Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 13/8/2012 9:00:36 PM   
Hood_Man

I ate celery earlier.

I've not eaten celery since I was about 9, when I absolutely hated it.

Turns out it was ok. I feel like I've passed my final hurdle towards maturity.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 1651
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 14/8/2012 12:32:43 PM   
great_badir

I boshed through an entire pack of Mcvities Gold bars on Saturday.

God, I love Gold bars.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1652
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 14/8/2012 12:37:20 PM   
st3veebee

I recently found out I am mildy allergic to gluten...which is in fucking everything.

Choosing gluten free meals and stuff is a pain in the ass...as well as explaining to people why you shouldn't eat biscuits and toast. Bleh.

I miss pizza.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 1653
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 14/8/2012 8:20:47 PM   
steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I recently found out I am mildy allergic to gluten...which is in fucking everything.

Choosing gluten free meals and stuff is a pain in the ass...as well as explaining to people why you shouldn't eat biscuits and toast. Bleh.

I miss pizza.

One of my friends (she runs a cupcake bakery) has an intolerance to gluten. It doesn't mean you have to cut out entire foods, it just means you might need to take a bit more effort in your cooking. Supermarkets these days have entire 'Free From' sections which will have gluten free pizza bases. And everyone knows the best pizzas are the ones you make yourself.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 1654
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 15/8/2012 12:00:45 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I miss pizza.

One of my friends (she runs a cupcake bakery) has an intolerance to gluten. It doesn't mean you have to cut out entire foods, it just means you might need to take a bit more effort in your cooking. Supermarkets these days have entire 'Free From' sections which will have gluten free pizza bases. And everyone knows the best pizzas are the ones you make yourself.

Yeah, I have come round to baking and cooking more from scratch now, and buying all those Gluten-free snacks...which are usually twice the price of normal and not half as tasty.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 1655
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 22/8/2012 5:55:43 PM   
Skiba

My missus' sister is coming over from Sweden tonight and apparently her boyfriend in quite fussy and is not that keen on trying new things. So, tonight's menu is Jamaican Brown Chicken stew! Masses of flavour from the Caribbean seasoning, thyme and a real kick from the scotch bonnets!

You eat what you're given in my house or you can make yourself a sandwich!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 1656
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 22/8/2012 8:46:40 PM   
UTB

Sounds awesome Skiba.

I had the double whammy of Falafel for lunch and curry for dinner!

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1657
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 22/8/2012 9:20:09 PM   
Woger

Any chance of a rough recipe Skiba? Sounds like it would be great for a crock pot. Are the scotch bonnets as hot as habaneros (they're insane)?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1658
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 22/8/2012 9:26:40 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Any chance of a rough recipe Skiba? Sounds like it would be great for a crock pot. Are the scotch bonnets as hot as habaneros (they're insane)?

They're about the same though Habaneros can be a bit hotter...

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 1659
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 22/8/2012 10:38:56 PM   
Skiba

I dunno...I'd say scotch bonnets are on a par with habaneros. Rarely use habaneros though so hard to say.

Anyway here's a rough recipe for the stew I did tonight. Serves four

8 chicken thighs
4-6 tbsp Caribbean all-purpose seasoning, or everyday seasoning
Good wad of dried thyme
3 spring onions sliced
2 onions chopped
3-4 cloves garlic
juice of 1 lemon or lime
salt and pepper
1 red/green pepper sliced
Chicken/veg stock to cover
1-2 scotch bonnets (I only used one tonight but 3 would give it a good whack)

Take the skin off the chicken thighs and drench in the all-purpose/everyday seasoning, thyme and some salt and pepper, and half the lemon juice. Marinate overnight or for at least a few hours. Fry the thighs in some veg oil until browned in a casserole or whatever, in batches if necessary. Spoon out with slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onions and fry for a bit. Add the garlic, chilli and peppers and fry a bit more. Put the chicken back in and the stock and simmer for 20-30 mins. Add some flour or corn flour if you want to thicken the sauce. Serve with rice or with some plain vegetables because you're a fussy bastard!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1660
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 1/9/2012 10:41:36 AM   
UTB

Breakfast this morning was awesome. Made a huge omelette filled with green and red peppers, mushrooms, cheese and jalapenos.

Sorted the hangover right out

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1661
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 1/9/2012 12:28:19 PM   
Valanya

I'm not even a fan of omelettes but that sounds good UTB

Tonight I'm making chicken in red pepper sauce, because it's one of my favourite meals and I'll be amazed if I have the time to cook much over the next few months. I've only started making it recently because I don't have the space for a food processor, but my parents recently gave me their old hand mixer which has a (really good!) stick blender attachment. Can't wait

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1662
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 9/9/2012 4:50:32 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valanya

I'm not even a fan of omelettes but that sounds good UTB

Tonight I'm making chicken in red pepper sauce, because it's one of my favourite meals and I'll be amazed if I have the time to cook much over the next few months. I've only started making it recently because I don't have the space for a food processor, but my parents recently gave me their old hand mixer which has a (really good!) stick blender attachment. Can't wait

Sounds good, Valanya.

I went shopping for some ingredients for a Chicken & Barley stew earlier, out of which I'm also making a curried leek and carrot soup and a chorizo, potato and onion soup too (got a freezer full of chorizo from a relative in spain..).

Soup season is upon us!

(in reply to Valanya)
Post #: 1663
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 17/9/2012 11:52:58 AM   
donethinking

After a stir fry at a friends house on saturday night I am now planning a trip to the chinese supermarket...on the list are

rice wine vinegar
fish sauce
ground nut oil
seasame oil
shrimp paste
spring greens

i'm sure there was something else too but that'll do for starters

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 1664
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 17/9/2012 12:00:33 PM   
sanchia

I have a week off and fancy doing something with Chorizo. I have a recipe for Chorizo and vegetable soup (although I am not certain if i can get the turnips at the moment) but want to know if anyone has any suggestions. I remember someone putting a Chorizo stew recipe up here once but can't find it.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 1665
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 17/9/2012 3:48:37 PM   
donethinking

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I have a week off and fancy doing something with Chorizo. I have a recipe for Chorizo and vegetable soup (although I am not certain if i can get the turnips at the moment) but want to know if anyone has any suggestions. I remember someone putting a Chorizo stew recipe up here once but can't find it.

I sometimes fry chorizo with prawns, squid rings & mussels with some asparagus mushrooms and noodles, its got plenty of flavour in it and not bad as a hangover cure too.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1666
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 17/9/2012 4:25:13 PM   
Skiba

Chorizo is one of my favourite things! Yeah I often do a chorizo stew with butter beans. Onions, garlic, smoked paprika, chillis and tomatoes with a bit of chicken stock...simple but so tasty.

It's really good cooked in red wine too...fry slices of chorizo and when they start to colour add a good glug of wine and a bit of vinegar and let it reduce down. It gives a real punch of flavour

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 1667
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 18/9/2012 12:44:02 PM   
sanchia

I'm presently eating some Chorizo which I have dry fried in a griddle pan along with some slices of pepper. When done I transferred to a baguette and then wilted down some rocket in the griddle pan and put it on top of the chorizo and pepper then poured on the remaining juice. It is very nice.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1668
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 18/9/2012 2:44:46 PM   
SWOTBM

I just, well actually a couple of hours ago, had a very tasty burrito for lunch. It was in a shop near Holborn tube station; whilst a little bit pricey, it was good eating- brown rice, black beans, grilled chicken, sour cream, salad, inferno salsa with a nice can of coke I am going back there tomorrow

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1669
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 19/9/2012 1:13:52 PM   
sanchia

quote:

I'm presently eating some Chorizo which I have dry fried in a griddle pan along with some slices of pepper. When done I transferred to a baguette and then wilted down some rocket in the griddle pan and put it on top of the chorizo and pepper then poured on the remaining juice. It is very nice.

In fact so pleasant and easy to make that I had it again today.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1670
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 19/9/2012 1:18:58 PM   
vad3r

Just having a late breakfast right now.

Finished two slices of wholemeal toast with light Philadelphia cheese and a Snickers bar (I know...). Now onto a big bowl of cereal, which today is a mix of Wheetabix and Cheerios.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1671
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 19/9/2012 1:25:31 PM   
Chief

Mixing cereal?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1672
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 19/9/2012 1:42:55 PM   
vad3r

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Mixing cereal?

I'm all out of my preferred choice, Bran Flakes.

I've revealed too much about myself in this thread.

quote:

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1673
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 19/9/2012 1:50:26 PM   
vad3r

Too make it worse, the Wheetabix refuses to be dissolved in the milk and my cereal now resembles wet biscuits with Cheerios stuck in it. It all looks a mess, frankly. Who knew cooking could be so hard?

quote:

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 1674
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 19/9/2012 6:47:43 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

Me and my mum are experimenting doing pulled pork in the slow cooker, you get the moisture and it does fork apart am just trying to get the sticky barbequey taste. My mum does a southern fried chicken ,flour, cinnamon, salt & pepper, chilli she tosses cubes of chicken than does drops it straight into the deep fat fryer. It goes crispy and the chicken stays moist. Yes we are slightly obsessed with food from the southern states of the US.

You MUST try this:

The following is enough to coat 8 large chicken portions
Plan ahead and buy the MSG from Amazon or eBay or a local Oriental supermarket. It's also known as Accent, Ajino Moto and Super Seasoning and makes a huge difference to the recipe.

This recipe is well worth the effort, it just needs a little advanced planning. Chips are an obvious side but I enjoyed it more with a crispy salad in a homemade vinaigrette.

All herbs are dried
Chicken portions (skin on)
1tsp oregano
1/2tsp chilli powder (1tsp if you want more of a kick)
1tsp sage
1tsp basil
1tsp majoram
1tsp black pepper, crushed
1-2tsp salt
1tsp paprika
1tsp onion granules
1tsp garlic powder
2tbs MSG (monosodium glutamate)
150g plain flour (sifted)
1ltr milk

1. Marinade the chicken in the milk overnight in the fridge.
2. Put the chicken in a saucepan and the same milk.
3. Heat until just starting to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Leave until chicken is cool enough to handle.
4. Preheat the deep fat fryer to 180c.
5. Grind the larger herbs until fine. Add the rest of the herbs and spices and mix well.
6. Add the herb/spice mix to the flour.
7. Dip the chicken pieces in fresh milk and coat well with the flour mix. Repeat this process once or twice more.
8. Fry the chicken pieces for 3 minutes and dry well on kitchen paper.

That's what we eat with our pulled pork it cuts the fat. The version my Mum prepares is from a Jewish Cook book and is funnily enough called "Jewish Coleslaw".

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 1675
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 19/9/2012 6:49:18 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

I grabbed a couple of peppered frying steaks from Morrisons last week and forgot about them in the freezer but I made them tonight. They were really bloody good. For frying steak, it was a good thick piece of meat. The only problem I found was the pepper seasoning that was on the steak cooked quicker than the steak. I usually cook my steaks on a high heat. The seasoning went BLACK and I flipped out because I thought they were burnt to a crisp. When I cut into my steak, it was a little on the other side of rare I don't like. A dark red colour. I like steak medium rare, but this was rare. I thought fuck it, I'm not messing about cooking the steak for longer as I was sat down at my dinner. It was actually really nice! Not chewy and lovely and supple. Hopefully I didn't contract mad cows disease though!

Also had a bit of inspiration tonight. Sliced up some leeks, chestnut mushrooms and kale and fried it all up in the wok. It was lovely! Quite proud of myself for coming up with that on a whim!

Add Bacon, a splash of fresh Chicken stock and a dash of wine if you fancy punching it up a notch.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 1676
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 29/9/2012 12:30:04 PM   
sanchia

I am trying a baseless baked cheesecake recipe which is from the sweary chef. I shall report back with regards to if it is any good.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 1677
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 10/10/2012 10:40:43 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

I am trying a baseless baked cheesecake recipe which is from the sweary chef. I shall report back with regards to if it is any good.

Any good?

Having seen THIS on Reddit, does anyone have any fast food horror stories to share? As a customer or an employee?

The only one I really have was when I worked at McDonalds 6 years ago, and I saw employees frying chicken burgers/nuggets and fish fillets, in the same oil that the veggie burgers were being cooked in. Nothing as a customer though, except one really disgusting BBQ pizza that consisted of mostly onions, bland sweetcorn, and watered down BBQ sauce. And possibly some cheese.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1678
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 11/10/2012 7:15:30 AM   
sanchia

It was not brilliant (I think the flavour was slightly subsumed by the baking) but a decent enough cheesecake. I think I may stick with my non baked one though,

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1679
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 12/10/2012 1:30:46 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man
The only one I really have was when I worked at McDonalds 6 years ago, and I saw employees frying chicken burgers/nuggets and fish fillets, in the same oil that the veggie burgers were being cooked in.

Unfortunately (for veggies), that is still VERY common.

Nothing really specific but, having colleagues who work in trading standards and food safety, apparently most people, if they were to witness it, would not eat food prepared and cooked in most standard pub and Indian restaurant/takeaway kitchens due to both hygiene and cooking methods.

Flipside of that, most people would also apparently be very surprised by how many Chinese and kebab takeaways rate very highly on all counts.

My first job was as a popcorn monkey at Showcase, but nothing dodgy went on - it was all very cleanliness and hygiene conscious. The only naughty thing that WAS encouraged was to use the soft drink syrup bags until they were empty rather than change them when the syrup level hit the "CHANGE ME NOW" marker, which would explain why, if you've ever had a coke in a Showcase that looked normal (or may have been lighter tinged than usual), it tasted of nothing but carbonated water.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 1680
Page:   <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI