Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 9/6/2012 2:04:28 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

The baking agenda for this afternoon consists of Strawberry and Caramel Chocolate Cup Cakes. Will post and later with updates.

HOLY SHIT! They sound good! Don't think I've has strawberry and caramel ones before

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 1561
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 9/6/2012 5:41:57 PM   
sanchia

I just purchased a hot dog at a place called The Banger Stop in Norwich. Butcher made sausages where you can actually see the herbs in the sausage (none of the processed stuff) and home made ketchup. What a fine hot dog!

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1562
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 9/6/2012 5:56:49 PM   
Sledge Hammer

First time venturing into the food thread.

Anyway.....just finished my dinner consisting of Cottage Pie (although I still call it shepherds pie but it was beef) with sugar snap peas. All homemade of course.

new sports forum - http://www.606v2.com

Check it out!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1563
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 9/6/2012 6:00:49 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

The baking agenda for this afternoon consists of Strawberry and Caramel Chocolate Cup Cakes. Will post and later with updates.

HOLY SHIT! They sound good! Don't think I've has strawberry and caramel ones before

They turned out quite well. A bit on the small side (I made 10, but eight probably would have been better use of the mix), but very moist. I made them with rapeseed oil rather than butter as I was cooking with the wee man and it makes it much easier for him to stir and help. Best thing is you can make them with Strawberries that are just a little too soft and squishy to eat normally, so you can use up potential discards.

150g of plain flour (+ half teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda)
100g of caster sugar
8-10 large strawberries
2 eggs
100g of Lindt Crispy Caramel Chocolate
70ml of rapeseed oil

Preheat the oven to 180C. Coarsely chop the strawberries and place in a bowl and mash until soggy with occasional lumps. Beat in the sugar, then the oil. Beat the two eggs in a separate jug and combine alternatively with sieved flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix slowly, making the figure eight with the spoon until combined. Finally add coarsely chopped chunks of the chocolate, folding just enough to spread evenly in the mix. Add to muffin cases and bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer runs clean. Remove from oven when done and allow to sit in baking tray for a few minutes before setting out on a wire wrack.

I topped with a condensed milk butter icing for extra caramellinessness.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1564
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 9/6/2012 6:28:11 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Amazing! I went to the taco truck today and they accidently made me a steak quesadilla instead of a chicken one, so they ended up giving me the other one for free. 14$ of food for $7! It's also much more than I can eat

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 1565
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 10/6/2012 8:48:52 AM   
sanchia

Rhubarb crumble today. The only problem is because i add more butter to make the crumble more like a shortbread crust I can't get rid of the smell of it off my hands no matter how much I wash them.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 1566
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 10/6/2012 9:58:32 PM   
steffols

My boyfriends mother makes the best Sunday roasts. Honestly never had anything like this in your life. His brother also makes a mean gravy from the juices. Absolutely heavenly.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1567
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 13/6/2012 5:04:00 PM   
Toby Monroe

I've just attempted my first sachertorte. I'm genuinely proud of the result. So proud I took a picture.

Writing sacher on top was the most nerve wracking thing I've done in the last 15 years. It was a little bit too the left so in a flash of inspiration I added an exclamation mark. Hopefully it won't taste like pap.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 1568
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 13/6/2012 5:17:21 PM   
jonson

I like your fake Blue Pearl granite worktops.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 1569
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 13/6/2012 5:19:01 PM   
Toby Monroe

You're not getting a piece.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1570
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 13/6/2012 5:20:14 PM   
jonson

I don't care, it looks like poo.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 1571
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 14/6/2012 11:38:02 AM   
Toby Monroe

I've stuffed some in an envelope and sent it to:

FAO Jonson
YMCA
Leicester.

I have to admit though it does taste a little bit poopy.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 1572
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 16/6/2012 3:04:13 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

I've actually been eating pretty healthily recently and even turned down the offer of a McD's today. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has tried these little lovelies;

(Sweet African Peppers with Feta Cheese).

? Absolutely delicious! The contrast of the sweet peppers against the feta cheese is a taste explosion and great (albeit addictive!) for snacking on.

Art

Post #: 1573
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 16/6/2012 12:33:38 PM   
sanchia

I've just tried venison for the first time (smoked venison to be totally correct). I am slightly undecided on it at the moment.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 1574
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 16/6/2012 7:07:08 PM   
gazpop

Venison is nommers. Although I haven't tasted it in years. We baited some lobster pots (cat-food) yesterday and tomoro we kayak out (weather and currents allowing) and hopefully it'll be thermidor Sunday!. Huzzah for the sea! Or fuck you sea where are my lobsters? I'll let you know.........

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 1575
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 18/6/2012 1:55:54 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Enjoyed some very delectable Salmon Sushi tonight. Yumski!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 18/6/2012 1:56:05 AM >

Art

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 1576
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 21/6/2012 9:13:39 PM   
Skiba

I cooked red gurnard for the first time tonight...what a beautiful and delicately flavoured fish and 1.90 for three whole fish! Just baked it with some olive oil and salt and pepper and then just did a lemon, butter and tarragon sauce to pour over it. Delicious!

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 1577
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 22/6/2012 3:39:03 AM   
Lazarus munkey

My first time on this thread. May start referring to it as 'home'.

I cooked Peshwari lamb curry last night and it was like being bummed in the mouth by a flavour monkey. Absolutely joyous.
All from scratch, of course. I used to use jars and cook-in sauces and convince myself they were a 'base' until I started to take the salt content of food seriously about 18 months ago. The only processed food I use now are stock cubes, sausages and condiments (yes, I know they're high in salt but I'm careful), everything else I cook from scratch.

Since taking this approach, I've realised the importance of planning and learned that:

1. If you're a family, eat together at the table whenever possible and turn off the TV. My wife, daughters and myself are much happier dedicating this time to ourselves and our marriage has benefited greatly.
2. Plan the meals for the week. An hour of planning over the weekend means that you don't fall back on junk because you can't think of anything to have.
3. Buy a slow cooker.
4. Do some prep the night before if possible.
5. Buy fresh herbs, chop and freeze them in plastic containers. Better still, grow your own but I can't be bothered.

I'm not saying this'll work for everyone but the difference this has made to my family life is staggering.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1578
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 23/6/2012 1:04:10 AM   
Quint

Well munkey, consider me inspired. I've just drawn up a 5 day meal list for next week and a big old shopping list. Our main reason for trying this out is that the better half and I tend to buy a lot of stuff we don't get round to eating and it goes off, thereby just wasting our cash. So hopefully your method will work for us... I will report back next week.

For those interested, the (rather basic) meals are:

Monday: Chicken Kiev and salad
Tuesday: Breaded White Fish (we're not picky which) with a carrot salad
Wednesday: Chicken burritos with chips and guacamole
Thursday: Strip steak with grilled green beans and tomatoes and chimichurri sauce
Friday: Pepperoni pizza

All hand made of course. Fingers crossed.

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 1579
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 23/6/2012 1:19:19 AM   
Lazarus munkey

Sounds delicious!

Jeez, if I actually inspire someone, I'm sure a little bit of cry might come out.

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 1580
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 23/6/2012 10:41:16 AM   
Skiba

This weekend is mine and the missus' 8th anniversary so yesterday, being huge cheese lovers, we just had cheese for dinner! Did a baked camembert with some crusty bread to dip in, and then a Somerset brie and two different types of cheddar with biscuits...I also made a spicy onion chutney to go with it. Think I've still got cheese sweats!

Then for tonight I'm doing a pork (pork is her favourite meat - arf!) curry which is kinda like a vindaloo but with fresh tomatoes in it too...very spicy and tangy and a bit sweet too with lots of ginger and garlic in the paste too. I'm using pork shoulder steaks, which are ridiculously cheap but need a long time to cook, so gonna get started soon.

Post #: 1581
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 26/6/2012 7:13:39 PM   
Lazarus munkey

Monday: Hoi sin beef stir fry (my 10-year-old daughter's birthday choice)
Tuesday: Tuscan chicken with pasta.
Wednesday: Cassoulet
Thursday: Chicken with tomatoes and coriander
Friday: Lasagne
Saturday: Junk at the Stone Roses gig.

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1582
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 27/6/2012 9:10:13 PM   
Skiba

Morrisons have started doing some new speciality sausages which look pretty good...I went for the merguez ones and they're currently cooking away (late dinner tonight!) and smell delicious! They also had some with chilli and fennel which should be good too...pork and fennel is such a great combo

Post #: 1583
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 27/6/2012 9:20:33 PM   
Quint

Sounds lovely Skiba, what are you having them with? Cajun Andouille sausages mixed into a spicy tomato pasta is pretty damn tasty!

Munkey, looks like a damn good week of food mate! So far my meal plan has gone to, er, plan... Chicken Kievs in honor of the Euros were good and the fish with carrot salad was great - Bobby Flay's carrot salad recipe btw. Tonight it's mexican.

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1584
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 27/6/2012 9:23:11 PM   
UTB

I had pork loin (crispy fat!), mash potato (through a potato ricer... genius and makes it so good), peas, carrots, fried red onion and lashings of gravy. Twas good.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 1585
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 27/6/2012 9:27:35 PM   
Valanya

I can't believe I've never been in this thread before The boyfriend and I cook the majority of our meals from scratch (aside from the occasional fish fingers or fish cakes) because I was brought up on home cooked meals every day, and after two years of student food I couldn't take any more ;)

Recently discovered that Sainsburys does 'basics' pollack, which I'm over the moon about because we're on a pretty strict weekly food budget and I love fish but could hardly ever afford it. We have their basics fishcakes quite a lot, but I'm planning on making some of my own soon (probably sweet chili, I think) and it means that I can have my favourite fish curry every couple of weeks too. Now I just need to find somewhere that sells cheap, free range chicken so I can have chicken in red pepper sauce every week and I'm sorted

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1586
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 27/6/2012 9:56:09 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quint

Sounds lovely Skiba, what are you having them with? Cajun Andouille sausages mixed into a spicy tomato pasta is pretty damn tasty!

Munkey, looks like a damn good week of food mate! So far my meal plan has gone to, er, plan... Chicken Kievs in honor of the Euros were good and the fish with carrot salad was great - Bobby Flay's carrot salad recipe btw. Tonight it's mexican.

They were very nice! Really good level of spice and a tang of lemon too...did some jersey royals and roasted artichoke hearts and a bit of salad with them. I've not had Andouille sausages before but just Googled them, and they sound right up my street! I love the variations of sausages from all around world and I intend to make it my mission to try as many of them as possible! I do think we have some of the best ones here in the UK, but I really love the smoked or cured types you get from Europe, in particular.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 1587
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 27/6/2012 10:04:50 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valanya

I can't believe I've never been in this thread before The boyfriend and I cook the majority of our meals from scratch (aside from the occasional fish fingers or fish cakes) because I was brought up on home cooked meals every day, and after two years of student food I couldn't take any more ;)

Recently discovered that Sainsburys does 'basics' pollack, which I'm over the moon about because we're on a pretty strict weekly food budget and I love fish but could hardly ever afford it. We have their basics fishcakes quite a lot, but I'm planning on making some of my own soon (probably sweet chili, I think) and it means that I can have my favourite fish curry every couple of weeks too. Now I just need to find somewhere that sells cheap, free range chicken so I can have chicken in red pepper sauce every week and I'm sorted

There're plenty of fish lovers in here Valanya, so you're in good company! Pollack is excellent and a really good, cheaper alternative...have a look out for whiting and pouting which I always get in my local supermarket, which is ridiculously cheap. Can usually pick up 3-4 decent size fillets for under 1.50. Mackerel and sardines tend to be quite cheap and they're two of my favourites...got two whole mackerel (gutted and headed) yesterday for 1.80.

< Message edited by Skiba -- 27/6/2012 11:53:20 PM >

(in reply to Valanya)
Post #: 1588
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 27/6/2012 11:33:24 PM   
Lazarus munkey

Had the cassoulet tonight, 2nd time I've cooked it and it was wonderful. Dead easy to cook.

Serves 4
3 tbsp sunflower oil
2 onions, chopped
8 sausages (Cumberland or Lincolnshire work well)
200g bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 can haricot beans
200ml-400ml (depending on how much sauce is required and the cooking method used) hot beef stock
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (2-3 tspn dried)
100g Gruyere cheese, grated (Cheddar works equally well)
1 French stick

1. Pre-heat the slow cooker (if using one) or the oven to 170 Celsius
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onions over a low heat for 5 minutes
3. Add the garlic, bacon and sausages and fry for a further 5 minutes. 8 minutes if using frozen sausages.
4. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the contents of the pan into a slow cooker or casserole dish.
5. Add the haricot beans, stock and parsley and stir gently until mixed.
6. Slow cook for 6 hours or 90 minutes in the oven.
7. Pre-heat the grill to medium
8. Cut the French stick into portions for each person and halve lengthways into a top & bottom half.
9. Lightly toast the bread.
10. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and toast again until melted.
11. Serve the bread with the cassoulet on top.

< Message edited by Lazarus munkey -- 27/6/2012 11:34:52 PM >

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 1589
RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread - 28/6/2012 12:06:22 PM   
Skiba

Not that I'm Mr Green or anything, but how environmentally friendly are slow-cookers? I'm assuming it's better than leaving your main oven on for several hours?

Post #: 1590
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: Nomnomnom - The Food Thread Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI