Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) - 1/8/2009 4:04:30 PM   
losthighway

I'd never heard of it until reading about it on Fangoria's website but here's the synopsis and book cover... It arrives in the UK on 24th September - and imo sounds pretty decent!

The official sequel to Bram Stoker's classic novel Dracula, written by his direct descendent and endorsed by the Stoker family. The story begins in 1912, twenty-five years after the events described in the original novel. Dr. Jack Seward, now a disgraced morphine addict, hunts vampires across Europe with the help of a mysterious benefactor. Meanwhile, Quincey Harker, the grown son of Jonathan and Mina, leaves law school to pursue a career in stage at London's famous Lyceum Theatre. The production of Dracula at the Lyceum, directed and produced by Bram Stoker, has recently lost its star. Luckily, Quincey knows how to contact the famed Hungarian actor Basarab, who agrees to take the lead role. Quincey soon discovers that the play features his parents and their former friends as characters, and seems to reveal much about the terrible secrets he's always suspected them of harbouring. But, before he can confront them, Jonathan Harker is found murdered. The writers were able to access Bram Stoker's hand-written notes and have included in their story characters and plot threads that had been excised by the publisher from the original printing over a century ago. Dracula is one of the most recognized fictional characters in the world, having spawned dozens of multi-media spin-offs. The Un-Dead is the first Dracula story to enjoy the full support of the Stoker estate since the original 1931 movie starring Bela Lugosi.

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.
Post #: 1
RE: Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) - 2/8/2009 12:53:45 PM   
ky

Read about this last year. Became a big fan of the original during uni, and it's really the only vampire story I like. What I love about it is the writing style, the structure, the atmosphere, the era and settings. With all of the crap vampire stuff hanging around (Twilight, True Blood), I'm pretty excited about this. Hopefully, it'll be as good as the first. And I really hope it's written in a similar way to the first. Love that cover, too.

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 2
RE: Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) - 4/8/2009 8:00:02 PM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: ky

Read about this last year. Became a big fan of the original during uni, and it's really the only vampire story I like. What I love about it is the writing style, the structure, the atmosphere, the era and settings. With all of the crap vampire stuff hanging around (Twilight, True Blood), I'm pretty excited about this. Hopefully, it'll be as good as the first. And I really hope it's written in a similar way to the first. Love that cover, too.

Have you read True Blood?? Having just finished the first book this evening and I can honestly say that it's very good and well worth your time.

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 3
RE: Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) - 6/8/2009 4:38:40 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

So help me, I'll read/watch any old tat as long as it features vampires, but I do really enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse novels.  Only read the first two and only seen first 3 or 4 eps of True Blood, though (just got Sky and damn am I loving the FX channel!! Anyhoo).

Not sure why the fact this book is approved by the Stoker family should make any difference, though - it's not as though they're a noted family of literary geniuses. Still, this looks and sounds pretty interesting so I'm sure I'll end up giving it a go!

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

Post #: 4
RE: Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) - 8/8/2009 6:22:08 PM   
ky

I realised the other day, while I was on the bus back from work, that what I actually meant was Blood Ties, which is a TV show that looked exactly the bloody same (no pun intended) as another show called Moonlight.

So forgive me on the True Blood thing. I was mistaken.

"You forgot to say please."

Check out my blog, and feel free to post comments:

http://cinemaguts.blogspot.com/

Post #: 5
RE: Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) - 8/8/2009 11:06:35 PM   
separkin

I'm rather worried, to be honest. I don't want to read a sequel to my favourite book ever and find it a disappointment... but I'll end up reading it anyway.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
-Albert Einstein

(in reply to ky)
Post #: 6
RE: Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) - 26/8/2009 12:49:31 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

So help me, I'll read/watch any old tat as long as it features vampires, but I do really enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse novels. Only read the first two and only seen first 3 or 4 eps of True Blood, though (just got Sky and damn am I loving the FX channel!! Anyhoo).

Not sure why the fact this book is approved by the Stoker family should make any difference, though - it's not as though they're a noted family of literary geniuses. Still, this looks and sounds pretty interesting so I'm sure I'll end up giving it a go!

Once again Shaunette you speak for me as well!

Sookie Stackhouse books are quite good.

I think I'll probably ask Santa for this book and give it a read.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 7
RE: Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) - 18/9/2009 11:54:14 PM   
losthighway

IT'S OUT!!!

I bought it at Tesco this evening for 3.86!

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 8
RE: Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) - 19/9/2009 2:15:26 PM   
Salvatore Romano

Raaaaaaawr!

As a man watching his brother struggle to find a literary agent, this makes my blood boil.

The book was sold, published, film rights into the bargain... all on the basis of a mans family name. Bloody show business.

He isn't even a writer! Stoker was contacted by the Dracula historian, who had come up with the idea, and they 'wrote' the book between them. If it's actually well written that will be a small miracle: a horror novel written by a 'Dracula historian' and a man who had - until recently - never put pen to paper.

The whole thing reminds me of an Eddie Murphy film I watched in the cinema (to my shame) in my early teens: The Distingushed Gentleman. Plot premise? Murphy decides to win an election simply by having the same last name as the last highly popular Governor / Mayor (I forget, it was years ago).

"You're the last real Stoker...why don't you write a Dracula book?"
"I've never wanted to write, don't really want to either"
"It'll make us a boatload of money"
"Ok!"

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Dracula: The Un-Dead (Official sequel to Dracula!) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI