Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Nick Cave Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: The Nick Cave Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 1:49:32 AM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

"I called her my nubian princess, I gave her some sweet-back bad-ass jive
I spent the next seven years between her legs pining for my wife"

Wow, first time I've seen or heard those lyrics but they are brilliant

the whole career is full of brilliant lyrics :)

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 31
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 1:52:26 AM   
paul_ie86

Are you kidding? Two pages in one night and poor old Leonard Cohen is still stick on one.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 32
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 2:42:56 AM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

I've got that album on at the moment actually - that's from Lovely Creature.

Next one:
It was back in '32, when times were hard
He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards

Stagger Lee!

he wore rat drawn shoes and an old Stetson hat

Next:
Come on Cancer let's walk outside
breathe the autumn air

oh and my "Australian aunt" informs me that Ghosts of the Civil Dead is 70% of the way here.

it's here!
i'll watch it 2moro/2day and let you know what it's like. then i'll have to hope the extras arrive

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 33
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 8:41:57 AM   
tommyjarvis

I haven't listened to much of Nick Cave at all, but I love Red Right Hand. Is Let Love In a decent place to start, or am I better off with Boatman's Call or Murder Ballads?

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 34
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 9:55:41 AM   
Olaf

Let Love In's a good album to start with, definitely. There's a huge difference between pre-Boatman's Call Cave and post-Boatman's Call Cave though, but if you prefer more relaxed stuff then TBC is a brilliant album.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 35
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 2:08:56 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

I haven't listened to much of Nick Cave at all, but I love Red Right Hand. Is Let Love In a decent place to start, or am I better off with Boatman's Call or Murder Ballads?

At the risk of sounding really ignorant, is that the song featured in the film 'Scream'?  I love that one, had no idea who it was by!

I've heard of Nick Cave but don't really know any of his stuff.  I get the impression he's a very popular guy, I might have to give some of his stuff a go.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 36
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 6:29:23 PM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

quote:

At the risk of sounding really ignorant, is that the song featured in the film 'Scream'? I love that one, had no idea who it was by!

It is, yeah. That's where I know it from. Arctic Monkeys did a live cover of it when I saw them in Melbourne as well.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 37
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 7:36:29 PM   
Olaf

Just found that Arctics cover on Youtube, awesome stuff. Rather jealous of you now Tom Ordered my copy of Bunny Monro (hardback) today - can't wait to read it, the first chapter is brilliant.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 38
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 7:39:49 PM   
tommyjarvis

I'm having a listen to Let Love In just now. I'd forgotten that he did Loverman as well, which Metallica covered on Garage Inc.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 39
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 7:51:21 PM   
Olaf

Any good? I don't think I have Garage Inc, I'm only familiar with their cover of Whiskey in the Jar from it.

Also, what about Breathless, covered by... Russell Crowe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T-GMkcJS7s

Post #: 40
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 11:44:03 PM   
richCie

well i just watched Ghosts of the Civil Dead.

apparently its based on truth, i think there's a debate over to what extent it is but one can only hope it isnt. it's brutal. it's gruelling, it's pretty damn horrifying. i'd recommend it but be warned...

oh and Nick Cave is hardly in it.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 41
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 11:50:37 PM   
Olaf

I'm going to watch it now, cheers for the recommendation/warning . What's the soundtrack like?

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 42
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 11:52:43 PM   
JessFranco

quote:

oh and Nick Cave is hardly in it.

From what i remember, his cameo is terrific though. It's a brutal film but superb in many respects - possibly my favourite prison film ever.

quote:

Any good? I don't think I have Garage Inc, I'm only familiar with their cover of Whiskey in the Jar from it.

Garage Days is quite a decent album but the Cave cover is one of the weaker points.

As a side note, Cave's son Jethro is making a big name for himself as a model.

< Message edited by JessFranco -- 29/7/2009 11:53:48 PM >

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 43
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 29/7/2009 11:56:52 PM   
richCie

quote:

I'm going to watch it now, cheers for the recommendation/warning . What's the soundtrack like?

sparse? i'm pretty sure the main thing he's done is the very haunting and very fitting credits piece.

Jess is right it is a very very good film, it's just a difficult watch :)

and Cave is pretty good, makes quite an impression.

reviews i've read say the extras are absolutely brilliant on the special edition so i'm still going to try and track it down as those my "aunt" has aren't complete.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 44
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 30/7/2009 12:07:24 AM   
Olaf

Watching it now, very moody opening. You're right about the soundtrack, I'd imagine Blixa had a strong influence on the music from the sounds of it.

EDIT also slightly taken back by the uncanny resemblence between Jethro and his dad. That's rather scary.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 30/7/2009 12:10:13 AM >

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 45
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 30/7/2009 12:21:18 AM   
richCie

quote:

Watching it now, very moody opening. You're right about the soundtrack, I'd imagine Blixa had a strong influence on the music from the sounds of it.

EDIT also slightly taken back by the uncanny resemblence between Jethro and his dad. That's rather scary.

there's a rather great website for it i've only just discovered (doesnt come up very high on google search weirdly...) which comes with the encouraging news that as of October 2008 there are plans to produce a definitive edition of the film with much focus placed on the relevance of the film to real events.

and apparently they have high quality partners in good territories who support the approach but that it will take a long time to produce. fingers crossed!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 46
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 30/7/2009 1:25:55 PM   
daemonic

quote:

quote:

At the risk of sounding really ignorant, is that the song featured in the film 'Scream'?  I love that one, had no idea who it was by!

I've heard of Nick Cave but don't really know any of his stuff.  I get the impression he's a very popular guy, I might have to give some of his stuff a go.

It is indeed

It was also used in the X-Files episode Dwayne Barry where Dwayne is driving up the mountain with Scully in the boot of the car.

Was the first time a pience of music was used in the X-Files that wasn't composed by Mark Snow :) 

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 47
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 30/7/2009 3:24:47 PM   
JessFranco

There's a rather swish instrumental version played near the end of the Korean thriller Tell Me Something too.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to daemonic)
Post #: 48
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 30/7/2009 8:59:55 PM   
demoncleaner

It was two Empire alumni (I see no harm in naming them) Yvash and the Cat from Cheshire (with a sprinkling of coaching from Jess as well as I remember) that got me into Cave and the Bad Seeds.  Something that spiralled into a rash obsession that ultimately culminated in getting "Bad Seed" tattooed on by arm.  A totally twattish thing to do but there you go.  I think the thing that truly floored me about them was their validation of baroque music.  I grew up as a metal-head but always knew that it was inherently dumb, then someone tells you that there's this band with a prodigious back catalogue who are intelligent and soulful and yet full of blood and thunder; piss and vinegar.  It was like post-grad gothic and I found it all very heady, very inspiring.  I saw them a couple of weeks ago and since then I've been rediscovering albums that I probably didn't give enough time to amid the glutton purchase of their product - albums like Tender Prey which is amazing me at the moment and keeping that geekish fire stoked. 

It's a pity Mick Harvey has left now but he has a competent replacement in James Johnston whose brother Ian wrote the definitive Bad Seeds biography, so at least there's a dynastic tradition there still being upheld in the band.  Not really a band but a bonafide institution (I know that's often said spuriously about bands but I think this one deserves it).  Speaking of the Bad Seed biography, it's one of my truly nerdish desires to see that made into a movie.  I know John Hillcoat admires it, and seeing that pic of Jethro I'm starting to put two and two together and probably coming up with a rather flaccid wet dream but...its a cool book, that's all I'm saying.

It's promising to hear that Ghosts maybe getting a re-issue.  I have that soundtrack but never ever thought I'd actually get to see it.  I had the impression it might even have been lost.  It seems to be a film that has another unofficial soundtrack in The First Born is Dead - chiefly with Knockin On Joe and informed by harrowing prison stories that Cave had heard along the line.   I don't know if it's mere coincidence but the theme of prison seems to be behind the best, most impenetrable Bad Seed miasmas.  I really want to see this film now.

A lot of you may have and cherish this:

It's my absolute all time favourite film/music documentary. 

The "extra" on God Is In the House (the making of No More Shall We Part at Abbey Road) is worth the price alone and I think they should have put the live gig at the back.  There's a small part in it where Thomas Wydler has to bail out Schlavunos with some awry percussion and gets patronised by the American for his trouble.  Its that moment that makes Wydler my favourite Bad Seed.  I love the fact that Mick Harvey learnt German just to play with him.

I could go on and on...and probably will sometime next week. 

Just...thanks to Olaf for starting this thread and everyone else for "keepin' er lit" as we say in these parts. 

Come to think of it!  Maybe you all could get tattoos as well...and we could have sleepovers and grow our hair and....so on and so forth.           

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 49
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 30/7/2009 9:19:37 PM   
Olaf

You have a PM demoncleaner.
That movie's amazing, I love it. Good shout on God Is In The House too, I watch as much, if not more than the main feature. What's the name of the Bad Seeds biography? I might have to take a look for it (I've spent too much on Nick-related books this week, but what the hell).

EDIT nearly forgot, great post by the way!

< Message edited by Olaf -- 30/7/2009 9:45:38 PM >

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 50
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 30/7/2009 10:19:35 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

That movie's amazing, I love it. Good shout on God Is In The House too, I watch as much, if not more than the main feature. What's the name of the Bad Seeds biography? I might have to take a look for it (I've spent too much on Nick-related books this week, but what the hell).

Eggs-cellent!  That's class, thank you.

The book is just called Bad Seed. 

It's at once a straight forward Nick Cave biography and a brilliant narrative of the band that evolved into and became the Bad Seeds.  From the Boys Next Door, through to the Birthday Party and onward.  There's an excessive amount of drinking, drug taking and fist-fighting in it.  Not really heavy on the sex and rocknroll...but I like that  There's a hilarious anecdote about a session drummer and a pair of garden shears that I won't spoil for you.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 51
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 31/7/2009 1:24:29 AM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is, yeah. That's where I know it from. Arctic Monkeys did a live cover of it when I saw them in Melbourne as well.

And I think in Hellboy too.

Nick Cave, he's awesome. Fantastic scriptwriter anmd songwriter. Btw, is there a possibility he posts here?

demoncleaner, never visited Miles's thread?

Wouldn't it be irnoic if the Nick Cave thread was spammed by mentioning of Miles?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 52
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 31/7/2009 5:26:30 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

demoncleaner, never visited Miles's thread?

Wouldn't it be irnoic if the Nick Cave thread was spammed by mentioning of Miles?

Umm...I must have missed Miles' thread.  Sorry Miles. Or maybe it was back in the day before I was proselytised.  I had a Nick Cave thread on another board, and then there's the occasional post in the official forum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 53
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 31/7/2009 6:37:09 PM   
richCie

quote:

i was just about to PM him...

and yeh great post demoncleaner, i'll have to have a look at the documentary/biography. i think if any director was going to do a bad seeds/nick cave biopic it;d be John Hillcoat for sure.

oh by the way Bunny Munro chapter 2 is now online on the wesbite, still no news on tour dates though :(

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 54
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 19/8/2009 4:07:05 PM   
Olaf

First few tour dates!!:

6pm, 8th September: Book Signing, Waterstones, 203-205 Piccadilly, London, W1J 9HD. Tel: 020 78512400
7.45-8.45pm, 9th September: Nick Cave In Conversation with David Peace, Purcell Rooms, South Bank, Belvedere Road, London SE1 8XX. Tel: 0871 663 2500 Tickets: 12
Time TBC, 14th September: "Upstairs at the Square" at Barnes and Noble, NYC. Reading, Q&A and in conversation with Katherine Lanpher.
1pm, 28th September: Book Signing at HMV, 150 Oxford St, London, W1D 1DJ. Tel: 020 76313423
7pm, 28th September: Book Signing at Waterstones, 91 Deansgate, Manchester, M3 2BW. Tel: 0161 837 3000
1pm, 29th September: Book Signing at Borders, 98 Buchanan St, Glasgow G1 3HA. Tel: 0141 222 7700
6.30-7.30pm, 30th September: Nick Cave In Conversation with Will Self, City Books at The Old Market Theatre, Upper Market Street, Hove, BN3 1AS. Tel: 01273 736222 Tickets: 6

More to be announced. Praying for a Dublin/Galway date to be announced.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 55
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 19/8/2009 4:19:12 PM   
demoncleaner

I would go to Dublin for a book signing.  Here's hoping.  In conversation with David Peace sounds really cool.

I missed a solo gig with Conway Savage last Friday...raging.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 56
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 20/8/2009 1:11:38 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Mrs K and I had "Into my arms" as our first song when we got hitched. Magical moment..

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 57
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 20/8/2009 9:44:47 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Mrs K and I had "Into my arms" as our first song when we got hitched. Magical moment..

Awesome stuff. But why no Stagger Lee...?
Also, may be of interest to anyone looking for the deluxe edition of Bunny Munro: http://www.thedeathofbunnymunro.com/buy2.php

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 58
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 22/8/2009 10:00:51 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

Nick Cave is a big piece of shit!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 59
RE: The Nick Cave Thread - 22/8/2009 10:40:26 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timmy_Brisby_05

Nick Cave is a big piece of shit!

Haha, this is cos I said I hated Scooter right? Genius.
Anyone seen Cave live? I saw Grinderman last summer and it was amazing (though it was particularly bizarre when someone threw a pair of pants at the stage, only for Nick to pick them up and wear them hanging out of the top of his trousers...). Still haven't seen the Bad Seeds though, would love to after seeing their Glastonbury set on TV.

(in reply to Timmy_Brisby_05)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: The Nick Cave Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI