Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 4:33:04 PM   
jasonbourne.cs

if  Bryan Singer really is up for space opera he should read "the saga of the seven suns" by Kevin J Anderson , that'd keep em busy for a while . 

(in reply to domcruise)
Post #: 91
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 5:18:41 PM   
darcaine

Look at it from Universals point of view...

The original series was in the top 20 tv shows during it's entire season, even after it's budget was constantly being slashed and it's camp value skyrocketed.  At one point, it was even the number one rated show in the US.

Fast forward 15 years and a remake of this hugely popular show is made, and barely cracks a 2 million viewer rating.  It's loved by scifi fanboys and the critics, but the millions of fans who loved the original and made the PTB who canceled it regret  their decision, are no where to be seen, and the premise has proven in the past that it can draw a huge audience of loyal fans.

From their point of view, the first reboot didn't work (critically acclaimed, but it's ratings were dismal, even by cable standards), so they are going to try again with a different creative team and make it a movie(franchise?)  instead of a tv show. 

As for casting the cast of the RDM version, we still don't know what this new version will be like, or whether or not it'll even have the same characters.  In the Desanto/Singer version of the original remake, Adama was dead, and Appollo was turned into a cybernetic cylon  and was leading the cylon race against the humans.   I wouldn't be surprised to see something more akin to that.

< Message edited by darcaine -- 14/8/2009 5:20:46 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 92
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 6:17:25 PM   
Rgirvan44

a) It wasn't 15 years between 70s show and remake. Try adding another decade on.

b) TV has changed. There are far more tv channels out there and far more ways to watch something. Battlestar was on cable in the States. You really think sci-fi would commit to the series if the ratings were really that bad?

c) How many people genuinely, honestly loved the 70s show? And of them, how many are now in their 40s/50s?

d) Again - you think Universial didn't consider the reboot a success? DVDs sales, downloads etc,...If it wasn't a success they wouldn't hjave paid for an extra three seasons and two tv movies.

e) You forgot to mention that the script Singer did was basically the plot of the end of season two/start of season three.

f) Do you really REALLY think after what he tried to do with Superman Returns, Singer would make a film version of a 30 year tv show with holographic Lorne Green, brought back from the dead? He already did that - thats just one reason why this, if it ever gets made, will be a reboot.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to darcaine)
Post #: 93
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 6:20:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

You kniow why Universial want this?

Because Star Trel did so well. They have been wanting a Sci-Fi movie franchise for years now. Thats why Serenity got made, thats why Doom got made.

They want a tent pole franchise, and are more likely than not thinking that the critical recption, along with public awareness of the tv series, is a good springboard for the movie.

I happen to think doing it so soon after the series is a huge mistake, but when has that ever got in the way of trying to make money.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 94
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 6:34:35 PM   
darcaine

Ooops, I don't know what I was thinking about 15 years between the two versions.

Anyway, yeah, the ratings were really that bad. 2 million viewers, even  by cable standards is low.  US tv networks are greedy and when they have a successful show on their hands, they do everything they can to keep it on the air as long as possible.  SG-1 running for 10 years is a good example of that.

BSG still had life left in it, they killed it early because a 2 million ratings share is tiny, even for Syfy. 

Does Universal consider it a success?  Hard to say (I'd wager that if they did, they wouldn't be rushing a BSG movie out though).  They ponied up the cash in the hopes of ratings increasing, and after 4 years and 2 movies proved that they weren't going to...the axe fell.  It's not really that uncommon for networks to give a show they really believe in, love and that is getting tons of critical acclaim to stay on the air for a few years even though it's ratings are crap. (Alias on ABC had terrible ratings, but it stayed on the air for multiple seasons because it brought ABC critical acclaim at a time they really needed it).

Does Universal believe that the franchise can be massively more successful than the remake was on Syfy?  My bet is yes they do.  Just look at the fandom that surrounded the original, verses the remake (If I remember right, someone even killed themselves over the cancellation).  The fan furor over it's cancellation was so massive that the network brought it back a year later as the crappy Galactica 80.  That hardly ever happens on network TV in the US, and certainly wouldn't have happened for the remake.

And no, I don't believe he would do that, I believe that if he continued the 1970s storyline like he had planned to back in 2000, that Adama would be dead, and Appollo would be turned into the leader of the Cylons.

< Message edited by darcaine -- 14/8/2009 6:42:02 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 95
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 6:42:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

So wait, a tv show which had AWFUL ratings is what prompts a studio to then get a film out as soon as possibe?

I also disagree that it finished early. It has roughly the same number of epsiodes as The Sopranos for instance. Season 4 was pretty much two seperate seasons anyway. It also told a full story - its not like it was cancelled.

And SyFi has just commited itself to a full season of Caprica. For a show with awful ratings they seem determined to get spin offs.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 14/8/2009 6:45:40 PM >

(in reply to darcaine)
Post #: 96
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 6:45:58 PM   
darcaine

No, a massively popular franchise failed to receive a a large audience as a remake on Syfy, and Universal knows it has a much bigger potential hit on it's hands than Ron D Moore delivered them, so they are rushing out a movie that has nothing to do with the terribly rated remake, in the hopes of re-igniting the franchise.

Yeah, you don't exactly see Soprano movies and spin offs coming out right after the show ended do you?  Oh and btw, HBO isn't really network TV, it operates by completely different rules than cable/the big 4 networks do.

They were told before the cancellation that they were going to be canceled, and were given the ability to finish telling the story they wanted to tell, but there was still more that could be told.

As for Caprica, like I said, Syfy believes in and loves Ron Moore's version of BSG, and it brought them critical acclaim, if not ratings, so it's not surprising to see them want to explore other aspects of his universe in the hopes that it will bring more critical acclaim, and hopefully this time, ratings.

< Message edited by darcaine -- 14/8/2009 6:56:44 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 97
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 6:48:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

I really think you are giving far much credit to peoples views of the 70s show. Be interested to see DVD sales comparisons.

(in reply to darcaine)
Post #: 98
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 6:58:57 PM   
Rgirvan44

Indeed, the finale of Battlestar scored 2.5 million on the night with an extra 700,000 added thanks to DVR.

So over three million. And the season 4 ratings were actully the highest since season one/two.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 14/8/2009 6:59:58 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 99
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 8:26:28 PM   
Sphinx

I used to watch the original series, it wasn't bad - jane seymour was swoony, dirk was han Solo but from L.A I liked they're sweeping uniforms with the cloak. the theme tune was good.

But I think there are more out there who remember starbuck as a bloke rather than a girl...and prefer it that way. Could be down to nostalgia though

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to domcruise)
Post #: 100
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 9:41:33 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

a) It wasn't 15 years between 70s show and remake. Try adding another decade on.

b) TV has changed. There are far more tv channels out there and far more ways to watch something. Battlestar was on cable in the States. You really think sci-fi would commit to the series if the ratings were really that bad?

c) How many people genuinely, honestly loved the 70s show? And of them, how many are now in their 40s/50s?

d) Again - you think Universial didn't consider the reboot a success? DVDs sales, downloads etc,...If it wasn't a success they wouldn't hjave paid for an extra three seasons and two tv movies.

e) You forgot to mention that the script Singer did was basically the plot of the end of season two/start of season three.

f) Do you really REALLY think after what he tried to do with Superman Returns, Singer would make a film version of a 30 year tv show with holographic Lorne Green, brought back from the dead? He already did that - thats just one reason why this, if it ever gets made, will be a reboot.

Iv got my hand up and im 34. A lot of kids watched classic Battlestar Galactica during its original run.Even more during the 80's and 90's through reruns,videos,dvds.There were highly successful comic books and novels and toys based on the original show during this time period.Some of them were even written by Richard Hatch.There were annual Galactica reunions in L.A every year.I was there in '98 when i met most of the original cast.In fact its all this interest in the show decades after its cancellation which led to the Ron Moore version getting the green light.

For many,only Richard Hatch is Apollo,only Dirk Benedict is Starbuck(etc).

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 101
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 9:54:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

Was that the year the Second Coming trailer was released?

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 102
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 10:13:12 PM   
rikkie

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Iv got my hand up and im 34. A lot of kids watched classic Battlestar Galactica during its original run.Even more during the 80's and 90's through reruns,videos,dvds.There were highly successful comic books and novels and toys based on the original show during this time period.Some of them were even written by Richard Hatch.There were annual Galactica reunions in L.A every year.I was there in '98 when i met most of the original cast.In fact its all this interest in the show decades after its cancellation which led to the Ron Moore version getting the green light.

I'm 40, and absolutely loved the original at the time. I saw the release of Battlestar Galactica in the cinema and loved it so much I stayed in and watched it again immediately. However, that was then and I was a sci-fi nerd looking for something to give me a Star Wars fix. In retrospect it was utter rubbish, and has aged appallingly - I tried to watch the original film again only last year and couldn't get past about 20 minutes before turning it off. The new BSG is so head and shoulders beyond anything the original achieved.

I'm willing to bet anyone here a tenner that this won't happen with Bryan Singer. There's no way I can see it happening.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

Post #: 103
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 10:25:44 PM   
Rgirvan44

I would prefer Singer to have a shot at Star Trek when Abrams is done.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 104
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 10:27:22 PM   
Captain Black

I'm lost, was that the Richard Hatch follow up series that didn't materialise?

I like Bryan Singer a lot, even when he's missed the mark he's demonstrated an ability to keep his eye on story and character more than pyrotechnics. As such, I'm sure he's got an idea of where he's going with this. But I'm still disappointed. I get why studios will remake things until the cows come home, but not why people like Singer appear more interested in revisiting their childhoods (wasn't he attached to Logan's Run as well at some point?) than pushing forward and making something new. Why constrain yourself? I'd love to see an entirely original, sizeable (doesn't need to be excessive) budgeted space opera, even if you're throwing in an 'inspired by' credit if there was an existing element from a book or whatever that you're just desperate to use.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 105
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 10:31:58 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

I'm lost, was that the Richard Hatch follow up series that didn't materialise?

Yeah,

here is a trailer he made for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybIyzTO4zhU

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 106
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 10:46:02 PM   
Captain Black

Heh. I'd seen that before now you mention it. It hasn't improved.

Before Abrams got his paws on it, I'd have liked to see Singer do Star Trek, but in hindsight I think he was probably too much of a fan to have revitalised it in the way that was necessary. And again: original ideas people, come on.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 107
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 10:51:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, new ideas would be nice but you know studios would rather go for something they are familar with. Singer seems like he has a space opera movie he wants to get out his system. Something new would be nice.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 108
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 10:53:57 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

quote:

I'm 40, and absolutely loved the original at the time. I saw the release of Battlestar Galactica in the cinema and loved it so much I stayed in and watched it again immediately. However, that was then and I was a sci-fi nerd looking for something to give me a Star Wars fix. In retrospect it was utter rubbish, and has aged appallingly - I tried to watch the original film again only last year and couldn't get past about 20 minutes before turning it off. The new BSG is so head and shoulders beyond anything the original achieved.

I'm willing to bet anyone here a tenner that this won't happen with Bryan Singer. There's no way I can see it happening.

I am still unsure if in the 70's one the Cylon battleships were either as big as the human battleships themselves or almost the size of a human Viper from the little I watched and despised. Maybe it was the original series trying to philosoize som,ething about perception.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 109
- 15/8/2009 10:58:30 AM   
Carla24-7

NO NO NO NO NO... Why hand the man who massacred the character of Superman the opportunity to do the same to Galactica? Too soon. The TV series was excellent and in my opinion the best ever on Television, it would certainly suffer in comparison. Wait a few more years and don't give it to Singer.

Post #: 110
Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 11:31:02 AM   
nau96190

NO! This just deomnstrates Hollywoods complete loss of originality and imagination. The recent series was arguably amongst the most accomplished, original and exciting entertainment ever made, and now someone wants a piece of the action to line his pockets? this is shameless. What will be added to the story (seeing as the series had a pretty solid start, middle and ending)? NOTHING. Could Hollywood please just leave well alone and come up with something original, rather than recycling past successes for a quick buck. I WILL NOT go and see this should it be made.

Post #: 111
RE: Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 12:04:33 PM   
Tech_Noir

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42060

I can't believe this is really happening.

(in reply to nau96190)
Post #: 112
RE: Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 12:36:35 PM   
Wilbert

When the recent series of BSG was announced nobody thought it would end up being as good as it was. Why don't you all give this a shot and make up your minds when you see it before condemning it before anyone has even been cast?
There aren't going to be any more BSG tv series so if this is rubbish then it's not scuppering the chances of any further Galactica shows. If it's good, you get more Galactica. There's not really anything to lose here.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 113
RE: Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 12:53:51 PM   
Tech_Noir

The new BSG came two decades after the original, this is being announced just a few months after an epic 4-5 year journey has come to an end.

What exactly can they do that'll make it different and fresh? It's just too soon to see a new Adama, re-designed Vipers, Cylons, etc.

What made Galactica work wasn't just the overall story of a ragtag fleet going to Earth and escaping killer robots (or aliens as they might have been in the original) it was the ideas, characters, actors, directors, music, everything played a part in making it so great.

I'm sure everyone involved with the new Galactica don't give a toss about this, they're probably just glad they got the tell the whole story and end on their terms.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 15/8/2009 12:56:39 PM >

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 114
RE: Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 1:52:35 PM   
darth silas

Im hoping Singer learns from the success of JJ Abrams Star trek.Most of the success of that film was because JJ EMBRACED what was so special about the original and what made it great.Hopefully Singer will make this new Galactica more faithful to the original classic series.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 115
RE: Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 4:39:27 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

Im hoping Singer learns from the success of JJ Abrams Star trek.Most of the success of that film was because JJ EMBRACED what was so special about the original and what made it great.Hopefully Singer will make this new Galactica more faithful to the original classic series.

Like Batman and Robin was closer to the original 60s series.

Post #: 116
RE: Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 5:16:23 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

I'm pretty sure that there is a large number of old school Trekkies who hate the new movie. I don't agree with them, but they are out there.

Post #: 117
RE: Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 5:36:04 PM   
Tech_Noir

I wonder what Edward James Olmos thinks of all this.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 118
RE: Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 5:51:47 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I wonder what Edward James Olmos thinks of all this.

Hes too busy fighting an old enemy of Jim Kirk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR6Y2IkcqmI

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 119
RE: Singer + BSG = blatant bandwagon moneygrabbing - 15/8/2009 5:55:52 PM   
Tech_Noir

Bad sound editing didn't make it work.

BTW, Moore's Galactica had a special conference organised by the UN, the original had a chimp playing a robot dog.

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI