Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 4/9/2010 12:55:33 PM   
Jackal

Well, that was wonderful.

Jon Robertson seemed to think we played like Spain. "We just need to score a goal..." Very insightful, Jon. Couldn't have worked it out without you.

McCulloch just continues to barge his way through the opposition and has the temerity to be surprised when he gets booked for it. Brown lost it at times, as well. Thought he should have got subbed a lot earlier. Thought the Turkish referee had a great game, actually. Didn't stand for any shite from either side. Scotland probably should have won but McFadden really needs to start against Liechenstein. Also, where's Maloney? Could do a job even though he's pretty injury prone. Bit of invention and pace about him. Actually, I'm actually quite glad he wasn't playing. As he is quite injury prone, it's hard enough having him play for us (Celtic) rather than Scotland as well!

Anyway, not a bad performance. Encouraging that we can play well away from home but need to score! We haven't scored an away goal in competitive football in 2 years! And we've got to play the Czechs and some team called Spain.

Oh, and, Naismith? Jesus wept. Not to mention the welcoming back of the prodigal scumbags McGregor and the aforementioned McElbows. A substantial improvement is needed, Levein.

< Message edited by Jackal -- 4/9/2010 1:02:23 PM >

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 121
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 4/9/2010 1:30:24 PM   
big dawg

Faddy and Boyd will start against liechtenstein...we need to score a barrowload to get the fans a bit more interested. 2-0, even 3-0, while its 3 points, we shouldnt be happy with.

With the squad that was announced i'd have took a draw away to lithuania, but we were so dominant at times its got to feel like points dropped. Czechs should beat them so it could be crucial points dropped. Got to be disappointed we didnt have a wee bit more ambition and stick boyd on or faddy on earlier. Levein seemed happy to take the point and not lose. Played well, but for all Naismiths workrate, McFadden gives us so much more creatively. Thought Weir and Mcmanus strolled it, and everyone played well. Hutton stood out (again) but Brown was a bit of a let down though. A Lidl's Roy Keane if you ask me. Runs about snarling at folk like a hardman but you get very little else from him. Managers are afraid to drop him...would much prefer to see Dorrans on the park.

Anyway, Roll on Tuesday and (an expected) three points

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 122
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 5/9/2010 12:15:54 AM   
boaby

on a brighter note...

the U-21s got a draw in belarus with talismanic striker Chris Maguire netting the equaliser. To get into a play-off for the finals the young 'uns have to beat Austria at Pittodrie on Tuesday. To keep the kick-offs synchronised the game starts at 4pm. Booooooooo. Should be a fair number of local school kids there (freebies are usually dished oot) but had it been an evening kick off then the place would've been maybe half full. Still, Chris "Bebo" Maguire will get us through, I can feel it in my water.

As an aside, the best atmosphere at Pittodrie aside from Bayern Munich games I've seen was when we played ze Germans in a Euro U-21 QF 2nd leg. 1-1 over there. Watt, Wright, Jess and Booth fae Aberdeen in the team and Craig broon was manager, 3-1 down at half time. Won 4-3. Alex Rae, of all people, scored a screamer of a volley into the top corner in front of the old Beach End in the last 5 minutes. Place was absolutely jumping. When we actually produced and picked football players. Sigh.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 123
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 7/9/2010 6:57:33 PM   
boaby

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssss.

Aberdeen striker (you hear that McGhee, striker - not winger) Maguire scores 30 yard screamer into top corner in the last minute.

Scotland 2-1 Austria. Scots into the play offs.

Now hopefully the "men" can beat the might of Lichtenstein.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 124
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 8/9/2010 8:40:37 AM   
Qwerty Norris

JE-SUS CHRIST!!!

Not since Faddy's winner in Paris have I celebrated a goal quite in the same manner, but my GOD that was UNBELIEVABLY fortunate!

Utterly abysmal performance last night and I shudder to think what the fallout would have been had McManus not popped up with that winner. There are players in that team that need to take a long hard look at themselves. Fletcher, consistently good for Man Utd once again failed miserably to stamp his authority in a Scotland top. Brown is becoming increasingly a complete passenger whose contribution resembles little more than kicking people. Faddy was completely all at sea, constantly making the wrong decisions whilst his workrate was nowhere near good enough. The only player who deserved pass marks was Morrison, who's introduction went a long way to turning the game in our favour.

And YET, with the result in the Czech Republic it was the perfect night in terms of results and despite being completely rotten we're sitting pretty at the top of the group. Hopefully this will mark the turning point in our qualifying campaign - but make no mistake, we have to play A LOT better in the doubleheader next month (which knowing Scotland, I bet we will).

And yeah, that challenge on Hutton was a shocker.....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 125
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 8/9/2010 9:11:51 AM   
CORLEONE

God help you all

Champagne Charlie wasn't so happy after the game was he!?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 126
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 8/9/2010 4:48:08 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

God help you all

Champagne Charlie wasn't so happy after the game was he!?

Is he ever? His cheerfulness is about as limited as his vocabulary.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 127
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 8/9/2010 7:15:41 PM   
big dawg

shameful and embarrasing are just two words i'd use. Some of that lot need to have a long hard look at themselves after that. The three points merely papers over the cracks of the performance, but never have I saw Hampden seething like that. I left when Robson ballooned the last free kick over the bar, about two mins before we scored, but I honestly dont mind having missed it. Yeah I would have celebrated but more out of relief than joy. Quite possibly the worst I've witnessed us in the flesh, and a performance thats up there with anythin Vogts or Burleys sides produced.

Top of the group though

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 128
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 10/9/2010 12:25:47 AM   
boaby

Levein, in praising Morrison, mentioned the following:

tracked back well
protected his full back well
worked hard to win the ball back
composed in possession.

Now, this is a winger, against Lichtenstein, Lichtenstein!

No praise for his direct runs, his finding space, his good crosses, his willingness to dribble. No, no. no praise for attacking qualities, not for winger. That's the wrooooong message. Instead he praises the man who turned the game (Jesus H. Christ!) for 3 defensive attributes and one thing that any international footballer should be.

This is an international manager talking after a shocking performance at home to Lichtenstein. Attack, attack, attack. Praising a winger for defending! Against bloody Lichtenstein!

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage!

Also, Kenny Miller said we were "well in the game"... AGAINST LICHTENSTEIN!

Seriously. The whole lot were so far from a mentality that'll get us anywhere worth going it's beyond comical.

Urging caution (caution!) against Lichtenstein. The very cowardice of it was amply displayed by McManus' ludicrous defending for their goal.

Still, at least McCulloch's suspended.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 129
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 10/9/2010 7:32:13 PM   
big dawg

i actually thought mculloch played ok.....

the thing that annoys me is the whole need to play Scot Brown...with no room for him in the original 4-4-2 formation he employed, he tried to play him as a right winger. If he wanted the bite in midfield, he should have just went with McCulloch and Fletcher, and stuck with Robson on the right, who had a decent game against Lithuania and covered Huttons arse far more effectively than what Brown does/did. Brown just runs after the ball like a 10 year old in the school playground, he has no positional sense whatsoever. Whenever a pundit is asked what Brown gives to the team, all you get as an answer is that he brings "energy for 90 mins" or "plenty of commitment" thats the least I expect from someone playing for the national side...any professional footballer actually. I struggle to think of a decent match Brown has had for Scotland...one where he dominates the midfield like he should be doing.

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 130
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 13/9/2010 4:50:11 PM   
Lang

I was at Tannadice on saturday

#6 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 131
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 13/9/2010 9:11:29 PM   
big dawg

McGhee will get the bullet before the seasons out.....

On another note, Killie's Finnish revolution is underway, couple of cracking goals on Saturday. Eremenko looks like he could be a star, but we're still shakey at the back......Celtic on Sunday, big test for the new ,anager and team. I reckon a point is do-able

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 132
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 13/9/2010 9:46:35 PM   
boaby

nae danger McGhee gets binned. Nae danger at all.

Canna afford it. Got a stadium to build (in the middle of naewye), got literally hunners and hunners of debt; and I mean hunners!

we'll just have to muddle through, hopefully as a team, and maybe grind out a top 6 finish. Maybe.

Oh, the ref was rotten. Of course, but still, he was. So there.

Shady defense, bypassed midfield, shady positioning, questionable tactics, thin squad... aside fae that we're a nas bad team. Last season we were all those things except a team. So, progress.

Need teh young uns to push on.

The prospect of Ricky Foster vs Ryan Giggs looms on horizon... ludicrous. But then so was Ricky Foster against Lukas Podolski.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 133
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 17/9/2010 2:29:18 PM   
big dawg

Barry Ferguson can get to fuck

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 134
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 17/9/2010 3:15:51 PM   
Lang

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

Barry Ferguson can get to fuck

I second that!

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 135
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 17/9/2010 5:44:03 PM   
matthewforan

THIRD!!

why we talking about the wee shite?

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Lang)
Post #: 136
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 17/9/2010 5:57:44 PM   
Jackal

FOURTH!

He wants to come back to the Scotland team. If it was up to me, Captain Ned, Kris "with a 'K'" Boydychencko, Elbows McCulloch and the diving, cheating scumbag McGregor would be nowhere near the team after their previous shite.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 137
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 17/9/2010 6:02:56 PM   
matthewforan

Brown too. Get him to fuck, both with Celtic and Scotland.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 138
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 17/9/2010 6:08:33 PM   
Jackal

You hear those hilarious rumours that Inter, Juve and Man United are interested in him. Couldn't help but think "what, are they short of ball boys?" when I heard. AND, it'd be for 12M! The rumour's clearly a bag of shite. Although, stranger things have happened...

Post #: 139
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 17/9/2010 6:11:01 PM   
matthewforan

......Have they?

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 140
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 23/9/2010 1:39:12 AM   
boaby

Ferguson, Weir, McCulloch, Boyd, MacGregor. <------ those clown can p!ss off.

Dons win. Dons win. Dons win.

El capitano's injured! I know, I know, poor souls, I too feel the pain you all feel. The glorious leader and author of the commandments - for example: thou shalt not use a mobile phone on matchday - pulled a hammy.

Raith sworded by big Vern. Ludicrous comparisons abound already, I mean, it's nae like he's Paul Hartley or anything. Such phrases as "the new Duncan Shearer" have been bandied carelessly about. If it were so, if it weer so... 20+ goals and 3 hat-tricks by late November, these are the feats of the real Shearer. He has scored a screamer against the Jutes... I wonder... it's the hope that kills you (not the fall C.J.)

anyway. Now the big fish have been fried there's minor matter of the blue them this Sunday. We could see some tactical experimentation. Their horrific recent record on the hallowed turf could lead to an Old Trafford shattering 6 at the back. They'd be wise to employ a sweeper behind teh 5 to protect against the awesomeness of big Vern. We, on the other hand, can only play 4 at the back and 3 in midfield, for we have only 4 fit defenders and 3 fit midfielders. So prepare to witness teh staggering firepower of big Vern combined with Chris Bebo U-21 Leg-end Not McGuire but Maguire. May even unleash the Dazzler on them.

sh!tting bricks and praying to the Holy 'Tache

Post #: 141
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 23/9/2010 11:25:35 AM   
Lang

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

sh!tting bricks and praying to the Holy 'Tache

Right there with y boaby...a draw for the dons on sunday would be a bloody good result given the casualty list

PS Tag Riddle_Me_This

'Winter is Coming'

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 142
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 23/9/2010 5:13:35 PM   
big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's no chance on earth Hibs will finish second...on paper they have a good side, Riordan and Stokes are lethal up front, but they have a poor defence and a manager with no "Plan B"...I dont rate Hughes at all.

my mystic meg prediction from pre-season...

yeah Big Yogi's coat is on a shoogly peg as they say, all thanks to Mixu, sweet revenge for the big man after his shoddy treatment by the Leith Jakies. The Mixu revolution rolls on, Huns at home in the QF of the cup....bring them on!!

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 143
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 23/9/2010 9:55:07 PM   
boaby

punches exchanged in the hibees dressing room after the match apparently. Hibs, great value.

Belter of a draw for the diddy cup QFs.

Dons vs Worzel's Bairns
3 diddy games too, apparently.

There's that bloody hope again. Just winna die, pessimism only rarely rids that blasted hope from my mind.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 144
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 6/10/2010 12:46:44 PM   
Qwerty Norris

So Yogi got the heave ho then, good to see the managerial circus at Easter Road continue - I think Bobby Williamson was the last Hibs manager to have more than 2 seasons!  No idea who they'll attempt to bring in as manager but I might die laughing if they bring in Michael O'Neil. Jimmy Calderwood also has comedic value but his track record is actually better than he's given credit for so we'll see.

Gutted about the result last Saturday. I think given our endeavour we were worthy of a point and I'm still reeling over that supposed free kick Rangers got that led to Naiusmith's winner. I hate it too that the media seem to be celebrating the fact both the ugly sisters have won 7 out of 7, all it does it make me feel even more depressed about scottish football...

But hopefully on a lighter note, what's peoples thoughts regarding the international doubleheader? I think if we can get a point in Prague we are well on our way to 2nd place, whilst anything against Spain will be a bonus. A bit worried regarding the goalkeeping position with the beast carrying a knock and Gordon nowhere being match fit. Could Cammy Bell really be between the sticks on Friday? I like him as a keeper but it'd definitely be a baptism of fire!

What's the craic regarding Marshall as well? Is he injured or has he fallen out with Levein big time?

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 145
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 8/10/2010 11:35:33 PM   
big dawg

right so we set out with a team with a specific instruction not to get beat......then we lose a goal to a fucking set-piece!!!! I dont mind us being hard to beat but we should at least try and show SOME attacking intent.

Bollocks, plain and simple.

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 146
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 11/10/2010 8:55:26 PM   
boaby

I've been in a dark room for a coupla weeks so I'm gonna assume that Aberdeen beat Rangers 2-0, are still unbeaten at Eenvehrnayss and that Scotland played at least one forward in Praha against a formerly good Czech side.

What? No? Dinna believe ye. Canna be.

ffs.

Beyond anger. Disgusted. Yer Irish mannie called English in the Scotland on Sunday nailed it yesterday.

Potter can $%&* off.

At least the U-21s still play football. What Potter attempted last wik wiz naewye close.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 147
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 15/10/2010 7:56:55 PM   
big dawg

Aye, well the Spain game was good for a wee while. Atmosphere inside Hampden was fantastic (especially for midweek), best since the game against the Tallies a couple of years back. To be honest McGregor saved us from a hiding but for about 10 glorious minutes we had them on the rack .....but without doubt they were the best football side, I've ever had the privilege of watching in the flesh...they can be sleekit bastards at times and they can stick the boot in, but I can forgive it, just for the way they play. Alonso and Iniesta are on a different planet.

Back to normality and the drudgery of domestic footy, we've got a managerless HIbs this week. In all honesty I'd rather Yogi was in charge of them.

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 148
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 24/10/2010 2:20:25 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

All aboard the Celtic, never defeated always cheated, bandwagon which is due to be leaving at any moment.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 149
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 24/10/2010 2:23:17 PM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

All aboard the Celtic, never defeated always cheated, bandwagon which is due to be leaving at any moment.

Aye, there will be plenty of bitter consumed in this thread....

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI