Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 22/2/2010 2:38:58 PM   
Timon

It's good that they're building Crixus up, because legend states that he (highlight to read) was one of the main leaders of the Slave Rebellion and Spartacus's right-hand man, or at least a co-leader.

But yeah, he does seem to be getting a lot of the storylines not to mention the sex scenes.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 31
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 3/3/2010 9:56:40 AM   
Timon

I underestimated Batiatus - he is a complete bastard!

Felt sorry for Barca though - I like how the series completely plays with your expectations. You expected him to spare the child and believed he would have when he told his lover, but at the end of the day he did what he was ordered and killed him. Loved it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 32
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 3/3/2010 10:14:33 AM   
Rgirvan44

It was a decent episode. The whole thing is so damn cheesy. It is like my tv junk food for the week. John Hannah seems to be stalking around the set like a Roman version of Malcolm Tucker.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 33
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 10/3/2010 4:40:20 PM   
Jeffrey

Bravo have purchased the UK rights to for its summer lineup.

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 34
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 16/3/2010 9:49:24 PM   
salparadise

I've been watching this religiously with my girlfriend, and neither of us are really sure why we like it.  While I'm watching it I'm well aware of the hammy dialogue and cheesy plot but at the every episode I find myself thinking 'I can't wait to see what happens next week'.  Apparently it's on Bravo from the summer, I couldn't really imagine it on any other channel.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 35
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 30/3/2010 10:24:41 AM   
Timon

Just catching up on the episodes I missed and Christ... they gelded that Gaul who was hung like a donkey. That's something I never thought I'd see on TV.

Plus Ep.9 is really cranking up the sex quota. Blimey.

(in reply to salparadise)
Post #: 36
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 3/4/2010 9:55:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

This freakin show.

Its pretty damn good. Glad to see that they are getting more inventive with the kills. Popping someones head like a spot - excellent.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 37
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 4/4/2010 8:36:36 PM   
Timon

Aww poor Varos.

At least it's all now kicking off with Crixus back on form, Spartacus learning the truth about his wife's death and Bathiatus killing all who have wronged him.

I can't help but feel the episode was lacking on the sex front though...

It's now known in my household as Spartacus: Tits and Ass.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 38
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 4/4/2010 8:50:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

I wonder if we are seeing the slave rebelleon at seasons end.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 39
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 11/4/2010 2:35:40 AM   
Rgirvan44

Ok, this show is now offically awesome.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 40
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 12/4/2010 9:26:52 AM   
Timon

Oooh... it's all coming together now. Next week - Slave Rebellion! Everyone now has a reason to rebel, though whether Doctori will or not is another matter.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 41
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 12/4/2010 11:08:01 PM   
kenada_woo

Loving this show too!

It's entertainingly over the top and everyone in it are absolute bastards before eventually getting some development in the later episodes.

Glossy gory fun that gets better character wise as it goes on

http://dereksdontrunfilms.blogspot.co.uk/

"You bailed out a Jamaican street named Monkey the other day, I want him. This other piece of shit, Screwface, I want him. I know you're a scumbag and a puke, I don't mind that, but give me what I need and I'll leave here a nice guy. If you don't, I'm gonna fuck you up. "

Hatcher. Marked For Death

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 42
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 13/4/2010 9:04:07 AM   
Timon

That's the thing about the series. When it first started I didn't really care about the writing, but full credit to the writers - they have done a good job developing all the characters and pulling together plots that you thought had been forgotten (Doctori investigating Barca's disappearance for instance).

(in reply to kenada_woo)
Post #: 43
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 13/4/2010 10:19:37 AM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, looking back at my intial comments (which I still stand by) the opening episodes were a little bland. But about a third of the way in the writers seemed to get the feel of the show and it has really taken off. John Hannah in particular has been a lot of fun to watch. Hope that they don't kill him off next week.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 44
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand Prequel Series? - 13/4/2010 12:40:28 PM   
Timon

The cable channel Starz is developing a six-episode "prequel” series for Spartacus: Blood and Sand, to deal with the fact that star Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) is undergoing treatmentm for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

The show has been a break-out hit for Starz, and a second season was to begin filming this month, although Whitfield's illness put an end to that. Vulture Blog speculates, probably correctly, that the prequel series is seen as one way to maintain the show's current momentum, as well as a way to take advantage of the writers and actors all "expensively standing by.”
Such a series is not definite, as the network is reportedly also looking at other options.

Perhaps how Doctori and Crixus became Gladiators?

< Message edited by Timon -- 13/4/2010 12:41:24 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 45
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand Prequel Series? - 13/4/2010 1:08:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

As I understand it, Whitfield is pencilled in to return to filming in September, so this is an addition, rather than a replacement for series 2.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 46
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand Prequel Series? - 13/4/2010 1:36:34 PM   
MI Cruise

apparently this will be starting in the UK from next month?

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 47
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 17/4/2010 2:04:45 PM   
The Seed

Saw this featured on Charlie Brooker's 'You Have Been Watching...', it looks hilarious.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 48
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 17/4/2010 9:13:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

HOLYYYYYYY SHIT!!!!

Now that is how you do a season finale. Not since BSG have I seen a show so willing to go balls to the wall.

Doctore's name reveal was so awesome, as was his decision to take arms.

Will be sad to see Hannah go. The guy was a lot of fun. I still think Lawless may survive.

Was soooo good to see the brat kid get his.

The whole thing was just righteous.

So I'm guessing we are going to Rome next season and meeting Crassus, Gracchus, Caeser, with Glabrus being the main bad guy.

Its a nice struture to hang the show off of - season 2 can't get here soon enough.

And the Charlie Brooker thing was funny - but this show is like Conan - very straighfaced, but awesome for it. After the first couple of episodes it really comes into its own. Best new TV series this season - something I did not think I would be saying after watching the pilot.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 17/4/2010 9:18:56 PM >

(in reply to The Seed)
Post #: 49
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand Prequel Series? - 17/4/2010 10:50:25 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The cable channel Starz is developing a six-episode "prequel” series for Spartacus: Blood and Sand, to deal with the fact that star Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) is undergoing treatmentm for Non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

The show has been a break-out hit for Starz, and a second season was to begin filming this month, although Whitfield's illness put an end to that. Vulture Blog speculates, probably correctly, that the prequel series is seen as one way to maintain the show's current momentum, as well as a way to take advantage of the writers and actors all "expensively standing by.”
Such a series is not definite, as the network is reportedly also looking at other options.

Perhaps how Doctori and Crixus became Gladiators?

This is MADNESS!!!!

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 50
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 18/4/2010 4:49:45 PM   
Timon

That was a great finale thought I'm gutted John Hannah and possibly Lucy Lawless won't be in the second season, but then I guess that hopes the next season up for political intrigue in the Roman senate with Glabius vying for power and possibly the introduction of Crassus.

Loved the final uprising and glad to see they didn't pull any punches in terms of brutality.

Also loved that Doctori is actually Oenamus, who according to legend was, along with Crixus and Spartacus, one of the main leaders of the slave rebellion.

Can't wait for Season 2, and glad they slaughtered all the pointless secondary characters. Glad that Asher survived though... I like him.

And those Germanic brothers really shouldn't have been high-fiving in the middle of battle!

KILL THEM ALL!

I'm glad it's doing so well State-side, but I really feel UK audiences would embrace this given a chance. God bless gratuitous violence, sex and swearing.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 51
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 19/4/2010 11:52:21 AM   
Timon

http://thetorchonline.com/2010/04/17/spartacus-blood-and-sand-episode-review-1-13-oh-em-effin-gee/

The Torch is a big fan of Spartacus and I love reading their little episode reviews once I watch them. I can't wait for the new season.

Also, did anyone ever see this. Was it crap?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 52
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 19/4/2010 11:55:48 AM   
Funkyrae

According to THIS Bravo should be showing it some time in the summer.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 53
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 19/4/2010 11:58:06 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

http://thetorchonline.com/2010/04/17/spartacus-blood-and-sand-episode-review-1-13-oh-em-effin-gee/

The Torch is a big fan of Spartacus and I love reading their little episode reviews once I watch them. I can't wait for the new season.

Also, did anyone ever see this. Was it crap?

It's not good...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 54
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 19/4/2010 12:04:25 PM   
sroey

Im up to Episode 5 on this but fell asleep watching the first half of it! I was actually very tired and has nothing to do with the show. 

It started a bit iffy but it is quickly starting to flesh out the characters a bit more. Although I have noticed that Spartacus is a bit of a big girls blouse - everyone seems to kick his ass, although his fighting in the pit was good. Felt sorry for the guy who had his head caved in with a giant hammer then his face ripped off.

Im looking forward to the fight with the Shadow of Death. Im warming to Crixus quite a bit but he is constantly bloody nekkid - lol.

One bit did make me laugh - when his blonde mate is told to start boning a slave in front of the guests and he is immediately told to do it again! I was thinking id have to stall em a bit...

Love the stylized violence and the story is starting to take over a bit more now...

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 55
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 19/4/2010 12:12:08 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

According to THIS Bravo should be showing it some time in the summer.

Woohoo!

I'm really not surprised it has drawn criticism.... but it's awesome.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 56
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 20/4/2010 2:23:04 PM   
sroey

Well I caught the end of episode 5 and the showdown with the big guy from 300...sorry I meant Theocles or whatever his name was - great fight and Im sure Crixus was pushing in some intenstines after he got a whupping...though he did deal a few nasty looking blows to the big guy.

This show is plain gruesome but its stylized so that its not revolting its way over the top and even my missus watched some of it.

Its shaping up to be a real good show and I like the scene where Lucy Lawless is seen by the priestess and is told to do teh deed within the hour - she calls crixus and he tries to say no and she obliges - while a tear rolls down her cheek. She wanted Crixus at her best and would rather that than bear a child! Great scene.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 57
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 22/4/2010 2:47:01 PM   
Blunderbuss

Spartacus: Blood & Sand starts on Bravo UK on the 25th May according to the latest SKY Magazine

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 58
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 22/4/2010 3:44:52 PM   
sroey

I watched Episode 6 last night: SPOILERS!!!

Batiatus (sp?) is turning into a right devious little sod. The way in which Barca was dealt with was indeed shocking and this indeed has again raised the show above its initial mindless sex and violence MO. It was brutal and emotional. The tension is building nicely and I hope Crixus gets better soon.

I especially felt bad at the end for poor old Spartacus. Ep 7 will be interesting indeed!

Great show!

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 59
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 27/4/2010 1:00:14 PM   
sroey

Not sure anyone else is reading this thread anymore but I watched the rest of the season over the weekend...WOW

The last couple of Episodes are amazing. Everything that has happened has lead t the final episode and the writers have crafted a fine yarn which all comes to a head in a brutal blood soaked encounter.

Sweet jesus this is an amazing final episode! I urge anyone to watch this series!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI