Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 7/5/2010 7:11:42 AM   
big dawg

still alive and kicking for some of us!

the relegation battle isnt over, the mighty Killie only need a point tomorrow to stay up. Quite possibly the worst season in my memory of supporting them. Surely to fuck we cant lose at home to Falkirk!!

its live on Sky if anyones interested?

anyone?........

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 61
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 9/5/2010 12:46:01 AM   
tommyjarvis

Jesus, if we can't even beat a shower of jokers like Kilmarnock then we definitely deserve to go down.

Ah well. We'll be back.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 62
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 9/5/2010 12:04:16 PM   
big dawg

i resent that statement!! Your manager is a twat by the way, but the support you had down was a credit to you. If you do come up next season I just hope we dont pass you on the way down. I fear for Killie next year. We got out of jail a bit today, think Finnigan missed a sitter with a couple of mins to go, but the result mid-week kept us up, while I think Falkirk have been really poor after the split. I suppose the league table doesnt lie, falkirk were the worst team over the season (and I think you were bottom for the majority of it), and we were the second worst

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 63
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 18/7/2010 11:26:51 PM   
MJ100AD

I am so glad the World Cup is over because now we can get back to real football.  This is my prediction for the league next year.
1.  Celtic
2.  Hibernian
3.  Dundee Utd
4.  Motherwell
5.  Hearts
6.  St Mirren
7.  Rangers
8.  Hamilton
9.  St Johnstone 
10.  Inverness
11.  Kilmarnock
12.  Aberdeen

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 64
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 18/7/2010 11:32:53 PM   
Felix

Hmm, wonder who you support...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 65
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 18/7/2010 11:33:21 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: MJ100AD

I am so glad the World Cup is over because now we can get back to real football.  This is my prediction for the league next year.
1.  Celtic
2.  Hibernian
3.  Dundee Utd
4.  Motherwell
5.  Hearts
6.  St Mirren
7.  Rangers
8.  Hamilton
9.  St Johnstone 
10.  Inverness
11.  Kilmarnock
12.  Aberdeen

Now that's a bit of a stretch in the SPL thread isn't it?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 66
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 19/7/2010 9:32:52 AM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

1.  Celtic
2.  Hibernian
3.  Dundee Utd
4.  Motherwell
5.  Hearts
6.  St Mirren
7.  Rangers
8.  Hamilton
9.  St Johnstone 
10.  Inverness
11.  Kilmarnock
12.  Aberdeen

arn't u a charlton fan? what u know what real football is

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 67
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 19/7/2010 12:39:21 PM   
big dawg

quote:

1.  Celtic
2.  Hibernian
3.  Dundee Utd
4.  Motherwell
5.  Hearts
6.  St Mirren
7.  Rangers
8.  Hamilton
9.  St Johnstone 
10.  Inverness
11.  Kilmarnock
12.  Aberdeen

Fancy a bet that Rangers wont finish below 2nd???

Apart from that brief moment of lunacy the rest isn't too bad looking.

I do think St. Mirren and Hamilton will struggle more this season, flirting with relegation, and Inverness will do ok.

Motherwell have lost some of their best players from last season in Ruddy, Coke and Jutki...Juktie...Jitk...the lad from Everton so might not finish as high as fourth.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's no chance on earth Hibs will finish second...on paper they have a good side, Riordan and Stokes are lethal up front, but they have a poor defence and a manager with no "Plan B"...I dont rate Hughes at all.

Aberdeen are rubbish, probably the worst side I saw last season, but they wont go down (though i'd love to see it)...cant see McGhee lasting all season though

Hearts will do ok, Kyle will do a good job for them without hitting 15-20 a season and with a bit more strengthening in midfield, to replace Kingston and Stewart I reckon they'll be in the top 4...along with Dundee Utd again.

St Johnstone will carry on their good work from last season and might sneak into the top 6, if not, they wont be far away, and the enigma that is the mighty Killie will struggle again. I predict we'll be near the bottom pretty much all season, but I do fancy us to stay up again...which has got to be the target. We'll put our faith in Mixu and live in hope that a wealthy Arab businessman watches "The Scheme", feels sorry for us and decides to turn us into the "Man City of the North"

As for the "Gruesome Twosome", "The Twisted Sisters", "The Old Filth", "Scotlands Shame", "Middlesborough Reserves"....whatever name you want to call them, they will, again, be battling for the title and the lucrative prospect of getting knocked out in Champions League Qualifying. The Impetus has to be with the Green half, having a manager in place who seems to know what the club is about ("Celtic Minded", anyone? ) and I honestly think Ledley is a great buy/steal. I fancy them this year again, though I did fancy them last year when they were doing all the buying and the other lot weren't. As for the Blue half, well someone is going to have to replace Boyds, 30 goals a season (good luck Kyle Lafferty ) and they got rid of a captain in waiting in Thomson, but "The Albino Turncoat" is a good manager, as proved over the past two years when he's won the league with one of the worst Rangers sides in living memory

Anyway, here's to another season of over-priced, poor quality spectacle, watching the same teams over and over again until you want to stab forks in your eyes, only briefly interspersed with getting knocked out the cup to a lower league side in january. Cant Wait

< Message edited by big dawg -- 19/7/2010 12:40:31 PM >

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 68
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 19/7/2010 1:15:17 PM   
CORLEONE

Great assessment of the Jock game there, dawg.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 69
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 19/7/2010 1:49:10 PM   
big dawg

call me a cynic.....

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 70
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 19/7/2010 11:02:54 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

1.  Celtic
2.  Hibernian
3.  Dundee Utd
4.  Motherwell
5.  Hearts
6.  St Mirren
7.  Rangers
8.  Hamilton
9.  St Johnstone 
10.  Inverness
11.  Kilmarnock
12.  Aberdeen

arn't u a charlton fan? what u know what real football is

Hardy fuckin ha.

And seriously, text message language?

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 71
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 20/7/2010 11:31:41 PM   
MJ100AD

I can hardly wait for the implosion in the Sky League to happen.  It's going to be great.  It's going to be amazing actually. 

I think Celtic potentially have a good midfield.  Brown and Maloney are very good players.  If Paddy McCourt could stay fit he'd walk into the Barcelona team. Ledley looks like a good, skillfull, attacking player.  Juarez is supposed to be a good player, and I think Niall McGinn is a player of some potential. 
We are terrible in defence and up front though - although The Human Weapon, Hooiveld, and Rasmussen might turn out to be good players.  Murphy seems like a talented player too - hopefully he'll do well.

I think Celtic will probably have the league won by Christmas.  I really fear for Rangers this season.  I would love to see Hibs and Dundee United have good seasons and knock Rangers down to 4th. 

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 72
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 20/7/2010 11:33:17 PM   
Felix

What I love about Scottish football is how rational the fans are...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 73
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 20/7/2010 11:44:53 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I think Celtic will probably have the league won by Christmas.

Well that'll be an exciting season then!

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 74
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 12:11:01 AM   
MJ100AD

It will be good because from about January on we'll be able to relax and play great football.  The players will have more freedom to knock it around and not have to worry so much about the result.  Also, we'll be able to play more youngsters - there are actually a lot of very promising young players at Celtic, and more opportunities in the first team will really bring on their development.  Plus, if Hibs are challenging for second place we might be able to do them a few favours.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 75
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 12:14:50 AM   
Felix

I'm still laughing at imagining Paddy McCourt walking into Barcelona's midfield.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 76
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 12:49:32 AM   
MJ100AD

Go to YouTube and type in Paddy McCourt - The Derry Pele

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 77
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 12:54:18 AM   
Felix

Anyone looks good on Youtube.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 78
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 8:13:54 AM   
big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

we're not all Old Firm fans you know....i'm completely rational about my teams chances this season...Zilch!!

Be aware, you'll never get a reasonable debate with an OF fan

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 79
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 8:19:24 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

quote:

we're not all Old Firm fans you know....i'm completely rational about my teams chances this season...Zilch!!

Sorry, should have changed that to include Old Firm fans.

And I know, but its fun, like poking a crocodile with a stick...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 80
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 8:39:10 AM   
King_Bard

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

quote:

Sorry, should have changed that to include Old Firm fans.

And I know, but its fun, like poking a crocodile with a stick...

Or firing at a crocodile with a catapult...

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 81
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 8:42:54 AM   
jonson

For the record I am a Hearts fan, have been since I was 11. Leicester first and foremost, but Hearts a close second.
Tragically I have never seen them play live, I've only been to Scotland once.

Paddy McCourt. The bearded Messi.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 82
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 9:10:49 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

I can hardly wait for the implosion in the Sky League to happen.  It's going to be great.  It's going to be amazing actually. 

I think Celtic potentially have a good midfield.  Brown and Maloney are very good players.  If Paddy McCourt could stay fit he'd walk into the Barcelona team. Ledley looks like a good, skillfull, attacking player.  Juarez is supposed to be a good player, and I think Niall McGinn is a player of some potential. 
We are terrible in defence and up front though - although The Human Weapon, Hooiveld, and Rasmussen might turn out to be good players.  Murphy seems like a talented player too - hopefully he'll do well.

I think Celtic will probably have the league won by Christmas.  I really fear for Rangers this season.  I would love to see Hibs and Dundee United have good seasons and knock Rangers down to 4th. 

That the Maloney that set the Sky League alight when he was at Villa? And is that also the McCourt that has been linked with a move to Blackpool? Ledley's only gone there cos no-one in the Sky League deemed him good enough to make the step up.

The Jock league was absolutely awful last season. Rangers pissed it with their worst team for decades. This season it will be even worse.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 83
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 4:56:28 PM   
MJ100AD

Yeah thats the ones.  Maloney and McCourt (the bearded Messi) have had their problems with injuries - Maloney never did himself justice in the Sky League at all.  However, I think they are two very talented players, by any standards, but they obviously have to stay fit.  I don't know much about Ledley, but from the little I've seen of him he does look like he is a good player.  Maybe he is the kind of player that Celtic have to bring in now - talented but incomplete, and Celtic have to work on his deficencies.  Maybe that is why noone in the Sky League was willing to pay 5 million for him - I don't know, but he deserves a chance to prove himself.

There is another YouTube video of a Celtic player that is pretty good   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92SHAINKec   I think he might just be a good signing. 

I'm sorry to see McArthur and Wilson leave the SPL because they are very good players, however, people shouldn't get too depressed about the Scottish Premier League.  There are teams that play good, passing football.  Hibs and Dundee United may very well have good seasons - I think Hibs have added to their team, so they should be able to improve on last year.  I think Hearts and Motherwell will be strong too, and difficult to beat. 

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 84
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 7:15:18 PM   
big dawg

I'm actually glad they've left...As I say, I'm a Killie fan and we'll never be challenging for titles so seeing these young players move down to England can only benefit the National team, which I am just as passionate about (if not more sometimes). Seeing these young players not be seduced by the bright lights of Glasgow makes a welcome change....all too often i've seen some players who have looked real prospects (Riordan and Naismith spring to mind) move to Glasgow and see their careers stall. I know you'll argue, Wigan, Middlesborough, Birmingham etc aren't as big a clubs as Celtic or Rangers, and they arent, the level they are at, and the players they will face each week are a big step up from the Scottish game. I see Scotland as a stepping stone for players now. the only way they'll improve, and therefore improve the national side, is to get out of the country. And if the national side improves, I reckon it will have a knock on effect on the domestic game.

If Wilson sticks in down at Liverpool, I think he'll have a chance, especially with Hodgson in charge, and could well make the first team in a year or two. You could argue that He'd be better off staying here for another season and the looking for a move, but training with Torres, Gerrard, Cole and co will benefit him as much as playing against the guff thats up here. Plus Rangers will get horsed out the Champions league again. It will do him no good at all getting rogered 3 or 4 nil when they come up against decent European opposition.

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 85
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 8:30:51 PM   
MJ100AD

I think Wilson has a good chance at Liverpool too, and I agree - he probably has a better opportunity of improving by going down to play in England.  It's just a shame that the SPL's overall quality has diminished because of the loss of Wilson, McArthur, and Thompson too.  But I agree that it should be better for the national team.  
Scotland has Gordon, Darren Fletcher, Steven Fletcher, McFadden, Caldwell, Hutton, O'Connor, Adam, and now Wilson all in the Premiership.  We've got a few players at Middlesbrough too, and some others in the Championship.  It is a good group of players, and they are playing at a high level every week.   

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 86
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 21/7/2010 8:54:16 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

Go to YouTube and type in Paddy McCourt - The Derry Pele

He is the daddy after all, hope that he doesn't leave and get his chance.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 87
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 22/7/2010 1:17:13 PM   
big dawg

quote:

I think Wilson has a good chance at Liverpool too, and I agree - he probably has a better opportunity of improving by going down to play in England.  It's just a shame that the SPL's overall quality has diminished because of the loss of Wilson, McArthur, and Thompson too.  But I agree that it should be better for the national team.  
Scotland has Gordon, Darren Fletcher, Steven Fletcher, McFadden, Caldwell, Hutton, O'Connor, Adam, and now Wilson all in the Premiership.  We've got a few players at Middlesbrough too, and some others in the Championship.  It is a good group of players, and they are playing at a high level every week.   

to be honest mate....with the standard that i watch at rugby park every second week or so, the loss of these players doesnt make much of a difference. After the "quality" that was on show last year, I dont think its possible for the SPL to slip to a lower standard. Its currently as bad as its ever been

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 88
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 22/7/2010 11:38:06 PM   
MJ100AD

I won't argue that the SPL has some serious problems, but I honestly think we put ourselves down too much.  I'd say Dundee Utd have their best team in years.  I think Hibs have a good side - and they have the best attack in the SPL.  Celtic have to improve on last season - it would be impossible not to.  Rangers still have a good team, and a very good manager, although their squad is slight.  Motherwell won their game tonight - I hope they continue to improve under Brown.   
I imagine it would have been very dispiriting for a Scottish boy at Ibrox to be trying to compete with a player like Brian Laudrup, for example.  Now the youngsters have much more opportunities.  You might have more talented 16, 17, and 18 year old boys being able to adjust to first team football - because they have more of a chance now. 
I think we have teams that are improving.  I think this season will be a better one than last year's.  We'll see more young Scottish players.  And, I think, our national team has a chance of getting to Euro 2012.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 89
RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 - 23/7/2010 11:20:43 PM   
boaby

Ah-ha the annual beginning of season rant.

Aberdeen are indeed crap. Continuing the tradition of shambolic pre-season by getting gubbed 3-1 by Highland League Fraserburgh and beaten by Dunfermline. I await with trepidation news of our game with Tamworth tomorrow.

I have no optimism. bottom 6 looms. Lee Hendrie, he winna be cheap, if he actually signs. Mark "no more trialists McGhee takes in 6 trialists. Best players are teenagers. Experienced players are crap. Squad is tiny.

Very little interest beyond Aberdeen and Scotland. Other teams, probably sh!te. Rangers, hilariously skint - awaiting "eccentric" refereeing decisions to keep the title close and tabloid journos in what's laughably called work. Rasellickbigmanbyraway, care.

What is currently bothering me is that Terry Bootsya is in the local "news" paper more regularly now that ICT are back. Booo.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to MJ100AD)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Scottish Football Thread 2009/2010 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI