Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

FlashForward - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> FlashForward - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FlashForward - US Speed - 24/7/2009 8:59:31 PM   
Captain Black

No space between words: their idea, guv!

This is a new American series - an adaptation, a very loose adaptation as I understand it, of the book, Flash Forward (see the difference?) and has a really great hook. It follows an 'event' that causes everyone on Earth to blackout for a short period, experiencing visions of their future. Part of the marketing speak involves discussions about cause and effect and pre-determination, and there's the element that those experiencing the flash forward were doing whatever it was they were doing during their blackout; so they'd lose control of their cars, machinery, etc, and the accompanying consequences.

It's really one of the few 'interesting' (by my reckoning) new network shows, and clearly makers ABC have it in mind as the new Lost. Joseph Fiennes, Jack Davenport, John Cho, and people whose names don't start with J are among the main cast.

In a move that I wouldn't have put good money on, Five has bought the UK rights, a slightly bolder choice from their usual MO of getting procedurals, as reported here. There's also a link to a youtube trailer on that page. And ignore the 13 episode bit: if it's succesful they'll milk this sucker for all it's worth.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 25/9/2009 9:19:47 PM >

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]
Post #: 1
RE: FlashForward - 24/7/2009 9:44:08 PM   
Peppermint

See, this may be a worthy replacement for House

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 2
RE: FlashForward - 24/7/2009 9:50:55 PM   
Captain Black

Well, Five effectively bought The Mentalist as House's direct replacement, but it's been losing viewers fairly steadily they might be really regretting that about now (other behind the scenes stuff I'm not aware of notwisthstanding). This is a fairly early buy I believe, but as there's precious little else of interest from the networks this year, this is probably as safe a programme to get as anything.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 3
RE: FlashForward - 24/7/2009 10:49:50 PM   
richCie

hang on...didnt i see a trailer for this like 6 months ago (probably an exaggeration)
i cnt remember it looking particularly good but wasnt as bad as that awful day one trailer (and i had such high hopes) so might be worth a look i spose

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 4
RE: FlashForward - 25/7/2009 1:17:17 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

No space between words: their idea, guv!

This is a new American series - an adaptation, a very loose adaptation as I understand it, of the book, Flash Forward (see the difference?) and has a really great hook. It follows an 'event' (in the book it's triggered the activation of the large hadron collider at CERN) that causes everyone on Earth to blackout for a short period, experiencing visions of their future. Part of the marketing speak involves discussions about cause and effect and pre-determination, and there's the element that those experiencing the flash forward were doing whatever it was they were doing during their blackout; so they'd lose control of their cars, machinery, etc, and the accompanying consequences.

It's really one of the few 'interesting' (by my reckoning) new network shows, and clearly makers ABC have it in mind as the new Lost. Joseph Fiennes, Jack Davenport, John Cho, and people whose names don't start with J are among the main cast.

In a move that I wouldn't have put good money on, Five has bought the UK rights, a slightly bolder choice from their usual MO of getting procedurals, as reported here. There's also a link to a youtube trailer on that page. And ignore the 13 episode bit: if it's succesful they'll milk this sucker for all it's worth.

You lost me here. Shame.

Post #: 5
RE: FlashForward - 25/7/2009 9:12:50 AM   
OddCinema

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

And ignore the 13 episode bit: if it's successful they'll milk this sucker for all it's worth.

Could it be that they're trying to follow HBO's format for The Wire? I'm guessing it's more because they don't want to distract from Lost's final season, but I really enjoy the hour-long episodes, rather than 40 minutes.

Post #: 6
RE: FlashForward - 25/7/2009 9:24:31 AM   
Captain Black

Almost everything gets a 13 episode pick up to start with once it goes from pilot stage and into production, which then gets extended (the 'back-end') if and when the programme in question becomes succesful. The only network shows with 13 episode seasons are those slated as mid-season replacements that get renewed, which in most cases (unless they're cancelled the subsequent year) will have a 22+ episode season the next year. And Lost, which they've still bumped up to 18 episodes (well, 16 two of which are doubles).

Invisiotext:

(in reply to OddCinema)
Post #: 7
RE: FlashForward - 25/9/2009 8:31:57 PM   
Captain Black

Pretty damn good. Not perfect - there's bit of dodgy dialogue, in particular it's up to Fiennes to deliver the exposition as he's the main character, and it's really heavy-handed, but the opening stuff is spectacular and it sets everything up really well. I won't go into greater detail until more people have seen it, but yeah: it matched my expectations.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 8
RE: FlashForward - 25/9/2009 11:56:29 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I have to agree that it was pretty good, It held my interest for the most part, although there were parts where the dialogue was a little off, notably the FBI meeting after the event. However the end scene means that I will be watching next week despite my suspension of disbelief was shattered a number of times during it.

It strikes me as quite a good premise, as we've been given a sneak peak of a number of end points for the series end, I just wonder how they could carry it on for a number of seasons with the same premise, unless they show another aspect of the aftermath. FlashForward UK anyone?

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 9
RE: FlashForward - 26/9/2009 12:10:13 AM   
igotnewlegs

Not overly impressed. A good start but crammed a bit too much in. Dialogue on the whole was good apart from when they felt the need to explain to the viewer what was going on. Its not gripped me in the same way as other programs but I'll give it a few more episodes because the premise is interesting.

Anyone else spot family guy in the FBI?

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
Woody Allen

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 10
RE: FlashForward - 26/9/2009 12:13:21 AM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

Not overly impressed. A good start but crammed a bit too much in. Dialogue on the whole was good apart from when they felt the need to explain to the viewer what was going on. Its not gripped me in the same way as other programs but I'll give it a few more episodes because the premise is interesting.

No but I did spot a very blatant Oceanic Airlines billboard in the background, which I kind of liked. Let's face it it's not going to be high drama, but it could well be a nicely diverting bit of schlock for the end of the week (or Saturday morning hangovers)

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 11
RE: FlashForward - 26/9/2009 12:49:14 AM   
The Mighty

As I wrote in the UK thread, I though the pilot was silly, but ultimately entertaining stuff. The acting and writing weren't the best, but it moved fairly quickly, with an ending intriguing enough to make me want to watch next week, which is all you can really ask for in a pilot. Although I agree that a two hour premier would have made the events unfold a little smoother, I'm actually glad they crammed so much into the first episode. The episode wasn't the most elegant, but its fast paced may help assure audiences that they won't have to wait years for answers, which is a problem I think a lot of the other serialized drama looking to replace Lost have suffered from. Surface, Invasion, Jericho and The Nine all crashed and burned pretty quickly.

As for the question of how long they can run with this premise, I hope they have a solid plan for what occurs when they finally reach the date of their flash forward, and if not, I hope they do as much as they can with the premise before having to stretch it out over a number of years.    

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 12
RE: FlashForward - 26/9/2009 12:50:35 AM   
Reidy

quote:

ORIGINAL: igotnewlegs

I did indeed. Was struck with 'where do I know his face from?' until he spoke and it clicked.

Overall I enjoyed it. The opening was excellent, and a fine set up for the rest of the series. Flagged a bit after that, but the final scene sets up the next couple nicely.

(in reply to igotnewlegs)
Post #: 13
RE: FlashForward - 26/9/2009 3:10:05 PM   
Jeffrey

Submit your own flash forward experiences here:
http://www.jointhemosaic.com/site/index.html#/MAP

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Reidy)
Post #: 14
RE: FlashForward - 26/9/2009 5:18:51 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Mighty

As I wrote in the UK thread, I though the pilot was silly, but ultimately entertaining stuff. The acting and writing weren't the best, but it moved fairly quickly, with an ending intriguing enough to make me want to watch next week, which is all you can really ask for in a pilot. Although I agree that a two hour premier would have made the events unfold a little smoother, I'm actually glad they crammed so much into the first episode. The episode wasn't the most elegant, but its fast paced may help assure audiences that they won't have to wait years for answers, which is a problem I think a lot of the other serialized drama looking to replace Lost have suffered from. Surface, Invasion, Jericho and The Nine all crashed and burned pretty quickly.

As for the question of how long they can run with this premise, I hope they have a solid plan for what occurs when they finally reach the date of their flash forward, and if not, I hope they do as much as they can with the premise before having to stretch it out over a number of years.    

Well, its based on novel so I'm guessing they know where they're going unlike the make-it-up-as-you-go-along Lost.
Anyway, the first episode was OK, but the characters aren't that interesting which could be problematic.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 15
RE: FlashForward - 26/9/2009 8:30:31 PM   
ChickMagnet

I really enjoyed it, however even ten years later I can't see John Cho and not instantly think of American Pie.

Plus as other people have said - the ending makes you interested for more. One big problem I had with Lost was that I always read the spoilers for Lost before I'd seen the episode, if this show takes off it may be hard for me to resist making the same mistake.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 16
RE: FlashForward - 27/9/2009 3:14:03 PM   
themightyhutch

I quite enjoyed it. It didn't grab me immediately like Lost did, but it actually did quite well. Some of the effects weren't great, but it was actually quite interesting to watch, and whilst I expected something similar to the ending to happen eventually during the show, I thought it was a really good ending, and I'll definitely be tuning in for more. Serious props for it having Seth MacFarlane which was an interesting turn but it's all good.

Although a really really unsubtle Lost reference in there.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 17
RE: FlashForward - 27/9/2009 4:27:18 PM   
Timon

I really liked it. Fantastic opening, intresting premise and continued the trend of having a Brit lead a US program.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 18
RE: FlashForward - US - 27/9/2009 4:57:38 PM   
Captain Black

Most of the main cast's British (or at least born here): Fiennes, Walger and Davenport.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 19
RE: FlashForward - US - 28/9/2009 10:37:11 AM   
Spartacus

Got to the end of the show and wanted to watch the next episode, so that's a plus point for me. I generally don't get on with pilot episodes as they try and cram as much info in as they can so you are up to speed by episode 2. Was quite shocked with the scene with the helicopter and the office block, at least this is set in LA so not too bad 

Overall, I thought it was alright so will stick with it for a while.

The Emperor... wants to conquer outer space. Yoda... wants to explore inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the light and dark side of the force.

Post #: 20
RE: FlashForward - US - 28/9/2009 3:06:00 PM   
Beno

Why is it on C5 here .... you cant Sky+ on C5s channel's !?!?

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Spartacus)
Post #: 21
RE: FlashForward - US - 28/9/2009 10:38:12 PM   
squeezyrider

I don't have any problems with  sky+on Channel 5.

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 22
RE: FlashForward - US - 28/9/2009 10:42:41 PM   
elab49

Nor do I - you can record from any channel.

Have you tried the manual recording if you're having a problem, Beno, just to see if that works? Although I'd call Sky themselves if I were you.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 23
RE: FlashForward - US - 29/9/2009 5:18:00 PM   
Jeffrey

New US poster:

Wong Kar-wai News:

http://wongkarwainews.wordpress.com/

Wrestling gifs tumblr:

http://ilovewrestlinggifs.tumblr.com/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 24
RE: FlashForward - US - 29/9/2009 5:47:01 PM   
beebs_

Brits! Brits (almost) everywhere!

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Jeffrey)
Post #: 25
RE: FlashForward - US - 2/10/2009 9:14:29 PM   
Captain Black

Episode 2 "White To Play".

Solid follow up. Nothing incendiary. Some promising humour on display, particularly from Courtney B. Vance, who's topping the 'best character' power rankings for me. Most of the other characters remain a bit one-note. Jack Davenport really sold his key scene too.

I feel like I should be more affected by the cliffhanger(s) than I was; they were good but didn't have that 'I've got to watch the next episode right now' quality that all of the best cliffhangers do.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 26
RE: FlashForward - US - 3/10/2009 12:25:00 AM   
beebs_

Hmmm. OK....

It was OK. Nothing special. I was sitting there waiting for almost that everything that happened to happen. Nothing surprised me.

My bold crazy statement that you all can laugh at me about later...

That female agent who is pregnant in her flash forward is pregnant with dead Kno's kid! Boooooooooooo!

Random thought... was that guy who set off the explosion the dude in the X Files ep Theef/in the MJ vid You Rock My World.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

Post #: 27
RE: FlashForward - US - 3/10/2009 2:03:01 AM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spartacus
Was quite shocked with the scene with the helicopter and the office block, at least this is set in LA so not too bad 

?

Anyway, episode 2 didn't really grab me, will give it a couple more episodes though.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Spartacus)
Post #: 28
RE: FlashForward - US - 3/10/2009 10:38:03 PM   
thaiboy

having watched the first 2 episodes i'm hooked, i hope they dont drag it on like lost, but if its successful they more than likely will...boooooo

Post #: 29
RE: FlashForward - US - 4/10/2009 10:44:48 AM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spartacus
Was quite shocked with the scene with the helicopter and the office block, at least this is set in LA so not too bad 

?

Anyway, episode 2 didn't really grab me, will give it a couple more episodes though.

I think ol' Spartacus is referring to something flying into the side of a tower, very similar to the way it happened on 9/11.

I enjoyed the 2nd episode, wasn't as action-packed as the first episode but I wouldn't expect that, I mean if they did you'd really have to be suspending disbelief in the story a bit too much.

One theory I've got is that this D Gibbons dude is going to abduct Jack Davenports kid and Penny from Lost's kid and thats why they're in the same building in the flashforward, just being there to comfort each other.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> FlashForward - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI