Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 2:26:40 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: domcruise

i'll be up for a battlestar movie. and yeah why not have a woman Starbuck. she was hot. it cant be any worse than the stupidly overated tv show. i dont know why empire keep bigging it up. lets faceit, its no LOST is it? no. And yeah, up for the big screen remake of saturdays Casualty as well. bring it. why not.

No its no Lost, in that it makes sense and the writers actually knew how to end it, and its good

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to domcruise)
Post #: 31
Sod Galactica, Larson, Bring Back Manimal!!! - 13/8/2009 2:29:59 PM   
Garth_Marenghi

I jest. But I think I'm going to take an unusual stance on this for a geek, and keep an open mind. I like Singer, he deserves to get his career back on track. Although I can't help but think that the Bale/Wahlberg revenge thriller being hyped a couple of months ago would have been a better choice.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 2:37:36 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

i'll be up for a battlestar movie. and yeah why not have a woman Starbuck. she was hot. it cant be any worse than the stupidly overated tv show. i dont know why empire keep bigging it up. lets faceit, its no LOST is it? no. And yeah, up for the big screen remake of saturdays Casualty as well. bring it. why not.

No its no Lost, in that it makes sense and the writers actually knew how to end it, and its good

krudler, you hate LOST! Come here and give me a man hug.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 33
- 13/8/2009 2:50:45 PM   
VijayUK

@ waltham1979: I hope you enjoy the mini series, enough to push you onto BSG Season 1. As for if it's more Stargate than Babylon5 - I cna only say it looks and feels different to both, hugely entertaining and thoughtful. Good luck!

Post #: 34
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 3:00:31 PM   
Kazuya

I thought he was trying to get back on the X-Men wagon? Apparently not.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 35
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 3:07:07 PM   
shool

I really need to start watching BSG. I've got it all downloaded and everything.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 36
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 3:24:33 PM   
Kazuya

I've never seen it either, but I want to..It's just that I'm watching a lot of other tv shows currently and there are a lot of episodes of BSG

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 37
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 3:30:16 PM   
shool

Thats exactly whats been holding me back as it is a big undertaking especially when there is loads of other stuff to watch.

So much to see, so little time.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 38
Let's Face it... - 13/8/2009 3:39:33 PM   
MaxRenn

It will only be good if Dirk Benedict is in it...same goes for the A-Team movie.

Post #: 39
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 3:42:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

There isn't actully all that much. Your average tv show will get 100 episodes +. Battlestar had something closer something like 75 episodes along with the miniseries and two tv movies.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 40
Battlestar's Fine - 13/8/2009 4:08:41 PM   
kittybinks

As much as I would like to see Battlestar on the big screen..................there's no point!
The quality of the Writing/acting/Effects of the reboot along with the story arc renders this angle moot!
Why not go for a prequel? the creation of the Cylons, the revolt and 1st Cylon war. NOW I'D PAY TO SEE THAT!
I suspect all of the established fanbase would also be on board, OH! wait a minute! That's what is already happening as Caprica has already been greenlighted. Can't wait!
So leave it alone Bryan Singer, just look what you did for superman!

Post #: 41
Please no. - 13/8/2009 4:08:59 PM   
thepluginbaby

I don't get it? Another restart of Battlestar Galactica? Why? As a devoted admirer of the Ronald D. Moore's sublime series, how am I supposed to accept another version of Starbuck, Adama or Baltar? It can't be another reinvention, it just can't! It beggars belief!

Post #: 42
Unless - 13/8/2009 4:12:07 PM   
thepluginbaby

Unless it is about the first war between man and cylon. With a young Adama 'husker' as the role. I guess that was sort of touched upon in The Razor. Would be cinematic, but regarding the nature of the show in general it would probably be a hard sell marketing wise.

Post #: 43
RE: - 13/8/2009 4:47:25 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: VijayUK

@ waltham1979: I hope you enjoy the mini series, enough to push you onto BSG Season 1. As for if it's more Stargate than Babylon5 - I cna only say it looks and feels different to both, hugely entertaining and thoughtful. Good luck!

You see, I really loved Babylon5. Thought it was absolutely immense, and the only sci-fi show on TV that, in my opinion, has came close in entertainment level was Firefly. Stargate on the other hand I thought was utter wank...I dont care if MacGyver was in it or not !!

< Message edited by waltham1979 -- 13/8/2009 4:49:27 PM >

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to VijayUK)
Post #: 44
RE: RE: - 13/8/2009 4:51:38 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: VijayUK

You see, I really loved Babylon5. Thought it was absolutely immense, and the only sci-fi show on TV that, in my opinion, has came close in entertainment level was Firefly. Stargate on the other hand I thought was utter wank...I dont care if MacGyver was in it or not !!

Yeah - Battlestar has much more in common with Babylon 5. Even the uniforms kinda look similar!

No aliens though.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 45
- 13/8/2009 5:31:25 PM   
VijayUK

Crikey! People who like quality sci-fi, nice to hear. Firefly and Babylon 5 were just fantastic, and I would happily put BSG 2003 up alongside those gems. And yup, Stargate sucked(!)

Post #: 46
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 5:48:44 PM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

I thought Lost has one of the best pilot episodes of a tv show I'd ever seen but I only managed a few eps of the first season before it appeared to be shite, fans blab on about how people dont "get it" but theres not much to get, its just shite, to quote Zack and Miri "ah man they're on the island, they're off the island, who can follow that shit"

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 47
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 8:43:04 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

I thought Lost has one of the best pilot episodes of a tv show I'd ever seen but I only managed a few eps of the first season before it appeared to be shite, fans blab on about how people dont "get it" but theres not much to get, its just shite, to quote Zack and Miri "ah man they're on the island, they're off the island, who can follow that shit"

Same here, the most exciting or remotely interesting that happened after the pilot was a wild boar attack. And John Locke aside I truly cannot give a damn about anyone in it.

And I must watch Zack and Miri now.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 48
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 8:43:42 PM   
darcaine

From Universals point of view, it makes perfect sense to ignore the RDM version and go with Larsons version of the BSG universe.

RDM's version had ratings in the 2 million viewers range, so at most maybe 10 million fans?  Larsons version had ratings in the 10s of millions of viewers range, and someone even killed themselves over it's cancellation (it was canceled because of financial reasons, not because of ratings/popularity - blame the bean counters).  From Universals perspective, Larson's version has a much larger potential fanbase.

Don't get me wrong, I loved RDM's take on the franchise, and can't wait for Caprica, but at the same time, I'm excited to see what Larson and Singer can bring to the table with a completely different take and a much lighter tone (aliens in BSG again, yes please).  I loved the original, and I loved the reboot.  Bring on all the BSG goodness you can muster Hollywood.

Oh and I don't blame Larson for not liking RDM's version.  It's the same thing that happened to Stephen King and the Shining.  He hated hated hated Stanley Kubrick/Jack Nickelson's version because it completely shredded his vision of the story, so he eventually got around to remaking the Shining the way he originally envisioned it.   It was his creation, his baby, and he has every right to hate what someone else does with it, regardless of how great of a job they do.  

< Message edited by darcaine -- 13/8/2009 8:51:58 PM >

Post #: 49
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 8:50:34 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: darcaine

From Universals point of view, it makes perfect sense to ignore the RDM version and go with Larsons version of the BSG universe.

RDM's version had ratings in the 2 million viewers range, so at most maybe 10 million fans?  Larsons version had ratings in the 10s of millions of viewers range, and someone even killed themselves over it's cancellation (it was canceled because of financial reasons, not because of ratings/popularity - blame the bean counters).  From Universals perspective, Larson's version has a much larger potential fanbase.

Don't get me wrong, I loved RDM's take on the franchise, and can't wait for Caprica, but at the same time, I'm excited to see what Larson and Singer can bring to the table with a completely different take and a much lighter tone (aliens in BSG again, yes please).  I loved the original, and I loved the reboot.  Bring on all the BSG goodness you can muster Hollywood.

1. Larsons show was made in a time when there weren't anywhere near the same number of television channels

2. The ratings may have started out strong but they fell sharply as the series went on. It was the combination of these ratings and the costs.

3. I'm not sure how much nostaiga people have for the 70s show. Many of the kids who watched it are now into their 40s, and unlike Star Wars it hasn'tr stayed in the public eye apart from jokes on Robot Chicken.

Sure Moore version didn't have as much viewers, but I don't see the worth of continuing a tv show from 30 years ago. If you do a reboot, make it a reboot of both TV shows.

Agree about what you say about Kubrick and King, but Larson does allow his name on screen in Moores show - who knows if he is getting money from it? Also remember Stephen King then went off and made a tv version of the Shining. The results were not pretty.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 13/8/2009 8:53:08 PM >

(in reply to darcaine)
Post #: 50
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 8:54:11 PM   
darcaine

Actually the ratings stayed pretty strong all the way through the season.

And I'm just saying the popularity of the original far far outweighed the popularity of the reboot, and that is going to weigh heavily on any decision Universal makes.

Whats the point of rebooting the reboot when the reboot just ended?

Yeah, I agree about the tv version not being pretty.  It was an absolute bore, but at least he got to portray the characters the way he wanted  them portrayed.  And I can't fault Larson for wanting the same thing for his creation.

< Message edited by darcaine -- 13/8/2009 8:56:20 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 51
RE: Please no. - 13/8/2009 8:55:59 PM   
Garth_Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

As a devoted admirer of Ronald D. Moore's sublime series, how am I supposed to accept another version of Starbuck, Adama or Baltar?

The same way people who grew up with the original version had to deal with the remake: either look forward to a new and different take on the iconography and characters you love, or get angry, ignore it and potentially miss out on something special in the process. If the show can be revisited once, it can be revisited again. But I must say, it does feel far too soon. Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD. If it's going to happen, though, it's only fair really that Singer should be the one to get another crack at it. So I'm going to try and be optimistic about this.

Mick Shrimpton: As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 52
RE: Please no. - 13/8/2009 9:02:25 PM   
darcaine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Garth_Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

As a devoted admirer of Ronald D. Moore's sublime series, how am I supposed to accept another version of Starbuck, Adama or Baltar?

The same way people who grew up with the original version had to deal with the remake: either look forward to a new and different take on the iconography and characters you love, or get angry, ignore it and potentially miss out on something special in the process. If the show can be revisited once, it can be revisited again. But I must say, it does feel far too soon. Just because you CAN do something doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD. If it's going to happen, though, it's only fair really that Singer should be the one to get another crack at it. So I'm going to try and be optimistic about this.

I have to agree.  I missed the first half of season 1 and the mini series because I refused to watch a reboot where Starbuck was a female, and all the other things that were different, but eventually I saw a preview for it and gave it a shot and boy am I glad I did.  Now I have two different BSG universes to enjoy instead of just one.

(in reply to Garth_Marenghi)
Post #: 53
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 9:03:31 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: darcaine

Actually the ratings stayed pretty strong all the way through the season.

And I'm just saying the popularity of the original far far outweighed the popularity of the reboot, and that is going to weigh heavily on any decision Universal makes.

Whats the point of rebooting the reboot when the reboot just ended?

Yeah, I agree about the tv version not being pretty.  It was an absolute bore, but at least he got to portray the characters the way he wanted  them portrayed.  And I can't fault Larson for wanting the same thing for his creation.

I would say the problem is that if you do a continuation of the 70s show you require the general public to be enagaged and know the background to the world. That all important 12 - 20 age group will not have the awareness of the franchise. That is who makes and breaks these films.

Doing another reboot would introduce this generation to the universe. But even then many of them will think either a) hasn't this already been done? or b) think it is a continuation of the tv show and end up being confused.

There are a lot of problems with going down this route. I also don't have a huge amount of confidence in Larson these days. The man made Team Knight Rider!

(in reply to darcaine)
Post #: 54
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 9:12:23 PM   
darcaine

I think it's just a matter of whether or not they can do well continuing the story from the 70s show, but at the same time make it capable of standing on it's own.   ( I'm not really confident in Larson either, but there are thankfully other people involved and hopefully cooler heads will prevail).

As long as the characters are rich, the action is exciting, and the story is decent, kids will line up for it, and parents who loved the original will have a reason to, as well.   But it'll be up to universal to market it properly.

Of course I don't really expect any of those things to actually happen, but I'm keeping and open mind and hopeful heart, cause I really want to be told a completely different story in the BSG universe.

< Message edited by darcaine -- 13/8/2009 9:13:59 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 55
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 9:15:48 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, the chances of this actully happening are pretty remote I think.

Like I say, seeing Singer take on a space opera all of his own would be much more interesting.

(in reply to darcaine)
Post #: 56
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 9:17:39 PM   
Garth_Marenghi

Going off on a tangent, perhaps Singer will be too busy with the X-Men universe? (I'm making an assumption here, of course, but you can see why I would...) http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i367bfce562b7ee622d717b16de3c0ee3

Mick Shrimpton: As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.

(in reply to darcaine)
Post #: 57
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 9:19:56 PM   
darcaine

That would be pretty interesting.  Or even a feature film version of Farscape.  I'd pay to see that. 

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/newfilms.htm Here is a pretty interesting article about what Singer/desanto's BSG TV series was going to be like.  They also had human like cylons but did it in a very different way.  I can't help but want to be told that BSG story. 

Hopefully the new movie follows along those lines.

< Message edited by darcaine -- 13/8/2009 9:36:54 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 58
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 10:03:00 PM   
darth silas

Iv been critical in the past over Singers nostalgic approah to making Superman Returns,however in the case of a feature film version of Battlestar Galactica,i would welcome some nostalgia coming after the depressing abomination that was Ron Moores version.

What id like to see in a new Battlestar Galactica movie from Bryan Singer...

1)It should have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Ron Moore version.

2)Have the film be a sequel to the original series.In the late 90's there were many comic books which continued the story from the original series.Apollo was now commander of the fleet and the colonials had new more advanced weaponry.Count Iblis is immortal so could easily return(etc)

3)Have as many of the original surviving members of the cast return.If its a reboot,at least have them cameo.

4)Use Stu Philips original musical themes(some of the greatest music that was ever written for tv was in the original series,the main theme itself is the greatest tv theme EVER imo.)

5)DONT have Boxey and his robotic dog in it.The original series wasnt perfect you know.

6)Have the Cylons be a race of armoured androids.Not human replicants of the Ron Moore version.The Cylon centurions and fighters still look cool today.

7)Have Starbuck,Boomer,and Cain played by MEN.

8)Have Count Iblis and the beings of light make an appearance.

9)Most importantly,it has to be FUN.Have moments of drama and even darkness,but the original series was fun and exciting.The new film should be too.The Ron moore version was just depressing.

10)Have i mentioned it should ignore the Ron Moore version?

< Message edited by darth silas -- 13/8/2009 10:07:16 PM >

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to darcaine)
Post #: 59
RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? - 13/8/2009 10:13:48 PM   
Tech_Noir

Nuclear holocaust is not meant to be light and fluffy. I'm really stunnned by how much you hate Moore's BSG and put the original on such a high pedestal.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Bryan Singer Boarding Battlestar? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI