Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Nick Cave Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: The Nick Cave Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 9/8/2010 10:37:05 PM   
Indio

I saw that on Pitchfork earlier today, and I have to say that video is all types of awesome

Looking at the charts these days, I know theres next to no chance of Grinderman getting anywhere the top 40 but I'm almost nostalgic for CD-UK and Top Of The Tops just if it meant I could laugh at the thought of them having to try and cobble something together out of that to show on prime timeTV

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 91
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 9/8/2010 11:13:36 PM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

The video for Heathen Child is up on NME's website now.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid84902428001?bclid=9783754001&bctid=479890348001

Bit of a NSFW warning on the video there I know it should go without saying, but still

Fantastic stuff. I'm hoping for an Aussie tour after they are done in Europe.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 92
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 23/8/2010 10:46:48 PM   
tommyjarvis

I hadn't listened to much of Nick before but I "acquired" their best-of the other day and it's pretty good. I already knew Red Right Hand and Where The Wild Roses Grow, but Into My Arms, The Mercy Seat, Tupelo and Henry Lee are good songs as well.

Tupelo sounds very like a Sons And Daughters song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJazSEfVT4

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 93
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 28/8/2010 5:13:24 PM   
Finn

Love NC&TBS, but Grinderman do nothing for me. Best NC songs... Jesus of the Moon, Where the Wild Roses Grow, Here She Comes My Beautiful World, Stagger Lee.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 94
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 30/8/2010 4:09:27 AM   
Ziggy Played Guitar

I absolutely adore his music. Tender Prey is one of my favourite albums of all time. The man just puts out classic after classic.

"I've been listening to my gut since I was 14 years old, and frankly speaking, I've come to the conclusion that my guts have sh*t for brains."

(in reply to Finn)
Post #: 95
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 8/9/2010 2:19:26 PM   
Olaf

Grinderman 2 is streaming, loike, RIGHT NOW (clicky) alas I am on a dialup connection atm, so I can't hear it until next week. :/ Reviews have pretty strong so far though.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Ziggy Played Guitar)
Post #: 96
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 8/9/2010 2:22:27 PM   
FritzlFan

It's better than Grinderman as a whole, I'd say.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 8/9/2010 2:27:08 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 97
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 11/9/2010 1:31:40 PM   
FritzlFan

Got the deluxe edition of Grinderman 2 today. The booklet's great. I thought it would be exactly the same as the deluxe booklet from Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!, but it's significantly better, with tons of illustrations etc. The poster's pretty good, too.

quote:

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 98
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 11/9/2010 10:11:40 PM   
Olaf

I was tempted by the deluxe edition at the last minute, but my inherent cheapness made me go for the standard version in the end. The booklet is great though (cartoon Nick's tache FTW)

oh and the album is amazing. Only listened to it through twice so still forming a solid opinion on it, but it's currently freaking me out in a very good way. When My Baby Comes is a standout (like Night of the Lotus Eaters' fucked up psychedelic cousin).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 99
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 12/9/2010 4:17:04 AM   
moontheloon

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

Got the deluxe edition of Grinderman 2 today. The booklet's great. I thought it would be exactly the same as the deluxe booklet from Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!, but it's significantly better, with tons of illustrations etc. The poster's pretty good, too.

Got the LP, which comes with a larger version of the poster, which makes me weirdly happy, there's just something about it, worth the extra cash.

I bought this two days ago but I've still not had a chance to listen to it, Yesterday the second I got home I had a call asking me to work and today I went to look through some records in a pub (great day) and then when I got home I had a call asking me to come into work early, and I don't think my mam would be too happy with me listening to it now I'm home as loud as I would like to for the Grinderman album, still really excited about it, but with a busy day tomorrow and an early train journey on monday I might not be able to listen to it for a bit.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 100
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 12/9/2010 2:18:40 PM   
Olaf

"Mum-bothering" is actually a fairly effective way of summing up this album

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 101
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 16/3/2011 1:15:20 PM   
Olaf

(BUMP)

various Cave-related bits:
- Nick reading from Lolita at the World Book Night launch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET-4IVVIqqM from 15:45 or so, just after Boris Johnson and just before Suggs (...)
- new Grinderman single, b-sides are remix from former Bad Seed Barry Adamson (HERE) and Faris from the Horrors' new project Cat's Eyes covering When My Baby Comes, quite brilliantly (HERE). artwork is really rather incredible/terrifying:

- Evil is also getting a 12" release for Record Store Day (on red glitter vinyl if you're into that sort of thing). B-sides include remixes from Jim Sclavunos/Peter Mavrogeorgis (with vocals from Matt Berninger from The National, interestingly) and Factory Floor, plus an early demo of the song. So make sure to go and support your local indie shop/buy up all their RSD exclusives and sell them on ebay at a handsome profit, delete as applicable.
- Cave was recently announced as music consultant for Guillermo del Toro's stop-motion Pinocchio: http://www.nme.com/movies/news/guillermo-del-toro-producing-new-pinocchio/205889 I'm assuming/hoping this means a new score as well.
- more Bad Seeds reissues: going out of the "old 80s recordings being spruced up" phase and into the "kind of pointless, really" phase, four of the band's arguably most popular albums (Let Love In, Murder Ballads, The Boatman's Call, No More Shall We Part) make the jump to expensive two-disc format May 16th.
- Nick's collaboration with UNKLE can be heard here: http://www.clashmusic.com/news/listen-unkle-meet-nick-cave

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 102
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 27/11/2012 10:53:11 AM   
Olaf

NEW ALBUM - Push The Sky Away http://www.nickcave.com/

I don't really know what to expect to be honest. Is TBS Nick's only outlet for dirty grungy psych-rock now that Grinderman are finished, or has he worked that out of his system and is going back to the balladeering? Or somewhere in between? First single's 'We No Who U R' anyway, and should be with us next week (based on the information on the above page). EXCITED

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 103
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/11/2012 4:43:53 AM   
Olaf

Screw all you guys, I'll just talk to myself about how excited I am about this album.

"hey olaf, read this interesting press release that talks a bit about the lyrical themes of the album- http://www.nickcave.com/news/new-album-nick-cave-the-bad-seeds-push-the-sky-away-out-18-feb/ "
"sounds really interesting. considering it's the first Bad Seeds album to not involve Mick Harvey, I was wondering if perhaps the band were going to take a different direction with this album. it's sounding like a real break with the band's previous work, and it's refreshing that a band onto their fifteenth studio album is capable of that."
"very cogently observed point there. the track titles seem to range from totally out of character ('We No Who U R') to the quintessentially Cave-esque ('Higgs Boson Blues'), so I feel like we're in for a number of surprises throughout."
"I agree - intriguingly, Nick describes Warren Ellis's loops as the 'tiny, trembling heartbeat' of the record. it's safe to say that this album stands a chance of being a real one-off, stylistically speaking, in the Bad Seeds discography; somewhat a surprise, given that one can trace a recognisable aesthetic progression from 'From Her To Eternity' all the way up to 'Dig Lazarus Dig', so to speak."
"I don't expect the band to leave aside the blues in favour of an electronic record, if I'm being honest. but the recurring motif of Cave's career has been an attempt to relocate the blues in various musical contexts, all the way from The Birthday Party's goth/post-punk twist on the genre to 'Grinderman 2''s summoning of krautrock and stoner metal. Perhaps 'Push The Sky Away' is an extension of that album's experimentation on the production end (it was probably the first time a Cave album could be called 'psychedelic')? But working within the context of the Bad Seeds allowing for a broader palette of musical influences beyond the fat riffs and droning guitar squalls of that record?"
"I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. 'Grinderman 2' is probably the most sonically adventurous album of Nick's career (as well as 'Dig Lazarus Dig', to an extent), so I wouldn't be surprised if a continuation of that desire to stretch the definitions of a 'Nick Cave album' pops up. Perhaps the promotion of Warren Ellis to creative second-in-commend of recent years (particularly following the exit of Harvey) has contributed, considering his own Dirty Three aren't afraid to employ unusual forms in their own work with a healthy dash of dissonance?"
"yeah maybe. have you heard anything from the album yet?"
"no, you?"
"nope."

< Message edited by Olaf -- 29/11/2012 4:49:45 AM >

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 104
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 1/12/2012 12:38:33 AM   
Deviation

I was going to post something but your insanity has scared me away.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 105
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 1/12/2012 1:15:31 AM   
Olaf

Too little too late, my friend.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 106
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 1/12/2012 9:49:03 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Nick Cave is the Coolest and most talented guy working in Music today.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 107
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 3/12/2012 10:57:49 AM   
Olaf

We No Who U R: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBl86cIV3g

my excitement for this album goes up another notch or two.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 108
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 3/12/2012 3:38:10 PM   
FritzlFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

We No Who U R: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBl86cIV3g

my excitement for this album goes up another notch or two.

It is good. Here's hoping for a nice uk tour.

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 109
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 3/12/2012 6:26:23 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The album comes out on my birthday

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 110
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 8/2/2013 1:08:40 PM   
Olaf

album stream: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2013/feb/08/nick-cave-push-sky-away-stream?intcmp=ILCMUSIMG9382

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 111
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 8/2/2013 2:58:04 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

album stream: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2013/feb/08/nick-cave-push-sky-away-stream?intcmp=ILCMUSIMG9382

I was going to do some work this afternoon but... Oh well.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 112
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 22/2/2013 7:56:44 PM   
talpacino

Live show from LA last night - http://youtu.be/fymChgeO00g

Currahee!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 113
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 6/6/2013 2:21:41 PM   
horribleives

Saw them in Barcelona the other week - fucking magical. Jubilee Street live is a filthy joy to behold and as for the closing Push The Sky Away...absolutely spine tingling. Oh and Nick in the crowd during Stagger Lee was one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed (and I saw Northern Uproar once...).

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 114
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 6/6/2013 2:57:08 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Saw them in Barcelona the other week - fucking magical. Jubilee Street live is a filthy joy to behold and as for the closing Push The Sky Away...absolutely spine tingling. Oh and Nick in the crowd during Stagger Lee was one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed (and I saw Northern Uproar once...).

Awesome. You at Primavera? I've a few friends who went but didn't see them. Do they pretty much just play the new album? I'll be seeing them in Belgium at the start of July, can't wait.

Currahee!

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 115
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 7/6/2013 2:42:10 PM   
horribleives

Aye, at Primavera. They did about four off the new album plus a load of classics. There's some great footage of Stagger Lee on YouTube. 'In come the devil/He got a fuckin' iphone in his hand'

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 116
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: The Nick Cave Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI