Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread Page: <<   < prev  56 57 58 [59] 60   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 24/2/2013 9:36:59 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: JV

Hola! I come asking for help.

Looking for a nice place in London for lunch next Saturday. To be more specific, we are planning on going over to Greenwich then back towards Tower Bridge for the Shaaaaaard and the Gherkin. We have been recommended All Bar One by The Shard but tombe honest I am after something a little less chain-y but still something akin to a pub.

I am going to do a proper internet search but thought someone here might have a suggestion. Thank you, good Empirites.

Greewich has some really good pubs but Charlton are at home on Sat and some of the better ones that do really good food like this one http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/111 will be quite busy. Not rowdy or anything but you might struggle to get a table.

There's a few closer to London Bridge like this http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/466 and then there's a few in and around Borough market and this is one of my favourite pubs in London http://www.fancyapint.com/Pub/london/market-porter/470 I've not eaten there but it's very good from what I know. Borough market gets busy, busy, busy on Saturdays though

Just down the road from the All Bar One by the Shard there's little Peruvian cafe called Tito's which is really nice. You can get a really good sandwich, as well as some the usual hot cafe food and some interesting Peruvian dishes.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 1741
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 24/2/2013 9:42:27 PM   
Rinc

Gypsy Moth in Greenwich. Might be quite busy on a Saturday though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1742
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 25/2/2013 9:48:13 PM   
JV

Wow, you guys are amazing! So far The Gipsy Moth has my vote. We are planning for an earlyish lunch (11:30-12ish) to avoid crowds so hopefully we'll be okay. We have previously found ourselves in London hungry at lunchtime surrounded by pubs which are too full for us to get a table so we plan to be prepared.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 1743
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 26/2/2013 5:30:50 PM   
Woger

I know it's a cliche but a good tikka masala is nice. I base mine on two recipes.
Use the marinade from this one (altough I do an equal mix of cumin and coriander of one teaspoon each)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Tikka-Masala/Detail.aspx

Then use this for the sauce, but I also add one teaspoon of paprika, some cardaomom seeds from two pods, about a half teaspoon each of cumin and coriander and chilli/cayene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J1CcY1sBho

I use heavy cream instead of yoghurt.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to chod burger)
Post #: 1744
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 27/2/2013 12:32:18 PM   
Skiba

I have to say I prefer yoghurt in a tikka masala as you've got a lot of sweetness and spice, it's nice to have a bit of sour.

I went to my local Indian last night and had a seafood tandoori mixed grill...bloody lovely! A whole squid, king prawns, salmon and a white fish which I think was hake.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 1745
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 6/3/2013 10:09:21 PM   
JV

So we went to The Gipsy Moth in Greenwich and loved it. Nice food, could do with a bit better presentation but it was delicious and that's the important bit. We went for an early lunch around noon and are glad we did as the place filled up swiftly while we were in there. A guy at the next table told his family it was a "rare treat" to be able to get a seat in there. So, thanks for the recommendation.

Now, on another subject. How to make a basic salad interesting? I made a salad to take to work for my lunch but it didn't taste very interesting. My policy is to just chuck anything in so it had spring onions, sweetcorn, cucumber, celery, lettuce, ham, green pepper, yellow pepper, egg, that's about it. Oh and honey & mustard dressing. I am not after something complicated or fancy, just something that doesn't cost the earth. Oh, and I hate tomatoes.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1746
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 7/3/2013 11:36:34 PM   
Hood_Man

I just add some Italian seasoning (literally just the pots from supermarkets called "Italian Seasoning"), a little olive oil and a small sprinkling of grated cheddar.

Does anyone watch the SimpleCookingChannel (click) on YouTube? Even if you're not much of a foodie, they're great just for the guys expressions when he tastes his creations at the end

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 1747
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 8/3/2013 12:34:16 AM   
Skiba

Beetroot and feta is really nice in a salad. A few ways to do it...use the stuff in vinegar and you don't really need a dressing (maybe a little oil) just dice with whatever other leaves and stuff you like in it. Pre-cooked without vinegar, diced but add something like cider vinegar. Both these add a bit of substance to a salad. Or raw beetroot just grated gives a different texture...not too much though.

Fresh herbs give a salad a nice kick too...parsley, coriander or mint leaves work really well, although not all together! But use the lighter coloured mint leaves rather than the thicker, darker ones.

My favourite dressing for a salad is just fresh lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and salt & pepper...add them all separately then just toss it all together.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1748
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 8/3/2013 12:39:53 AM   
Hood_Man

I want some thoughts from you guys about cupcakes. With next Friday being Comic Relief and all, I've decided to make cupcakes for the Comic Relief cake sale, and I was thinking about doing a simple plain cupcake recipe, with white icing and a red cherry in the middle. Red and white, you know, Comic Relief style.

...then I decided to make the icing lemon flavoured.

...now I've decided to add a red, strawberry flavoured centre. Not jame or anything, just red, strawberry flavoured cake mix in the centre so when people bite into it, they'll see a blow of red in there and it'll be strawberry flavoured.

Is that going to be too much? I'll try it myself over the weekend to see what it's like, but I'm wondering if it's better to keep things simple and maybe just make the centre red, without the strawberry flavouring?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1749
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 26/3/2013 12:45:11 AM   
Peppermint

Well, I wouldn't put lemons with strawberries, but maybe you're better at this than me

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1750
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 12/4/2013 9:50:35 PM   
Skiba

The nearest shop to me, which is, unfortunately, a Tesco Express has started doing these:

Seriously good! Get some if you can!

< Message edited by Skiba -- 12/4/2013 9:51:26 PM >

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 1751
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 13/4/2013 12:46:42 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

Well, I wouldn't put lemons with strawberries, but maybe you're better at this than me

I tried doing it, but the food colouring 7 strawberry essence made the insides too runny so the whole thing just collapsed.

Or something

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 1752
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 14/4/2013 8:39:57 PM   
Valanya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

I tried doing it, but the food colouring 7 strawberry essence made the insides too runny so the whole thing just collapsed.

Or something

Much better to use gel, paste or powder food colouring for anything like this - doesn't add any extra liquid.

I made these cupcakes a few weeks ago. The cake is chocolate, with vanilla swiss meringue buttercream and dark chocolate hand-piped shapes.

< Message edited by Valanya -- 29/6/2013 8:50:40 PM >

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1753
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 15/4/2013 9:22:20 AM   
UTB

Might make some big fat pancakes this morning...

(in reply to Valanya)
Post #: 1754
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 17/4/2013 5:25:55 PM   
Hood_Man

http://youtu.be/ZmLFmp5kJCk

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1755
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 21/4/2013 10:18:55 AM   
Skiba

[/quote]

Much better to use gel, paste or powder food colouring for anything like this - doesn't add any extra liquid.

I made these cupcakes a few weeks ago. The cake is chocolate, with vanilla swiss meringue buttercream and dark chocolate hand-piped shapes.

[/quote]
Holy shitballs! They look incredible!

I've got a bit of a craving for soup...quite possibly the dullest craving ever but this was whetted my appetite:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/20/nigel-slater-spring-soup-recipes

I really do love a good soup but I rarely eat it...my missus does an incredible beetroot and cumin soup which tastes, and looks, amazing. I'm thinking of making a batch to take to work for the week but not sure what to put in it. Any favourites from you guys? I've got a load of different beans (borlotti, cannellini, kidney) which would add a bit of substance but I've never used them in a soup before so not sure if they work...

(in reply to Valanya)
Post #: 1756
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 4/5/2013 5:08:30 PM   
UTB

Cinco De Mayo tomorrow (which Mrs UTB and always celebrate for a laugh) so I will be doing a slow cooked beef brisket chilli. Cant wait!

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1757
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 4/5/2013 5:10:43 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

Or something

I really hope you were talking about the cupcakes.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 4/5/2013 5:11:58 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1758
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 25/5/2013 11:31:02 AM   
Skiba

What are your thoughts on putting mustard on a bacon sarne? Just scoffed one down with ketchup but I'm gonna do the next one with english mustard as well.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1759
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 25/5/2013 2:54:25 PM   
sanchia

Personally I am not a bacon afficionado but i would think mustard would go well.

I have the strawberries and the unhealthy other produce (full fat cream cheese, condensed milk and double cream) so am going to make a few mini cheese cakes.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1760
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 30/5/2013 2:10:04 PM   
SWOTBM

I was feeling a bit nostalgic yesterday so I made boiled egg and soldiers. I felt like such a kid

Btw, pro tip when boiling eggs- don't drop them in the pan, they aren't very buoyant

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1761
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 30/5/2013 7:03:52 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

I was feeling a bit nostalgic yesterday so I made boiled egg and soldiers. I felt like such a kid

Btw, pro tip when boiling eggs- don't drop them in the pan, they aren't very buoyant

I've recently started putting marmite on my soldiers...works brilliantly

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 1762
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 31/5/2013 10:55:12 PM   
Mister Coe

A sausage sandwich with Marmite... bloody great.

Say what now?

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1763
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 8/6/2013 8:42:07 PM   
UTB

Bought a deep fat fryer today...(rotating one that uses half the oil). Had the most amazing skin-on fries...

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 1764
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 10/6/2013 10:37:17 PM   
Harley Quinn

Made the most amazing spicy peach and pineapple relish. I made the recipe up as went along.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1765
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 11/6/2013 12:38:29 AM   
Hood_Man

Pooooorrrrrrrrn!

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 1766
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 29/6/2013 9:04:10 PM   
Valanya

I tried cooking en papillote for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I got a fillet of salmon for each of us, but did them in individual parcels. I decided to do mange tout to go with the salmon, so figured I could cook that in with the salmon to save time.

I used basic baking paper for the wrapping (more info on cooking en papillote here.) Made a bed out of the mange tout and laid the salmon on top, then topped the salmon with finely sliced chili, garlic, ginger and coriander mixed up in a bit of olive oil, with a couple of wedges of line on top. Sealed both salmon fillets up in their parcels and stuck them in the oven for about 15 minutes on 180 degrees.

I forgot to take a picture after they were done, but I served them with a basic tomato salad (seasoned sliced tomatoes, onions and spring onions in olive oil) and french stick to mop up the oil. Delicious

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1767
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 16/7/2013 5:47:10 PM   
sanchia

The above looks very nice.

I have just ordered a few packets of these. I am experiencing buyers remorse and feel I may have made an error having looked into how hot they are.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Valanya)
Post #: 1768
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 17/7/2013 12:23:38 PM   
UTB

I never really believed that crisps could be that hot until I discovered some "hot" coated peanuts in New York (I forget the brand), they had 'normal' and 'hot' which in England means not-spicy and 'a bit of cayenne pepper'.

Even as a spicy food lover I couldn't manage more than about ten of them in a sitting. Good luck with the above, with both ends.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1769
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 17/7/2013 5:58:27 PM   
sanchia

I have been reading up on Ghost Peppers which they flavour the cracking with. I shall try it with trepidation.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  56 57 58 [59] 60   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread Page: <<   < prev  56 57 58 [59] 60   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI