Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 31/7/2009 10:48:41 AM   
Blunderbuss

Sam Raimi and Roger Tapert have produced a new version of Spartacus for the TV.  It stars, amongst others, Lucy Lawless and John 'The Mummy' Hannah.  The look of the show seems to be very much along the same lines as Zack Snyder's '300' and uses the same effects technology to create some the settings.  It certainly isn't taking the tongue in cheek approach that Raimi and Tapert used in Hercules and Xena and if the trailer is anything to go by the show will not be holding back when it comes to the gore and sex quotient...

The first trailer is up at IGN here.  I recommend checking it out.  There's also a story on IGN here that hints that those who have always wanted to see Xena naked on screen might get their chance during the series...

No idea if this will ever make it to UK TV.  I guess it depends on how well it does in the US in January...

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"
Post #: 1
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 31/7/2009 11:07:31 AM   
Rgirvan44

Looks interesting but I'm not sure how the series can be sustained for five seasons unless they intend to tell the whole Spartacus story.

And Titus Pullo would kick all their asses.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 2
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 31/7/2009 12:12:44 PM   
HIM

Looks boss!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 31/7/2009 12:35:32 PM   
Captain Black

The Starz network branching out there. Must admit this one completely passed me by, but that looks potentially really good, possibly sitting somewhere in the middle of the aforementioned Rome and 300.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 4
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 31/7/2009 12:48:58 PM   
Zaphod121

I wasn't the biggest fan of 300 but this does look like tones of fun, haven't seen any of Starz other shows (Crash, Party Down etc) so I can't say whether there original programming has been good so far.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 5
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 1/8/2009 10:10:21 AM   
Timon

Looks very, very stylised but it seems Spartacus will be more of a willing gladiator rather than a slave.

And there seems to be no mention of him rising up against Rome with a slave army...

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 6
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 23/12/2009 5:49:03 PM   
Timon

Does anyone know where I can download a quicktime trailer?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 23/12/2009 6:43:01 PM   
Captain Black

No, but I do know there are *ahem* screeners of the first two episodes out there, and it's definitely going to get a second season.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 24/12/2009 10:24:08 AM   
Timon

Oh really?

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 9
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 17/1/2010 12:43:09 PM   
Monkeyshaver

I've watched the first couple episodes, if you're expecting a successor to Rome then you'll be disappointed. The acting's a bit wooden, & the characters are a bit thin but it does have loads & loads of violence, sex & swearing! Its basically a small screen version of 300 with CGI blood spurting everywhere against CGI backdrops mixed in with lovely tits on display!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 23/1/2010 12:03:42 AM   
Rgirvan44

Yeah, not great and not even close to touching Rome - even in the gladiator fights.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 11
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 23/1/2010 11:01:12 AM   
Zaphod121

The first episode is available for worldwide streaming on the Starz website, just in case anyone wanted to know.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 12
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 23/1/2010 7:08:23 PM   
Timon

I liked it! Sure it's no Rome and the dialogue is clunky and there a clusterfuck of dodgy accents all over the place, but I was entertained and the stylized violence, like 300, is great fun to watch.

Plus there's nothing like period tits and ass.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 13
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 23/1/2010 9:18:32 PM   
Rgirvan44

Lucy Lawless wins the Polly Walker Award for Services to Roman Hotness.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 24/1/2010 1:49:22 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Sure it's no Rome

You can't imagine how low my expectations are now

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 24/1/2010 11:43:05 AM   
Timon

Pfff. Your lack of respect for Rome has revealed the extent of your wrongness!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 16
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 24/1/2010 12:24:43 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm going to have a go at this, regardless.

And I probably shouldn't comment on Rome until I watch the 2nd series, which I never got round to viewing.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 24/1/2010 5:50:51 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Apparently a 2nd season has already been commissioned. I'm not sure if the 300 style of action won't start to become a little tiresome but will be interesting to see how this develops once Spartacus starts his slave revolt & campaign against The Roman Empire.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 18
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 24/1/2010 7:08:24 PM   
Timon

Yeah, the explosive blood splurts do get old quickly, but there was noticeably less in the second episode. Plus my girlfriend was very surprised to see so much man-junk on TV.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 19
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 25/1/2010 9:16:18 AM   
jediwarrior

This is coming to UK TV in the summer

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 26/1/2010 12:37:36 PM   
Timon

Tucked away on Bravo at 1am, no doubt. I can't see any terrestrial channels picking it up.

Even Rome was cut by the BBC.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 21
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 26/1/2010 12:48:00 PM   
Hex

Im looking forward to this. Seen it mentioned in a few places (mainly about how sexually explicit its going to be) but I cant wait.

I loved Rome so anything even in the same ball park is good to me. Plus the cast looks ok. I like John Hannah and I think Lucy Lawless is very well cast.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 26/1/2010 1:06:04 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

Any news on the channel?

Post #: 23
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 26/1/2010 2:35:55 PM   
Spartacus

Watched the first episode and thought it was alright, not a patch on Rome. It did seem to borrow heavily from 300 and Sin City in the way it was shot, but I'm willing to give it a go.

The Emperor... wants to conquer outer space. Yoda... wants to explore inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the light and dark side of the force.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 24
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 26/1/2010 3:04:12 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

Any news on the channel?

No not yet, just said in the paper coming in the summer.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 25
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 26/1/2010 10:05:42 PM   
kumar

I would love to give this bad boy a shot, looks immense. I never watched Rome though.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 26
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 9/2/2010 9:05:21 AM   
Timon

I'm enjoying this show. Sure it's trying very hard to be Rome on the cheap, but I'm find it damn entertaining and I like how they're taking their time developing Spartacus instead of just getting straight to the Slave Rebellion.

Loved the 'legends' flashbacks in the new episodes such as Barca (could they really not have come up with a more original name for a Carthagenian?!) slaying his chief/father, Crixus fighting the 'twins' who were 'born of a whore raped by a jackal' and the 10ft shadow of death!

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 27
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 15/2/2010 12:53:38 PM   
Timon

I'm not the only one still watching this am I?

Ep. 4 was suitably brutal as Spartacus is set to The Pits - a 'no holds' barred fighting contest where anything goes and losers have their faces ripped off!

My girlfriend was watching it through her hands! Mainly as the weapons used made it look like Fight Club via Hostel.

Still, I really enjoyed it and am enjoying the relationship between Biatutus and his wife. Lucy Lawless is clearly relishing her role and puts a lot more care and attention into the character to differentiate her from Rome's Attia. She's not a power hungry bitch but someone who clearly cares for husband and their future... in between getting a good dicking from Crixus.

Like the ending, and the boy-buggering scene puts it up there with Rome for clearly not giving a crap about American networks and their standards.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 22/2/2010 12:28:04 PM   
Timon

Yeah, I'm the only one still watching this... aren't I?

Anyway, I enjoyed Ep. 5....there seemed to be a gratutitous amount of Greco-homo wrestling... and general sitting this episode, but the final fight was suitably epic.

I'm sure Crixus will be fine though.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi - 22/2/2010 2:04:42 PM   
Rgirvan44

I'm still watching for reasons I don't know.

It is getting a bit better now that we are getting to know everyone. Have to say, the guy playing Crixus seems to be getting the major plotlines, and appears to be a stronger actor than the guy playing Sparacus.

It is still an ok show. The Pits was by far the best episode.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Spartacus:Blood & Sand - From Sam Raimi Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI