Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 6/8/2012 4:11:27 PM   
big dawg

A rather dull start to the season. 0-0 against Club 12. They're not very good and we really, really, realllllly need someone up front.

Nice to see "Clangers" lving up to his nickname boaby

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 901
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 6/8/2012 5:43:13 PM   
London Calling

David Murray released a statement in which he tried to point the finger at the SPL for changing the rules. Rules which haven't been touched for years. Trying to muddy the waters re the dual contracts and continuing to claim they were non contractual loans - with scheduled repayment dates. Sigh.

Also, of course, tries to drag 'other' clubs into it, by which he clearly means Celtic. Double sigh.

I have decided to issue this statement because of the concerns which I have at the continuing attempts to inflict further punishment on Rangers Football Club.
While the "Newco" Rangers was rejected for membership of the SPL on the publicly stated grounds of sporting integrity, I would question whether this was the underlying motive for many who took this decision.

I am not totally convinced by the explanation that they were reacting to the opinions of the supporters of their individual clubs.
This, in my opinion, is a suitable answer to cover many other agendas.
I applaud the decision of the SFL to accept Rangers for membership and respect the decision of the member clubs of the SFL to admit Rangers to its Third Division.
The problems at Rangers have brought no credit to Scottish football and are a tragedy for the Club and for all those connected with it and who support it.

They cannot be condoned and it is appropriate that there should be a proportionate penalty for the Club for the events over the last year.
However, I urge all those connected with Scottish football to bring this sad affair to a close - now. Bayoneting the wounded is neither justified nor proportionate.
Nevertheless, I cannot be anything other than angered at the suggestion that Rangers should be stripped of titles or other competition victories.

This suggestion is an insult to the staff and players who achieved these successes thanks to skill, hard work and commitment and for no other reason.
It is also an insult to the thousands of Rangers supporters who spent their hard-earned money to support the Club they love.

I hope that those presently in charge of Rangers show sufficient resolve when it comes to resisting this move, despite the incentives being offered to do otherwise.
I believe that there is a misconception which may lie behind this suggested penalty and accordingly it is my duty to clarify certain matters.
During my stewardship of Rangers no rules were breached or circumvented and I reject and resent any suggestion that anything was done which amounted to cheating.
As was required of a PLC, all accounts were fully audited and made available to all entitled parties. All football rules were complied with. All enquiries from entitled parties or organisations were answered.
To those who criticise certain actions undertaken on behalf of the Club, I suggest that they familiarise themselves with all relevant rules before they come to any conclusions or express any opinions.
This is particularly relevant to the SPL rules where it would appear that there are efforts to retrospectively rewrite laws to incorporate items not previously covered.

The SPL rules variously required disclosure of all contract of service matters and all payments from a club to a player.
It would now appear that these are to be rewritten to incorporate non-contractual loans from independent third parties and other non-contractual matters.

If this is the case then press comment over the past few years would appear to indicate that several clubs other than Rangers may well have fallen foul of the soon to be changed historic laws.
It would also appear that the SPL is once again seeking to invest itself with a power of retrospective penalty beyond that prescribed in its own rules.

Much has been said and written about EBTs.
It should be noted that the tax treatment of these is an issue as yet unresolved and it is wrong to prejudge the outcome.
It must be stressed that the tax tribunal will determine the appropriate tax treatment in respect of the arrangements operated.

This is not a criminal matter and there is presently no question as to the legality of these schemes.
Rangers agreed contracts of employment with its players (and staff). The EBT scheme involved the contribution of funds into an offshore discretionary trust managed by independent trustees.
The trustees could and did make loans to individuals carrying interest with scheduled repayment dates.
There was no contractual or beneficial entitlement to the funds on the part of any individual and the monies paid to EBTs were not "remuneration" in terms of any rules applying to the Club.

Since 2001 when the EBT scheme was introduced, the amounts contributed were disclosed in the audited financial statements of the Club. These audited accounts were provided to the SFA and SPL as required.
As the law stands, it is the right of every taxpayer to minimise his tax liability.
For example, taxpayers are entitled to maximise contributions to pension funds and benefit from the resultant tax allowances. Tax AVOIDANCE is a right. It is tax EVASION which is a crime.
In December 2010, as a result of legislation changes introduced by HMRC, EBTs were rendered tax inefficient. Thereafter the Club made no further contributions to EBTs.

For the avoidance of doubt, many thousands of employees in many areas of business and commerce have benefited from EBTs.
Rangers sought only to provide financial security for players (and staff) within the rules of law and football. To suggest that this amounted to cheating in the sporting context is an allegation which is without any foundation.
I, of course, wish the "new" Rangers every success for the future. I have no doubt that the present generation of players and staff will make a positive and beneficial contribution to the SPL and, in due course, return the Club to a position of pre-eminence in Scottish football.
However, I am determined to support those who served the Club with such dignity and integrity during my stewardship.

< Message edited by London Calling -- 6/8/2012 5:44:43 PM >

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 902
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 6/8/2012 5:55:18 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

Ken min. Thon wiz ridiculous. If that sort of nonsense wasn't his style I'd be questioning his integrity. Absolutely woeful.

Someone told me that "The Most Successful Team In Dundee" (TMSTID) took 3k fans to your gaff; true or exaggerated? If true, is 3k-ish of a home crowd up or down for you lot? Any sign of Killie fans giving Johnson a big F.U. by not turning up?

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 903
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 6/8/2012 6:52:20 PM   
boaby

Scotland squad: pfffft.

Reporting Scotland leading with the fact that no 3rd division players are in squad. Shocker.

Levein, the muppet, insists the door isn't closed to 3rd division players. Shocker.

3 Scottish based players. Shocker.

Danny Fox? WTF? Rewarded for good form according to Vipond. Good form through the match-packed off-season presumably.

Scottish fitba needs such a sorting out.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 904
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 6/8/2012 7:44:22 PM   
big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

quote:

Ken min. Thon wiz ridiculous. If that sort of nonsense wasn't his style I'd be questioning his integrity. Absolutely woeful.

Someone told me that "The Most Successful Team In Dundee" (TMSTID) took 3k fans to your gaff; true or exaggerated? If true, is 3k-ish of a home crowd up or down for you lot? Any sign of Killie fans giving Johnson a big F.U. by not turning up?

To be honest boaby, the Killie fans are (as usual) divided on the whole issue. Some think that the only way to get rid of Johnston is through a boycott of season tickets, where others (me included) feel that this would be detrimental to the club. Johnston has us over a barrell in all honesty. He has done a good job over the past few years, I dont think any Killie fan can dispute that, but his contempt for us is incredible. The whole abstaining thing was to be expected from him, but to turn round and say its what the fans wanted, with only 36% voting "No" was incredible and, quite frankly, a whole load of lies. Unfortunately we're stuck with him. Rumours of a fan buy out type scheme (or enough to remove Johnston) are ongoing

There were a few flags and banners on Saturday which were apparently removed by the stewards (at Johnstons behest, no doubt) and a few chants but he'll get it worse at away games.

Dundee had about 2-2,500 'd have said. they "officially" only had 1800 but we're renowned for fudging the attendance numbers. Looked a helluva lot more than that. Our home gate was neither up nor down. Again, Johnston failed to engage with the fans and hardly tried to promote it for walk-up fans. Majorly disappointing, but just the usual from us. We're the most fickle fans you can get

RE: Scotland....the whole thing needs sorting out, starting with Levein. I have no doubt a Sevco player wll make a squad at some point

< Message edited by big dawg -- 6/8/2012 7:45:57 PM >

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 905
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 6/8/2012 9:01:29 PM   
London Calling

I take the opposite view - I think Levein was being diplomatic and I don't think he will ever consider calling up a Sevco player while they're that far down the divisions. He's basically said Div 3 isn't nearly competitive enough for a player to step up to international football, and his comments about Lee Wallace having made his decision speaks volumes.

He can never call up a Div 3 player no matter what club they play for.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 906
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 6/8/2012 9:09:58 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: London Calling

He can never call up a Div 3 player no matter what club they play for.

I thought there was no way an Old Money Division 3 player in England would get called up for Scotland...

I thought there was no way Gary Kenneth could get called up for Scotland...

Anyway, if one of the mercenary sporting lepers did get called up they'd only withdraw with a niggle ahead of their vital home fixture against Elgin City. Tough opponents are Elgin.

(in reply to London Calling)
Post #: 907
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 10/8/2012 3:36:32 PM   
London Calling

Celtic drew Helsingborgs in the Champions League qualifier and realistically should have a very good chance of making the groups... however, with Celtic you just never know.

Hearts drew Liverpool in the Europa and Motherwell drew Levante.

How do Hearts fans feel about getting Liverpool?

Some decent money-spinners going around anyway. Celtic have priced the qualifier reasonably, so that should hopefully be a full house.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 908
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 10/8/2012 4:48:57 PM   
boaby

Hope hertz get through. Hope 'well get through. Hope rasellickbyrawaybigmanbut get humped.

Pikeys got ruined, fermers got beat, 'well got spanked. Realistically hertz will get gubbed, 'well will get schooled again. Rasellickbyrawaybigmanbut will probably sneak through, make 10-15m by getting a lesson from even richer clubs in the "Not Necessarily Champions League". Scottish football will continue to be financially skewed. Talent will continue to drain. 3 seasons down the track Sevco will have sneaked back into some heinously rejigged top league. The "authorities" will continue their stewardship of the undeath of Scottish fitba. Booooooooo.

Anyway, Dons heading for 16k+ attendance vs Ross County. 7100+ season tickets sold. Disappointing, and yet remarkable given how crap we've been.

Signed Mark Reynolds again. Fears that this'll mean 3-5-2, Ando sweeping behind Considine and Reynolds with Naysmith and Jack as wingbacks. Rae, Ozzie and Hughes in midfield. McGinn and Vernon up front. Doesn't sound bad on paper, but it will be. 3-5-2 always is. Either that or Ando gets shunted to right back. A novelty to have enough decent players to have options. Crowbar Johnny Hayes in there somewhere.

Maybe Gavin Rae will get banned for his contract stuff when at them, as outed by rangerstaxcase. Seeing as even the Italians are making a decent fist of laying the smack down you'd think the SFA might be shamed into punishing folk. Juve manager suspended for 10 months not for participating in match-fixing but for not reporting what he knew to be ongoing. Imagine the carnage if the SFA banned everyone who knew about duel contracts at them... naaaahh, this is the SFA and Scottish football.

Post #: 909
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 10/8/2012 5:21:00 PM   
London Calling

McCoist and Green both served with a Notice of Complaint by the SFA. Hope McCoist gets absolutely hammered. Couldn't care less about Green, he's an idiotic old man.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 910
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 12/8/2012 6:07:35 PM   
London Calling

Well I was wrong.

Ian Black drafted into Scotland squad.

Post #: 911
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 12/8/2012 6:11:20 PM   
big dawg

quote:

Well I was wrong.

Ha ha, mate I was just coming in here to chin you for that....it's unbelievable. But not wholly unexpected. I'm actually embarrased about this. Players from the fourth tier in the international squad. I'm sorry I renewed my membership while that complete muppet Levien is still in charge.

Be interesting to hear what Avril has to say about this

< Message edited by big dawg -- 12/8/2012 6:12:47 PM >

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 912
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 12/8/2012 7:04:56 PM   
London Calling

quote:

quote:

Well I was wrong.

Ha ha, mate I was just coming in here to chin you for that....it's unbelievable. But not wholly unexpected. I'm actually embarrased about this. Players from the fourth tier in the international squad. I'm sorry I renewed my membership while that complete muppet Levien is still in charge.

Be interesting to hear what Avril has to say about this

Interested to see how Levein spins this after saying you can't play in Div 3 and be up to international speed.

Even more bizarre is that Black didn't get a sniff of a call-up despite years at Inverness and Hearts, yet a couple of games for Div 3 Sevco and he's in the squad

We were looking at joining the SSC a couple of months ago and I'm kinda glad we didn't if this is how it's going to be. I've actually defended Levein in the past and argued for him to be given a decent crack but it gets harder to take that position when he contradicts himself and calls up players from the bottom division.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 913
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 12/8/2012 7:15:12 PM   
big dawg

Its crazy and pretty much sums up everything thats wrong with Scottish football. The more things change, the more they stay the same

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 914
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 12/8/2012 10:52:30 PM   
boaby

Two hunner games wi' Caley and theTarts = 0 caps.

1 game for Sevco = call up.

National team can get to phuck. Seriously.

Jokes are funny. This is pathetic.

My interest these days is pretty much centred on seeing how far we can sink. This jakey mink Black was part of a midfield that couldn't beat Peterhead, a team mostly made from Aberdeen rejects. Also, this'll draw the crowds to Easter Road. Ach, I could spend more of my life going through the petty reasons and the important ones but we all know them.

Gads min.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 915
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 13/8/2012 1:53:51 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

Two hunner games wi' Caley and theTarts = 0 caps.

1 game for Sevco = call up.

National team can get to phuck. Seriously.

Jokes are funny. This is pathetic.

My interest these days is pretty much centred on seeing how far we can sink. This jakey mink Black was part of a midfield that couldn't beat Peterhead, a team mostly made from Aberdeen rejects. Also, this'll draw the crowds to Easter Road. Ach, I could spend more of my life going through the petty reasons and the important ones but we all know them.

Gads min.

And boaby hits the proverbial nail on the head, Because Black's pulling on the Blue shirt of Ipox he's straight into the Scotland Squad, we were going to go to the Wales v Scotland game in October, but I cancelled as I may end up under the knife at any time between now and then - quite glad I did know, as this is a bleeding shambles.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 916
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 14/8/2012 2:32:44 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

How do Hearts fans feel about getting Liverpool?

Looking forward to it obviously.

I just hope we at least make a game of it at Tynie & keep it ticking over for the return leg at Anfield. I'm certainly hoping for at least a much better performance than what we managed against Spurs last season at the same stage of the competition. We're more settled in the managerial department this time round, plus Liverpool don't have the same quality going forward as Arry's lot last year. There's no question we're underdogs, but you never know....

That said, we'll have to play a lot better than we managed on Sunday. Whilst it's good to keep the undefeated run against the wee team going, I'm worried about that midfield. McGowan, Barr & wee Robinson don't really look comfortable as a trio & with Sutton up front we seem a lot more content to just punt it up the park. The young lads McHattie & Patterson look like decent prospects, but I fear they'll get found out against stronger opposition so I'd get Grainger & Ryan back in those full back roles. I'd even consider giving Taoul a run in the team as he at the moment looks like the only midfielder we have who looks comfortable on the ball. Naturally we're going to miss Rudi & Black a lot this season.

Speaking of which, with a sevco inclusion in the Scotland squad, Levein better pray for the right results in the next 3 games. I sense a lot of knifes sharpening amongst the tartan army (and not just from here as well).

I still haven't renewed my SSC either, but I will go to the Serbia & Macedonia matches all the same. Nothing other than 6 points will inspire me to sign on again for another campaign though.

Anyone else mad enough to go to Easter Road on Wednesday night? I would, but I strongly object to paying in the region of 25 quid for a meaningless friendly - particularly when my seat for the Hearts Liverpool game a weerk on Thursday was a lot cheaper (missing Dylan Moran at the Playhouse as a result though).

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 14/8/2012 2:34:36 PM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 917
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 14/8/2012 9:33:36 PM   
boaby

Dons beat Mancs 2-1.

Johnny Hayes robbed Scholes and slotted past De Gea. Scramble in the Mancs' defence and young centre back Shaunessey tapped in to make it 2-0.

Anderson (nae oor een) pulled one back for Fergie's lads.

Cameos by Neil Simpson, Doug Rougvie, Brian Irvine, Dougie Bell, Steve Tosh, Dwight Yorke, Quinton Fortune, Clayton Blackmore... Darren Fletcher got half and hour and a standing ovation.

Great night for Simmy. Sell out crowd. Yaaaaaas.

Post #: 918
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 15/8/2012 9:53:43 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Good performance by Scotland in the second half tonight, hopefully we can carry these kind of results into the first few games of the WCQ.

The booing for Ian Black was embarrassing though. I know third division players shouldn't be in the squad, but really....

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 919
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 15/8/2012 11:31:39 PM   
boaby

I'd have booed the wee scrote just for signing for Sevco.

I'd have booed Levein for picking a 3rd Division player and booed him for picking a player from a club that don't pay their debts and then, rather than set about paying said debts off, spunk a wedge on mercenary sods to begin again the process that saw them buckle Scottish fitba and expose it for the sham it is.

But then I'd not pay the SFA my admittance money. Regan, Ogilvie, et al... phuck that.

First Scotland game I've not watched since I knew what football was and that Scotland played it.

Post #: 920
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 16/8/2012 12:50:42 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Well if that's how you feel, perhaps it's best that you just never go back. I don't care who they play for, I'll never boo a lad who puts on that dark blue shirt.

The folk who do, are just another example of a long-line of examples of what is totally & utterly wrong with Scottish football.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 921
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 16/8/2012 2:45:18 AM   
boaby

There have been all sorts of objectionable sorts have pulled on a Scotland top without a peep from me:

Gorum, the other Gorum, Gough, Weir, Ferguson, the big Ferguson, MacGregor, McCoist, donkey Dave McPherson, McCulloch, Naismith, Boyd, Hutton, etc...

None of those tubes signed for the wasters who want to be and yet don't want to be them.

Anyone with half a brain knows Sevco are shambles. They're trying - successfully it appears - to lumber the SPL with their domestic football debts. I guess the clubs in Europe can swivel. Meanwhile, the wee scrote Black - after making a fuss when not getting paid at the Tarts - signs for a fair wedge in the knowledge that businesses and clubs are being screwed. The gype chose to sign for a 3rd Division side for what is rightfully someone else's money.

I don't want folk like that representing Scotland and I'm not going to support them or the addled brain who picked him.

Levein, the muppet, went from all but closing the door on Sevco players to picking one as back up unlikely to get on to throwing the lad on as a big F.U. to those who criticised his decision. The man's a bampot. 3rd division players playing for Scotland, and it will be plural soon enough, is ludicrous.

People expressing their rage and displeasure at, and opposition to, the wrongness of this nonsense are not the problem. The halfwits creating the nonsense are the problem. I wonder how big a number was taken off the attendance because of the Sevco rep. getting called up. I read they were expecting a sell out. Looked nowhere near that on SSN.

I've no patience for this drivel. If sport isn't sport then there's no point. Nothing about this Sevco is sporting. Nothing about picking one of their players is sporting. Phuck that sh!t.

< Message edited by boaby -- 16/8/2012 2:46:16 AM >

Post #: 922
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 16/8/2012 3:46:18 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

There have been all sorts of objectionable sorts have pulled on a Scotland top without a peep from me:

Gorum, the other Gorum, Gough, Weir, Ferguson, the big Ferguson, MacGregor, McCoist, donkey Dave McPherson, McCulloch, Naismith, Boyd, Hutton, etc...

Why should they attract a peep from you? They play(ed) for Scotland? Domestic football is irrelevant in this context.

quote:

Meanwhile, the wee scrote Black - after making a fuss when not getting paid at the Tarts - signs for a fair wedge in the knowledge that businesses and clubs are being screwed. The gype chose to sign for a 3rd Division side for what is rightfully someone else's money.

He didn't make a fuss at all at Hearts (you're getting mixed up with someone like Ryan Stevenson). He got on with it, did some painting & decorating gigs to make ends meet. Hibbies latched onto this, ridiculed him over it & then he opted to paint Easter Road maroon when we stuffed them in the new year derby. That's the end of it.

quote:

I don't want folk like that representing Scotland and I'm not going to support them or the addled brain who picked him.

Yet considering you've been inclined to support Scotland despite the list of names above, perhaps you're using this an excuse to be apathetic to the international cause?

quote:

Levein, the muppet, went from all but closing the door on Sevco players to picking one as back up unlikely to get on to throwing the lad on as a big F.U. to those who criticised his decision. The man's a bampot. 3rd division players playing for Scotland, and it will be plural soon enough, is ludicrous.

I don't agree with it either, but I wont lose sleep over a late call-up to cover absentees for a meaningless friendly. I'll reserve judgement when the qualifying campaign actually takes shape. I won't however like you take wild stabs in the dark over his character.

quote:

People expressing their rage and displeasure at, and opposition to, the wrongness of this nonsense are not the problem. The halfwits creating the nonsense are the problem. I wonder how big a number was taken off the attendance because of the Sevco rep. getting called up. I read they were expecting a sell out. Looked nowhere near that on SSN.

Oh I beg to differ!

These muppets booing & spouting insidious remarks are just as detrimental to the development of the Scottish game as the idiots who run it. This poison that the Old Firm have inspired (either between themselves or from club supporters such as yours & mine) is one of the major turn-offs for people (I don't go to league games against Celtic any more for this precise reason). You'll have generations of folk in this country neglecting our game because they simply do not want to be a part of or exposed to this blinding hatred, all in the name of sport FFS. Unless there is an abandonment of this vitriol, it will forever ensure that we'll never be able to work constructively together & make the game better for all of us. We'll stick to our dark, depressing bigoted bile & collectively, we'll all slowly die as a result.

And for the record, the attendance was ALL about the expense. To suggest thousands of folk binned their tickets after hearing Black's call-up is foaming at the mouth lunacy.

quote:

I've no patience for this drivel. If sport isn't sport then there's no point. Nothing about this Sevco is sporting. Nothing about picking one of their players is sporting. Phuck that sh!t.

They're in the third division, you're in the SPL. Perhaps if you & others put as much energy into supporting Aberdeen as you do in bashing a form of Rangers, then events like "sell-out Saturday" would attract a lot more than 14,000.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 923
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 16/8/2012 6:19:28 PM   
boaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

Why should they attract a peep from you? They play(ed) for Scotland? Domestic football is irrelevant in this context.

The Gorams' paramilitary drivel, Gough just because, Weir for taking the huff and quitting after being exposed by a Faroese school teacher, Ferguson and MacGregor for their boozing and petulant V flickage, the big Ferguson, Hutton, Naismith, McCulloch and Boyd for being animals. And the lot of them had a remarkable tendency to get 2 day niggles.

quote:

quote:

Meanwhile, the wee scrote Black - after making a fuss when not getting paid at the Tarts - signs for a fair wedge in the knowledge that businesses and clubs are being screwed. The gype chose to sign for a 3rd Division side for what is rightfully someone else's money.

He didn't make a fuss at all at Hearts (you're getting mixed up with someone like Ryan Stevenson). He got on with it, did some painting & decorating gigs to make ends meet. Hibbies latched onto this, ridiculed him over it & then he opted to paint Easter Road maroon when we stuffed them in the new year derby. That's the end of it.

I thought I read a news report about Black's side gig in which an unnamed first team player was quoted. Being a cynical sort I guessed the unnamed player was Black. He still signed for Sevco while other in the position he was in remain out of pocket.

quote:

quote:

Yet considering you've been inclined to support Scotland despite the list of names above, perhaps you're using this an excuse to be apathetic to the international cause?

I am not apathetic. I am p!ssed off. It's not an excuse it a reason. One of a number. Black being selected is a symptom of the disease that persists. A lack of principle.

quote:

quote:

I don't agree with it either, but I wont lose sleep over a late call-up to cover absentees for a meaningless friendly. I'll reserve judgement when the qualifying campaign actually takes shape. I won't however like you take wild stabs in the dark over his character.

Scotland games aren't meaningless. My considerations on his character and managerial ability are just that. Considerations. Based on observation.

quote:

quote:

Oh I beg to differ!

These muppets booing & spouting insidious remarks are just as detrimental to the development of the Scottish game as the idiots who run it. This poison that the Old Firm have inspired (either between themselves or from club supporters such as yours & mine) is one of the major turn-offs for people (I don't go to league games against Celtic any more for this precise reason). You'll have generations of folk in this country neglecting our game because they simply do not want to be a part of or exposed to this blinding hatred, all in the name of sport FFS. Unless there is an abandonment of this vitriol, it will forever ensure that we'll never be able to work constructively together & make the game better for all of us. We'll stick to our dark, depressing bigoted bile & collectively, we'll all slowly die as a result.

bigoted? Good een. We need to force the SFA to step up and run the game as a sport and ensure clubs honour their debts. They've shown they are reluctant to do that in their lax supervising and ponderous response (how can Ogilvie still be in a job?). The SPL are a self-interested cartel only forced to do something close to the right thing by fans withholding season ticket money. The SFL have more backbone. How can Scotland fans force the SFA to do anything? Withhold travel club subs, stop attending Scotland matches or make a point in games. I'd be as p!ssed off if it was AFC who'd been liquidated, re-born, elevated to senior football, splashing cash after a fudge allowed them to and then had one of their mercs picked for Scotland. It's just wrong. I'm not going to support what I think is wrong.

quote:

And for the record, the attendance was ALL about the expense. To suggest thousands of folk binned their tickets after hearing Black's call-up is foaming at the mouth lunacy.

I didn't suggest thousands binned tickets. I think a fair few may have decided not to pay in on the night. I know a few who chose not to go out of principle.

quote:

quote:

They're in the third division, you're in the SPL. Perhaps if you & others put as much energy into supporting Aberdeen as you do in bashing a form of Rangers, then events like "sell-out Saturday" would attract a lot more than 14,000.

I don't support AFC because they're in the SPL. I support them because they're a football club. Football is a sport. If Scottish football isn't run based on what's right and what's fair then 20k through the gate is nothing to me. I pay attention to Sevco and their accelerated rehabilitation because it exposes the fudge factory that is Scottish football governance. AFC have done about as much as they can, however reluctantly. 13k Dons fans (more than showed up for recent games against them) at the Pitt for Ross County and 7100+ season tickets after the gash we've endured is not bad. And that's without considering:

Scottish football just now is at best tainted. The system hasn't been fixed. The voting system in the SPL remains unchanged. The TV and sponsorship deals are not split equally. Financial regulation is not strong enough or thorough enough. Most of those at the top remain. The SFA remains unchanged. The investigation into the biggest case and longest period of corruption in the history of Scottish football is either at a standstill or moving at a snail's pace.

Post #: 924
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 19/8/2012 7:29:31 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

The Gorams' paramilitary drivel, Gough just because, Weir for taking the huff and quitting after being exposed by a Faroese school teacher, Ferguson and MacGregor for their boozing and petulant V flickage, the big Ferguson, Hutton, Naismith, McCulloch and Boyd for being animals. And the lot of them had a remarkable tendency to get 2 day niggles.

Boaby, whether it's your club or country, there has always been an undesirable that puts on the shirt at some point. Unless they're proven to be murderers, racists, sex offenders or otherwise; I've no interest in their character or life off the pitch & will back them every moment they're out there doing their job & privilege.

quote:

I am not apathetic. I am p!ssed off. It's not an excuse it a reason. One of a number. Black being selected is a symptom of the disease that persists. A lack of principle.

If he or a sevco player is picked for the games in March or June, I'll take your point. It was a late call-off in the middle of August for a friendly fixture, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I also think it's sad that this has overshadowed what on the whole was a very good night for Scotland.

quote:

Scotland games aren't meaningless. My considerations on his character and managerial ability are just that. Considerations. Based on observation.

Meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but I accept that no Scotland game is "meaningless" in terms of development & gaining an insight into how we're looking.

There's no doubt that since his tenure; Levein has made some baffling decisions which have overshadowed the good work he has done & put even more pressure on him to deliver in the WCQ's. I still though don't see what benefits there were in booing a player making his Scotland debut.

quote:

bigoted? Good een. We need to force the SFA to step up and run the game as a sport and ensure clubs honour their debts. They've shown they are reluctant to do that in their lax supervising and ponderous response (how can Ogilvie still be in a job?). The SPL are a self-interested cartel only forced to do something close to the right thing by fans withholding season ticket money. The SFL have more backbone. How can Scotland fans force the SFA to do anything? Withhold travel club subs, stop attending Scotland matches or make a point in games. I'd be as p!ssed off if it was AFC who'd been liquidated, re-born, elevated to senior football, splashing cash after a fudge allowed them to and then had one of their mercs picked for Scotland. It's just wrong. I'm not going to support what I think is wrong.

I understand what you're saying; but how does booing a player playing for their country achieve what you believe needs to be done?

For my money, all it does it's reinforce the fragmanted nature of our game. That's something we need to get past if we're ever going to be able to reform.

quote:

I don't support AFC because they're in the SPL. I support them because they're a football club. Football is a sport. If Scottish football isn't run based on what's right and what's fair then 20k through the gate is nothing to me. I pay attention to Sevco and their accelerated rehabilitation because it exposes the fudge factory that is Scottish football governance. AFC have done about as much as they can, however reluctantly. 13k Dons fans (more than showed up for recent games against them) at the Pitt for Ross County and 7100+ season tickets after the gash we've endured is not bad. And that's without considering:

Scottish football just now is at best tainted. The system hasn't been fixed. The voting system in the SPL remains unchanged. The TV and sponsorship deals are not split equally. Financial regulation is not strong enough or thorough enough. Most of those at the top remain. The SFA remains unchanged. The investigation into the biggest case and longest period of corruption in the history of Scottish football is either at a standstill or moving at a snail's pace.

I agree with you, but I still don't see how booing a footballer has a positive affect over this correct picture that you paint.

There is an investigation happening. It may not be moving as fast as we like, but it's on the move at the very least. Rather than remain entranced over the events at Ibrox, we need to start thinking about ourselves. How we can all make things better. How we can argue & put forward the case for the reforms the game so badly needs. My biggest fear out of all of this is that the obsession with Rangers has distracted everyone over what is important, and that if we continue to have our eye on that, any chance for meaningful change will pass....again.

Anyway, back to the football....

Didn't go to Tynie this weekend, but still, really disappointed with the game yesterday after catching up with it.

I suppose it's a positive to be 2nd top & undefeated after 3 games, but we've yet to play for 90 minutes. Too much complacency in key spells of the game that will be punished by the better sides. Midfield still looks unbalanced & I really worry about up front if (probably when) Sutton gets a knock. Got to raise our game big time on Thursday night in order to avoid a massacre. On the plus side, Liverpool looked rank yesterday as well.

Novi had a good game though & scored a fine goal. Hopefully more to come from him in a starting sense.

Bit harsh on Dundee today as they competed equally for most of it. Russell really was the only difference (corker of a 2nd goal btw)..

Gutted for County as well. Free kick was a cracker.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 925
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/8/2012 11:24:19 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Good result for Celtic tonight. Looked a wee bit ropey in places but one cannot underestimate the value of a Scottish side getting an away win in europe - particularly when it's in the champions league.

Hopefully Motherwell & my own team can keep the trend going on Thursday. Not holding my breath obviously...

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 926
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 24/8/2012 1:20:21 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Proud of the effort the guys put in last night, just gutted that it was decided by a fifa-style cutback goal. We deserved a lot more but lacked that bit of composure in the final third (casing point Driver's chance near the end). Particularly disappointed that we didn't really give Reina too much to do.Then again I don't recall Jamie McDonald having many saves to make either.

Great atmosphere too, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a european night at tynie.

As for Liverpool? Wee Sterling looks like a prospect. Good on the ball, just lacking that end product. And Agger was his usual commanding self - typifying why I have him in my dream team.

Ach well, a cheeky 2-1 win at Anfield & we're sorted.

Wish I was going....

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 927
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 31/8/2012 10:23:40 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Awfully quiet this thread at present. Presumably not enough breaking news at Ibrox then?

100s of millions of pounds between the sides, yet only 1 goal away....

Epic performance yesterday, so proud of the players. Had we panicked less often in the final third & didn't get as much of a nosebleed when Reina dropped a clanger, an enormous scalp could have been on. 40,000 liverpool fans drowned out by 2,000 jambos all night long as well - magnificent support.

There may be a colossal difference in terms of money, but I think we proved yesterday that that's the only real meaningful contrast between clubs north & south of the border in the 21st century.

No doubt we won't recapture that performance against Dundee on Sunday & the fixtures beyond - but here's hoping.

Apparently Sevco have put forward bids for Temps & another currently unnamed Hearts player (rumoured to be McGowan, could also be Barr or Driver), sincerely hope they both rebuff - but I'm fearing the worst.

Stevo seems to be heading back to us as well, hope that's not viewed as a replacement.

Oh and no Rangers players in the Scotland squad, so you can all stop foaming at the mouth....

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 928
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 31/8/2012 2:23:35 PM   
Jackal

Thought you were very unlucky, Qwerty.

Would have been some scalp! Only watched the first half of the first leg but I made sure I watched all of the second.

As you say, a wee bit more guile in the final third and it could have been better. Was impressed with Templeton and McDonald, especially. I've got quite a few mates who support Liverpool but it would have been funny if you'd managed to hold on, force extra-time and sneaked something after that.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

Post #: 929
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 1/9/2012 12:34:33 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackal

Thought you were very unlucky, Qwerty.

Would have been some scalp! Only watched the first half of the first leg but I made sure I watched all of the second.

As you say, a wee bit more guile in the final third and it could have been better. Was impressed with Templeton and McDonald, especially. I've got quite a few mates who support Liverpool but it would have been funny if you'd managed to hold on, force extra-time and sneaked something after that.

To be honest, I'm not sure we would have survived an additional 30 minutes as we looked almost dead on our feet. We were right to push for a second & with a bit more composure, the unthinkable could have happened.

As for Templeton? Pathetic really.

Sometimes the mentality of footballers just astounds me. Opts to drop 4 divisions & waves goodbye to a potential international career...for money?

What a guy....

Phuck it, he was inconsistent anyway.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI