it is much better than you first thought. I never would have guessed a love story would be influential in my choice of must-see films but I will watch this again and again.

"Hahahaha, you've ticked all the points on the "wounded bunny" checklist tonight!"

#1 wankiest attempted put-down in messageboard history.

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 6
RE: Romantic But Not Sweeping Me Off My Feet. - 6/6/2010 9:01:07 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

This is quite a screwed up film.
When you sit and think about it,he's going back in time to see his love when she was a child.
So did he fall in love with her AS a child?
Is this not kind of creepy??

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to REALLYMAD)
Post #: 7
RE: Romantic But Not Sweeping Me Off My Feet. - 9/9/2010 12:18:45 PM   
paul_ie86

No, he met adult Claire in his timeline before he started going to the meadow.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 8
RE: Romantic But Not Sweeping Me Off My Feet. - 9/9/2010 1:45:15 PM   
elab49

Which she did because he started visiting her naked while she was a very little girl.

I think the author was trying to lose the rather distasteful dodginess of the whole thing in a 'throws hands up - but it's all explained by TIME TRAVEL' kind of way.

Bad book, as bad film.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 9
RE: Romantic But Not Sweeping Me Off My Feet. - 10/9/2010 9:05:14 PM   
hampstead bandit

saw this last night - have never read the book

thoroughly enjoyed the film - very intriguing - and I'm man enough to admit it made me tearful at the end!

3.5/5

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Romantic But Not Sweeping Me Off My Feet. - 10/9/2010 11:45:00 PM   
Groovy Mule

I haven't read the book so I can only judge the film on itself.

Whilst I think that Rachel McAdams is a perfect fit for Claire, I'm not sure that Eric Bana quite works as Henry.  He seems too reserved and it makes the relationship feel somewhat one sided.  Claire appears infatuated with Henry from since she was a little girl but Henry seems very stand-offish and unsure and that detracted significantly from the power of their relationship.  I also agree that the dynamic of the relationship is slightly distasteful given they first meet when Claire is only 6 years old and Henry is in his 30s.

There is a sense of melancholy running through the film and the treatment of the time travelling worked very well.  However, as I had not bought into the central relationship, I'm afraid that this did not have the same impact it might otherwise have had.

6/10

< Message edited by Groovy Mule -- 10/9/2010 11:46:30 PM >

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 11
RE: Romantic But Not Sweeping Me Off My Feet. - 11/9/2010 11:23:42 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

It's a seemingly well filmed film,but i agree the central relationship as developed doesn't work.
I don't think it is deliberately creepy though,it just wasn't that well thought out.
It's a shame as there was a really good love story to be told here(with the time travel thrown in!).

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 12
The Time Traveler's Wife Review - 4/3/2012 11:20:10 PM   
the film man

Though it may satisfy fans of the novel, The Time Traveler's Wife's plot contrivances and illogical narrative hamper its big screen effectiveness.

Post #: 13
- 20/11/2012 12:18:34 PM   
Dogenegra

Could have done more with it if it wasn't for the fact that they tried to fit in far too much into nowhere near enough time. The director should have developed the characters more, slowed down, and kept a lot more of the book.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Time Traveler's Wife Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI