Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, Lehane

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, Lehane Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, Lehane - 9/8/2009 9:03:01 PM   
Bickle

This is a thread for discussing the writers of The Wire and their books.

I've recently read Lush Life by Richard Price and The Turnaround by George Pelecanos. I loved them both. Lush Life took me about 60/70 pages to get into it but once I did I couldn't put it down, much like the first season of The Wire. I'll be reading Blood Brothers by Price and Homicide by David Simon next. I haven't read anything by Dennis Lehane. Any recommendations?

I want to read Clockers by Price too.

< Message edited by Bickle -- 9/8/2009 9:06:09 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, ... - 9/8/2009 9:51:33 PM   
benmharper

I've read Homecide, i thought it was great. You also see alot of things that inspired certain parts of The Wire in it. I've got the Corner to read next.

The Generation Kill book is also a good read

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 2
RE: The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, ... - 10/8/2009 12:26:47 AM   
BlueBalls

I've read King Suckerman by Pelecanos, which I enjoyed and I am looking to finish the rest of the D.C Quartet when I can.

< Message edited by BlueBalls -- 10/8/2009 12:28:00 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
I declare undying love to BlueBalls.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 3
RE: The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, ... - 10/8/2009 9:21:00 AM   
Bickle

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

I've read Homecide, i thought it was great. You also see alot of things that inspired certain parts of The Wire in it. I've got the Corner to read next.

I bought Generation Kill the other day at Tesco. It looks good

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 4
RE: The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, ... - 10/8/2009 12:04:33 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bickle

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

I bought Generation Kill the other day at Tesco. It looks good

it's fantastic, but not by the Wire people...
i have Homicide to read at some point...

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 5
RE: The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, ... - 21/8/2009 8:45:27 AM   
MartinBlank76

Lehane is one of my favourite writers, in my opinion the man cant put a foot wrong.

I started with the Kenzie and Gennaro books, then Mystic River, Shutter Island and his latest The Given Day.

So many times people say books are 'unputdownable', with Lehane I took that literally!

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 6
RE: The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, ... - 21/8/2009 12:59:07 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Homicide is probably the best book I have read in the last 3 years or so. It's simply blistering. The Corner is also excellent, I read them back to back and if you can I woudl recomend you do the same. Both books together are a damning indictment of the failure on "The War on Drugs" plus theer are some stories that overlap which in a way makes the Corner feel somewhat like a sequel (although factual!).

I also love Denis Lehane's stuff. As said above the Kenzie & Gennaro novels are great if you like crime fiction. Gone Baby Gone is probably the standout but Prayers for Rain is also excellent.

Mystic River is simply a brilliantly written book, Shutter Island is a great hokey story written by a master of crime fiction and it shows. I haven't read Any Given Day yet so I must get my hands on it

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 7
RE: The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, ... - 21/8/2009 1:03:51 PM   
Rinc

I posted this in The Wire thread in Small Screen but thought i would again

Still haven't read it and i've had it since Christmas!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The writers of The Wire - Simon, Price, Pelecanos, Lehane Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI