Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Third Window Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Third Window Films Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Third Window Films - 12/4/2011 1:08:41 PM   
elab49

at the moment Third Window films are on sale at around 3-5 at Fopp. This may also mean HMV, but I don't know (HMV shared the Artificial Eye sale).

Also, the Yume Oshima/Suzuki and lots and lots of others are also at knocked down prices. I may have just spent my National winnings in there

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Morpeth)
Post #: 91
RE: Third Window Films - 11/6/2011 3:42:09 PM   
Morpeth

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

at the moment Third Window films are on sale at around 3-5 at Fopp. This may also mean HMV, but I don't know (HMV shared the Artificial Eye sale).

Also, the Yume Oshima/Suzuki and lots and lots of others are also at knocked down prices. I may have just spent my National winnings in there

Not all the Third window films are 3 - 5, some are 6 - 7

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 92
RE: Third Window Films - 11/6/2011 3:52:39 PM   
elab49

You did realise this was a post referencing a sale that took place a couple of months ago?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Morpeth)
Post #: 93
RE: Third Window Films - 11/6/2011 5:29:01 PM   
Morpeth

I know but most are still 4 - 7

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 94
RE: Third Window Films - 11/6/2011 6:40:22 PM   
elab49

Possibly now.

2 months ago in my local Fopp - not. Unless there is some reason you would know better?

quote:

(in reply to Morpeth)
Post #: 95
RE: Third Window Films - 11/8/2011 10:13:35 PM   
Ultimo Lee

Third Window lost the majority of it's stock during the riots

http://jfilmpowwow.blogspot.com/2011/08/third-window-films-and-terracotta.html

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 96
RE: Third Window Films - 12/8/2011 10:19:56 AM   
elab49

Well worth buying an extra couple of DVDs if it'll help keep Third Window in business - it's brought so many excellent films to my attention. 

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 97
RE: Third Window Films - 16/8/2011 10:11:16 PM   
Ultimo Lee

With Third Window being a small company hopefully this doesn't kill them off. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 98
RE: Third Window Films - 17/8/2011 10:21:32 AM   
elab49

So I've gotten a remarkably reasonable Blu Ray of Memories of Matsuko (which is technically my first Blu Ray double dip I think, but in a good cause), Kakera and Wild Card.

My top 5 (with cheats) Third Window recommendations

Nakashima triple bill of Confessions/Kamikaze Girls/Memories of Matsuko
Friend
Fish Story
Funuke Show Some Love
and the Lee Chang-Dong triple bill of Green Fish/Peppermint Candy/Oasis

Also Villain is in cinemas this week

http://thirdwindowfilms.com/films/villain

And you can see some of the catalogue on Mubi

http://mubi.com/distributors/167

< Message edited by elab49 -- 17/8/2011 10:23:42 AM >

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 99
RE: Third Window Films - 19/8/2011 12:09:12 PM   
Jasiri

Off topic but on the subject of the fire at Sony.Second Run lost their entire stock according to the latest newsletter.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 100
RE: Third Window Films - 20/8/2011 10:56:44 AM   
elab49

I've just seen a comment on the release of Strigoi noting that Eureka seem to have lost their stock as well.

Cheap storage must be a great boon to smaller companies - but I think they may have forgotten the too many eggs in one basket thing.

quote:

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 101
RE: Third Window Films - 22/8/2011 9:22:57 PM   
SMiFF

Third Windows are amongst the companies involved in a free screening of Asian film on Saturday 3 September in London. All the companies involved were affected by the Sony DADC fire: http://japanunderground.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/asian-film-all-dayer/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 102
RE: Third Window Films - 17/7/2012 5:30:45 PM   
Ultimo Lee

A few days ago on Facebook Adam Torel the big cheese of TWF asked

What are some Japanese films (old & new) that people here would like to see on DVD in the UK?

Having been following the conversation (and adding a ridiculously long list ) here's a few things Adam let slip

Cafe Isobe: Hope to release next year (i'm a big fan so looking forward to that one)

The Crazy Family: "talking to Sogo Ishii now about trying to restore it like with Tetsuo. Trying to find out quality of original materials and if it's possible. Hopefully it can happen!"

Akihiko Shiota: "In negotiations to take his latest film to the UK"

Sogo Ishii: Someone asked after Electric Dragon 80.000v, Burst City, Hiruko The Goblin, Adam's response was "we may have something coming up later this year (hopefully) that is even better than what you've asked for!" Sogo or Tsukamoto boxset or more releases?

Will not be buying Bakugyaku Familia

Symbol & Golden Slumber: "Despite the constant demand for both I personally wasn't a big fan of either so unfortunately will give them a miss". (I've emailed him in the past about Golden Slumbers)

Tetsuya Nakashima: won't be bringing Paco And Magical Picture Book to the uk but "We actually tried to acquire the rights to his first 2 films he did in the late 90s, but it's impossible at this moment in time"

More people wanting Golden Slumber

Won't be releasing TV Series/Seasons

Tetsuya Nakashima part 2: on Golden Slumbers: "with all this pressure i think I'll need to rewatch the film Maybe i'll like it a 2nd time. No way on Boy & his Samurai though, but working on another film of his for 2013 release so watch this space." Also says he'll rewatch Symbol

Air Doll (Koreeda): "had heard that Air Doll was picked up, though I think it had some problems with rights issues. I'm sure either Soda, Art Eye or Axiom"

Not interested in releasing any Miike films and no plans to bring out Survive Style 5, Funky Forest or Detroit Metal City

Today he said "Unfortunately no chance of GOLDEN SLUMBER release due to music rights not being cleared internationally!"

Golden Slumber is awesome, shame.

< Message edited by Ultimo Lee -- 17/7/2012 5:31:04 PM >

(in reply to SMiFF)
Post #: 103
RE: Third Window Films - 17/7/2012 7:24:53 PM   
elab49

The reply on TV series was a bit different to me - I asked about Shokuzai, the Kurosawa series (which is excellent) and they said the rights weren't up yet but they were interested. Perhaps they responded to the wrong tweet.

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 104
RE: Third Window Films - 19/7/2012 7:04:29 PM   
Ultimo Lee

He seemed pretty set on no series in the FB thread.

Off Third Windows Facebook Tetsuo mock packshots

quote:

Thinking about having a reversible sleeve which will have both the 1st and 2nd ones included. Thinking the 3rd one makes people realise that both films are included

Won't be getting them but not bad.

< Message edited by Ultimo Lee -- 19/7/2012 7:06:57 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 105
RE: Third Window Films - 19/7/2012 7:30:49 PM   
elab49

I wonder if it's possible that Shokuzai will be edited into a longish film then?

Also, it's basically a short mini-series so maybe that's a factor, as opposed to releasing the mass of j-drama. Although it'd be interesting if some imprint over here thought about picking up some of the best of K-drama, etc. Not the idol dominated tweenie tosh, but some of the decent stuff.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 19/7/2012 7:57:05 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 106
RE: Third Window Films - 4/9/2012 2:25:08 PM   
MASH4077

The Third Window shop has some of their DVDs and Blu-Rays on sale (generally 5 and 10).

http://shop.thirdwindowfilms.com/

You've got until the end of September, the shop will be closed throughout October (have no idea why, this is what it says on their Facebook page!)

Don't go that way. NEVER go that way.

West End Map: http://goo.gl/maps/NQ0A8

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 107
RE: Third Window Films - 4/9/2012 2:34:06 PM   
elab49

It's also pretty much next day delivery - very good service. 

quote:

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 108
RE: Third Window Films - 22/9/2012 3:04:11 PM   
Ultimo Lee

They're bringing out Yoshihiro Nakamura's The Foreign Duck, The Native Duck and God on January 11th, 2013

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151270502197425

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 109
RE: Third Window Films - 22/9/2012 3:55:10 PM   
elab49

I'm looking forward more to Isn't Anyone Alive next month than Tetsuo. Don't think Woodsman and the Rain has a date for DVD yet though? 

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 110
RE: Third Window Films - 24/9/2012 5:43:50 PM   
Ultimo Lee

quote:

I'm looking forward more to Isn't Anyone Alive next month than Tetsuo. Don't think Woodsman and the Rain has a date for DVD yet though?

Doesn't seem to have a date, Foreign Duck... seems to have come out of nowhere. Will be picking it up though.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 111
RE: Third Window Films - 24/9/2012 6:04:14 PM   
elab49

Maybe they come across the rights when looking at Golden Slumber again? That seemed a popular choice on the Twitter/FB chat. 

quote:

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 112
RE: Third Window Films - 21/2/2013 7:11:58 PM   
logboy

quote:

Maybe they come across the rights when looking at Golden Slumber again? That seemed a popular choice on the Twitter/FB chat.

i'd be interested to know if its a call from those that have seen the film or those that have seen others by the director, and they feel the need to head towards more of the same (similar?) than something decent, no matter where it comes from? i've a copy of golden slumbers but never watched it... maybe i should?

whilst i'm here though, i'd add that although i like third window and adam's work / taste, i'm finding it harder to lay down the money on them as they've gone from one of the most reasonably uk labels to one of hte most expensive - from those that i follow, or within the field / styles i tend to look more into. doesn't help that there's been a sudden apparent growth in american labels releasing small genre films on blu-ray (not much asian stuff though, especially not japanese), something i thought i'd never see, and they're often cheaper (all costs included) than UK releases, if you look around for the deals or wait a while.

i know the third window shop isn't coming back cos units sold via amazon make for better figures when selling films to film4, but at least they were sales - i've not got tsukamoto's kotoko or the recent disc of woodsman and the rain as a result of finding it hard to get a decent or comparable price.

< Message edited by logboy -- 21/2/2013 7:14:24 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 113
RE: Third Window Films - 21/2/2013 8:44:01 PM   
elab49

Isn't Anyone Alive is already down to around the 8-9 mark so I'd assume the releases from late last year will get there eventually. I'm happy to pay extra to buy on release though to hope that the releases keep on coming because, as you say, these films are often very difficult to find any other way. I'm really looking forward to the Kurosawa double bill when it arrives - so, eg, I've pre-ordered Vulgaria.

I got the impression most had manage to catch Golden Slumbers. I really liked it - a toss-up with Fish Story for my favourite.

quote:

(in reply to logboy)
Post #: 114
RE: Third Window Films - 23/5/2013 8:05:19 PM   
thirdwindowfilms

The Third Window Films store, ordering direct from TWF, is now back and running, and will stay open until around the end of summer.

All DVDs (except limited editions or box sets) are 5
All Blu-rays (except limited editions or box sets) are 10

Free Shipping within the UK, flat rate shipping elsewhere of 4 within Europe and 5 ROW.

http://shop.thirdwindowfilms.com/

Enjoy!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 115
RE: Third Window Films - 23/5/2013 11:28:16 PM   
Ultimo Lee

I only bought 3 last week, why didn't i wait!!!

(in reply to thirdwindowfilms)
Post #: 116
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Third Window Films Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI