Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 11:19:12 PM   
Deviation

I am more perplexed on how he seems to hate it just for having women cast as male characters. It's rather ridiculous. And wasn't a human version in one of the original series' films? And the original soundtrack of the 70's one was poor at best and is mostly very dull, but it did look great, I'll give it that.

Cylons looked fine though, I do prefer the reboots. But this silas who complains about Batman being short and Bond being blonde so who knows...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 61
Surplus to Requirement - 13/8/2009 11:52:05 PM   
Blyman

At the risk of entering a geek-filled mine field of a debate, I don't see the point of this. I liked the tv series a lot and while I've no doubt that Singer would create an excellent movie I'd rather see him bring an original piece of sci-fi to the big screen. Plus I've met 'the' CAG and he was a ruddy nice bloke, no need to re-cast him!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
RE: Please no. - 14/8/2009 12:34:55 AM   
thepluginbaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garth_Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

As a devoted admirer of Ronald D. Moore's sublime series, how am I supposed to accept another version of Starbuck, Adama or Baltar?

The same way people who grew up with the original version had to deal with the remake: either look forward to a new and different take on the iconography and characters you love, or get angry, ignore it and potentially miss out on something special in the process. If the show can be revisited once, it can be revisited again. But I must say, it does feel far too soon. Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD. If it's going to happen, though, it's only fair really that Singer should be the one to get another crack at it. So I'm going to try and be optimistic about this.

I am obviously very passionate about Ron Moore's BSG, because it is a great TV show.  Before BSG I thought Lost was the benchmark for televisual sci-fi drama!  How wrong I was.  It just annoys me that not enough people have watched this brilliant show on the basis that they associate it with all the nerdy preconceptions of the science fiction genre.  Yet they probably will go off and watch Lost or Heroes or the latest half baked blockbuster (Terminator Salvation, Transformers 2).  If Bryan Singer does want to relaunch a BSG movie which harks back to the original star wars rip off, I just think it is a bit of a slap in the face of a quality TV show.  I realise 70s BSG has its fans, after watching Moore's BSG I did check out the original but I couldn't grasp what set it apart from Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers or any of those camp retro sci-fi shows.  Moore made a conventional war between man and killer robot a thrilling space opera peppered with ideas both philosophical where in the midst of brooding darkness there still remains hope and moments of happiness.     

Perhaps I should, like you, reserve judgement and remain optimistic, but the truth is I'm too proud of Moore's BSG as a benchmark in the science fiction genre as well as intelligent television based drama.  If you want a lively and fun sci-fi reboot I think Star Trek was successfully reimagined recently...  If you still haven't seen Moore's BSG then watch the miniseries pronto!

Incidentally, no robot will ever look as good as Tricia Helfer.  Period.     

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Garth_Marenghi)
Post #: 63
A Bit Soon??? How about... - 14/8/2009 12:39:25 AM   
sweetladybrick

I'm not a fan of either version (no bad blood, just never really watched it)- I've seen one of the old movies, and the Ron Moore mini-series that started the whole revival, but never followed either. Unless this is a continuation (no idea how it ended), it's a bit soon isn't it? And as someone else said, I'd like to see Synger work on something original instead. Unless of course he wants to do a remake of "Metropolis", as that could be incredible and vital- for a start, no one outside of 20's Germany has ever seen the full version of the original (despite its rediscovery last year in a film museum) and even if they have the "additional" footage is in very poor condition. After watching Superman Returns with some of it's beautiful and somewhat classic looking asthetics, I think Synger could make a wonderful version of the story on screen. I would love to see a modern filmmaker of his potential take on a vision of the future from the perspective of an early 20th century writer like Thea Von Harbou, regardless of what the future turned out to be. It would simply be magnificent. But if not, I'll just have to save up my pocket money and do it myself.

Post #: 64
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 12:47:10 AM   
darcaine

Apparantly it's official.  Entertainment weekly is reporting that Singer is signed on to the project and that it won't have anything to do with either series but instead will be a complete re-imagining of the premise. (Boo, I was really looking forward to a sequel to the original, but if they can incorporate some of those ideas into the new re-imaging and make it something completely different than what came before, then I'll be happy).

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/08/13/bryan-singer-battlestar-galactica-movie/

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 65
- 14/8/2009 1:46:21 AM   
CGoodwin

Look, I can walk over to my DVD shelf and pick up the boxed set of the original series. I can then move my hand a couple of inches and pick up the series from the noughties. They're both there. The existence of one does not erase the other. Calm down. Whenever this comes out, you'll always have your preferred version to love and cherish. Maybe the movie will turn out to be that, you never know.

Post #: 66
RE: - 14/8/2009 1:50:31 AM   
CGoodwin

Oh, if they do take one thing from the old original, I'd like them to use the theme tune. One of the best TV themes of the last few decades.

(in reply to CGoodwin)
Post #: 67
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 7:43:09 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: darcaine

Apparantly it's official.  Entertainment weekly is reporting that Singer is signed on to the project and that it won't have anything to do with either series but instead will be a complete re-imagining of the premise. (Boo, I was really looking forward to a sequel to the original, but if they can incorporate some of those ideas into the new re-imaging and make it something completely different than what came before, then I'll be happy).

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2009/08/13/bryan-singer-battlestar-galactica-movie/

Hollywood's gone mad!

I just cannot buy into another actor playing William Adama, Gaius Baltar, etc.

BTW, I was looking at the trivia on IMDB and in the original Galactica Apolla, Starbuck and Boomer were not pilot call signs but the characters' real names.

Count Baltar still makes me chuckle, the dastardly villain with a cape.

(in reply to darcaine)
Post #: 68
No need! - 14/8/2009 8:29:48 AM   
Funk_Knight

I used to watch the original Battlestar series when I was a kid. Even though it was developed as 'Star Wars for TV', it was still quite entertaining, though I lost interest at the amount of bad production and cheese as the series continued. Ron Moores version was not only excellent sci-fi but amazing TV. This is where I felt that BSG found it's own identity. The drama was firmly based in context. I have to say that Bryan Singer is a very good director and it is obvious that Universal want to do a 'Star Trek' with a big screen version of BSG. It would work exceptionally well as a trilogy, but it does seem weird to have it now so soon after such an amazing series that has firmly cast its place in sci-fi (and TV) history. It's the one series that doesn't apologise for itself for being science fiction by being camp in its ideas, writing, production values, or presentation; a mistake that a lot of modern sci-fi TV series make. Personally I don't think that there is any need for this movie. I also think that 'Smallville' had an impact on expectation on Singers Superman (that was good but a bit wet), and saw the TV verions of the characters more true to concepts/castings, so its possible that the same could happen with BSG. I personally think that it is too soon / not necessary. And in being a second reinvention and not a continuation, this film version has a big shadow to move out of. I suppose we'll have to see how it goes.

Post #: 69
RE: No need! - 14/8/2009 8:48:11 AM   
Rgirvan44

So lets have some casting ideas

Ian McKellen - Adama (actully this is unlikely given he has an engagement in New Zeland)
Kevin Spacey - Count Baltar

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Funk_Knight)
Post #: 70
Too soon - 14/8/2009 9:07:10 AM   
hamsolo77

Too soon and just not needed... I have nothing against Singer but I hope this tanks at the box office. Yet another massive budget that could have been split between smaller, more original films.... sigh

Post #: 71
FUCK RIGHT OFF! - 14/8/2009 9:11:39 AM   
the ageless stranger

So now the statute of limitations on re-boots had been reduced to, what, six months?

I'm usually a defender of Singer, I liked Superman Returns and Valkyrie, but he can go and whistle if he thinks he can mangle one of the best TV shows ever.

Stand And Be True

Post #: 72
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 9:21:14 AM   
HughesRoss

Too be quite honest, this news does not shock me one bit...

Hollywood have gone mad what with this idea and the in production Buffy movie without Joss and its lead star....

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to domcruise)
Post #: 73
Erm... Why? - 14/8/2009 9:45:07 AM   
portman180

OK, firstly can I just say that I am a huge fan of Bryan Singer and this is in no way directed at him personally.
Universal must be desperate. Why, after such a short period of time, do they want to "re-imagine/reboot" what has been the best show in fucking ages? Sure the last season was the worst but it was still damn sight better than the best season of most other shows. The new BSG was superb and was so good because it was serialized. It gave people a chane to get to know the characters and care about them - whats a 2 hour movie gonna do? I know Star Trek was a good reboot but the original was over 20 years ago so we got the full benefit of having it updated (effects, cast and the general scale of it were greatly impressive) BSG already had all of this so how are you planning to improve upon it? You can't. All you can do is re-hash it and even after this little rant of mine - i'd probably still go and watch it just because it is Bryan Singer at the helm :-)

Post #: 74
leave it the FRAK alone !! - 14/8/2009 9:57:04 AM   
jasonbourne.cs

the new series was awesome , some of , if not the best sci fi in years !!
equaled only maybe by firefly in terms of writing quality , what would be the point in another remake?

Post #: 75
NO NO NO!!!! - 14/8/2009 10:10:30 AM   
NeoFall

Bad Hollywood. The new BSG was the last word on BSG. It could not be improved on. And seriously, remaking a remake, come on.

Post #: 76
Are you fraking kidding me???? - 14/8/2009 10:26:42 AM   
Web Head

As a HUGE fan of the new BSG this just smacks of hollywood cashing in! We need this about as much as a toaster needs a hair dryer!Frak hollywood and Frak Singer, you missed your chance, the new TV show owned and you will not do it any better

Post #: 77
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 10:28:03 AM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Iv been critical in the past over Singers nostalgic approah to making Superman Returns,however in the case of a feature film version of Battlestar Galactica,i would welcome some nostalgia coming after the depressing abomination that was Ron Moores version.

What id like to see in a new Battlestar Galactica movie from Bryan Singer...

1)It should have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Ron Moore version.

2)Have the film be a sequel to the original series.In the late 90's there were many comic books which continued the story from the original series.Apollo was now commander of the fleet and the colonials had new more advanced weaponry.Count Iblis is immortal so could easily return(etc)

3)Have as many of the original surviving members of the cast return.If its a reboot,at least have them cameo.

4)Use Stu Philips original musical themes(some of the greatest music that was ever written for tv was in the original series,the main theme itself is the greatest tv theme EVER imo.)

5)DONT have Boxey and his robotic dog in it.The original series wasnt perfect you know.

6)Have the Cylons be a race of armoured androids.Not human replicants of the Ron Moore version.The Cylon centurions and fighters still look cool today.

7)Have Starbuck,Boomer,and Cain played by MEN.

8)Have Count Iblis and the beings of light make an appearance.

9)Most importantly,it has to be FUN.Have moments of drama and even darkness,but the original series was fun and exciting.The new film should be too.The Ron moore version was just depressing.

10)Have i mentioned it should ignore the Ron Moore version?

1. Why? its the definitve version of the BSG universe

2. Didnt they try that with Galactica 80? it was awful

3. Richard Hatch (Apollo in the the original) played one of the most important and best characters in the show in Tom Zarek, his story arc was fantastic

4. The original BSG theme IS in the the new series, it plays a few times throughout it and plays over the finale,and its fantastic, Bear McRearys score however, is in a class of its own, one of the best examples here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlcUwUwjLrs 
Thats some epic sci-fi music right there

5.Correct, Boxey was in 2 eps of the new BSG and forgotten about,and rightly so

6.The centurions are cool, thats why they're in the series:
[image]http://darthmojo.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/cylon_soldier01.jpg[/image]

7. This is just bizarre, Starbuck and Boomer are two of the most important characters in the show, and the fact they are played by women is a good thing, BSG is full of strong female characters, Roslin, Caprica Six, Starbuck, Boomer, Kain, Sharon, Deana, all major characters with properly fleshed out storylines, this just smacks of misogynism, oh wait, you're a Moore Bond fan, explains that, women should know their place eh?

8. Meh

9. BSG has plenty of fun moments, Baltar having imaginary sex with Six and being caught masturbating was hilarious,he had some genuinely laugh out loud moments through the 4 seasons, as are a lot of the exchanges between Adama and Tigh throughout the seasons, but at the end of it all its about the annihilation of the entire human race bar a few thousand survivors, its not supposed to be funny

10. You have, even though you couldnt be more wrong, Moore's version is one of the most critically acclaimed, well recieved and revered tv shows ever, the original was a campy 70's attempt at making a tv version of Star Wars, its like comparing the 60s version of Batman against The Dark Knight, campyness versus brilliant drama, did you even watch this show?doesnt seem like it

< Message edited by krudler -- 14/8/2009 11:10:21 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

Post #: 78
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 10:38:33 AM   
Rgirvan44

So are they just doing a remake of Saga of a Star World, the two parter that launched the 70s show?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 79
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 11:08:23 AM   
krudler

So casting choices eh? Here's mine,all of these actors would be perfect for it

[image]http://www.tvblog.ro/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/bsg_cast.jpg[/image]

< Message edited by krudler -- 14/8/2009 11:10:50 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 80
No way - 14/8/2009 11:12:59 AM   
Andybee76

Come on man the recent TV show, in my opinion, was one of the best TV shows/Science Fiction storys ever made. There is nothing that needs to added to or improved.

I do rate Bryan Singer and I actually liked Superman Returns, I have yet to see Valkyrie though!!

I think they should at least wait ten years before attempting this or if they have to then set it as a prequel to the events of the BSG mini series attack on Caprica!! Though that said the show had plenty of flashbacks to that period!!!

Post #: 81
RE: leave it the FRAK alone !! - 14/8/2009 11:26:44 AM   
Andybee76

quote:

ORIGINAL: jasonbourne.cs

the new series was awesome , some of , if not the best sci fi in years !!
equaled only maybe by firefly in terms of writing quality , what would be the point in another remake?

Are you sure?  I really liked Firefly but I think BSG is much much better!!

I have and always will be, your friend

(in reply to jasonbourne.cs)
Post #: 82
RE: No need! - 14/8/2009 11:34:33 AM   
Andybee76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Ian McKellen - Adama (actully this is unlikely given he has an engagement in New Zeland)

WHAT!!! Are you high??  Just cos they've worked with Singer before does not make them right for those roles!!!  Edward Olmos is perfect as Adama and would take some beating so just get him in again!!  Baltar would be best played by someone younger and weedier than Kevin Spacey someone like hmm James Callis!!!

My point here is that the TV show was perfect and the casting of all characters was perfect there is no need for this remake unless it has an orgy with Caprica Six, Starbuck, Ellen Tigh, Boomer and Deanna then I am in!!!

I have and always will be, your friend

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 83
RE: No need! - 14/8/2009 11:44:34 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andybee76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

WHAT!!! Are you high??  Just cos they've worked with Singer before does not make them right for those roles!!!  Edward Olmos is perfect as Adama and would take some beating so just get him in again!!  Baltar would be best played by someone younger and weedier than Kevin Spacey someone like hmm James Callis!!!

My point here is that the TV show was perfect and the casting of all characters was perfect there is no need for this remake unless it has an orgy with Caprica Six, Starbuck, Ellen Tigh, Boomer and Deanna then I am in!!!

Look at my Avatar.

Of course I'm joking.

(in reply to Andybee76)
Post #: 84
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 12:01:12 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Nuclear holocaust is not meant to be light and fluffy. I'm really stunnned by how much you hate Moore's BSG and put the original on such a high pedestal.

The original series did not ignore the repurcussions of the destruction of the colonies.In the extended version of ''Saga of a star world'',there are many scenes where the characters face the reality of whats happened.And there were a few episodes(''Take the celestra'' and ''War of the gods'') which dealt with other ships and societies in the fleet which were worse off than others because of the dire situation they were all in.

But the show wisely focused on action and adventure.Im not saying the original series was perfect(that bloody kid and his robo dog,the endless use of stock footage).The cast were solid(Dirk Benedicts Starbuck is one of my favourite tv characters ever).

The show was cancelled not because of bad ratings(it was in fact quite popular)but it was the most expensive show on tv at the time with a budget of one million dollars an ep and the studio pulled the plug(which they later regretted and foolishly tried to bring it back as the AWFUL Galactica 1980).

The show was just finding its feet when it ended.The Cylons were being left behind and the Colonials were facing new adversaries and challenges.Still,episodes like ''The Living Legend'' and ''War of the gods'' are truly classic slices of tv sci-fi.Patrick Mcnees Count Iblis was a terrific villain that i would have loved to see return.

You obviously love the ''dark'' and ''edgy'' Battlestar Tech,and thats fine.But about two thirds of the way through season 2,i was just hoping most of the human characters would just slit their own throats and be done with it.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 85
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 12:12:38 PM   
darth silas

Here are my casting choices for a new Battlestar Galactica movie that would be faithful to the orignal series.

Adama-Michael Douglas

Apollo-Eric Bana.

Starbuck-Matthew Mchonaghy

Colonel Tigh-Dennis Haysbert

Boomer-Roger Cross

Cassiopeia-Elisha Cuthbert

Sheba-Emily Blunt.

Athena-Ann hathaway

Baltar-Brian Cox.

Count Iblis-David Warner.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

Post #: 86
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 14/8/2009 12:24:38 PM   
blackduck

Not sure how a film of Battlestar would work structurally. One of the main themes of both versions of BG was that earth was really, really far away.Not sure how they could fully do the time span needed in a 2-3 hour movie.
Also who is going to see it? Star Trek was a show with a limited budget and no real plot arc. It had plenty of room to expand into movie format. BG (both versions) both satisfactorally completed thier story arcs and never suffered from budget constraints. Its proball better to compare it to X-files. Popular tv show that struggled to bring anything new to the big screen.

I am but an egg.

Post #: 87
no, no ,no and FRACK no - 14/8/2009 12:53:30 PM   
jon.allen47

Ok, quite simple really.

One word.

No. I can appreciate that reimagining a poor or very old/unused concept can be a good idea. But this? Come on Hollywood, do you really think this is a good idea?

We've already had the complete reimagining of the old concept. And it was good. Very good. Fracking awesome in fact. So do something else.

Please.

Post #: 88
Bryan, you don't need to do this... - 14/8/2009 2:15:47 PM   
MadMatt

I like Bryan Singer. I like him a lot. I like him to the point where I can read the 5-star Superman Returns review without snorting derisively. But I can't help but feel that he's on a hiding to nothing with this project. By not using the cast of either of the previous iterations, he'll be upsetting two established fanbases. And, for the better part of a decade we've already had a Battlestar presence on screen, so there's no pent-up, unfulfilled desire for the property anymore. All this will do is damage his career further, I feel. Please, Bryan, put this on the backburner at least for a few years and focus on fresh ideas. Give us that Christian Bale thriller that was getting a good buzz recently, but don't contribute to this endless reboot/remake culture that Hollywood is in thrall to.

Post #: 89
Ruined already - 14/8/2009 4:01:54 PM   
nybras

Shouldn't they bring the whole cast of the new and very successful TV series onboard?
Sweet Jesus this just like the remake syndrome thats plaguing Hollywood these past few years. I'm willing to keep an open mind on this matter but not holding my breath.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI